What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

T&P Please (2 Viewers)

2nd opinion at Dana Farber pretty much validated everything we've done/heard so far.  Good because we feel we've done everything we can... bad because there's nothing "better" to try.  Unfortunately sobering to again hear that there is "no cure"... just a constant effort to keep it at bay.  Hopefully something will come along soon.
Think there is/was a doctor at MSU you might not want to see...............

Seriously, holding things at bay is great news and college is awesome news.  This is the kind of story you see when someone wins the lottery.  So, chat with the big man upstairs if you haven't already.  Lord knows, I have hit enough churches in Italy for get wells and $$$$. 

Jack was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks with a lung infection/pneumonitis (similar to pneumonia... a side effect of radiation).  Got home last weekend and is recovering/regaining his strength.  Wife and I are still giving him IV antibiotics/steroids 3 times a day.

Was a very scary thing... he couldn't breath - taking very short/shallow breaths (45/min... normal is <20).  Oxygen saturation was in the 70s (normal is 95+).  Doctors in ICU were not optimistic about his survival.  They were absolutely amazed that his recovery was so fast.  Jack gave them all the finger on the way out.  

We'll find out Monday if he's cleared for our Italy trip :fingerscrossed: in two weeks.

Jack was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks with a lung infection/pneumonitis (similar to pneumonia... a side effect of radiation).  Got home last weekend and is recovering/regaining his strength.  Wife and I are still giving him IV antibiotics/steroids 3 times a day.

Was a very scary thing... he couldn't breath - taking very short/shallow breaths (45/min... normal is <20).  Oxygen saturation was in the 70s (normal is 95+).  Doctors in ICU were not optimistic about his survival.  They were absolutely amazed that his recovery was so fast.  Jack gave them all the finger on the way out.  

We'll find out Monday if he's cleared for our Italy trip :fingerscrossed: in two weeks.
Ugh been their buddy. Your heart jumps every time they desat. I am so glad to hear he is a fighter! Have fun in Italy. Crossing my fingers too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing on the internet gets me as emotional as this thread, kid is a fighter!! 

I rarely say a prayer, but I've said a few for your boy. So sorry your family is going through this, hope you all get to enjoy a great trip to Italy!!

The finger deal is like in a movie ...awesome. 

If anyone can beat this thing, it's your kid, Jack.  Praying for Jack and you guys.  
It was.  They were basically telling us (including Jack) to make decisions on whether or not he wanted to be intubated, receive CPR, etc if necessary... how painful it would be, etc.  I know it scared the crap out of me... had to do the same to him.  But he was walking the halls of the hospital 2 days later giving the doom and gloomers the evil eye.

She’s a friggin’ saint.  Absolute best patient advocate Jack could have.  Selfless, organized, and continually questions how, why and when anything is recommended or prescribed.  Did I mention how awesome she is?
 It's unfortunate how important this is, but my goodness, having almost died a few years back myself, only to have a series of hospitalizations and major surgeries (including one that barely saved my life), the work my mother and (no ex) wife did was tremendous.  In fact, there were a lot of times where my ex was not there for me as she should have been, but thankfully, when it came to keeping the medical system, docs and nurses focused, looking out for MY well being and ensuring I got the best care, I have to give it to her, she was great.

Because without someone paying constant attention and fighting like hell, mistakes will happen - and go unnoticed. You will be at times forgotten, or pushed down the priority list. And you won't know your true options, nor which may or may not be best. 

Kudos to your wife, and I'm sure, you, for being such a great team.

Koya said:
She’s a friggin’ saint.  Absolute best patient advocate Jack could have.  Selfless, organized, and continually questions how, why and when anything is recommended or prescribed.  Did I mention how awesome she is?
 It's unfortunate how important this is, but my goodness, having almost died a few years back myself, only to have a series of hospitalizations and major surgeries (including one that barely saved my life), the work my mother and (no ex) wife did was tremendous.  In fact, there were a lot of times where my ex was not there for me as she should have been, but thankfully, when it came to keeping the medical system, docs and nurses focused, looking out for MY well being and ensuring I got the best care, I have to give it to her, she was great.

Because without someone paying constant attention and fighting like hell, mistakes will happen - and go unnoticed. You will be at times forgotten, or pushed down the priority list. And you won't know your true options, nor which may or may not be best. 

Kudos to your wife, and I'm sure, you, for being such a great team.
Sad but true, GB.  She catches mistakes on the part of the team supporting him constantly.  Really a shame that it's so common. She is constantly asked if she's in the medical profession (which she's not) because she keeps copious notes, does her research and isn't afraid to challenge the Drs/Nurses.  Some of them are really good, but others are painfully inept.

Sad but true, GB.  She catches mistakes on the part of the team supporting him constantly.  Really a shame that it's so common. She is constantly asked if she's in the medical profession (which she's not) because she keeps copious notes, does her research and isn't afraid to challenge the Drs/Nurses.  Some of them are really good, but others are painfully inept.
and sometimes people are just human and overlook, forget, make a mistake - except that can result in tremendous pain (or worse) in some situations.  2-3 days after I came back to consciousness after my first and most significant surgery, we had very clear instructions from the Surgeon about my pain meds.  I was to stay on the drip as opposed to go to oral meds, because I hadn't eaten, it would likely make me nauseaus and other reasons.

Well, the nurse came in to disconnect my drip and give me the oral meds... my team (mom and wife) pleaded with them to not do it... they did it anyway, and somehow screwed up more because while they stopped the drip, did NOT give me the pills.  90 minutes later and im in excruciating pain, only to finally have them give me the pills, only to have me throw them up, which is exactly what the Surgical team wanted to prevent (mind you, I hadn't eating in probably 4-5 days at this point).  It literally sent me backwards in an already delicate recovering, only days removed from going sepsis from divirticulitis and then c-diff, the combo almost killing me.

There was one point where my wife was pushing for something, and she could be pushy, but you have to be. The surgeon who was standing in for mine (she was on vacation) had the gaul to ####### yell at ME, while I was in recovery (this was after the second major surgery) and call me and my wife out.  I was in so much pain, had been dealing with hospitalizations for 18 months, was confused, depressed... just all over the place mentally, and a ####### doctor had the nerve to make me feel even worse, to the point I just started to cry.  Needless to say, when my family found out about that, a deserved new round of hell was raised, and I swore to never again to to that hospital - which is a shame, because it's nationally ranked, and the nursing staff was generally great compared to others.

I have found that the level of attention and care is MUCH better here in Texas than back on Long Island, fwiw (had my third surgery here, though it was nothing compared to the others, and was only in the hospital for about 5 days to a week for that one).

Keerock said:
Italy trip **APPROVED** 
❣❣❣❣❣❣❣

So happy for you all!

And yes, you have to do your research. Docs don't always have the time or necessarily remember things. I've taught mine a thing or three.

Have fun, and post pics! ✈?

and sometimes people are just human and overlook, forget, make a mistake - except that can result in tremendous pain (or worse) in some situations.  2-3 days after I came back to consciousness after my first and most significant surgery, we had very clear instructions from the Surgeon about my pain meds.  I was to stay on the drip as opposed to go to oral meds, because I hadn't eaten, it would likely make me nauseaus and other reasons.

Well, the nurse came in to disconnect my drip and give me the oral meds... my team (mom and wife) pleaded with them to not do it... they did it anyway, and somehow screwed up more because while they stopped the drip, did NOT give me the pills.  90 minutes later and im in excruciating pain, only to finally have them give me the pills, only to have me throw them up, which is exactly what the Surgical team wanted to prevent (mind you, I hadn't eating in probably 4-5 days at this point).  It literally sent me backwards in an already delicate recovering, only days removed from going sepsis from divirticulitis and then c-diff, the combo almost killing me.

There was one point where my wife was pushing for something, and she could be pushy, but you have to be. The surgeon who was standing in for mine (she was on vacation) had the gaul to ####### yell at ME, while I was in recovery (this was after the second major surgery) and call me and my wife out.  I was in so much pain, had been dealing with hospitalizations for 18 months, was confused, depressed... just all over the place mentally, and a ####### doctor had the nerve to make me feel even worse, to the point I just started to cry.  Needless to say, when my family found out about that, a deserved new round of hell was raised, and I swore to never again to to that hospital - which is a shame, because it's nationally ranked, and the nursing staff was generally great compared to others.

I have found that the level of attention and care is MUCH better here in Texas than back on Long Island, fwiw (had my third surgery here, though it was nothing compared to the others, and was only in the hospital for about 5 days to a week for that one).
Jeebus. Did you file a complaint? The hospital I use and their docs offices always mail a survey asking us to rate everything-  the docs, staff, cleanliness, wait times, etc. It's very thorough and detailed. That's the only way the board of directors at the hospital know how they are doing. I get the survey even for just getting my port flushed or labs. Because of this it's a really good hospital with a great staff. Shows they care.

Jeebus. Did you file a complaint? The hospital I use and their docs offices always mail a survey asking us to rate everything-  the docs, staff, cleanliness, wait times, etc. It's very thorough and detailed. That's the only way the board of directors at the hospital know how they are doing. I get the survey even for just getting my port flushed or labs. Because of this it's a really good hospital with a great staff. Shows they care.
Yes, we did. A pointed one. This is the complete arrogant ####### surgeon stereotype that feeds into that stereotype - was probably the most seasoned / experienced of my surgical group, thinks his #### don't stink, and he isn't going to "take gruff from a stupid patient"

Which, especially on Long Island (um, a lotta attitude up there) ain't gonna fly, not that it should, anywhere.  It's a shame, because I'd only go back to my surgeon (who was awesome on all fronts) if I knew he would have NO part in my care.  Let's hope for all the reasons that I don't need to, because that wouldn't be a good sign and thankfully I've fully recovered from the mess.

Update on Jack.  He's home from school after a 4.0 first semester  :grad:  - brainiack.

He's currently feeling really good.  Has put on weight and has no restrictions on his activity.  Unfortunately, his last scans showed some progression of the disease... mostly in his lung.  This indicates that his current chemo treatments are not effective (enough) so we are researching alternative treatments.  His primary oncologist has a couple options and we have reached out to Dana Farber, Sloan Kettering, and (thanks to @bigbottom) Texas Children's/MDAnderson for their recommendations.  There are no standard treatments beyond what he has already had so we are looking at what other options are there, including clinical trials.

I appreciate all of you keeping Jack in your thoughts and prayers... he deserves to be done with this.

Update on Jack.  He's home from school after a 4.0 first semester  :grad:  - brainiack.

He's currently feeling really good.  Has put on weight and has no restrictions on his activity.  Unfortunately, his last scans showed some progression of the disease... mostly in his lung.  This indicates that his current chemo treatments are not effective (enough) so we are researching alternative treatments.  His primary oncologist has a couple options and we have reached out to Dana Farber, Sloan Kettering, and (thanks to @bigbottom) Texas Children's/MDAnderson for their recommendations.  There are no standard treatments beyond what he has already had so we are looking at what other options are there, including clinical trials.

I appreciate all of you keeping Jack in your thoughts and prayers... he deserves to be done with this.
Sending prayers and good thoughts to dear Jack, and to all of you. Glad he is feeling good for the holiday season. And wtg with the 4.0! God bless you all. Xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't said anything because I feel uncomfortable, but please know my best wishes, prayers, thoughts, are with you and your family. Let's get Jack well somehow.  

Thanks for the update, Kee. I have been thinking about you guys, hoping everything was good. Continued prayers for Jack and the whole family, and for good news on a clinical trial. 

Thanks for the update, Kee. I have been thinking about you guys, hoping everything was good. Continued prayers for Jack and the whole family, and for good news on a clinical trial. 
same. 

wishing all of you the best.

hoping he's comfortable with the treatments as he heads into second semester. and kicks it's ###.

Users who are viewing this thread