What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dante Pettis WR Giants (1 Viewer)

Why is Pettis not being discussed more? The guy was a wr1 with a backup qb the last 3-4 games he played at the end of the season unless I’m misremembering. SF has done little in the way of adding competition. It’s looking more and more like he’s the guy to own in that offense and he’s still goin for late 1st’s. Am I missing something?
People still stuck on the ancient notion of a prototype WR1 designed player being required to be a team's WR1.

Is he worth a second?
The Flanker position does the best in this offense, and Deebo is said to have the early track to that spot. I would probably trade a mid to low 2019 2nd for him, as I don't really like anyone past the mid 2nd. I would not trade a 2020 2nd for him, but then again I wouldn't go for him at all personally

Dr. Dan said:
The Flanker position does the best in this offense, and Deebo is said to have the early track to that spot. I would probably trade a mid to low 2019 2nd for him, as I don't really like anyone past the mid 2nd. I would not trade a 2020 2nd for him, but then again I wouldn't go for him at all personally
Day 2 rookies always have the inside track to a starting spot in May, because media gonna media. If I had a dollar for every time I read that a Day 2 rook was going to take a veteran's job, I wouldn't have to go to work tomorrow.

I'd trade a 2020 2nd for Pettis in five seconds and feel good doing it.

Pettis for a 2nd in any year seems like good business. Tevon Coleman and Deebo give that offense some balance and Mullins is a nice insurance policy on Jimmy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with those that find Pettis well worth a 2nd and will be trying to take advantage of those owners that are nervous because of the investments SF made in the draft at that position. IMO he is still the top talent on their depth chart and has a year under his belt which gives him further advantage. Buy low.

Day 2 rookies always have the inside track to a starting spot in May, because media gonna media. If I had a dollar for every time I read that a Day 2 rook was going to take a veteran's job, I wouldn't have to go to work tomorrow.

I'd trade a 2020 2nd for Pettis in five seconds and feel good doing it.
But Pettis isn't a flanker... he is expected to push Goodwin out this year as the starting Split End.

Do you not think this offense is capable of supporting fantasy starters at both the X and Z? Honest question.
I dont know. I haven't seen it run with Jimmy G enough to make that determination. I do think Kittle sees a drop in his production/targets because it's my opinion he was the only offensive weapon last year worth a damn so they leaned on him. Pettis has another year now and they have some good rookie wrs. I am not sure any of us know how this offense will run. Coleman's there. Hurd and Deebo. JimmyG

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention a stud te....
As a 49er fan, I'm excited about this WR group from a team standpoint.  In fantasy, not so much.  RBs will be much more involved in the passing game this year as well, with McKinnon back and adding Coleman.  Just more mouths to feed.  

Still like Kittle for fantasy.  Will be hard to duplicate the yardage, but think he adds 4-5 TDs this year.  Offense will have a lot more red zone opportunities.

Good video. Watched a lot of Pettis last season. Was generally impressed. Outside Moore I thought he was the best looking rookie receiver. Agree with what this guy saw. Gets separation at will and a lot of it. Runs good routes. More quick than fast. Can be manhandled. Very much a finesse guy. Skill set is there to be a very good WR if he can remain healthy.

NBC Sports Bay Area reports Dante Pettis "turned the right heads at 49ers minicamp last week."

"Dante’s body is maturing," Jimmy Garoppolo said. "He’s coming out of breaks with power, he has speed. It doesn’t look like he’s moving very fast but really is. ... He’s different than most guys running." Where Garoppolo praised Pettis' physical improvement, coach Kyle Shanahan noted it on the mental side. "He worked more at his routes and he came here with the idea of ‘Hey, I’m not just coming here to get better back in shape, I’m coming here to get better.’" Sophomore Pettis could emerge as the No. 1 option in the 49ers' up-for-grabs receiver corps.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Jun 17, 2019, 2:15 PM ET

The Athletic's Matt Barrows projects second-year pro Dante Pettis as the 49ers' No. 1 receiver.

The 49ers are thin on established talent in the receiver corps, creating a massive opportunity for Pettis. The 49ers showed great faith in Pettis when they traded up for him in last year's draft, and he made big plays down the stretch. Currently being taken on the WR3/4 borderline, Pettis comes with considerable upside at his early-summer ADP.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 18, 2019, 3:07 PM ET

I'm really high on him.  I think he'll make some strides this year and be solid in redraft, but I'm buying everywhere I can in dynasty.  

Just saying, when he came back healthy from the 49ers bye week (weeks 12-17)  he averaged 15.9 points a game which put him at WR13 in ppr.
The question to answer there is: was he good because he's an emerging star or becauses the team was so depleted at skill positions that he got targets by default? Somewhere in between?

Ilov80s said:
The question to answer there is: was he good because he's an emerging star or becauses the team was so depleted at skill positions that he got targets by default? Somewhere in between?
I mean, regardless, his competition for catches hasn't really changed.  

Kittle was there during his best stretch.  Early reports suggest Pettis will likely be the #1 receiver.

He didn't have his starting QB.

Ilov80s said:
That may be the case, but he put up those numbers with 7, 7, 7, 5, and 5 targets.  He was really quite efficient (21 rec 359yds 4td 31targets) over the five games, two of which were against Seattle.  I have no idea if he can duplicate these numbers over an extended period, but factoring in he was a second round pick that they traded up for, and he put up those numbers when opportunity presented itself... he's certainly interesting.

Kittle was there during his best stretch.  Early reports suggest Pettis will likely be the #1 receiver.

Goodwin might be healthy but the biggest threat would be from Deebo who they drafted even higher than Pettis. 

Goodwin might be healthy but the biggest threat would be from Deebo who they drafted even higher than Pettis. 
I feel like people put too much stock in the new shiny toys (rookies). There is a lot to go into Shanahans offense and Pettis has a year under his belt of understanding it. I think Pettis is more talented than Deebo to begin with and would be shocked if he did not out target all other receivers by at least 25 targets.

That's what us Pettis owners are excited about. If Jimmy is actually good - not Matt Cassell 2.0, Pettis will be a decent wr3 at worst. Probably a decent wr2.

Every draft is different though.
Every draft is different but it’s just a fact that Deebo was taken at a higher draft. It doesn’t mean he’s better or the team likes him more. It just means the team likes him and thinks he can make an immediate impact. He might be a total bust but it’s logical to expect him to challenge Petis for targets.

I think Jimmy G is a good enough QB to have several weekly fantasy starters at WR. Pettis and Deebo could both have nice years and I'm cheering for them both (well, cheering for Campbell more than Deebo since I drafted him over Deebo in every league ;)

Every draft is different but it’s just a fact that Deebo was taken at a higher draft. It doesn’t mean he’s better or the team likes him more. It just means the team likes him and thinks he can make an immediate impact. He might be a total bust but it’s logical to expect him to challenge Petis for targets.
I don't read a lot into it.  I think the picks fell how they fell.  I don't think being picked at 36th means they like Deebo better than Pettis.  I think they wanted a wide receiver because they're thin at the position and that's where their pick was.  

Pettis showed a lot last year despite being in a suboptimal situation.  All the off-season fluff pieces suggest he's made big strides, and the 49ers expect him to be much improved.  I've seen enough rookie receivers do nothing to trust a 2nd year who showed me something over a rookie.  

The cool thing about the niner's situation is they have no solidified WR1 (unless you count Kittle). So there is no one there that can demand x amount of targets. They're all competing for that spot and I guess a good chance the WR group mirrors their RB group which is wtf knows who is going to get the most touches or if they'll just all vulture each other.

The cool thing about the niner's situation is they have no solidified WR1 (unless you count Kittle). So there is no one there that can demand x amount of targets. They're all competing for that spot and I guess a good chance the WR group mirrors their RB group which is wtf knows who is going to get the most touches or if they'll just all vulture each other.
You’re on the right track, but it comes down to who is on the field. The offense can and will move the ball and score points. Whatever guys they plug in will score some points imo. Who’s healthy, and who’s playing snaps. 

I don't read a lot into it.  I think the picks fell how they fell.  I don't think being picked at 36th means they like Deebo better than Pettis.  I think they wanted a wide receiver because they're thin at the position and that's where their pick was.  

Pettis showed a lot last year despite being in a suboptimal situation.  All the off-season fluff pieces suggest he's made big strides, and the 49ers expect him to be much improved.  I've seen enough rookie receivers do nothing to trust a 2nd year who showed me something over a rookie.  
I don’t think it means they like Deebo more either. The origin of this was me saying Pettis might have more competition for targets. 

I don’t think it means they like Deebo more either. The origin of this was me saying Pettis might have more competition for targets. 
I get this if they had just traded for OBJ or Antonio brown, but I'll take Jimmy G and deebo as teammates on the field over what they had going on last year.

That may be the case, but he put up those numbers with 7, 7, 7, 5, and 5 targets.  He was really quite efficient (21 rec 359yds 4td 31targets) over the five games, two of which were against Seattle.  I have no idea if he can duplicate these numbers over an extended period, but factoring in he was a second round pick that they traded up for, and he put up those numbers when opportunity presented itself... he's certainly interesting.
His TD rate was unsustainable but hopefully he gets more volume. The interesting part is that the 49ers just weren’t throwing the call much to WRs those games. So while his WR totals were low, they represented a very large share of WR targets.

Weeks 12-15 were the weeks he was hot. He got 26 targets in those 4 games. All other 49ers WRs got 29 targets during those games. There’s plenty of room for other WRs to cut into his share.

I get this if they had just traded for OBJ or Antonio brown, but I'll take Jimmy G and deebo as teammates on the field over what they had going on last year.
It’s exciting and he’s going around WR33 in redraft which is a very fair price. I just think we need to be careful looking at that small sample size where Pettis received about 50% of the WR targets and had an unsustainable TD rate.

I think it's noteworthy what the 9ers gave up to move up for Pettis.  I'm sure there was some anxiety 4 picks out on day 2 waiting for Deebo, but the 3 picked in front of him were all thought to be day 1 players.  Just spit balling, but certainly could have had a fall back plan teed up too.  But regardless, I wouldn't read into either one.  

This team is built to throw, often.  Their RB's aren't really that good running the ball.  They're better catch and runner's relative to other backs than they are runner's.  And while the defense has more talent there are still holes, so the ingredients are there for high scoring games.  There's going to be some cannibalization at WR, so follow the snap counts.  But if this team throws as much as I think they will then I think there may be room for 2 WR's (plus Kittle) to emerge as at worst WR3 starts with big day potential fairly quickly.  There's absolutely no reason to expect Goodwin to stay in one piece, so even if Deebo is a quick learn I think there's room for both him and Pettis.  If he isn't I'm not too concerned with Matthews, Taylor, James, Bourne, etc. replacing those targets.  The biggest threat they are would be suppressing the snap counts of the starters.

I think it's noteworthy what the 9ers gave up to move up for Pettis.  I'm sure there was some anxiety 4 picks out on day 2 waiting for Deebo, but the 3 picked in front of him were all thought to be day 1 players.  Just spit balling, but certainly could have had a fall back plan teed up too.  But regardless, I wouldn't read into either one.  

This team is built to throw, often.  Their RB's aren't really that good running the ball.  They're better catch and runner's relative to other backs than they are runner's.  And while the defense has more talent there are still holes, so the ingredients are there for high scoring games.  There's going to be some cannibalization at WR, so follow the snap counts.  But if this team throws as much as I think they will then I think there may be room for 2 WR's (plus Kittle) to emerge as at worst WR3 starts with big day potential fairly quickly.  There's absolutely no reason to expect Goodwin to stay in one piece, so even if Deebo is a quick learn I think there's room for both him and Pettis.  If he isn't I'm not too concerned with Matthews, Taylor, James, Bourne, etc. replacing those targets.  The biggest threat they are would be suppressing the snap counts of the starters.
I agree. I like Pettis and am targeting him at his current ADP. I just don’t think we know much of anything about how good he is or isn’t yet and this is all a move on opportunity and small sample similar to Jimmy G.

Users who are viewing this thread