What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Peaceful USA Realignment (1 Viewer)

To be succinct, we don't.   Society always has and always will transform naturally.  Where we are arrogant enough to decide we must force change, the outcomes are not likely to be what we want, nor positive. 

In all seriousness, realignment isn't what we need. It's a detachment from our divisive media, social media and politicians. If that's the image of the world we're relying on, one that benefits them, not us, then our anxiety and rage will continue to build. Instead, let's view the world through our own eyes and experience. We'll see we have a lot more in common than the media and politicians suggest.

Here's a challenge: Try going without watching the news or tracking political stories on social media and this forum for a week. Focus your time on other things. Then, after a few days, gauge whether you feel better or worse about society. Having done this experiment for almost a year in 2021, I can tell you my life was much better. Unfortunately, as you can see, I got sucked back into politics thanks to the war in Ukraine. I know it's in my best interests to check back out again. 

I removed everything even slightly political from my Facebook feed.  The problem is people can't help themselves and they inject politics into EVERYTHING.  I work in real estate so I am in some real estate groups, investment groups, some local area groups to places I invest in.  Holy cow, there just can't be a discussion about any of those things without half the people starting with "Brandon" or "Trump" or "demonrats" or whatever.

Sometimes I just wonder if this is where these people saw themselves in life 15 years ago.  Angrily browsing Facebook just ruining any rational discussion by injecting politics where no one wants it.

I removed everything even slightly political from my Facebook feed.  The problem is people can't help themselves and they inject politics into EVERYTHING.  I work in real estate so I am in some real estate groups, investment groups, some local area groups to places I invest in.  Holy cow, there just can't be a discussion about any of those things without half the people starting with "Brandon" or "Trump" or "demonrats" or whatever.

Sometimes I just wonder if this is where these people saw themselves in life 15 years ago.  Angrily browsing Facebook just ruining any rational discussion by injecting politics where no one wants it.
I see it on LinkedIn too. It's gross. 

It is indeed an academic exercise but velvet divorces are just uncommon, not unprecedented.

The real danger comes when a majority of voters (or wannabe voters) are consistently denied what they perceive as a fair crack at governance. And that time is coming with our unrepresentative system of elections.

Realizing that this thread was started immediately after I butted heads with you, and reflecting on that, this was not my desired outcome. You're ready to break up this country rather than continue to grow and change? I'm not. Aside from the logistical nightmare that would cause, one of the mostly unsung things that actually helps make this country awesome is its geography. Access to 2 oceans. A huge country that is overwhelming habitable. Plenty of resources, the ability to self sustain if it needed to. Breaking up the nation would be giving all of that up and significantly weaken ALL of the resulting smaller pieces.

I was a jerk earlier, and I can admit that. I hope that you can do some reflection yourself and realize that you, just like the rest of us, can keep growing too. And that is really what I nation needs more than anything, a new attitude. The ability to admit and own our mistakes as well as we claim ownership for our successes. And to not continually label everything as "radical left" or "extreme right" and just actually talk. I vehemently disagree with your take on The Floor is Lava, but I certainly could've done that more civilly. Diversity of opinion should be celebrated as much as any other diversity, because it leads to better outcomes. But we all need to take active steps to make that happen, and we need to be willing to revise our opinions if they're demonstrably wrongheaded. If you want a better and more unified country, the best place to begin that journey is with yourself.

I think this also vastly overestimates the amount of people who care.  The folks in the PSF aren’t a good gauge and most in here say it’s crazy.  Others folks will think it’s a joke or a crazy conspiracy.

U live in the Midwest?  I'm willing to send Wayne and Oakland counties from Michigan  so you get detroit as well as the economic engine of the region to the blue.   The rest goes red.  I'm ready to be cut deals.
I second this division of Michigan.

I look forward to the states competing for population. Some will have vaccines and healthcare, some will accept immigrants, some will outlaw abortion completely, other will have open gun laws. Curious to see how the trade agreements play out and how much more regulation is required by small companies having to go towards a multinational structure. 

I'm curious about how those living in the Traditional Remaining USA want their government to be? Same as before only more conservative?

With remote work I'll go live in a state with low income tax and nice weather.  
Wouldn't be such a thing if federal funds are cut off as Philo suggests.

ETA:  Let me revise....wouldn't be such a thing that you'd likely want to be a part of.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I’m a centrist and my wife’s a conservative.  We have a great marriage but will we have to divorce now? What about my dog, she seems pretty liberal (requires me “big government” to feed and take care of her)?  Where do us centrist live?  What about the MAGA and Woke wings of the respective parties, do they further segregate within their own territories?   Can we just carve out those 2 extremes and force them to live together Hunger Games style so the rest of us can live in relative peace?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I’m a centrist and my wife’s a conservative.  We have a great marriage but will we have to divorce now? What about my dog, she seems pretty liberal (requires me “big government” to feed and take care of her)?  Where do us centrist live?  What about the MAGA and Woke wings of the respective parties, do they further segregate within their own territories?   Can we just carve out those 2 extremes and force them to live together Hunger Games style so the rest of us can live in relative peace?
The "centrists" can live in 90% of the existing country since and finally enjoy not having the constant fringe noise in our left and right ears. We'll actually get things done and all the fringe folks can have California and Florida and each begin their slide into poverty and failure by utilizing completely different avenues to race to the exact same destination.

The Commish said:

ETA:  Let me revise....wouldn't be such a thing that you'd likely want to be a part of.
We currently send most of our income taxes to the Fed today. I would think states can still function with a modest income tax say 10 - 15%. 

Cowboysfan8 said:
And no guns, good luck keeping those things 
Yeah, I can't imagine that situation. Once the rest of the industrialized world catches up to the brilliance of the American conservative, they'll be able to keep their jobs and healthcare. 

(HULK) said:
The "centrists" can live in 90% of the existing country since and finally enjoy not having the constant fringe noise in our left and right ears. We'll actually get things done and all the fringe folks can have California and Florida and each begin their slide into poverty and failure by utilizing completely different avenues to race to the exact same destination.
There’s no question our land will be where everybody wants to live. We’re the only group that understands compromise therefore we’d have the best of both worlds. The only issue I have with your statement is as a born and bred Californian I’m not sure either group deserves this beautiful state. 

The Commish said:

Low taxes is relative.  I'd move to the state with the best weather and lowest taxes.

There’s no question our land will be where everybody wants to live. We’re the only group that understands compromise therefore we’d have the best of both worlds. The only issue I have with your statement is as a born and bred Californian I’m not sure either group deserves this beautiful state. 
I was trying to give both Liberaland and Conservistan a fighting chance with access to a coast. Plus those two states both have strong leans already. I almost went with Texas for Conservistan but I was happy to take the opportunity to move the Florida Man meme out of my country.

dkp993 said:
Reality TV would suddenly become interesting.

Hoh said:
Will we rename the states to something more befitting the ideologies?  Like “Wokelahoma” and “Cancelvania”?
Magachusetts, Michigun and everything right of center (roughly Kansas) can go to the Redderlands, while anything left of the Rockies is officially Bluetopia.

Each new country gets a coast, and roughly the same population.

quick-hands said:
Go back to the states.   Then they can negotiate how they want to proceed.  I'll be moving to a state that keeps the constitution and bill of rights.   So a flyover state.   You know the blue states will vote to create heaven  on earth.   So they will end up like Venezuela or the former soviet union.
When the Big One hits California, they won’t be getting foreign aid from red states

Yeah, I just got told a couple weeks ago that I don't have to return to office for at least the next school year, if ever.  The equity partner was somewhat vague.  So, I've been looking at Florida.  

Sorry. Florida's closed. The moose out from should have told ya. 

Magachusetts, Michigun and everything right of center (roughly Kansas) can go to the Redderlands, while anything left of the Rockies is officially Bluetopia.

Each new country gets a coast, and roughly the same population.

I was thinking of a more diagonal split. 

Team Red gets Southern Calf to the NE   Team Blue gets from the NW down to the Gulf Coast,  We just set up a DMZ in the middle. 

I was thinking more of a 5-6 regional split based roughly on football conference. Pac10, Big10, Old Big8, SEC, ACC, Big East. 

I was thinking of a more diagonal split. 

Team Red gets Southern Calf to the NE   Team Blue gets from the NW down to the Gulf Coast,  We just set up a DMZ in the middle. 
The existing eastern borders of WY, MT, CO and NM work pretty well. Coincidentally, the Bluetopian states are pretty much all my current favorites, so I’d never need to set foot in the Redderlands.

Country won't split into two parts. Probably 5 or 6 parts.
I've been thinking three, with two closely aligned coastal nations. Could be four if Texas decides to go its own way before conservatives lose control there. But a B1G nation of states bordering the Great Lakes is fun to think about.

Great Lakes Republic: the former states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota. Population a little over fitty million, about the same as South Korea. Moderately conservative politically without being overtly hostile to good democracy. Lots of fresh water and agricultural production yet liberally sprinkled with serious metropolitan areas.

For the academic exercise of it, it's hard to believe California wouldn't be split into.  Obviously in population it's a very blue state, but there are some pretty good land masses of red area in California.  I believe the same is true of Oregon.  Illinois is a blue state but it's Chicago and a bunch of red.  The problem is then how do you resolve it without a fight?  For instance, Chicago isn't going to want to be part of team Red and the rest of Illinois isn't going to cede all that land to the blue side.  What happens when team Red cuts off some of the water to CA in order to save it for itself?

For the academic exercise of it, it's hard to believe California wouldn't be split into.  Obviously in population it's a very blue state, but there are some pretty good land masses of red area in California.  I believe the same is true of Oregon.  Illinois is a blue state but it's Chicago and a bunch of red.  The problem is then how do you resolve it without a fight?  For instance, Chicago isn't going to want to be part of team Red and the rest of Illinois isn't going to cede all that land to the blue side.  What happens when team Red cuts off some of the water to CA in order to save it for itself?

Same thing in PA.  Philly & Pitt are blue.  The center with all the farmland is red.

Users who are viewing this thread