What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Peaceful USA Realignment (1 Viewer)

LawFitz

Footballguy
I don't want to see a World War. I don't want to see a Civil War. None of us do, and that is one of the few things I am certain of when it comes to this forum. But frequenting these boards over the last year, I've come now to realize we've become just too far apart. You and I, we won't ever see things in a reasonably joint manner. You do you, and sadly, I must do me. Best separate and respectful than intermingled and hateful, I now must conclude.

So how do we do this? How do we divide our country along political and geographic lines in a fashion that won't lead to kinetic conflict between us? I'm on the west coast and somehow now a hardcore conservative, despite growing up a progressive liberal. I want California, but I know I can't have it. But if I'm to give up this wonderous state, I want (somewhat) even return in the newly-constructed Conservative States of America.

How does that work? Be reasonable. I am giving you Cali-#######-fornia as an opening olive branch, for crying out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I have thought about it because of posts like your's and ek's about just how irreconcilable our differences just might be.   Problem is all the libs are on the coasts, so how do you divide all that up, and what comes of the very heavy R states in the middle?  

My first impulse is starting with the Mississippi and going from there, but it can't be just that as it would then become a fight about square miles of land.   IMO one of the bigger questions is - who gets the border?   Splitting that up, or one gets control?  If it's one gets it and you already gave up Cali, then in my scenario Texas would go D, and right there is trouble, so all to one is probably not happening.  

No real answers, mostly just early morning ramblings.  First thought is there is already slight natural dividing in the west with the super liberal states like OR, Wash, Color, etc there.  I think giving the red team Chicago and NY is fair for coughing up Cali, and I want them to have Chicago so they can show us how they would fix that gun violence.  Anyway, what would a starting point of something like: Rocky Mts and west = Blue.   Mississippi River and east = red.   Then we have to divide up the middle of the country somehow.  

If we did this I know some of you would be trying to cross the border for our jobs and health insurance.  We'll need a wall. A big, beautiful wall. And you're gonna pay for it. 
I think getting the Ds to pay for the wall will work about as well as getting Mexico to pay for it did.  ;)  

Honestly I have thought about it because of posts like your's and ek's about just how irreconcilable our differences just might be.   Problem is all the libs are on the coasts, so how do you divide all that up, and what comes of the very heavy R states in the middle?  

My first impulse is starting with the Mississippi and going from there, but it can't be just that as it would then become a fight about square miles of land.   IMO one of the bigger questions is - who gets the border?   Splitting that up, or one gets control?  If it's one gets it and you already gave up Cali, then in my scenario Texas would go D, and right there is trouble, so all to one is probably not happening.  

No real answers, mostly just early morning ramblings.  First thought is there is already slight natural dividing in the west with the super liberal states like OR, Wash, Color, etc there.  I think giving the red team Chicago and NY is fair for coughing up Cali, and I want them to have Chicago so they can show us how they would fix that gun violence.  Anyway, what would a starting point of something like: Rocky Mts and west = Blue.   Mississippi River and east = red.   Then we have to divide up the middle of the country somehow.  
I don’t see a problem with the libs on the costs. ;)

Beyond just borders, issues such as the national debt, federal land, federal property such as military equipment, etc. would need to be handled.  Currency will be a huge question, as "the dollar" would no longer be what it is.

We have to identify and invest in topics we agree on. 

We have to stop allowing politicians and lobbyists divide us on topics that really don’t matter. 

In all seriousness, realignment isn't what we need. It's a detachment from our divisive media, social media and politicians. If that's the image of the world we're relying on, one that benefits them, not us, then our anxiety and rage will continue to build. Instead, let's view the world through our own eyes and experience. We'll see we have a lot more in common than the media and politicians suggest.

Here's a challenge: Try going without watching the news or tracking political stories on social media and this forum for a week. Focus your time on other things. Then, after a few days, gauge whether you feel better or worse about society. Having done this experiment for almost a year in 2021, I can tell you my life was much better. Unfortunately, as you can see, I got sucked back into politics thanks to the war in Ukraine. I know it's in my best interests to check back out again. 

I love my country. I proudly served my country. I love being an American.

I am completely in despair that we cannot solve problems anymore. I am not hopeful that will change.

if I had the means – and unfortunately I do not – I would immigrate to another country. Maybe Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the U.K. - two of those four are very difficult, but I could learn to love a new country.

I am optimistic about my own life. In eight days I’m getting married for a second time. My daughter just got into an awesome high school. My son is doing well; I’m enjoying being a grandfather. Can’t wait for the next (last) 2–3 decades of my life.

But I’ve giving up thinking the United States of America is headed towards her best days. The best is yet to come for BobbyLayne. My country is on its waning stages, and in whatever form that devolves, I feel certain by my 90th birthday we will barely still he considered a top 5 nation by any reasonable measure.

I

if I had the means – and unfortunately I do not – I would immigrate to another country. Maybe Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the U.K. - two of those four are very difficult, but I could learn to love a new country.
Hey GB - I’ll admit I don’t really know a whole lot about these four or really most other countries but what makes you convinced they don’t have their own problems?  Watching some of the things going on during Covid in the U.K. and Australia lead me to believe they are just as divided on some things than us.

Really most of the arguing that is going on now is older generations vs. younger.  When you are 90 a lot of those older generation people will be dead (unless you are already 70 or 80 ;) )

Never happening - ignoring DC, even the most lopsided states were not even 2-1 for one of the candidates.  People aren’t moving and they aren’t fighting their neighbors.  People need to stop with this silliness.
Yeah the question I always ask is who gets the nukes? 

I’m old enough to remember Rock ‘em Sock ‘em robots and I am beginning to think it wasn’t a coincidence that the robots were red and blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Distribution of the population means that this will never be a viable solution. But if I am wrong and it were to happen, it would give my new nation of Atlantica the opportunity to kill federalism dead and install a modern representative democracy in its place.

The practical issue is that the liberal states are on the east and west coasts so its difficult to achieve a geographic split in two.

Unless you're like minded to me, in which case we give Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi to the fascists and let them build their own wall.

I love my country. I proudly served my country. I love being an American.

I am completely in despair that we cannot solve problems anymore. I am not hopeful that will change.

I am optimistic about my own life. In eight days I’m getting married for a second time. My daughter just got into an awesome high school. My son is doing well; I’m enjoying being a grandfather. Can’t wait for the next (last) 2–3 decades of my life.

But I’ve giving up thinking the United States of America is headed towards her best days. The best is yet to come for BobbyLayne. My country is on its waning stages, and in whatever form that devolves, I feel certain by my 90th birthday we will barely still he considered a top 5 nation by any reasonable measure.

Maybe Red Dawn, rather than being about a Chinese invasion, should be about taking back the country from Big Media, the Technocrats and the two-party oligopoly which doesn't give a rat's behind about moderate governance and serving the people.

I don't want to see a World War. I don't want to see a Civil War. None of us do, and that is one of the few things I am certain of when it comes to this forum. But frequenting these boards over the last year, I've come now to realize we've become just too far apart. You and I, we won't ever see things in a reasonably joint manner. You do you, and sadly, I must do me. Best separate and respectful than intermingled and hateful, I now must conclude.

So how do we do this? How do we divide our country along political and geographic lines in a fashion that won't lead to kinetic conflict between us? I'm on the west coast and somehow now a hardcore conservative, despite growing up a progressive liberal. I want California, but I know I can't have it. But if I'm to give up this wonderous state, I want (somewhat) even return in the newly-constructed Conservative States of America.

How does that work? Be reasonable. I am giving you Cali-#######-fornia as an opening olive branch, for crying out loud.
Doesn’t happen smoothly. You need Great Depression like event to occur on a much worse scale for much longer. When basic services are no longer available, you can have a full government collapse. The feds are not going to give up power or territory voluntarily. 

Would the vast majority of cities be blue and more rural areas be red. Even in reddest and bluest states doesn’t the voting play out this way?

Hey GB - I’ll admit I don’t really know a whole lot about these four or really most other countries but what makes you convinced they don’t have their own problems?  Watching some of the things going on during Covid in the U.K. and Australia lead me to believe they are just as divided on some things than us.

Really most of the arguing that is going on now is older generations vs. younger.  When you are 90 a lot of those older generation people will be dead (unless you are already 70 or 80 ;) )
Yeah you know I definitely feel like, just as a for instance, I think Gun Control is going to get fixed by the kids. Like we’ll never got to figure it out, we’re too far apart, and the NRA has way too much weight right now.  That has to change. I’m a former hunter, I’m not trying to ban all guns, but we need a lot more restrictoons than we currently have.

As far as no country is perfect, absolutely. I mean, I just had to make a decision about which church to plant in. I used to go to a very large NYC church, they went through a bunch of scandals, there’s a documentary about them on Discovery channel right now - you probably know who I mean. No church is perfect, so I’m trying to figure out where to land next. Ultimately, I decided my fiancé‘s comfort is super important to me and while her church is kind of not my cup of tea, I’m gonna make it work. I totally get where you’re coming from there. 

Maybe Red Dawn, rather than being about a Chinese invasion, should be about taking back the country from Big Media, the Technocrats and the two-party oligopoly which doesn't give a rat's behind about moderate governance and serving the people.
Seems to be a widely held fantasy. 

If we ever break up, I think the split may end up being more like the Soviet Union than just a red and blue two way split. 
Go back to the states.   Then they can negotiate how they want to proceed.  I'll be moving to a state that keeps the constitution and bill of rights.   So a flyover state.   You know the blue states will vote to create heaven  on earth.   So they will end up like Venezuela or the former soviet union.

Since there is no practical or workable way to accomplish a realignment, this entire discussion is just academic. 

We have the water. We are gonna run this place like that dude in Mad Max Fury Road. 
U live in the Midwest?  I'm willing to send Wayne and Oakland counties from Michigan  so you get detroit as well as the economic engine of the region to the blue.   The rest goes red.  I'm ready to be cut deals.

How about we just reset back to the bill of rights, let states fund the limited fed and after that, states can govern as they choose. Kind of like the intent to begin with. 
Does this include stopping the welfare from the federal level down to the state level?

Users who are viewing this thread