What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Media Criticism (2 Viewers)

Huh? Did we read the same article? 

Stacey Abrams is being lauded as some kind of hero in this election and the % of black votes actually went down. In fact in communities where the population is over 80% black they actually moved toward trump compared to 2016. 

To criticize her for not conceding and to criticize the press for lauding her is fair. 

How are any comments in there horrific? 

I think it would be nice if the media stopped advertising "facts" as their catch-all. CNN and New York Times have begun to do this. "Facts" front and center. But we know to hell they're inherently biased. They're just making those of us that can recognize their bias but separate if from their fact section beholden to idiots who can no longer do the same.

The media played so hard and so loose with the "facts" since Walter Cronkite that the right doesn't trust it anymore and has sought out its own set of "facts." As the pandemic has shown us, this kind of media choosing can be disastrous. When the old institutions are crumbled with rot, it's no surprise people switch to alternatives. It helps nobody that our current President never met a lie he didn't like and that his constituency hates the media; that way the media, which should be performing its usual gatekeeper role, is left in the dust by a complete and utter lack of demand because of its previous bias.

That they can't see this and aren't issuing mea culpas everywhere for sixty ####### years of bias is annoying and galling.

I think it would be nice if the media stopped advertising "facts" as their catch-all. CNN and New York Times have begun to do this. "Facts" front and center. But we know to hell they're inherently biased. They're just making those of us that can recognize their bias but separate if from their fact section beholden to idiots who can no longer do the same.

The media played so hard and so loose with the "facts" since Walter Cronkite that the right doesn't trust it anymore and has sought out its own set of "facts." As the pandemic has shown us, this kind of media choosing can be disastrous. When the old institutions are crumbled with rot, it's no surprise people switch to alternatives. It helps nobody that our current President never met a lie he didn't like and that his constituency hates the media; that way the media, which should be performing its usual gatekeeper role, is left in the dust by a complete and utter lack of demand because of its previous bias.

That they can't see this and aren't issuing mea culpas everywhere for sixty ####### years of bias is annoying and galling.
Can I ask you what news program you think is more factual between Fox News and CNN?

As our President goes into yet another full-blown psychotic meltdown on Twitter, our media's complete failure and abdication of its duty to us continues to dumbfound me.  From the left to the right, including NPR and other public media sources, the treatment of this psycho with kid gloves, the normalization of his insane, child-like and ultimately dangerous daily behavior is absolutely unforgiveable.  When will the media do its job and actually report what we all see every day and know to be true? 

As our President goes into yet another full-blown psychotic meltdown on Twitter, our media's complete failure and abdication of its duty to us continues to dumbfound me.  From the left to the right, including NPR and other public media sources, the treatment of this psycho with kid gloves, the normalization of his insane, child-like and ultimately dangerous daily behavior is absolutely unforgiveable.  When will the media do its job and actually report what we all see every day and know to be true? 
Huh? What would you have them say differently? 

Literally the top story on cnn site starts with...

As the first doses of a coronavirus vaccine are prepared for shipment to communities across the United States, President Donald Trump has an opportunity to mark a historic milestone for science -- and show some semblance of leadership in curbing the spread of Covid-19 as the number of US cases crosses 16 million. Instead, he is engaged in self-sabotage, distracting Americans from that great accomplishment for his administration by spreading more election disinformation

parasaurolophus said:
Literally the top story on cnn site starts with...

As the first doses of a coronavirus vaccine are prepared for shipment to communities across the United States, President Donald Trump has an opportunity to mark a historic milestone for science -- and show some semblance of leadership in curbing the spread of Covid-19 as the number of US cases crosses 16 million. Instead, he is engaged in self-sabotage, distracting Americans from that great accomplishment for his administration by spreading more election disinformation
Cowards. 

:confused:

The reporter is quoting Dr. Fauci from a recent interview in which he revealed that the brother of his daughter's boyfriend had died of COVID.
It was already previously reported. 
By Fauci? When she wrote "NEW" it was pretty clear that she was referring to a new announcement from Fauci ("...he just told me...").

I mean, I guess I'll take your word for it that the brother died in July, but the NY Times is not the only source treating Fauci's announcement as new (see: People. The Independent, Business Insider, Newsmax, FoxNews). It seems strange to single out the NY Times here (and even stranger to describe a tragic death as "an event", imo).

Are you sure you've got your facts straight here?

By Fauci? When she wrote "NEW" it was pretty clear that she was referring to a new announcement from Fauci ("...he just told me...").

I mean, I guess I'll take your word for it that the brother died in July, but the NY Times is not the only source treating Fauci's announcement as new (see: People. The Independent, Business Insider, Newsmax, FoxNews). It seems strange to single out the NY Times here (and even stranger to describe a tragic death as "an event", imo).

August 5th fauci first spoke about it. 

New: Following a state task force investigation into a number of Wisconsin counties, 20 Wisconsinites have been charged with committing election fraud.

Can you help me out with a link here? I've done Google and Twitter searches for a 7 day window around August 5th and can't find anything.

Wow, pretty awful right there. You're so mad for getting called out that you post fake news to troll people.
lol. I am not mad. I am proving the point that what the NYT reporter did was poor journalism. You dont recycle old stories.

Also it is bad form to ask for links when you have an internet connection and can google when it suits you.

Oh and also how weird would it be if Fauci was kind of lying? Shouldn't that be something the NYT would catch?

Wow, pretty awful right there. You're so mad for getting called out that you post fake news to troll people.
lol. I am not mad. I am proving the point that what the NYT reporter did was poor journalism. You dont recycle old stories.
She's not recycling an old story. She was reporting a new announcement from Fauci. She was very clear on that.

Also it is bad form to ask for links when you have an internet connection and can google when it suits you.
I did try to Google it; I even told you I did. I wouldn't have asked if the story popped up on a Google search, which it didn't.

I'm not saying that the brother didn't die in July; I'm just questioning whether it had been reported -- as you seem to be claiming -- before Fauci announced it last week. (And even if Fauci had announced the death on August 5th, why are you calling out the NY Times for doing exactly what Fox and Breitbart and dozens of other news outlets did?)

You are way out of line here. You're posting misleading links and outdated stories and then trying to brush it off by blaming those who simply ask you to provide a link to back up the things that you claim.

Oh and also how weird would it be if Fauci was kind of lying? Shouldn't that be something the NYT would catch?
It doesn't look like Fauci was lying. Fauci didn't say when the brother died; he used the present tense to describe the guy ("...is a 32-year-old man...") which has a tendency to make people think that the death is recent.

Again, virtually every news outlet interpreted Fauci's interview like that.

My hunch is that the brother's death was not widely reported back in August (if at all), which would make it perfectly reasonable for all those news outlets to treat it like recent news.

It doesn't look like Fauci was lying. Fauci didn't say when the brother died; he used the present tense to describe the guy ("...is a 32-year-old man...") which has a tendency to make people think that the death is recent.

My hunch is that the brother's death was not widely reported back in August (if at all), which would make it perfectly reasonable for all those news outlets to treat it like recent news.
Ali Gorman with the inside scoop here!!! Can you believe she dug this hard to get a copy of Fauci speaking on super secret youtube? 

And how weird would it be if the 32 year old actually tested negative for covid???

She's not recycling an old story. She was reporting a new announcement from Fauci. She was very clear on that.
She literally started the tweet with "NEW". 

Its hilarious even if it wasnt a retread story from months earlier. You dont tweet on December 11th(emphasis added)

NEW: A 32-year-old close to Dr. Fauci -- the brother of his daughter's boyfriend -- has died of Covid-19, he just told me: "He's a perfectly healthy 32-year old guy who got COVID, got the cardiac complications and died within like a week." Many condolences to the family.
When The Hill has already reported it December 9th

And those wacky youtubers had the most recent comments December 9th also

Ali Gorman with the inside scoop here!!! Can you believe she dug this hard to get a copy of Fauci speaking on super secret youtube? 
OK. So you're singling out a NY Times reporter for not being aware of this article and a video interview -- neither of which were picked up by any other national news outlets -- when virtually every other media outlet did the exact same thing? That doesn't seem like very honest criticism.

Last edited by a moderator:

The news is not the death itself (which I'm comfortable assuming that the NYT reporter was not aware of), but Fauci bringing the death up at a public forum (Link) - even if he spoke of it previously. The death was very far from common knowledge that got a lot of run in the media.

The "NEW" tag in the reporter's tweet was perhaps clumsy in retrospect, but I don't think it was meant to be misleading. Fauci talking about it at length was the NEW news. The Ali Gorman piece from 8/5 does not pinpoint the person who died -- it's given only as "a relative's brother" (which doesn't seem quite true in hindsight).

Disagree strongly. The one who establishes claim X must be willing to provide links to support claim X provided X is not common knowledge.
Only if the request is legit.

Bad faith posters ask for links and then say dumb things like nut uh, you said they announced the counting would stop, that link announced they sent all the counters home. 

I dont do bs legwork for people that are predestined to just nitpick

The news is not the death itself (which I'm comfortable assuming that the NYT reporter was not aware of), but Fauci bringing the death up at a public forum (Link) - even if he spoke of it previously. The death was very far from common knowledge that got a lot of run in the media.

The "NEW" tag in the reporter's tweet was perhaps clumsy in retrospect, but I don't think it was meant to be misleading. Fauci talking about it at length was the NEW news. The Ali Gorman piece from 8/5 does not pinpoint the person who died -- it's given only as "a relative's brother" (which doesn't seem quite true in hindsight).
 You at least acknowledged that "new" was clumsy. It doesnt have to be deliberate misinformation to be bad reporting. 

And Fauci brought up the example the last time he spoke for the same public forum. He told the same story August 5th when he spoke. So no, it wasnt news that he spoke about it at a public forum again. 

You at least acknowledged that "new" was clumsy. It doesnt have to be deliberate misinformation to be bad reporting. 

And Fauci brought up the example the last time he spoke for the same public forum. He told the same story August 5th when he spoke. So no, it wasnt news that he spoke about it at a public forum again. 
Why rush to single out one solitary NY Times reporter when multiple conservative sites also treated Fauci's announcement as new? Did it not even occur to you that conservative outlets could make a similar assumption? Or were you deliberately trying to spread misleading news?

Also, Fauci stated in August that it was a relative's brother who died. That's not the same thing as daughter's boyfriend's brother. So, not only are you calling out a reporter for not being familiar with every single interview that Fauci's ever done, but you're calling out the reporter for not making an assumption and jumping to conclusions.

Transcript of Fauci’s Aug 5 talk at Harvard. Think it was via Zoom, actually.

https://theforum.sph.harvard.edu/events/when-public-health-means-business-4/
SeaDuck picked up what I was putting down -- Fauci did not specify who it was that died close to him except to give the deceased's age. Starting at about 36:30 in the linked video.

Therefore -- the NYT reporter did tweet new news, after all. IMHO, the Dec 9th date vs the tweet date of Dec 11 is immaterial -- within 48 hours is close enough.

Smartmatic is going after going after Fox News, OANN, and Newsmax for defamation. Apparently blaming voting machines for voter fraud is bad for business.

This will be worth watching imo.

SeaDuck picked up what I was putting down -- Fauci did not specify who it was that died close to him except to give the deceased's age. Starting at about 36:30 in the linked video.

Therefore -- the NYT reporter did tweet new news, after all. IMHO, the Dec 9th date vs the tweet date of Dec 11 is immaterial -- within 48 hours is close enough.
So wait... It isnt news that he said it at a public forum, now it is the detail of it being the boyfriend of one of his daughters? That makes it Capital NEW!!!!

Comments before...

I have to tell you without any name, I have, even close to me, in the brother of a very close relative of mine, it was a 32-year-old young man, vibrant man, otherwise healthy, got a typical coronavirus infection, got symptoms, developed the cardiomyopathy and died. That happens. That just happens.
BS Tweet:

NEW: A 32-year-old close to Dr. Fauci -- the brother of his daughter's boyfriend -- has died of Covid-19, he just told me: "He's a perfectly healthy 32-year old guy who got COVID, got the cardiac complications and died within like a week."
Its kind of funny because now if I look up the quote...She even touched it up just a bit more in the tweet. You know what will make this sound even better!!! If we shorten the time frame!

He’s a perfectly healthy 32-year-old guy who got Covid, got the cardiac complications and died within like a week and a half of getting infected
At no point did she think, hmmmm.....should I maybe look into this story a bit? Heck no!!! Why would I verify this? 

Or perhaps she did look into it and thought Wait? What???? There is an article from August 1st that says he didn't even test positive??? And he actually died several weeks after the first time he was in the hospital? And there are already stories printed about this from even a couple days ago too? Pfffftttt!

Well that's not much of a story. Lets just run with what we got and make it seem like a better scoop!

To recap:

Story wasn't new.

Quote is embellished.

The story itself may not even be true.

Somehow you are still carrying water for the NYT?

DOD Chief of Staff going after CNN for defamation. Lotta defamation going around lately. I wonder if the Convington kid victories helped.

I am sure this will get defended by the NYT fan club, but them sending out a push notification for one allergic reaction to the vaccine is pretty silly. 

At no point did she think, hmmmm.....should I maybe look into this story a bit? Heck no!!! Why would I verify this?
No. We're not going to invent a false standard for journalistic practices. Journalists, even the best ones, are not obligated to track down, verify, follow-up, and correct every single word of every single quote uttered by a subject. For example: If a subject were to say, "My dog died when I was 9", society does not expect the journalist to investigate to see if the dog actually died when the subject was eight. :lol:

This is exactly why I asked for a link in previous posts. If a claim cannot be supported by a Google search, then it's a pretty good sign that a reporter would not have been able to easily verify Fauci's quote to begin with. We should not assume that OUR knowledge of a subject is equally and retroactively accessible to everyone else. That's a logical fallacy.

One of the basic tenets of journalism is that reporters should let quotes stand on their own, and that's basically what the NYT reporter did here. (Nitpicking about clipping "week and a half" in a tweet? Come on, that's petty.)

Or perhaps she did look into it and thought Wait? What???? There is an article from August 1st that says he didn't even test positive??? And he actually died several weeks after the first time he was in the hospital? And there are already stories printed about this from even a couple days ago too? Pfffftttt!

Well that's not much of a story. Lets just run with what we got and make it seem like a better scoop!

To recap:

Story wasn't new.

Quote is embellished.

The story itself may not even be true.

Somehow you are still carrying water for the NYT?
It's not that people are carrying water for the NYT; we're carrying water for Newsmax and Fox and other conservative outlets, too. Every outlet, as far as I can tell, treated Fauci's quote as new info.

I can understand how someone might initially assume that the NYT was the only outlet to treat the story as new, especially if that someone is pre-biased against the NYT. But when that person continues to push a false narrative even after their error has been exposed? That's beyond partisan blinders. It's hackery.

The best evidence that this whole exercise is a nothingburger is the fact that all of the published articles -- on People, Newsmax, Fox, and even the New York Times, still treat Fauci's quote as a new revelation, even after having ample time to correct the record. As far as I can tell, no one in the world has bothered to clarify the issue outside of one solitary thread on a fantasy football message board.

No. We're not going to invent a false standard for journalistic practices. Journalists, even the best ones, are not obligated to track down, verify, follow-up, and correct every single word of every single quote uttered by a subject.
Lol.

Remember in elementary school when they taught us who, what, when, where, why?

Yeah, that is an OK expectation here. You have to ask yourself why you have dug in so hard defending such an obvious gaffe. 

Lol.

Remember in elementary school when they taught us who, what, when, where, why?
Uh, no. Journalists are taught to not judge the "when" and "why" of a person's quote. It's their story to tell, not the journalist's.

There's nothing wrong with admitting to wearing partisan blinders so bright that they block the view of the rest of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread