What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (11 Viewers)

I worked the door of a place in NYC in the early-mid 90's. Me and the 4-5 other guys working would have to stand out there for 8 hours so to pass the time we did this thing where if someone walking by looked even remotely like someone famous we'd say, "hey look, it's David Lee Roth" or "oh, there's Morgan freeman" or whoever the person kind of looked like. Funny game to get through the shift. So one day we're standing out there and one of the guys says "hey, it's Keith Jackson". We look over at the guy, he says "Hello boys" and comes walking over. It was Keith Jackson! Out for a stroll with his wife. Stands there and shoots the #### with us for 5-10 minutes. Most unassuming guy ever. We just stood there in awe listening to that voice as he asked us questions about the city. I'll never forget that. RIP Keith. The best.

I worked the door of a place in NYC in the early-mid 90's. Me and the 4-5 other guys working would have to stand out there for 8 hours so to pass the time we did this thing where if someone walking by looked even remotely like someone famous we'd say, "hey look, it's David Lee Roth" or "oh, there's Morgan freeman" or whoever the person kind of looked like. Funny game to get through the shift. So one day we're standing out there and one of the guys says "hey, it's Keith Jackson". We look over at the guy, he says "Hello boys" and comes walking over. It was Keith Jackson! Out for a stroll with his wife. Stands there and shoots the #### with us for 5-10 minutes. Most unassuming guy ever. We just stood there in awe listening to that voice as he asked us questions about the city. I'll never forget that. RIP Keith. The best.
Awesome.

Incidentally @Nipsey

I was eating at a hole in the wall Mexican place last week and they had a TV playing whatever the channel is from Mexico. All Mexico soccer highlights etc.

I look up in the middle of my meal and a soap opera had started and your avatar in that hat same, same expression was on it. No idea what he was doing but he was the big star of the episode.

For some reason I always thought it was a picture of an old John Holmes :lol:

Incidentally @Nipsey

I was eating at a hole in the wall Mexican place last week and they had a TV playing whatever the channel is from Mexico. All Mexico soccer highlights etc.

I look up in the middle of my meal and a soap opera had started and your avatar in that hat same, same expression was on it. No idea what he was doing but he was the big star of the episode.

For some reason I always thought it was a picture of an old John Holmes :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramón_Valdés

greatest football play by play voice ever - back as a kid, the regular season NCAA games were solely on Channel 7 (ABC) up this way... and you just knew it was Saturday afternoon in the fall when you heard that voice - he didn't sound like anyone from 'round here, and he just had such a smooth, yet commanding, delivery.  i'm sure some of his shtick was rehearsed, but, man, it was wrapped in such a perfectly convivial cadence. 

Saturdays belonginged to Jackson and channel 7 as much as Sundays belonged to channel 4 and Gowdy/Deragotis and channel 2 to Summeral/Brookshire.  even though college ball was never really as big to us up here as it was to the rest of the country, he was.  

greatest football play by play voice ever - back as a kid, the regular season NCAA games were solely on Channel 7 (ABC) up this way... and you just knew it was Saturday afternoon in the fall when you heard that voice - he didn't sound like anyone from 'round here, and he just had such a smooth, yet commanding, delivery.  i'm sure some of his shtick was rehearsed, but, man, it was wrapped in such a perfectly convivial cadence. 

Saturdays belonginged to Jackson and channel 7 as much as Sundays belonged to channel 4 and Gowdy/Deragotis and channel 2 to Summeral/Brookshire.  even though college ball was never really as big to us up here as it was to the rest of the country, he was.  
Different channels. but the same voices were a significant part of my youth.

TIL “The Granddaddy of them of all” (Rose Bowl) and “The Big House” (Michigan Stadium) are nicknames that originated with Keith Jackson.

RIP - by far my favorite NCAA football play by play announcer.
Sorry Mrs. Jackson...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that’s terribly sad.  :( What a great singer.  What issues did she have?  
Bi-polar. Had a meltdown on a plane a few years back. Had issues with the band. They separated but reunited once the all realized they couldn't do it without each other. The rest of the band is all the original members. Two brothers and the drummer. Kind of nuts nobody left in all that time.

Bi-polar. Had a meltdown on a plane a few years back. Had issues with the band. They separated but reunited once the all realized they couldn't do it without each other. The rest of the band is all the original members. Two brothers and the drummer. Kind of nuts nobody left in all that time.
Thanks.  Now even sadder.  :(

Nipsey said:
There was also talk of back pain/issues causing them to cancel shows in recent years, which of course leads one to fear opiates may be involved.  Pure conjecture on my part.

Loved her and the band.  Saw them twice in concert at the Warfield in San Francisco, 1999 and 2002, both great shows.  

Dr. Mathilde Krim just passed away this evening - founder of the American Foundation for AIDS Research and a tremendous advocate against homophobia and discrimination against the gay community and AIDS stigma. 

Users who are viewing this thread