What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I have been vegetarian for the last third of my life - thinking about giving it up for Lent (1 Viewer)

Jaysus

Good times!
That's how Lent works, right?  I spent the entire decade of my 30s (and then some) without eating meat and I am thinking about, you know, not doing that anymore.  I figure this lent thing sounds like it may be a nice way to ease myself into it.

I am not sure where to start though... what should my first meal be?  I have always thought that I would one day eat a chicken cheesesteak again, but the cheesesteaks in the area I live all look awful, so I may need to plan a road trip for one of them.  

I am fairly certain that I am going to try o be healthy about it: I have never eaten a McDonalds hamburger, I see no reason to start now. I do not even know what healthy meat is at this point.  

Anyway, that is why I am posting this  I need some help.  I am curious about a healthy, varied diet, but I am mostly curious about what my first meal should be so I get back on the bus in style. Thoughts. comments, suggestions?

I gave up drinking the last year but think I will give that up for Lent. Will probably ease into it with a 3.2 beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaysus said:
That's how Lent works, right?  I spent the entire decade of my 30s (and then some) without eating meat and I am thinking about, you know, not doing that anymore.  I figure this lent thing sounds like it may be a nice way to ease myself into it.

I am not sure where to start though... what should my first meal be?  I have always thought that I would one day eat a chicken cheesesteak again, but the cheesesteaks in the area I live all look awful, so I may need to plan a road trip for one of them.  

I am fairly certain that I am going to try o be healthy about it: I have never eaten a McDonalds hamburger, I see no reason to start now. I do not even know what healthy meat is at this point.  

Anyway, that is why I am posting this  I need some help.  I am curious about a healthy, varied diet, but I am mostly curious about what my first meal should be so I get back on the bus in style. Thoughts. comments, suggestions?
Why are you giving up being a vegetarian?  Just curious, as I am a vegetarian too and can't imagine I'd ever go back to eating meat.  

It can't be much worse then the way all beans have been treating me at times lately :oldunsure:  
Good point.  I went 10 years after food poisoning from a chicken sandwich at Wendy's in bfe Nebraska while driving from WI to WY.  Good times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't make any red meat your first meal back.  I don't feel great after eating it myself.  I would guess it would cause more issues for you than for me.  Maybe chicken or fish and see what your body does.

I think you have to go with a high quality burger to start, right?  That or a nice medium rare steak.  Or...maybe some grilled brats.

Jeez, it's still an hour until lunchtime and I'm starving now.  Thanks, jerks.

I've been vegetarian for about 3 years now.  I think my first meal would be Popeyes fried chicken.

Damn, I knew soom would consider this blasphemous, but I didn't think the whole site would shut down over it. 

Why did you become vegetarian to begin with?  Health? Moral? Religious?

I think the science is mostly agreed to that lean meats are a fine source of protein.

This. 

I did the whole vegetarian thing for a few years at some point in my 30s. At some point, I started convincing myself that the various bacon substitutes were pretty good and there wasn't that big a difference from the real thing.  But when I started eating meat again, I realized just how wrong I was. 

So if you think you might want to go back to being vegetarian, don't eat bacon because it will take a few more years to get over it again.   If you think you're really done, bacon is the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread