What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Peaceful USA Realignment (1 Viewer)

We don't have state income tax, which sounds cool until you realize most, if not all, of what you save in state income taxes is going to go directly back into property taxes and property insurance.  Of course, you could move to the area between the panhandle and Jacksonville in the swamps and likely come out ahead, but if you go to any of the large population areas or to the coast in any of the areas, you're likely not going to be saving a ton in taxes overall and in many cases you'll be paying more total.

Harsh reality I learned in our migration here in 2017

Real Estate taxes (and bridge tolls) is exactly what has prevented me from moving to New Jersey.

I remember one fella at the other board picking Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee and Virginia just because he loved the way it looked on a map.

You got to give your state quad a creative name.

and while we are at it let’s make every state geographically square

Illinois and her ugly stepsisters:  Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin

illinois will run the show

Wisconsin will do what we tell them including relocating Chicago gangs and homeless to Milwaukee.  Plus take our dumbest IL people and still raise the average iq of that state

Minnesota cause they are well educated according to ranks and IL can outsource our worst jobs there

iowa cause nobody else will take them

Last edited by a moderator:

Wisconsin will do what we tell them including relocating Chicago gangs and homeless to Milwaukee.  Plus take our dumbest IL people and still raise the average iq of that state

Minnesota cause they are well educated according to ranks and IL can outsource our worst jobs there

Once you understandably headed northwest to start, your fourth pick offered up some tough choices. I guess an argument could be made for Missouri over Iowa.

Lol at the guy obsessing over 1/6 all day every day claims he outwork someone. 

Are you making fun of guys that have purses?  How liberal of you.
Yea, what timing for a dig like that...I don't think the purse comment would fly in the drag queen, or LGBTQ threads.....very insensitive......might get a feller cancelled.

Maryland - Virginia, Pennsylvania and North Carolina (in a close call over New York; I think NC is on the upswing)
Yeah, I know Sand jokingly cried at my leaving Alabama out but picking those 3 - TN, NC and FL was easy.  Mountains, beaches and some great cities that we vacation in those 3.  SC and Bama have a lot in common with the non-Atlanta parts of Georgia so not getting much benefits with those.  

I remember one fella at the other board picking Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee and Virginia just because he loved the way it looked on a map.
Wait, I may have misunderstood the rules.  I can pick any state that borders a state that borders mine too - so any contiguous grouping?  Not sure it would change my answer though.  Would maybe have to consult a map.

I’m in Texas. I’d take New Mexico, Arizona and California. Really, I don’t care that much about NM and AZ, it’s just a way for me to grab both CA and TX which both bring great things to the table resource-wise. 

thought about this a little more.

MN would be the sanitation department for IL.  MN state slogan “Where Illinois gives a poop”

The 10 percent of Iowa that is not farmland would be leveled and replaced with farmland.  The firstborn female in each WI family would be sent to IA to plow fields.

WI state slogan:  “Know your role”

Everybody selected last for dodgeball would be relocated to IA.  

I’m in Texas. I’d take New Mexico, Arizona and California. Really, I don’t care that much about NM and AZ, it’s just a way for me to grab both CA and TX which both bring great things to the table resource-wise. 

With actual political bifurcation, California would split in half. Too many Republicans in CA to concede the state.

The critical issue to start would be equal division of the major ports. Without that, there would be civil war.

Coordination for national defense would be close to impossible. Civil war would likely be inevitable anyway. If it makes you feel better, my side would win, but I'd guarantee your safety and the safety of your family.

You know how some people here have that subtitle, FBG Beta Tester under their screen name. Mine should read "Man Of The People"

With actual political bifurcation, California would split in half. Too many Republicans in CA to concede the state.

The critical issue to start would be equal division of the major ports. Without that, there would be civil war.

Coordination for national defense would be close to impossible. Civil war would likely be inevitable anyway. If it makes you feel better, my side would win, but I'd guarantee your safety and the safety of your family.

You know how some people here have that subtitle, FBG Beta Tester under their screen name. Mine should read "Man Of The People"
1) This is my theoretical secession scenario, so I reject your rules. In my world, CaliZonaNewTexico is a well-functioning sovereign with citizens across the political spectrum. 

2) Republicans aren’t conceding the state by joining with Texas. To the contrary . . .

3) Your side would win?  I live in a red city in a rural red county in a red state, and happily at that. No offense intended, but the fact that you insist on viewing things through the lens of “your side” and “my side” and one of the sides “winning” is why you suck. 😉  Put another way, I don’t live on the Internet, and have no problem IRL living, working, socializing and making a difference with people from across the political spectrum. 

CaliZonaNewTexico gets me a whole bunch of things I like and that would be good for a sovereign nation:

1) Ports on multiple coasts

2) Tons of industry and innovation

3) Diversity

4) Fantastic culture and food

5) The source for a significant portion of young athletic talent in baseball, football and basketball, leading to great domestic sports teams

6) Agriculture and ranching

7) A foreign border for trade (we would own that entire border)

8) Beaches, mountains, snow skiing, hiking, National parks, natural wonders

9) Domestic energy sources (Permian basin, offshore drilling)

10) Tech sector (Silicon Valley, Austin, Space X)

11) Military staffed by citizens from the number 1 and number 2 ranked states in terms of military enlistment 

12) Entertainment and music hubs

BobbyLayne said:
I love my country. I proudly served my country. I love being an American.

I am completely in despair that we cannot solve problems anymore. I am not hopeful that will change.

if I had the means – and unfortunately I do not – I would immigrate to another country. Maybe Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the U.K. - two of those four are very difficult, but I could learn to love a new country.

I am optimistic about my own life. In eight days I’m getting married for a second time. My daughter just got into an awesome high school. My son is doing well; I’m enjoying being a grandfather. Can’t wait for the next (last) 2–3 decades of my life.

But I’ve giving up thinking the United States of America is headed towards her best days. The best is yet to come for BobbyLayne. My country is on its waning stages, and in whatever form that devolves, I feel certain by my 90th birthday we will barely still he considered a top 5 nation by any reasonable measure.
I agree, it is simply not sustainable to have one of our two major political party's leaders  insist they won an election they have no evidence provable in court they won. Some participants in National elections have claimed they won but have always eventually conceded but one. Not sure if that one will get a chance again in 2024 but even having a slim possibility he could should cause grave concern. Is this going to be part of what Trumpism brings to the GOP or will it die with the unprecedented dishonest selfish conceit of #45? Seeing how a Representative who voted to impeach in SC was defeated soundly and how Cheney's Wyoming election bid will have similar results I am not hopeful. Congrats and good luck in your new life BL.

Wait, I may have misunderstood the rules.  I can pick any state that borders a state that borders mine too - so any contiguous grouping?  Not sure it would change my answer though.  Would maybe have to consult a map.
Yes, sorry that I wasn't clear about that. Let's amend it to: any four states that include your own and result in a new nation with contiguous borders.

Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah. Gives this new country access to borders with Mexico and California for trade. 
Under the rules clarification above, would you reconsider your choices? If Colorado is your starting point, you could get California, for example.

1) This is my theoretical secession scenario, so I reject your rules. In my world, CaliZonaNewTexico is a well-functioning sovereign with citizens across the political spectrum. 

2) Republicans aren’t conceding the state by joining with Texas. To the contrary . . .

3) Your side would win?  I live in a red city in a rural red county in a red state, and happily at that. No offense intended, but the fact that you insist on viewing things through the lens of “your side” and “my side” and one of the sides “winning” is why you suck. 😉  Put another way, I don’t live on the Internet, and have no problem in IRL living, working, socializing and making a difference with people from across the political spectrum. 
If you don't have a direct headline, I'm not sure how you can make rules.

The more I hear about all these realignment scenarios, the more I am turned off by it.  We need to stick together.  I mean, seriously, is there anything so live-changingly important that is worth blowing up such a good thing?

The more I hear about all these realignment scenarios, the more I am turned off by it.  We need to stick together.  I mean, seriously, is there anything so live-changingly important that is worth blowing up such a good thing?
And once you start dividing it doesn’t stop.  Within each party are group that would want to divide further, and more groups that want to divide from them.  It’s a snowball rolling.  

Maryland here as well. I'd take Pennsylvania, Ontario, and Quebec.
Ontario and the Maritime provinces at least will get an invitation to join our new nation of Atlantica. Quebec's insistence on special levels of autonomy is potentially divisive, though I admit that Canada has found ways to reasonably accommodate them.

Yes, sorry that I wasn't clear about that. Let's amend it to: any four states that include your own and result in a new nation with contiguous borders.
I think it was more my reading comprehension.

I don’t think mine would change - the only somewhat interesting things I could do from Georgia with that change is include Texas and a Virginia/Maryland combo.  If I was thinking natural resources and land then Texas would be an obvious choice.  But I can’t get Texas and Florida both.  I’ll stick with Florida - Tennessee- North Carolina.

Utah, Nevada, California (Hawaii)

Also, you should consider swapping for VA. FL is gross.
Some Florida people are gross but every state has gross people.  Florida has Gulf beaches, Atlanta beaches, Miami and Disney World/Universal.  Virginia seems like a nice place but I’m not vacationing at VA beaches and I’m not familiar enough with what else the state has.  No brainer for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread