What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 FBG Subscriber Contest (6 Viewers)

Roethlisberger / Mahomes

Zeke / David Johnson / McCaffrey / Barber / Conner / J Hill

Landry / Goodwin / Cole / Gallup / John Brown / G Allison / J Washington / Cordarelle P / Trequan Smith / P Dorsett

Hooper / Seals-Jones / Goedert / R Griffin

Butker / Lambo / Fairbairn

JAX / CHI

Enjoyed reading everyone's rationales, but won't bore you with mine. Good luck all.

Roethlisberger / Mahomes

Zeke / David Johnson / McCaffrey / Barber / Conner / J Hill

Landry / Goodwin / Cole / Gallup / John Brown / G Allison / J Washington / Cordarelle P / Trequan Smith / P Dorsett

Hooper / Seals-Jones / Goedert / R Griffin

Butker / Lambo / Fairbairn

JAX / CHI

Enjoyed reading everyone's rationales, but won't bore you with mine. Good luck all.
I have to admire your taste in RBs (says the guy with Zeke / David Johnson / McCaffrey / Barber / Conner)

Is there still a list of players and their costs? I don't think I ever had a $9 QB. I had trubisky at 7, remember bottles at 8, a bunch at 10 and 11 are solid but I don't remember seeing a QB under 10 I felt had near the upside and safety of the Flacco/Lamar combo. 

Flacco might struggle again, then I suspect we'll see Lamar before too long. Lamar might throw a bunch of interceptions but can run with the best of them. 

Really I wanted Lamar for his upside. He probably won't be Watson but few thought Watson would be Watson. My only concern was that Lamar isn't starting yet. Flacco solves that, and between the two you have some injury protection. 

ETA- I totally get avoiding the situation. I get taking Flacco without Lamar. But I wasn't going to take Lamar without Flacco and I wanted Lamar.
Taking Flacco and Lamar makes sense if you think "BAL QB" will be valuable, regardless of which one suits up.  Taking Flacco just because you want Lamar doesn't make a ton of sense to me - sure, you need someone to produce points for you at QB while Lamar isn't starting, but that someone doesn't have to be Flacco.  

Originally had 30 players but ultimately settled on 27

Drew Brees $18; Mitchell Trubisky $7; Sam Darnold $3

One stud, one low-cost potential Leap candidate, and a super-cheap in case of emergency QB floor setter.

Christian McCaffrey $26; Mark Ingram $20; Carlos Hyde $14; Chris Carson $11; Peyton Barber $8; Matt Breida $8; James Conner $4

I (like probably many others) went all in with the suspended player gambit.  I guess I'm fading a bunch of the rookie RBs with Hyde/Carson/Barber.  I assume Conner is chalk.

Stefon Diggs $22; Julian Edelman $17; Marquise Goodwin $13; Keelan Cole $7; Michael Gallup $6;  John Ross $5; Taywan Taylor $4 ; Brandon Marshall $3  Phillip Dorsett $2

Mostly a quantity play here.  Looking for a Diggs leap with Cousins, I imagine the rest of these guys will all be pretty highly owned.

Trey Burton $14; David Njoku $12; Antonio Gates $6; Dallas Goedert $4

Wanted to take a top notch guy here, but I think Burton and Njoku can piece together close to the same production with less risk.  Late pivot to Gates.  Hoping for a "rookie Gronk" type year from Goedert

Wil Lutz $5; Robbie Gould $4

Chicago Bears $5; Cleveland Browns $2

Normally go 3 Ks and 3 DSTs so this might come back to bite me, but I wanted more RBs and WRs this year

I locked in my core group of players pretty quickly this year, focusing on earlier bye weeks and week 14-16 matchups. Really liked McCaffrey, Howard (RB), Thomas, Adams, Howard (TE) to start. I had Luck set at QB but pivoted to Wilson at the last minute and also switched from Cole to Moncrief. The TE group is where I decided to save money as there are so many injuries and concussions every season at this position. Jags D was pricey but they have one of the easiest schedules and should be the top D again this season. Overall I set this team up to have a shot if it can make it past week 7. 

Russell Wilson        $24      
Mitchell Trubisky      $7      
Nick Foles             $3                                                        
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christian McCaffrey   $26      
Jordan Howard         $25      
Marshawn Lynch        $15      
Kerryon Johnson       $15      
Matt Breida            $8      
James Conner           $4      
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Thomas        $31      
Davante Adams         $29      
Michael Gallup         $6                                 
John Ross              $5      
Donte Moncrief         $5      
Brandon Marshall       $3      
O.J. Howard           $11      
Ricky Seals-Jones      $7                           
Jesse James            $3                                                                      
Jacob Hollister        $3      
Stephen Gostkowski     $6      
Kaimi Fairbairn        $2                    
Jacksonville Jaguars  $10      
Miami Dolphins         $2   

Originally had 30 players but ultimately settled on 27

Drew Brees $18; Mitchell Trubisky $7; Sam Darnold $3

One stud, one low-cost potential Leap candidate, and a super-cheap in case of emergency QB floor setter.

Christian McCaffrey $26; Mark Ingram $20; Carlos Hyde $14; Chris Carson $11; Peyton Barber $8; Matt Breida $8; James Conner $4

I (like probably many others) went all in with the suspended player gambit.  I guess I'm fading a bunch of the rookie RBs with Hyde/Carson/Barber.  I assume Conner is chalk.

Stefon Diggs $22; Julian Edelman $17; Marquise Goodwin $13; Keelan Cole $7; Michael Gallup $6;  John Ross $5; Taywan Taylor $4 ; Brandon Marshall $3  Phillip Dorsett $2

Mostly a quantity play here.  Looking for a Diggs leap with Cousins, I imagine the rest of these guys will all be pretty highly owned.

Trey Burton $14; David Njoku $12; Antonio Gates $6; Dallas Goedert $4

Wanted to take a top notch guy here, but I think Burton and Njoku can piece together close to the same production with less risk.  Late pivot to Gates.  Hoping for a "rookie Gronk" type year from Goedert

Wil Lutz $5; Robbie Gould $4

Chicago Bears $5; Cleveland Browns $2

Normally go 3 Ks and 3 DSTs so this might come back to bite me, but I wanted more RBs and WRs this year
Spotting $37 to the field at the beginning of the season is going to be a tough hill to climb.  It's like giving every other team a Gurley or Brown head start.

I locked in my core group of players pretty quickly this year, focusing on earlier bye weeks and week 14-16 matchups. Really liked McCaffrey, Howard (RB), Thomas, Adams, Howard (TE) to start. I had Luck set at QB but pivoted to Wilson at the last minute and also switched from Cole to Moncrief. The TE group is where I decided to save money as there are so many injuries and concussions every season at this position. Jags D was pricey but they have one of the easiest schedules and should be the top D again this season. Overall I set this team up to have a shot if it can make it past week 7. 

Russell Wilson        $24      
Mitchell Trubisky      $7      
Nick Foles             $3                                                        
Jordan Howard         $25      
Marshawn Lynch        $15      
Kerryon Johnson       $15      
Michael Thomas        $31      
Davante Adams         $29      
Donte Moncrief         $5      
Brandon Marshall       $3      
O.J. Howard           $11      
Jesse James            $3                                                                      
Jacob Hollister        $3      
Stephen Gostkowski     $6      
Kaimi Fairbairn        $2                    
Jacksonville Jaguars  $10      
I have my doubts about saving money at the position where you get the best point production per $ spent.

Some quick ownership stats on some heavily owned players.

15115 Total Teams

Keelan Cole: 5514 teams

Royce Freeman: 5303 teams

Marquis Goodwin: 5547 teams

Christian McCaffrey: 4293 teams

James Conner: 5417 teams

Peyton Barber: 6216 teams

Patrick Mahomes: 4243 teams
I only have one of those guys.  Don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Don't forget to throw something @Steelerway for calcomatic. Great tool comes in handy to have live scoring.

Spotting $37 to the field at the beginning of the season is going to be a tough hill to climb.  It's like giving every other team a Gurley or Brown head start.
Or Le'veon Bell :)

You might be right, but 1) It's not like I left $37 on the table with an 18-man roster.  2)  there's so many junk entries that get churned out the first four weeks I'm willing to take that risk.  Plus half the time, Week 1 is a total walkover.  Not sure what the final entry count was this year.

I have my doubts about saving money at the position where you get the best point production per $ spent.
Yes my gamble is that some of top TEs will miss games. It is the best point production per $ spent, but also the most injuries per $ spent. 

Or Le'veon Bell :)

You might be right, but 1) It's not like I left $37 on the table with an 18-man roster.  2)  there's so many junk entries that get churned out the first four weeks I'm willing to take that risk.  Plus half the time, Week 1 is a total walkover.  Not sure what the final entry count was this year.
Over 15,000 entries this year.  That probably means all the junk entries plus some serious ones go out Week 1.  Weeks 2-4 will be getting into serious cuts.

OK, time for my annual request:  PLEASE don't just list your roster.  After a few dozen of those long lists, my eyes cross and I stop reading.  If you want to generate discussion, instead give at least a little of your reasoning.  Here's mine:

QB - Jared Goff - LAR/12 - $11
QB - Andy Dalton - CIN/9 - $6
QB - Ryan Tannehill - MIA/11 - $6

Like I said earlier, the midlevel QBs are such a bargain this year, I can't see paying more.  According to the Draft Dominator projections, these 3 will be within 1 or 2 ppw of Rodgers (and actually outscore him some weeks) and collectively cost less than him.  Each is nearly 100% sure of being the starter all year barring injury, and each has the potential for a 4 TD week at any time.  Going cheap saves money for RB & TE.

RB - Ezekiel Elliott - DAL/8 - $35
RB - David Johnson - ARI/9 - $34
RB - Christian McCaffrey - CAR/4 - $26
RB - Peyton Barber - TB/5 - $8
RB - James Conner - PIT/7 - $4

Big $$ on RB.  There's been a lot of discussion about whether the drop to .5 ppr for RBs devalues them, but a combo of Goff and Zeke still projects to more points than an equally priced combo of a higher priced QB and a midlevel RB.  Originally I had Cook instead of CMC, but the week 4 bye was much better than a week 10 bye.  When Freeman was named the starter in Denver, I actually switched to him and tried upgrading my #3 TE to Burton, but didn't like the way the roster looked as much as I like this one, partly because I couldn't convince myself of what Freeman's ultimate value would be.  If he turns into a reincarnation of Zeke's or Kamara's rookie seasons, I'll be sorry.  If not, maybe zigging instead of zagging was the right thing to do . If Barber can hold onto the starting position, he'll be cheap gold.  I've had Conner in there from my earliest teams, thinking he'll be good for at least an occasional TD.  With Bell playing his reporting game, he'll be worth even more early in the season and who knows what happens later.  Unfortunately, that news also resulted in him being on nearly everyone's roster.

WR - Marquise Goodwin - SF/11 - $13
WR - Kenny Stills - MIA/11 - $11
WR - Keelan Cole - JAX/9 - $7
WR - Michael Gallup - DAL/8 - $6
WR - John Brown - BAL/10 - $6
WR - Dede Westbrook - JAX/9 - $5
WR - John Ross - CIN/9 - $5
WR - Taywan Taylor - TEN/8 - $4
WR - Jaron Brown - SEA/7 - $3

Quantity over quality at WR.  9 guys who are capable of a big week or two (or hopefully more).  Some potential risks: Week 11 with my two  "big guns" (hey, it's a relative term) on bye, but I have 7 other WRs to pick up the slack, plus all my RBs and TEs are active that week, so hopefully I won't need a flex from the WR spot.  Week 9 has 3 guys on bye, but with the top 2 and 4 others available, it should be survivable.  The week 9 and 11 guys just seemed to have so much value I couldn't pass them up, so I decided to run the risk...besides, with 6 teams on bye those 2 weeks, I'm guessing everyone will have some kind of bye issues, so maybe scores will be low all around.  The bargains were so obvious that the same guys keep showing up on a ton of rosters, but that's OK--I'm perfectly willing to have the same WR production as everyone else and depend on my RBs to be the difference makers.

TE - Travis Kelce - KC/12 - $25
TE - Jared Cook - OAK/7 - $8
TE - Austin Hooper - ATL/8 - $8
TE - Dallas Goedert - PHI/9 - $4

One big gun, two midlevels and the cheap flyer.  Went back and forth between Goedert and Vannett for the final spot. Vannett's bye week is better and he's $1 cheaper and I think both have similar floors and likely output.  But, Goedert has a way higher ceiling if Ertz gets hurt, so I went that way. Kelce/Goff sharing the week 12 bye makes me a little nervous, but both are covered pretty well in their positions and all my RBs and WRs are active that week, so I can get my flex scores there.

PK - Dustin Hopkins - WAS/4 - $3
PK - Kaimi Fairbairn - HOU/10 - $2
PK - Cody Parkey - CHI/5 - $2

TD - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TB/5 - $3
TD - Cincinnati Bengals - CIN/9 - $3
TD - Cleveland Browns - CLE/11 - $2

Meh, 3 cheap kickers and 3 cheap defenses with bye weeks spread around (other than the early week 5, I'll have at least 5 of the 6 active every week).  I almost went with a Bears/Cards combo at D, but I tried 2 defenses one year and it didn't work out well, so I stuck with 3. I tried to squeeze in Bears/Cards/Browns, but it would have meant cutting a WR, which I didn't want to do with  the bye week issues.
Nice QBs! ;)  I had that combo at one point.
I see you took the opposite approach I did with JAX WRs. 9 is a lot of WRs so you definitely didn't need to spend big on anyone. The bottom 4 scare me a bit. I only have a single $5 WR, but felt like there were some better gambles down in that range I'd have grabbed if I could have a larger roster. Chad Williams ($3) is a guy I would've liked to have had.
I'd have broken Kelce up into 2-3 TEs. Partially bc I don't trust Mahommes yet and partially bc I prefer quantity over quality in best ball.
Always been a fan of the 3/3 approach.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

QB - Jared Goff - LAR/12 - $11
QB - Eli Manning - NYG/9 - $7
QB - Ryan Tannehill - MIA/11 - $6
QB - Sam Darnold - NYJ/11 - $3

I'm usually a 3QB guy, but couldn't pass up Darnold for $3. Even without Darnold, at one point I was tempted by the 4-combo of Trubisky, Eli, Dalton, and Tannehill. In the end, I put a little faith in the Gase offense to eclipse the value of Dalton and Cincy.
I hated spending the extra money on Goff with all the value at QB, but if he takes a step in his 2nd year under McVay I'd really regret not having him. I think the 2nd year jump could be huge and that Cooks >> Sammy.
I'm not an Eli fan, but Shurmur and all those weapons (OBJ, Shepard, Engram, Barkley) have to equate to a few huge weeks.

RB - Royce Freeman - DEN/10 - $16
RB - Jamaal Williams - GB/7 - $15
RB - Marshawn Lynch - OAK/7 - $15
RB - Matt Breida - SF/11 - $8
RB - Bilal Powell - NYJ/11 - $7
RB - Samaje Perine - WAS/4 - $4

I feel really good about Royce, Jamaal, and Lynch. Couldn't pass up the value in Perine, as I think he'll eventually overtake AP as he improves in his 2nd year in the league. I don't play for the early weeks in this contest anyway.
I had Crowell but switched to Powell after he got the nod with the 1st team in the preseason. Even if Crowell is the lead back, Powell is always the garbage time guy and this should lead to some big games. For $7 savings, I felt like I had to make the move.
Barber and Breida scare me. They could both lose their jobs before the important weeks of this contest, but if they don't then they'll be huge value.

WR - Marvin Jones - DET/6 - $20
WR - Josh Gordon - CLE/11 - $18
WR - Corey Davis - TEN/8 - $15
WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/7 - $9
WR - Chris Godwin - TB/5 - $6
WR - Donte Moncrief - JAX/9 - $5

I spent more money at the top of WR than usual (still no top 20 guy, tho). Every one of these guys is the big play guy for their team, IMO. I don't expect consistency from any of them, but I do expect at least 2 big games a week out of these 7. I don't know why Moncrief isn't getting more love. Keelan Cole is not a big play WR. Moncrief is starting. He may not get Cole's volume, but he should have some big weeks which is all I'm looking for at $5. I really wanted to find a way to get Woods, Moore, or Stills on this team, but just couldn't do it.

TE - David Njoku - CLE/11 - $12
TE - George Kittle - SF/11 - $12
TE - O.J. Howard - TB/5 - $11
TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/9 - $9
TE - Austin Hooper - ATL/8 - $8
TE - Nick Vannett - SEA/7 - $3

Njoku is my big play TE. I don't like SF's WRs, so I'm hoping Kittle pulls in a lot of volume. Howard was a TD machine last year on low volume, hopefully that continues. Eifert is huge when healthy, but he's the type of gamble I feel must be taken to win this thing. Vannett was only selected to help cover my week 11 bye issue. Hooper 3rd year breakout? I dunno, but I liked him as a prospect and the opportunity is ripe.

PK - Robbie Gould - SF/11 - $4
PK - Josh Lambo - JAX/9 - $3
PK - Caleb Sturgis - LAC/8 - $3
TD - Oakland Raiders - OAK/7 - $2
TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/9 - $2

3/3 with minimal investment is my usual combo. I considered CIN as my 4th D, but went with Vannett instead. After finding myself short handed at K in past years, I spent a little extra $ for job security.

Overall, week 11 is going to be my huge hurdle. Missing 2 low-end QBs, 2 low-end RBs, my 2 top TEs, Josh Gordon, 1 K, and 1 D. So 9 guys, but just as importantly $72. Hopefully the 30 man roster can handle being that short handed so late in the contest. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Final roster with commentary

Yesterday, i added Connor like everyone else... took $9 Lockett and got Connor, Brandon Marshall, and the extra 2 bucks upgraded my qb3...

Spent 34 at qb, two solid durable vets, and Flacco was left over money in case either Stafford or Ben is hurt on a bye week.  Before this week i had 4 qbs bargain bin, but changed my mind

QB - Matthew Stafford - DET/6 - $15

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - PIT/7 - $14

Qb Flacco $5. Wk9

At rb spent 87

Big 3 at rb, and my two favorite "table scraps" bargain rb

RB - Leonard Fournette - JAX/9 - $29

RB - Jordan Howard - CHI/5 - $25

Rb Connor Pit 5$

Rb Jeremy hill $3.  -- hard to pass up especially with other patriot rb injury concerns

$90 for 9 wr, but got a stud

Debated two stud wr, ended up with one, and turned M Thomas into 4 other dart wr candidates. 

WR - Davante Adams - GB/7 - $29

WR - Kenny Golladay - DET/6 - $11

WR - Mike Williams - LAC/8 - $9

WR - Tyrell Williams - LAC/8 - $8

WR - Mohamed Sanu - ATL/8 - $7

WR - Donte Moncrief - JAX/9 - $5

Wr Brandon Marshall $3

For $19, Went cheap at TE... after getting burned in recent years on expensive te who get injured... olson,reed gronk! Grrrr!!

TE - Ben Watson - NO/6 - $8

TE - Vernon Davis - WAS/4 - $7

TE - Dallas Goedert - PHI/9 - $4

My best value kickers at each price point WITH mostly early byes. Like Lambo and Gould but ro late bye weeks.  Bears kicker at $2 should be a steal. I actually took Prater over Lutz for same price bc saints have same bye as bears

PK - Matt Prater - DET/6 - $5

PK - Dustin Hopkins - WAS/4 - $3

PK - Cody Parkey - CHI/5 - $2

Defense i had the DT but committee combo of Steelers Pats, but after the trade went with bears and browns are best $2 option. 

TD - Chicago Bears - CHI/5 - $5

mahomes lower owned than i thought.  i guess the late bye week plus the unknown had a lot of people off of him?  he just easily seems like the most likely qb to go all jameis and win this contest for you in the playoffs imo.

Linky to my entry - happy I got an easy number to remember

QB - Matthew Stafford - DET/6 - $15

QB - Philip Rivers - LAC/8 - $13

RB - Ezekiel Elliott - DAL/8 - $35

RB - John Kelly - LAR/12 - $3

RB - Jeremy Hill - NE/11 - $3

WR - Marvin Jones - DET/6 - $20

WR - Michael Gallup - DAL/8 - $6

WR - Dede Westbrook - JAX/9 - $5

WR - Chad Williams - ARI/9 - $3

WR - Phillip Dorsett - NE/11 - $2

TE - Trey Burton - CHI/5 - $14

TE - David Njoku - CLE/11 - $12

TE - Ricky Seals-Jones - ARI/9 - $7

TE - Nick Vannett - SEA/7 - $3

PK - Harrison Butker - KC/12 - $4

PK - Josh Lambo - JAX/9 - $3

PK - Kaimi Fairbairn - HOU/10 - $2

TD - New York Jets - NYJ/11 - $3

TD - Cincinnati Bengals - CIN/9 - $3

TD - Oakland Raiders - OAK/7 - $2

Will do real breakdown later :)

-QG

QB - Patrick Mahomes II - KC/12 - $11
QB - Jameis Winston - TB/5 - $10
RB - Devonta Freeman - ATL/8 - $25
RB - Jordan Howard - CHI/5 - $25
RB - Joe Mixon - CIN/9 - $24
WR - Kelvin Benjamin - BUF/11 - $11
WR - Kenny Stills - MIA/11 - $11
WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/7 - $9
WR - Keelan Cole - JAX/9 - $7
WR - Quincy Enunwa - NYJ/11 - $6
WR - Phillip Dorsett - NE/11 - $2
TE - Trey Burton - CHI/5 - $14
TE - Jack Doyle - IND/9 - $14
TE - Mike Gesicki - MIA/11 - $6
PK - Zane Gonzalez - CLE/11 - $2
PK - Aldrick Rosas - NYG/9 - $2
TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/9 - $2

Matt Ryan  $13

Mahomes $11

Winston $10

I believe Ryan will have a better year. Not a career year...but more like 28 TDs instead of the 20 he had last year. Mahomes I like for huge weeks here and there. Winston is a big reach, but after his suspension and bye week I think he will be ready to roll.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zeke  $35

McCaffrey  $26

Royce Freeman $16

Clement  $10

I'm not worried about Dallas OL. I'm not worried about defense stacking the box. Lots of people have the other three for obvious reasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diggs  $22

Marquis Goodwin  $13

Cole  $7

Gallup  $6

Amendola  $6

Chris Godwin $6

Geronimo  $6

John Ross $6

Dorsett  $2

Shotgun approach at WR just like others. I think Allison overtakes Cobb for WR2 in Green Bay, one way or the other. Cousins seems to favor Diggs over Theilan so far, plus I already liked him at the price point. Thought about adding Patterson (NE) but I decided to go with Griffin (TE) instead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burton  $14

Njoku  $12

OJ Howard $11

Griffin  $3

Burton and Njoku are pretty heavily owned. I think OJ separates himself from Brate a bit this year. Griffin is a cheap dart throw as a safety outlet in Houston. I didn't like any TE priced higher than Burton, other than Gronk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fairburn  $2

Rosas   $2

Parkey  $2

3 cheap kickers, as always...hopefully at least 2 keep their jobs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears $5

Steelers $5

Added Bears after the Mack trade. Seemed like a no brainer with the early bye. Always had the Steelers.

went for max picks

Alex Smith            $12       
Patrick Mahomes II    $11                                 
Joe Flacco             $5                                    
Sam Darnold            $3                           
Leonard Fournette     $29                                                
Royce Freeman         $16                                          
Peyton Barber          $8                                                                    
Wayne Gallman          $4                                                       
John Kelly             $3                             
Stefon Diggs          $22                                                
Chris Hogan           $17                                   
Marquise Goodwin      $13                                          
Chris Godwin           $6                                             
John Brown             $6                    
Quincy Enunwa          $6                            
Ryan Grant             $4                                       
Phillip Dorsett        $2      
Trey Burton           $14      
Antonio Gates          $6                                    
Caleb Sturgis          $3                                    
Dustin Hopkins         $3                                      
Adam Vinatieri         $3                                  
Randy Bullock          $3                                  
Atlanta Falcons        $4                                    
Washington Redskins    $3                                                    
Cleveland Browns       $2    

3 QB @ $24 - Stafford, Dalton, Darnold
Stafford is a yearly top scoring QB w/ a relatively early BYE week. I think Dalton is due for a big bounce back year, and Darnold is just too cheap to not roster to have an additional QB for points during the BYE weeks

6 RB @ $95 - DJ, CMC, Drake, Powell, Conner, Kelly
Hoping for a big return from DJ. Like many, I like the early BYE for CMC. Drake looked awesome down the stretch last year, don't really like the late BYE and doubling up w/ Powell, but oh well. Conner for obv reasons w/ the Bell situation, and Kelly if something tragic happens to Gurley, which I hope doesnt since I have him on a contending dyno team

6 WR @ $53 - Agholor, Fuller, Goodwin, Gallup, Ross, Smith (NOS)
Agholor and Goodwin have been in my lineup the entire time. I thought about Hogan and Fitz and others, but I couldn't really get a lineup I liked a lot. Fuller, Ross can take the tops off the D. Just need a long TD to be a top score for the week. Gallup has looked fantastic so far in the preseason and the DAL WRs are meh. TreQuan was a bargain considering he could be 3rd on the pecking order for targets in New Orleans

3 TE @ $55 - Gronk, Kelce, Goedert
Went big on TE. The cost of Gronk/Kelce compared to the other elite players just seemed like smart money considering the points they can put up. Goedert seemed like an easy pickup and I think could put up some decent points, especially if something were to happen to Ertz

3 K @ $10 - Gould, Lambo, Janikowski
They're kickers

4 DST @ $13 - CHI, DAL, NYJ, CLE
I originally had NOS in here over DAL and NYJ but thought I'd go that route instead.

I'll be holding my breath if I can make it to week 9 and week 11 w/ the following on BYE
W9 w/ Dalton, DJ, Agholor, Ross, Goedert, Lambo
W11 w/ Darnold, Drake, Powell, Goodwin, Gronk, Gould, NYJ, CLE

Went Full Roster, lots of dart throws at Wr

Philip Rivers $13 

Patrick MahomesII $11 

Andy Dalton$6  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Todd Gurley$37 

Leonard Fournette$29 

Peyton Barber$8 

T.J. Yeldon$7 

Frank Gore$6 

James Conner$4

John Kelly$3 

Jeremy Hill$3  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Josh Gordon$18 

Keelan Cole$7 

Danny Amendola$6 

Chris Godwin$6

John Brown$6 

Geronimo Allison$6

Courtland Sutton$5 

Taywan Taylor$4 

Cordarrelle Patterson$3 

TreQuan Smith$3 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zach Ertz$23 e

Dallas Goedert$4

Blake Jarwin$3 

Nick Vannett$3 

Geoff Swaim$3  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justin Tucker$6 

Cody Parkey$2  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacksonville Jaguars $10 

Chicago Bears $5 

mahomes lower owned than i thought.  i guess the late bye week plus the unknown had a lot of people off of him?  he just easily seems like the most likely qb to go all jameis and win this contest for you in the playoffs imo.
$11 seems high for a guy that's played one more NFL game than Darnold.  For $11 you could have Goff and know what you are getting or Flacco/Dalton and get more production for the same price.

3 QB @ $24 - Stafford, Dalton, Darnold
Stafford is a yearly top scoring QB w/ a relatively early BYE week. I think Dalton is due for a big bounce back year, and Darnold is just too cheap to not roster to have an additional QB for points during the BYE weeks

6 RB @ $95 - DJ, CMC, Drake, Powell, Conner, Kelly
Hoping for a big return from DJ. Like many, I like the early BYE for CMC. Drake looked awesome down the stretch last year, don't really like the late BYE and doubling up w/ Powell, but oh well. Conner for obv reasons w/ the Bell situation, and Kelly if something tragic happens to Gurley, which I hope doesnt since I have him on a contending dyno team

6 WR @ $53 - Agholor, Fuller, Goodwin, Gallup, Ross, Smith (NOS)
Agholor and Goodwin have been in my lineup the entire time. I thought about Hogan and Fitz and others, but I couldn't really get a lineup I liked a lot. Fuller, Ross can take the tops off the D. Just need a long TD to be a top score for the week. Gallup has looked fantastic so far in the preseason and the DAL WRs are meh. TreQuan was a bargain considering he could be 3rd on the pecking order for targets in New Orleans

3 TE @ $55 - Gronk, Kelce, Goedert
Went big on TE. The cost of Gronk/Kelce compared to the other elite players just seemed like smart money considering the points they can put up. Goedert seemed like an easy pickup and I think could put up some decent points, especially if something were to happen to Ertz

3 K @ $10 - Gould, Lambo, Janikowski
They're kickers

4 DST @ $13 - CHI, DAL, NYJ, CLE
I originally had NOS in here over DAL and NYJ but thought I'd go that route instead.

I'll be holding my breath if I can make it to week 9 and week 11 w/ the following on BYE
W9 w/ Dalton, DJ, Agholor, Ross, Goedert, Lambo
W11 w/ Darnold, Drake, Powell, Goodwin, Gronk, Gould, NYJ, CLE
Like what you did here.  

$11 seems high for a guy that's played one more NFL game than Darnold.  For $11 you could have Goff and know what you are getting or Flacco/Dalton and get more production for the same price.
We'll see.

Agreed completely that Mahomes is a risk. But I couldn't give up the Hill/Mahomes combo. Neither could 1,183 others. 

It's probably not, but that seems like it should be among the most owned combos that I can remember. 

umm...wow  :unsure:
Risky, but only looking for 5-50yd for 10 to 15 points out of a single TE each week. 

After the top 2 to 3 te, everyone is just a 50 catch 600 yard 5 td player with some slight variance.  I could be wrong in 2018, but didn't want to spend double digit $$ on a 50-500-5 guy 

Other TE i had considered were Seals-Jones and Eifert but went with Davis and Watson for the early byes.

Want to be full strength in weeks 10+ when i usually get bounced

Like what you did here.  
Thanks! Hopefully it works out. I think the furthest I've lasted is week 10 a couple years back.

Ready to attempt going back to back. Not sure how I feel about my team,  but I felt the same last year and it turned out alright by winning it all. 

I'll probably get knocked out early this year though. Haha

Good luck gents.
Congrats on winning it all last year!

$7 Cole - 36.48%
$5 Westbrook - 7.48%
$5 Moncrief - 3.54%

:popcorn:  Will be interesting to watch how this situation plays out.
I switched from Cole to Moncrief at the last minute because it seemed like Cole would be one of the highest owned players. The Jags have an easy schedule so at least one of these guys is going to pan out. 

Congrats.  Now, show us your rooster.
Matthew Stafford      $15                                                                      
Jimmy Garoppolo       $12                                                                                                
Patrick Mahomes II    $11                                                                                         
Kareem Hunt           $29                                                                                             
Kenyan Drake          $21                                                                                                      
Royce Freeman         $16                                                                                                          
Peyton Barber          $8                                                                                                     
Keenan Allen          $30                                                                                                  
Stefon Diggs          $22                                                                                                 
Marquise Goodwin      $13                                                                                                 
Anthony Miller         $7                                                                                   
TreQuan Smith          $3                                                                                                
Evan Engram           $19                                                                                                     
George Kittle         $12                                                                                                  
Blake Jarwin           $3                                                                                                      
Daniel Carlson         $3                                                                                               
Adam Vinatieri         $3                                                                                                
Dallas Cowboys         $3                                                                                                  

Team breakdowns

18- 4051

19- 1741

20- 1390

21- 1189

22- 1104

23- 1008

24- 895

25- 785

26- 670

27- 562

28- 470

29- 440

30- 810

Once again 18 player teams are overwhelming majority.

Team breakdowns

18- 4051

19- 1741

20- 1390

21- 1189

22- 1104

23- 1008

24- 895

25- 785

26- 670

27- 562

28- 470

29- 440

30- 810

Once again 18 player teams are overwhelming majority.
Thank goodness.  I suspect they'll be crushed like no other year before and last year was brutal for them.

Goff

Manning

Flacco

I believe Goff will be among the top scoring QBs this year.  The Rams are loaded with talent on the offensive side, it's Goff's second season under McVey, and I think he is ready to take a leap.  I see him as a 35+ TD guy this year.  Manning is dirt cheap and while I know he has been declining that offense is loaded as well.  Flacco has a much better receiving corps this year, is feeling the heat with them drafting Lamar (who I do NOT believe gets any starts this year unless Flacco gets hurt), and by all accounts has been rock solid this summer.  I can see him having a couple big weeks.

Fournette

Drake

Lamar Miller

Breida

Jordan Wilkins

Fournette is a top 5 RB if he remains healthy.  I'm impressed by the work he put in during the offseason to prepare for this season.  He's also a sneaky ppr guy.  I'm on the Drake train, especially with Gore already showing signs of poor health.  I don't see Drake as a 20-touch-per-game guy like Fournette, necessarily, but I fully expect him to be explosive with his opportunities and would not be shocked to see him approach 60+ receptions.  Lamar Miller was an inexpensive (essentially guaranteed) workhorse on a potentially explosive offense.  I think Watson will open up the running game there.  Breida is obvious and one of the guys I have I know a ton of other people have.  Wilkins is the flier - he'll be the starter for at least Week 1 and I don't see Mack as a difficult barrier for him to overtake.  The way I see it....Wilkins goes off this week, maybe next week, and wins the starting job and I've got a solid RB2/3 for $5.  If not, he's in a time share and maybe gets me a couple solid games this season.....and I "Wasted" $5

Cooper

Diggs

Corey Davis

Mike Williams

Ty Williams

Keelan Cole

Dede Westbrook

TreQuan Smith

I spent a bit here on purpose.  I'm a Cooper believer if only because their defense will stink, their running game is suspect, and Carr will have to toss the rock a ton this year.  I'm a Packer fan and love Jordy Nelson but he is not going to be the prime target hog there - Cooper will be.  On volume alone (And his ability to break long TDs at any time) he was a no-brainer for me.  I'm also buying in to two things on DIggs - (1) his contract extension sends the signal the team believes in him as a top WR, and, (2) the news coming out of Viqueen land that Cousins and him have good chemistry.  Some people may laugh but I think Corey Davis will be a 1200 yard, 10 td guy this year.  He was a shell of himself last year with his injuries but a healthy Davis is a potential beast who I expect to be one of the top 6-10 WRs drafted in redrafts next year based on his breakout this year.  By taking both San Die.....errr....LA Williams I feel like I'm guaranteed at least a WR2 each week.  Followed a similar path with the Jag WRs.....Cole will be their "volume" guy and Westbrook could be their big play guy (ala Ted Ginn).  And I'm a big fan of Smith in New Orleans.  I bet he is their unequivocal WR2 by mid season and, with Thomas attracting extra attention, could be a solid WR3.

Reed

Burton

Gesicki

Jonnu Smith

If Reed stays healthy Alex Smith will throw to him a TON.  That's a big if but one I'm willing to risk.  I also buy into the Burton hype - not that I think he'll be a top TE, necessarily, but because I believe Trubisky will look his way often.  Gesicki has a lot of learning to do in a position that takes rookies a long time to get pro-level-proficient in.....but who else is going to be the red zone guy there?  And I think Jonnu Smith is the future at TE in Tenn.....and Walker isn't getting any younger.  He's the cheap flier here who could have difference making value if Walker goes down.

Vinatieri

Gonzalez

Fairbairn

Yay kickers.  Picked 3 cheap ones I expect (hope?) to keep their job.

Arizona

Cleveland

Cleveland is obvious and I expect most people will have them.  Arizona may not be as popular a pick but I can see them having some sneaky value.  I also had Atlanta in there for a while but went with Jonnu Smith instead.

Team Holloway

QB - 3 for $21 - Smith $12 (4), Dalton $6 (9) and Darnold $3 (11) - Prefer to go with less expensive options at Quarterback. It is a similar philosophy as waiting to draft yours after ten or more are taken by others. Yes, quarterback scoring is higher in the contest, but with three guys, the opportunities for one to score on line with higher options is heightened and the budget is saved for other positions.

RB - 5 for $74 - Fournette $29(9), Collins $21(10), Barber $8(5), Breida $8(11) and Ekeler $8 (8) - These changed early and often, but I was looking for starters and potential consistently involved options along with value. Due to the 0.5 ppr, I steered away from pass catching specialist as my value guys. I like a shorter roster at running back to save budget for the receivers. I struggled a lot with my week ten selection, but settled for the homer pick with the Ex-Razorback Collins. Fournette was the latest addition as I felt I needed at least two with top ten potential and dropped Ingram who was on my roster from the jump.

WR - 9 for $83 - T. Hill $23(12), Goodwin $13(11), Lockett $9(7), Richardson $9(4), Meredith $8(6), Cole $7(9), John Brown $6(10), Sutton $5(10) and TreQuan Smith $3(6) - Always prefer quantity here and do my best to select quality at value prices. Also prefer players with long play potential in all best ball leagues. Bye week conflicts are minimized by depth and also not many overlaps. I have two week ten, but total budget spent at $10. I have two at week six to capture two Saints wide receivers. Really like this group.

TE - 5 for $49 - J. Reed $16(4), Burton $14(5), Eifert $9(9), Gesicki $6(11) and Goedert $4(9) - Had either Gronkowski or Kelce in most of my entries, but increased my budget and depth toward the final selections by adding Reed and Eifert, who are both injury risks. Like the depth here and the top two guys with early bye weeks.

PK - 4 for $9 - Janko $3(7), Fairbarn $2(10), Parkey $2(5) and Sanders $2(11) - Prefer multiple cheaper option for PKs as the scoring is so random and forecasting who will keep their job all season is practically impossible.

DST - 4 for $14 - Saints $6(6), Washington $3(4), Jets $2(11) and Browns $2 (11) - Love the Saints defense for 2018 so I spent a bit more than typical. Got three cheaper options for the random DST touchdowns.

Good luck and feed-back appreciated!

Prior to seeing pricing, my biases were to target 23-25 players and try to go light on RBs. Final roster hit the high end of the # of players, but spent more on RB then I planned on. It looks like I have 12 of top 18 most commonly owned players, so took value where I though it made sense and then built around it.

Matt Ryan  $13  8.75%

Patrick Mahomes II  $11  28.07%

Andy Dalton  $6  19.60%

Dalton is a screaming value to me. I had various iterations without him though since I didn't know if it made sense with ideal roster construction. For example, had Roethlisberger and Ryan only for a while. Hesitated on Mahomes given playoff schedule, but rostering 3 QBs made that more palatable. 

David Johnson  $34  12.40%

Mark Ingram  $20  4.50%

Peyton Barber  $8  41.12%

Matt Breida  $8  26.99%

James Conner  $4  35.84%

Rod Smith  $3  1.98%

Surprised Ingram didn't get more love. The first few weeks *should* be relatively easy to get through and his pricing seems relatively attractive compared to other comparable PPG RBs. Wasn't necessarily planning on a top-end RB, but DJ's projected points per $ seemed like a better bet than slightly cheaper options. More generally, didn't like the value proposition of RBs in the 20s and high-teens. I don't love Breida and Barber, but thought I better have them in case they blow up and should provide decent baseline production to hold me over for Ingram and bye weeks. Was planning on Conner even before Bell didn't report, so think I would have preferred Bell to show up - basically a potential injury play for late in the year. Similar rationale on Rod Smith.

Julio Jones  $32  3.70%

Tyreek Hill  $23  18.50%

Keelan Cole  $7  36.48%

Michael Gallup  $6  15.09%

John Brown  $6  21.05%

John Ross  $5  24.43%

Jeremy Kerley  $2  0.97%

Started with the cheap guys then picked a couple higher priced guys that should provide some consistency/upside. There seemed to be a lot of good value propositions in <$10 range this year so was hard to trim that list. I like the ownership % on Julio. 

Rob Gronkowski  $26  15.43%

Jared Cook  $8  4.63%

Austin Hooper  $8  9.80%

Played around with various iterations here. Originally was going to go 4 TEs in the sub-$15 range. Figured I might have more weekly upside (and downside) if I went with a top-3 guy and 2 mid-range guys. Surprised on Kelce's ownership relative to Gronk - might have swapped them if I knew those figures. 

Ryan Succop  $4  2.54%

Adam Vinatieri  $3  16.65%

Kaimi Fairbairn  $2  18.33%

Wanted to go cheap here and largely succeeded. Ironically, the 4 AFC south kickers were my top 4 candidates. 

Chicago Bears  $5  26.26%

Tennessee Titans  $4  5.07%

Cleveland Browns  $2  22.17%

Bit on the Bears after the Mack trade, Browns are obvious cheap play. Titans seemed like a decent dart throw.

QB  $30

RB  $77

WR  $81

TE  $42

K  $9

D  $11

Mike Wallace getting the cold shoulder in this contest as well.

Gio, Tyrell, Enunwa and Wallace are my < 3% players.

Code:
Name			Cost		Pos	Team		%
P Rivers		13		QB	LAC		19.1
J Winston		10		QB	TB		4.86
A Dalton		6		QB	CIN		19.6
M Gordon		30		RB	LAC		7.96
K Hunt			29		RB	KC		5.28
G Bernard		12		RB	CIN		2.3
P Barber		8		RB	TB		41.12
M Breida		8		RB	SF		26.99
J Conner		4		RB	PIT		35.84
T Williams		8		WR	LAC		2.73
K Cole			7		WR	JAX		36.48
D Amendola		6		WR	MIA		5.84
C Godwin		6		WR	TB		13.86
Jo Brown		6		WR	BAL		21.05
Q Enunwa		6		WR	NYJ		2.64
G Allison		6		WR	GB		8.85
M Wallace		5		WR	PHI		2.49
J Washington		4		WR	PIT		6.77
T Smith			3		WR	NO		6.89
P Dorsett		2		WR	NE		12.26
R Gronkowski		26		TE	NE		15.43
T Burton		14		TE	CHI		25.58
J Cook			8		TE	OAK		4.63
R Griffin		3		TE	HOU		3.45
M Crosby		4		PK	GB		13.17
J Lambo			3		PK	JAX		13.67
C Sturgis		3		PK	LAC		7.93
Titans			4		DT	TEN		5.07
Redskins		3		DT	WAS		3.22
Bengals			3		DT	CIN		7.77

I like to have large rosters in this contest, with a mix of studs & cheap value plays, and an emphasis on players who will produce late in the season (see: Allen, Winston, Bell). I try to fill some of the starting slots by throwing money at it and getting studs (who have the biggest weaks), and other slots by throwing numbers at it and letting best ball take care of the rest. Generally risk is good, and distinctiveness is good, though I didn't put a lot of effort into either of those.

My roster, with ownership percentages:

QB: 4 for $22
4.9%    QB    J Winston    TB    $10
19.6%    QB    A Dalton    CIN    $6
16.5%    QB    S Darnold    NYJ    $3
13.3%    QB    J Allen    BUF    $3

RB: 5 for $92
14.6%    RB    T Gurley    LAR    $37
2.2%    RB    L Bell    PIT    $37
41.1%    RB    P Barber    TB    $8
7.5%    RB    B Powell    NYJ    $7
2.9%    RB    C Edmonds    ARI    $3

WR: 8 for $77
9.4%    WR    A Brown    PIT    $37
36.5%    WR    K Cole    JAX    $7
8.2%    WR    A Miller    CHI    $7
21.0%    WR    Jo Brown    BAL    $6
15.1%    WR    M Gallup    DAL    $6
13.9%    WR    C Godwin    TB    $6
24.4%    WR    J Ross    CIN    $5
6.9%    WR    T Smith    NO    $3

TE: 4 for $40
15.4%    TE    R Gronkowski    NE    $26
4.6%    TE    J Cook    OAK    $8
3.5%    TE    R Griffin    HOU    $3
3.1%    TE    N Vannett    SEA    $3

PK: 4 for $8
18.3%    PK    K Fairbairn    HOU    $2
9.0%    PK    C Parkey    CHI    $2
5.3%    PK    Z Gonzalez    CLE    $2
2.3%    PK    J Sanders    MIA    $2

DT: 5 for $11
3.2%    DT    Redskins    WAS    $3
22.2%    DT    Browns    CLE    $2
7.1%    DT    Raiders    OAK    $2
5.6%    DT    Dolphins    MIA    $2
3.4%    DT    Colts    IND    $2

Breaking this down by price range:
Studs ($26+): 4 for $137. Todd Gurley ($37), Le'Veon Bell ($37), Antonio Brown ($37), Rob Gronkowski ($26). I was initially thinking "don't try to be clever here, just take the best guys who have the best shot at huge games & huge seasons." Then with Bell I tried to get clever; I figure that his holdout will depress his ownership but will probably blow over by week 5. That call could make or break me.

Solid starters ($11-$25): 0 for $0. None. Even with the ones who have relatively good prices, I'd rather pay up more for a stud or go with cheaper guys.

Undervalued midrange guys ($7-$10): 6 for $47. Jameis Winston ($10), Jared Cook ($8), Peyton Barber ($8), Bilal Powell ($7), Keelan Cole ($7), Anthony Miller ($7). At QB it seemed worth paying a little more for one guy with some upside, at TE Cook seemed really undervalued as the 2017 Raiders leading receiver, at RB I had to go up to this price range to get guys who have a reasonable shot at startable production each week, and at WR a couple of obvious value plays were slightly more expensive than the others.

Cheap value plays ($2-$6): 20 for $66. See most of my roster, above. Preseason good news + best ball scoring = lots of cheap fpts. Mostly pretty obvious value plays, though apparently the field didn't always agree. These guys give my roster a pretty high floor, and make the studs affordable, and have some upside themselves.

And by position:
RBs are generally overpriced for what they produced, so I wanted to get few of them. 4 potentially startable guys including 2 studs seems like it's about the minimum, and stud RBs are less overpriced than the rest because they do put up huge numbers. One shot at upside in Edmonds - it's not worth handcuffing your RBs because risk is good in this format, but it can be worth taking a shot at the handcuff to a RB that you don't own.

WR+TE is where most of the value plays are, and also some strong stud options.

QB: Normally I like to get a top QB plus 1-2 QB2s, but pricing was much kinder to the cheap options this year (e.g., Dalton+Tannehill+Darnold+Allen for $18) which favors throwing numbers at it. I considered my standard approach with Roethlisberger ($14) + Dalton ($6) + Darnold ($3), or that $18 foursome (though 3 have wk11 byes), before settling on Winston+Dalton+Darnold+Allen.

D+K: The case for getting 5 players at each position: we don't know who will get a pick 6 or kick 4 FGs any given weekend, so each one has basically the same weekly upside for just $2-3, plus a chance of hitting on this year's Zuerlein/Jags D. The case for only 4: 1) with 5, each one is only starting about 3 games for you on average, 2) once you've already picked your favorite 4, the 5th one is either more expensive or less good, 3) with the roster cap at 30 a 5th D/K limits your ability to take more value plays elsewhere. The last of these arguments swayed me down from 5+5 to 5+4, so I just have 9 players at D+K with fairly average spending.

Half of my 30-player team has under 10% owned:

1. Alex Smith QB 10.0%
  2. Parkey PK 9.0%
  3. Gesicki TE 8.5%
  4. Saints DST 8.0%
  5. J Reed TE 7.8%
  6. Janko PK 7.5%
  7. C Sutton WR 7.4%
  8. TreQuan Smith 6.9%
  9. Dolphins DST 5.6%
  10. Ekeler RB 3.7%
  11. Meredith WR 3.4%
  12. Washington DST 3.2%
  13. Jets DST 3.0%
  14. Sanders PK 2.3%
  15. P. Richardson WR 2.1%

My highest owned Barber at 41.2. My lowest Ty Montgomery at 1.78.

My avg of all 25 is 9.13.

What that means I am not sure.  Guess my players do not get much respect.  I guess I will go out very early or maybe it will be unique enough that if I do manage to get far into the contest I can do some damage.

Users who are viewing this thread