What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (3 Viewers)

excited for him to make reference to this for the next 5 years during discussions that have nothing to do with the Celtics, Cousins, or possibly basketball at all

Good Posting Judge said:
And I'm not trying to be a ####. I like a lot of Simmons' interviews. Grantland was great. The 30 for 30's are great. But this, man...
Legitimate bad, or "either or" bad?

If I ever run into Simmons, I will punch him in the face for continually reading "Capital One, N-dot-A-dot". 

Was I the only one thinking about how much Bill would be #####ing about a full slate of NFL games going again the NBA when they went into the "why the games are Saturday segment"? 

Said very confidently today that Matt Moore could be the 8th best QB in the league and Matt Barkley could be the 9th. 

Definitely losing it. 

Said very confidently today that Matt Moore could be the 8th best QB in the league and Matt Barkley could be the 9th. 

Definitely losing it. 
That seems like a pretty big stretch although I will say that Matt Moore is probably one of the best backup QBs in the league...he doesn't suck

Good god today's podcast was nothing more than a homer shlt show, the host and the two latter guests.  Ugh. Shut it off during the House doosh cast.  Also, how tf can a man make millions as a "writer"/host and not know how to pronounce the word "good", half the names in popular sports, or that it is not an "outter body experience." Meh.

You mean you're not interested in twentysomething chick who does the Bachelor podcast breaking down NFL playoff games?

Tate is like 23 and he is the college go-to analyst.

some dude with 28 career starts over 9 years has a couple good games and Simmons loses his mind.  he has the attention span of a 5 year old.  loved Lombardi shutting him down about it.

also lol at the "home field disadvantage" angle on the Texans.  so many dumb assumptions here, but let's start with crowd noise /= 100% of HFA.

Has Simmons reached Stern level of,

I hate him but listen so I can hear what he says next

:P
I hadn't listened to the Friday show in a while.  Probably should just stay away from that one.  He's been pretty decent on the Sal podcast, level headed and entertaining for the most part (even though he misses half of Sal's jokes cause he's too focused on what he's going to say next).  But the show with House, other than the Lombardi segment, is just tuuurrrible.

Enjoyed Lombardi at two different points saying that the 11-5 Giants were 2-7 on the road (and managed the 9th road game). He stumbled over it the first time thinking it had something to do with scoring under 20 points but went right back to it later.

I don't get what's going on with the podcast.  Never any interesting guests anymore.  Been months since I've actually been interested in an ep.  Seems like it used to be at least every couple of weeks an interesting guest was on.

I don't get what's going on with the podcast.  Never any interesting guests anymore.  Been months since I've actually been interested in an ep.  Seems like it used to be at least every couple of weeks an interesting guest was on.
I have entirely too many thoughts on this, but I'd just say that Lombardi is the only real expert he seems to have on anymore.  No NBA guy, all the pop culture guys are gone, etc.  It gets very repetitive especially when others like Duncan have taken his NBA schtick to a more intelligent and numerical (in terms of content produced) extreme, etc.  

I hope at some point next year he puts Cousin Sal and Lombardi on the same Monday show.  I don't really need the same schtick twice in the week.

I like how he always uses the 'do you hit 12 against a 2' scenario as a metaphor for complex coaching decisions.  not like it's an easily solvable (or googlable) math problem or anything.  nope, it's definitely open to debate.

I like the sal podcast and then the 1600 guys and the NFL show. I usually run 3x/week and the ringer nicely provides three decent podcasts for those runs. :shrug:

I like the sal podcast and then the 1600 guys and the NFL show. I usually run 3x/week and the ringer nicely provides three decent podcasts for those runs. :shrug:
I'm talking specifically about the Bill Simmons podcast.

There are other shows that are not bad, particularly the two you mentioned.  I never got into Sal.  Simmons used to have on lots of other interesting guests and while I'm not that interested in a lot of his thoughts, I found him a pretty good conduit for getting out interesting stuff from guests that I was interested in.  Not seeing that anymore

I wonder the story behind the 1600 guys leaving the Ringer. Neither Bill nor the guys said much about it, outside of the "good luck to those guys" and "doing our own thing". 

Wait they left?
Yep. Started the "Pod Save America" podcast on their own, mentioned by @Daywalker above. Nothing was said on the last "1600" podcast, Bill gave a fleeting "good luck guys" on one of his latest podcasts, and the guys barely mention it on their first episode at their new home.

"1600" had to be sucessful for The Ringer brand. Always high on the charts, and was a podcast that non-sports fans that I knew listened too. Doesn't make a lot of sense, unless there was some kind of disagreement on the direction they wanted to go.

Yep. Started the "Pod Save America" podcast on their own, mentioned by @Daywalker above. Nothing was said on the last "1600" podcast, Bill gave a fleeting "good luck guys" on one of his latest podcasts, and the guys barely mention it on their first episode at their new home.

"1600" had to be sucessful for The Ringer brand. Always high on the charts, and was a podcast that non-sports fans that I knew listened too. Doesn't make a lot of sense, unless there was some kind of disagreement on the direction they wanted to go.
Pay musta not been right. 

They saw the deck chairs starting to slide

I actually think it was more mutual than anything (and frankly wouldn't be shocked if Simmons had a stake in the new enterprise).  They didn't think being associated with a "sports and entertainment" gave them the gravitas they needed going forward to be taken seriously as a political entity which they clearly think they need to do after the election.  Trump sort of Trumped their little 1600 lark and they think they need to do something more substantial.

So on the SalCast yesterday Simmons had an epiphany that warm weather teams don't do real well in cold weather, talking about Miami at Pitt.  He said they need to file that away for the future.  I actually don't think he was being sarcastic or ironic or whatever "ic" he could claim to be.

Bogart said:

thanks for mentioning this.  I was looking at the 1600 feed last night and wondering why there was nothing since November.

1. Sal
2. Lombardi
3. Gladwell
4. Klosterman
5. Jacko

No interest in listening to any other guests, unless he brings back some of the people from the ESPN days (Lowe, Stein, Bucher, Carolla).

Users who are viewing this thread