What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Media Criticism (1 Viewer)

It was NOT about Trump.  It was very clearly about Trump supporters. 
Really...it wasn't about Trump?

Wilson used the topic to mock President Trump as well as his supporters.

"[Pompeo] also knows deep within his heart that Donald Trump couldn't find Ukraine on a map if you had the letter U and a picture of an actual physical crane next to it," Wilson began, causing Lemon to chuckle. "He knows that this is, you know, an administration defined by ignorance of the world. And so that's partly him playing to the base and playing to their audience. You know, the credulous boomer rube demo that backs Donald Trump."
It was about both...

He did not single out officials.  Not all "never Trump" republicans are public figures or officials.

Should we go over him calling people losers and haters?
Are you trying to tell me this quote is referring to everyday Joe republicans?

The Never Trumper Republicans, though on respirators with not many left, are in certain ways worse and more dangerous for our Country than the Do Nothing Democrats. Watch out for them, they are human scum!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 23, 2019

The Never Trumper Republicans, though on respirators with not many left, are in certain ways worse and more dangerous for our Country than the Do Nothing Democrats. Watch out for them, they are human scum!

Doesn’t it repulse you that he calls people “human scum”? 

Yes...I believe that quote is referring to everyone that is a never trumper and those that don't like him.

And there are plenty more where yes he has gone after people that were not public officials.

To keep claiming that he only mocks public officials is wrong.

Yes...I believe that quote is referring to everyone that is a never trumper and those that don't like him.

And there are plenty more where yes he has gone after people that were not public officials.

To keep claiming that he only mocks public officials is wrong.
I might not be aware of everything he has said and that's why I asked for some examples.

I can't imagine what it's like to be on a "side" and feeling the need to defend it at all costs.  Just the last few pages seem to be exhausting.  Reality is, when you hitch your wagon to Trump like his SUPPORTERS do, the fleas are part of the package.  If you're going to continue to give him full throated support at this point, after three years of being able to see what he's really about as sitting President, I'm not sure you're the correct kind of person to be pushing back on anything others do that resemble what he does daily.  That's being intellectually dishonest on all sides.  This, of course, goes for all politicians not just Trump.  If you support them, you have to deal with the baggage that comes with them.  The "ends justify the means" approach is a ##### to defend on moral grounds alone, not to mention the tight spots political actions create.  There is a group that is probably lumped in with them that shouldn't be and they would be the Trump VOTERS who voted for him the first time around and are now regretting their decision even if they agree with his policy positions.

You're completely mischaracterizing it, and it's not even worth discussing it if you view the Lemon segment as "laughing at Trump."

They insulted the intelligence of Trump supporters.  It's not even close to what you're claiming it is. 

Politicians attacking each other?  What a horror.

But to call Voters who disagree with you uneducated and unintelligent?  Seems uncalled for to me.  But hey man, keep taking the moral high ground.  You guys are so great at that.
Yea that's a reach.  Your trying to mischaracterize  what Trumps/TrumpSupporters memes and all the stuff they do.  And its not the first time.  Be honest there are uneducated and unintelligent voters on each side.  It was a funny segment with a hint of truth in it.  I think that's why the GOP is taking it so personal, because there is a hint of truth in it.   Bottom line, this is not a big deal, but the way that Trump Supporters are making this out to be just shows how sensitive they are.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly yes.  But that wasn't the point.  The claim was he makes fun of voters/ non public officials.
Genuine question, because I really don't have a gauge on where the party stands, but who is included in "Never Trump Republicans"?  Is that code for a group other than all the people (politicians and electorate alike) who never want Trump in office?

Genuine question, because I really don't have a gauge on where the party stands, but who is included in "Never Trump Republicans"?  Is that code for a group other than all the people (politicians and electorate alike) who never want Trump in office?
I think that tweet was directed at the three republican candidates that are challenging him. I read an article saying there are only three left and never trump politicians are almost extinct. His mention of " do nothing democrats" is obviously a reference to congress. So i think concluding that he means joe public with that tweet is misguided. None of that touches on the morality of saying that guys running against him are human scum, which is obviously uncalled for. 

Eta: he could also mean romney. 

Paul Ryan was a never Trumper, Romney has always been a question mark to me, but I'm not sure who all trump considers a never Trumper.  I think there are still several floating around in high profile positions. 

Uneducated, immoral, bigot, the list goes on and on.  The Liberals clearly have a hold on being smart and moral. 
I'm sure the 'uneducated' part cokes from an official polling term. Uneducated whites=no college degree. Trump does much better in polls with uneducated whites than he does with educated whites.  This isn't some made up insult.

I'm sure the 'uneducated' part cokes from an official polling term. Uneducated whites=no college degree. Trump does much better in polls with uneducated whites than he does with educated whites.  This isn't some made up insult.
It isn't unless you are portion of the population who is looking for something, anything to be upset about. and the Right wing talk radio, fox news, and others have been flaming the flames for years, This predates Trump, but those who defend and support Trump at cost folks are in a perpetual stage of validating your victim-hood. War on Christmas, Sharia Law, etc. The Left is out to get you and your way of life. They are Hyper sensitive to it all and actions like the Lemon interview, no matter how inconsequential it may seem to you or I , is a big deal to these people. I see it everyday. You can not argue emotion with rationality. That why facts mean little to them. 

Yea that's a reach.  Your trying to mischaracterize  what Trumps/TrumpSupporters memes and all the stuff they do.  And its not the first time.  Be honest there are uneducated and unintelligent voters on each side.  It was a funny segment with a hint of truth in it.  I think that's why the GOP is taking it so personal, because there is a hint of truth in it.   Bottom line, this is not a big deal, but the way that Trump Supporters are making this out to be just shows how sensitive they are.    
LOL

It’s funny with a hint of truth:  no bias there.

And calling Republicans the sensitive ones is the funniest thing I’ve heard on here.

If that’s the only point, fine.  But when you throw in your fake southern accent to imitate them:  that’s saying a lot more than “someone doesn’t have a degree.”

People shouldn't be so hard on themselves to think they are haters and losers.  But I can see why some would be upset by this. 
And its much more than that...but again, we are comparing a President...to talking heads on opinion shows.

Im sure there are plenty of things Fox News guys have said...that have gotten zero complaint from those so upset with Lemon...

And I just find it hilarious...that something Lemon would say would motivate someone to forget everything else about Trump and still support him.

Not a candidate saying something, or actual politicians...but Don Lemon.

Also the implication is that they’re somehow less intelligent.

Many of our military members didn’t go to college.  I’ve got a 4 year degree in Biochem.  I’ve got an MD.

Does that mean i know politics and policy better than them?  

Of course not.

But you love to harp on the lack of college—as if a degree in literature somehow makes you an expert in American law/politics.

And its much more than that...but again, we are comparing a President...to talking heads on opinion shows.

Im sure there are plenty of things Fox News guys have said...that have gotten zero complaint from those so upset with Lemon...

And I just find it hilarious...that something Lemon would say would motivate someone to forget everything else about Trump and still support him.

You’re comparing the president to it.

Because talking about anything other than “Trump bad” is impossible here.

They were laughing at Trump? I thought they were teasing trump supporters. the "boomer rube demo"

But I guess if trump did something bad everybody else is immune from criticism, always. 
It was directed at his supporters and Lemon fell head first right into Trump’s trap.  That kind of “news” is like assisting your firing squad in loading their weapons.  Unbelievably stupid and, more importantly, arrogant.  It’s the arrogance that gets the votes out.

He’s going to win again.  It seems like it should be impossible, but his opposition never fails to fall into the media trap.  He’s a master media manipulator.

You’re comparing the president to it.

Because talking about anything other than “Trump bad” is impossible here.
People already said that Lemon was wrong.  We have moved past this...but it was brought up with Trump because people are claiming this will motivate people to support him.

People already said that Lemon was wrong.  We have moved past this...but it was brought up with Trump because people are claiming this will motivate people to support him.
Dude.

We’re in the media thread.  We post something the media does.

You respond with “Yeah, it’s bad, but look what Trump did.”  As if there aren’t enough other threads to bash Trump in.

Also the implication is that they’re somehow less intelligent.

Many of our military members didn’t go to college.  I’ve got a 4 year degree in Biochem.  I’ve got an MD.

Does that mean i know politics and policy better than them?  

Of course not.

But you love to harp on the lack of college—as if a degree in literature somehow makes you an expert in American law/politics.
I'm simply explaining to you what the term 'Uneducated' means when people use it in polling statistics. 

This is the media criticism thread.  I don't know why you're trying so hard to deflect for Don Lemon.  The guy is bad on many levels. 

I'm simply explaining to you what the term 'Uneducated' means when people use it in polling statistics. 
There’s a way to say “no college degree,” besides “uneducated.”  Uneducated implies lack of intelligience/stupidity.  I realize you didnt pick the wording, but there’s a clear agenda when describing Trump supporters as uneducated.

It was directed at his supporters and Lemon fell head first right into Trump’s trap.  That kind of “news” is like assisting your firing squad in loading their weapons.  Unbelievably stupid and, more importantly, arrogant.  It’s the arrogance that gets the votes out.

He’s going to win again.  It seems like it should be impossible, but his opposition never fails to fall into the media trap.  He’s a master media manipulator.
Everyone knows he has a chance to win again. But it won't be because Rick Wilson and Don Lemon were laughing at him. People love Alec Baldwin because he's doing a spot-on impression of Trump and viewers love laughing at the things he does and says. I don't think Trump is gaining votes every time they do a skit.  

Anyone who is voting for Trump because Rick Wilson mocked his intelligence and Don Lemon laughed, was voting for him anyway.

There’s a way to say “no college degree,” besides “uneducated.”  Uneducated implies lack of intelligience/stupidity.  I realize you didnt pick the wording, but there’s a clear agenda when describing Trump supporters as uneducated.
Maybe Trump can figure out a way to get more votes from educated voters this time around and the term you deem to be insulting will be about Democrats. It is what it is. 

Dude.

We’re in the media thread.  We post something the media does.

You respond with “Yeah, it’s bad, but look what Trump did.”  As if there aren’t enough other threads to bash Trump in.
Dude...the topic was brought up that it will motivate people to vote for Trump...as part of that discussion I mentioned that its odd to be motivated by Don Lemon and excuse and ignore the things Trump does and says.

It was relevant to what was being talked about.

This is the media criticism thread.  I don't know why you're trying so hard to deflect for Don Lemon.  The guy is bad on many levels. 
See above...it was part of the discussion.  And I don't give a crap about Don Lemon...Ive stated multiple times that what he said was wrong.

Everyone knows he has a chance to win again. But it won't be because Rick Wilson and Don Lemon were laughing at him. People love Alec Baldwin because he's doing a spot-on impression of Trump and viewers love laughing at the things he does and says. I don't think Trump is gaining votes every time they do a skit.  

Anyone who is voting for Trump because Rick Wilson mocked his intelligence and Don Lemon laughed, was voting for him anyway.
Conflating what Alec Baldwin does on SNL with what Don Lemon did on CNN is a great example of how oblivious many are as to how Trump manipulates the media to get his voters out.

Conflating what Alec Baldwin does on SNL with what Don Lemon did on CNN is a great example of how oblivious many are as to how Trump manipulates the media to get his voters out.
Are you implying that Trump somehow lured Rick Wilson to make fun of his intelligence  Wow, he really is playing 3D chess. 

I can't imagine what it's like to be on a "side" and feeling the need to defend it at all costs.  Just the last few pages seem to be exhausting.  Reality is, when you hitch your wagon to Trump like his SUPPORTERS do, the fleas are part of the package.  If you're going to continue to give him full throated support at this point, after three years of being able to see what he's really about as sitting President, I'm not sure you're the correct kind of person to be pushing back on anything others do that resemble what he does daily.  That's being intellectually dishonest on all sides.  This, of course, goes for all politicians not just Trump.  If you support them, you have to deal with the baggage that comes with them.  The "ends justify the means" approach is a ##### to defend on moral grounds alone, not to mention the tight spots political actions create.  There is a group that is probably lumped in with them that shouldn't be and they would be the Trump VOTERS who voted for him the first time around and are now regretting their decision even if they agree with his policy positions.
Implying you're not on a "side".  It's ok to be antiTrump, just own it dude.  The CNN segment was appalling whether you like Trump or not.  

Paul Ryan was a never Trumper, Romney has always been a question mark to me, but I'm not sure who all trump considers a never Trumper.  I think there are still several floating around in high profile positions. 
So...in your view its a term reserved for those in office and does not apply to average Joes not in office who will do any/everything to to keep Trump from office?  Is there a term for those people?

So...in your view its a term reserved for those in office and does not apply to average Joes not in office who will do any/everything to to keep Trump from office?  Is there a term for those people?
There can be never trumpers who aren't politicians.  I think in the terms of his tweet, he was referring to politicians. 

Implying you're not on a "side".  It's ok to be antiTrump, just own it dude.  The CNN segment was appalling whether you like Trump or not.  
I jumped back in this thread about two pages ago.  I have no clue what CNN segment you are talking about.  I don't watch our media outlets unless there is breaking news or major events going on, so I'm pretty confident in saying you're barking up the wrong tree as I was reacting to the posts of this thread (not some CNN segment) and making an observation.  I am absolutely 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% against Trump.  In my estimation, he's the most morally bankrupt man to hold the office of President in my lifetime.  I cloak myself in the pride I take in disliking Trump with a passion I don't think I've ever had towards another human being ever.  "Owning it" has never been a problem for me :lmao:  

That position has nothing to do with being part of the "sides" we have here.  No matter how much people want that to be true.  There are MANY of us here who find ourselves outside of the "Us vs Them" paradigm some of you are trying to create (for simplicity sake I am assuming).  

I jumped back in this thread about two pages ago.  I have no clue what CNN segment you are talking about.  I don't watch our media outlets unless there is breaking news or major events going on, so I'm pretty confident in saying you're barking up the wrong tree as I was reacting to the posts of this thread (not some CNN segment) and making an observation.  I am absolutely 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% against Trump.  In my estimation, he's the most morally bankrupt man to hold the office of President in my lifetime.  I cloak myself in the pride I take in disliking Trump with a passion I don't think I've ever had towards another human being ever.  "Owning it" has never been a problem for me :lmao:  

That position has nothing to do with being part of the "sides" we have here.  No matter how much people want that to be true.  There are MANY of us here who find ourselves outside of the "Us vs Them" paradigm some of you are trying to create (for simplicity sake I am assuming).  
You say you “can’t imagine what it’s like to be on a ‘side.’”  Then, making sure to put supporters in all caps, go on a tirade against the hypocrisy of ‘Trump supporters’ in the context of a discussion centered on a CNN panel insulting the intelligence of 63 million voters.  I think there’s a lot of people that don’t identify as Trump supporters that find this to be insulting behavior for a nominally nonpartisan news channel. 

The ‘above the fray’ shtick doesn’t make sense if you can’t decouple a simple, valid critique of corporate media from the ‘but trump!’  stuff. 

You say you “can’t imagine what it’s like to be on a ‘side.’”  Then, making sure to put supporters in all caps, go on a tirade against the hypocrisy of ‘Trump supporters’ in the context of a discussion centered on a CNN panel insulting the intelligence of 63 million voters.  I think there’s a lot of people that don’t identify as Trump supporters that find this to be insulting behavior for a nominally nonpartisan news channel. 

The ‘above the fray’ shtick doesn’t make sense if you can’t decouple a simple, valid critique of corporate media from the ‘but trump!’  stuff. 
I'll say again, I have no idea what CNN insulting went on.  My comments had nothing to do with CNN, rather the reactions on this board.  If anyone's coupled my comments to anything, it would be you and would be a YOU problem.  I've told you twice now the context of my words so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop trying to alter that context to fit some narrative you want to be true.  There's a legit reason why I made the comment stand alone and not in response to anyone.  I did use Trump supporters as an example because that is what was being talked about in the thread best I can tell and I stand by that.  ANYONE who is giving full throated support to candidate doing X doesn't get to condemn someone else for doing X.  That should be a standard IMO.  It should be that obvious, especially in today's political climate.  

To the bold, I agree and did just that in my post ironically.  

I'll say again, I have no idea what CNN insulting went on.  My comments had nothing to do with CNN, rather the reactions on this board.  If anyone's coupled my comments to anything, it would be you and would be a YOU problem.  I've told you twice now the context of my words so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop trying to alter that context to fit some narrative you want to be true.  There's a legit reason why I made the comment stand alone and not in response to anyone.  I did use Trump supporters as an example because that is what was being talked about in the thread best I can tell and I stand by that.  ANYONE who is giving full throated support to candidate doing X doesn't get to condemn someone else for doing X.  That should be a standard IMO.  It should be that obvious, especially in today's political climate.  

To the bold, I agree and did just that in my post ironically.  
Ok that conversation sprung entirely from people 'but Trump'-ing the CNN panel that was linked beforehand, so your comments were in the midst of other people making it about Trump supporters themselves rather than CNN trashing 63 million people, with the added bonus of pretending to be above the partisan fray.  But given that you were unaware of the actual topic at hand, that I don't want this to be another Trump thread, and that I don't really care anymore I'll just chalk it up to a simple misunderstanding.  

As far as hypocrisy, I agree it's hard to understand how they could criticize others for division/hatred etc.  Perhaps that is because this is the Media Criticism thread, and not a Trump thread.  Either way, it's no excuse for CNN airing out their contempt for the electorate.  

I wasn't aware of that, so I stand corrected.

However the bartender said "The place was packed. I’m sure other people saw" yet if that were the case there should be plenty of other witnesses.  

Plus from article:

CNN has firmly denied that Lemon was involved in the alleged incident and said that Hice has a history of antagonizing the cable news network.

"The plaintiff in this lawsuit has previously displayed a pattern of contempt for CNN on his social media accounts,” a representative for CNN said. "This claim follows his unsuccessful threats and demands for an exorbitant amount of money from Don Lemon. Don categorically denies these claims and this matter does not merit any further comment at this time."
There were no witnesses! 

Errr...i mean there arent enough witnesses! 

Plaintiff says that he was offered a settlement...cant be trusted.

CNN says Hice was  out to get them...fact!!!! 

Lol. 

Ok that conversation sprung entirely from people 'but Trump'-ing the CNN panel that was linked beforehand, so your comments were in the midst of other people making it about Trump supporters themselves rather than CNN trashing 63 million people, with the added bonus of pretending to be above the partisan fray.  But given that you were unaware of the actual topic at hand, that I don't want this to be another Trump thread, and that I don't really care anymore I'll just chalk it up to a simple misunderstanding.  

As far as hypocrisy, I agree it's hard to understand how they could criticize others for division/hatred etc.  Perhaps that is because this is the Media Criticism thread, and not a Trump thread.  Either way, it's no excuse for CNN airing out their contempt for the electorate.  
No worries :hifive:

To the bold it's not hard to understand at all.  It's pretty simple.  Many people pick/choose based on their personal self interests.  I get that.  The media has nothing to do with that.  That sort of decision making is made by the individual and they need to take ownership of it.  And I don't have any problem with holding enablers of such bad behavior with a certain level of contempt.  They don't get to say "hey, stop saying mean things about him" as he's spewing hatred himself and they continue to support him (happily in most cases)

https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/status/1222356876941197313?s=20

Lemon responds to backlash over CNN panel discussion that ripped Trump supporters as "boomer rubes".  Says he 'didn't catch everything that was said.'  
I'm late to the game here and not much of a contributor, but do you focus the same amount of attention on media outlets on the right, or is it only those on the left that are accountable for everything someone says on their station?

I'm not condoning anything done on CNN, just asking.

I'm late to the game here and not much of a contributor, but do you focus the same amount of attention on media outlets on the right, or is it only those on the left that are accountable for everything someone says on their station?

I'm not condoning anything done on CNN, just asking.
I guess we need to get the thread title changed to "only non hypocritical media criticism after first criticizing trump" ? 

Users who are viewing this thread