What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sleeper Alert: Rob Kelley - RB - WAS (2 Viewers)

Good post crusty. I feel Kelley earned a time share going forward and sounds like Gruden feels the same way. The only problem is his remaining schedule...that alone made me drop him. All red and one yellow match up remaining as far as difficulty of schedule.
Where do you find this strength of schedule. I know used years back. Thanks 

FWIW, I he to decide between R Kelly and Prosise at the end of my bench and I went Kelly.  Both have tough run schedules, but I feel like Kelly has the quicker opportunity to ascend to the top of the depth chart and Redskins backfield is already banged up.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden considers Rob Kelley the team's early-down back coming off the team's bye week.
Gruden said Kelley will handle the "bulk" of the carries, and that Matt Jones will "have to earn his way back." Jones is returning from a knee issue, but has also been highly inconsistent while continuing to struggle with ball security. Jones probably won't be completely abandoned, but Kelley should have a clear touch advantage against the Vikings' tough run defense. He'll be on the RB2/3 borderline for Week 10.

Surprisingly (given my WW position) got him this week. Now the question is how good of a start is he this week? It's not totally clear that he has the starting job, though it does seem like he'll at least get a shot at it. Minny was considered a scary match-up until the last couple weeks. At this point we don't really know what they are; I would be no more surprised by them reasserting themselves against Washington as I would by Kelley going off.

In my case, my only alternative is Corey Coleman, so I'll probably start him. But my level of confidence in predicting what will happen is low.

Looks like plodding Kelley is now the starting tailback. 

Coach Jay Gruden called Rob Kelley the Redskins' "first-string" running back.
Gruden had suggested this earlier in the week, but now it's confirmed. Matt Jones, fresh off a knee injury, will slide in as the backup with Chris Thompson occupying his usual role on passing downs. Kelley has a tough matchup Sunday against the Vikings but should see enough carries to warrant consideration as a borderline RB2.

Looks like plodding Kelley is now the starting tailback. 

Coach Jay Gruden called Rob Kelley the Redskins' "first-string" running back.
Gruden had suggested this earlier in the week, but now it's confirmed. Matt Jones, fresh off a knee injury, will slide in as the backup with Chris Thompson occupying his usual role on passing downs. Kelley has a tough matchup Sunday against the Vikings but should see enough carries to warrant consideration as a borderline RB2.
Plodding he is but starting RB's are hard to come by this late in the year. I need him to have a good game so I can move him and Ingram for a good WR2.

I'm benching this situation until we see who gets the carries.   I hope MJ is healthy and plays so we see how the new roles break down. 

Man tempted to start him. I can see 15 carries easily. They're home and Minnesota's offense is horrible. Tempted to start him over adams at flex.

My only other option was CColeman, so I'm rolling with R. Kelley. It's the freakin' weekend baby, I'm gonna have us some fun!

Kelley's stats today:  22 carries, 97 yards, 4.4 average, 0 TD.

While he didn't get a TD today, he's clearly a threat on the goal line. If  he starts, the TDs will absolutely come.

Two games in a row that he's produced legit stats.  This guy is looking more and more like a legitimate NFL running back.

But he is a plodder. At least that's what most everybody says...
I love this description...if you can carry the ball for a 4.4 ypc avg., and not cough it up...you have enough to make it in the NFL. 

I think at one point he had 11 carries for 37 yards, but the defense got a little tired and/or Kelley got a little stronger as the game progressed and finished with another solid stat line running the ball.  I don't think he's a threat to Thompson for 3rd down duty however. :)

I love this description...if you can carry the ball for a 4.4 ypc avg., and not cough it up...you have enough to make it in the NFL. 

I think at one point he had 11 carries for 37 yards, but the defense got a little tired and/or Kelley got a little stronger as the game progressed and finished with another solid stat line running the ball.  I don't think he's a threat to Thompson for 3rd down duty however. :)
 Not yet at least...

CT is fragile...the real upside comes if he gets hurt (not while he's healthy because Gruden loves him), because Kelley can pass protect his ### off and would definitely take over that role as well.

Rob Kelley has lost yardage on just 2-of-60 carries this season.
The stat explains perfectly why Kelley has jumped Matt Jones on the depth chart. While he is not the most talented back and is not going to offer many big plays, Kelley is a dependable option for an offense which just needs a respectable running game. Considering he has also yet to fumble, it seems likely Kelley keeps the lead job for the foreseeable future. With 43 carries the last two games, Kelley will be a back-end RB2 against the Packers.
Fat or not, the guy can obviously play the position. If he gets even a bit of use in the passing game, he could get a really valuable contributor down the stretch. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting this guy over Ingram this week, sick of Payton's BS giving a guy running at 5 YPC 10 carries a week. At least it's likely Kelley will get 15-20 touches.

At this point, he's a nice-to-have insurance policy for me behind Miller and Latavius (start 2 RBs, no flex). But seeing as how both have been dinged up this year, that's no small thing. And I could even see him continuing to improve to the point where he supplants one of them.

I'm really glad I picked this guy up since I was hurting at RB. He's getting ~20 carries in a decent offense, and the WAS offensive line has a real good run blocking unit. GB does have a good defensive line this week but the GB defense seems so messed up right now, I'm not sure it matters. 

I'm really glad I picked this guy up since I was hurting at RB. He's getting ~20 carries in a decent offense, and the WAS offensive line has a real good run blocking unit. GB does have a good defensive line this week but the GB defense seems so messed up right now, I'm not sure it matters. 
He was grabbed up as the handcuff long ago in both leagues, and long before he got a chance. It's only taken 10 weeks, but dude has a job. Plodders gonna plod. 

Will be interesting to see what kind of production he has over the next few tough games. 

Guys that have been watching him, do you think he can hold onto the job into next year? What are his dynasty prospects?
Based on what transpired with Alfred Morris under the Gruden regime, I'm skeptical of him being a long term 15-20 carry RB as long as Gruden is around.  I certainly think he has cemented a place on the team in some capacity for this year and next year probably.  But you know, Morris did what Kelly is doing now...just as well and in some respects better.  But Gruden wanted that guy who could be pass catcher and break away threat as well I think and that's why he elevated Jones.  The only reason JOnes is on the outs in my opinion is the return of those fumbling problems -- not as any real change of philosophy regarding what Gruden wants in a running back.

I therefore would proceed with caution from a dynasty perspective.  I could see them drafting another RB next year and using several in the coming years.  

I have nothing to base this on other than my insticts from watching how Gruden has built this offense... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys that have been watching him, do you think he can hold onto the job into next year? What are his dynasty prospects?
It's surely not impossible, but likely improbable (but then again it's improbable that he's even a starting RB for an NFL team).

Given his athletic profile, college background, and ability it's hard to imagine that Washington couldn't draft or sign a better option - but if he does well and establishes Gruden's trust who knows? I certainly wouldn't pay much to acquire him, but he's worth a "hold" if you have him, unless some one offers a nice deal.

It's surely not impossible, but likely improbable (but then again it's improbable that he's even a starting RB for an NFL team).

Given his athletic profile, college background, and ability it's hard to imagine that Washington couldn't draft or sign a better option - but if he does well and establishes Gruden's trust who knows? I certainly wouldn't pay much to acquire him, but he's worth a "hold" if you have him, unless some one offers a nice deal.
What do people feel his trade value is in dynasty?  I put him on the block and the best offer I got so far was a 2017 mid 3rd round rookie pick. To me, if you are picking in the 3rd round, you are hoping it turns into someone like Kelley... a young average talent starting RB. Why trade him for a 3rd just to hope you end up with someone like him next year?  Am I off base on this?

What do people feel his trade value is in dynasty?  I put him on the block and the best offer I got so far was a 2017 mid 3rd round rookie pick. To me, if you are picking in the 3rd round, you are hoping it turns into someone like Kelley... a young average talent starting RB. Why trade him for a 3rd just to hope you end up with someone like him next year?  Am I off base on this?
Well that's assuming that Kelley has any kind of role next year which is far from a given. I'm not saying that taking a third is a "no brainer", because there is some chance Kelley earns the job heading into next season, but I honestly wouldn't expect to see better offers than that (so if you are a believer you are better off holding). I think most owners see him as a stop gap type for this season who isn't really going to make that much of a difference on winning your league this year. A desperate owner may pony up a second.

Well that's assuming that Kelley has any kind of role next year which is far from a given. I'm not saying that taking a third is a "no brainer", because there is some chance Kelley earns the job heading into next season, but I honestly wouldn't expect to see better offers than that (so if you are a believer you are better off holding). I think most owners see him as a stop gap type for this season who isn't really going to make that much of a difference on winning your league this year. A desperate owner may pony up a second.
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But guys like Rawls started the same way... Ware too. I just can't see taking a 3rd when a pick in that range is just as much, if not more, of a crap shoot than Kelley is now. 

I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But guys like Rawls started the same way... Ware too. I just can't see taking a 3rd when a pick in that range is just as much, if not more, of a crap shoot than Kelley is now. 
I think one bit of difference is that Ware and Rawls had strong metrics backgrounds (and had plenty of scouting buzz) while Kelley has the athleticism of a refrigerator and was literally unheard of by most pundits. 

Don't overlook the fact that Gruden - or any coach for that matter - probably loves that Kelley almost always generates positive yardage. Not sure that will carry for future years, but just because he's not explosive or the most athletic, doesn't mean he's going to be summarily pushed aside.

Don't overlook the fact that Gruden - or any coach for that matter - probably loves that Kelley almost always generates positive yardage. Not sure that will carry for future years, but just because he's not explosive or the most athletic, doesn't mean he's going to be summarily pushed aside.
I don't think he'll be pushed aside altogether.  But, I do think he's likely to yield *some* carries to another RB they pick up in the future.  Part of the problem is that we are asking if Kelley will have "the job" next year.  But Gruden is not obligated to give exactly one RB "the job", nor should he.  Before Jones' fumbling woes, he was very comfortable having a stable of 3 different RBs and alternating them as he saw fit.  Last year, he was comfortable doing that with Morris and Jones.  Before that, he was comfortable doing that in Cincinnati.  It's this track record we have to be aware of, IMO.  And Gruden is not wrong either.  Why eschew any other kind of RB style you could mix in there just to have a back that gets 90% of the carries?  He's playing actual football, not FFL...

I think one bit of difference is that Ware and Rawls had strong metrics backgrounds (and had plenty of scouting buzz) while Kelley has the athleticism of a refrigerator and was literally unheard of by most pundits. 
Honest question... do they have better metrics?  Ware maybe but is Rawls really that much more "athletic"?

Users who are viewing this thread