What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What QB pairs are you targeting this year? (1 Viewer)

Luck is going insanely cheap, I believe he'll come back to be himself and a top tier QB by week 4.  I'll grab Alex Smith or Dalton later on to hedge a bit.  I recently joined a redraft league, turns out Goff and Carr both went undrafted so maybe that's the route instead of doubling up though.  

Luck is going insanely cheap, I believe he'll come back to be himself and a top tier QB by week 4.  I'll grab Alex Smith or Dalton later on to hedge a bit.  I recently joined a redraft league, turns out Goff and Carr both went undrafted so maybe that's the route instead of doubling up though.  
Did most teams go without a backup? Goff is definitely top 20 if not better. 

There are so many QBs that I'm just going to grab what comes to me for the least $.  Like a dozen QBs within a 25 points of each other on the season.

FBG cheat sheet has Brees at #7 592 pts, Mahomes #16 572 pts.

No reason at all to push for a QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going by the default rankings in my league's draft room, Luck is going in the fourth round and Alex Smith in the fifth. 

I don't have great hopes they'll be there late. Even drafting against the idiots in my league, someone will take them within a round of there, just because they'll be at the top of the list. 
Can I join your league?

Not even sniffing QB before round 9. Looking to grab some combination of Rivers, Mariota, Winston and Bortles. Bortles has an amazing playoff schedule. I can honestly see any of them finishing top 10. I have usually run with Stafford the last few years but I don’t expect him to be there. 

• Smile
Reactions: Neo
Did most teams go without a backup? Goff is definitely top 20 if not better. 
Actually every team except for mine, and 1 other team had a backup.  I proceeded to grab Goff off FA instead of one of the others.  

Mahomes and Tyrod.

Both are cheap and their rushing ability gives them a nice floor with high weekly upside.

Both also have good receiving corps and good offensive coordinators/play callers.

QB seems like it will be the deepest it's been in years. Somebody that I don't think is getting a lot of love that I'm focusing on is Derek Carr. With Gruden as head coach & adding Jordy Nelson, I think Carr comes back to what he was 2 years ago. Another late pick I like is Flacco, with what seems like an upgrade in his receiver corp and multiple reports of him having the best camp he's ever had. I will admit, I have not looked at schedules from a fantasy playoff perspective, but, these are a couple of guys I think can/will shine this season and are going very late, if at all.  

He appears to have some good match ups. I am open all and any other suggestions
Yeah I don’t know. In a 2 QB league and need to trade for a 2nd Qb. Was thinking of Tannehill. Having a hard time valuing him. Not sure if the Dolphins will score points this year or not

I'm leaning toward Ben and Stafford. Ben for the home games and Stafford for Bens road games and to feed my bit of homer streak I still have in me through 26 year playing Lol. But it's not a bad combo, in my main league (3 keeper) I can get both after the 9th rd. The "sharks" I play with here in Michigan stay away from Stafford, regardless of value. Which I'll grab up and take the homer jokes. Stafford won me a championship last year after Rodgers went down.

Ended up with Roethlisberger, Winston and Bortles. Was planning on taking Rivers in the 9th but Ben was there so why not. Winston was top 3 in yards when he came back last year so after the suspension I’ll use him on Ben’s road games and Bortles has a cake playoff schedule so he could make an appearance late. 

Not even sniffing QB before round 9. Looking to grab some combination of Rivers, Mariota, Winston and Bortles. Bortles has an amazing playoff schedule. I can honestly see any of them finishing top 10. I have usually run with Stafford the last few years but I don’t expect him to be there. 
Got Luck at 9.4 and Rivers at 11.4 

I'm probably taking a flyer on Eli this year.  Probably the best receiving core he has ever had, a better O-line since I can remember, and if Barkley is 50% of the hype, then that is still 20% better than the RB's of late for NYG.  I see him getting back to 4,000+yds and 27+ TD's

Roethlisberger and Goff. The two widest home/ road splits in the league. Play Ben at home and goff on the road. The matchups aren't all ideal but you get 13 weeks including all 3 playoff weeks. If you project ben to get 350 points, 200 at home and 150 on the road, and goff to get similar splits, you basically get a little under 400 from the pair and they're both relatively cheap. 

Are you guys all in 2QB leagues? If so, why is it so important to get two?

My two main leagues are 14-teamers, so I have to worry a little about what will be out there on the WW. Still, if I get to the later rounds and there's no one good (I'll probably take my first QB around Round 9-10), I'm not going to take a backup just to do it. The likelihood is there will be a better option within a couple weeks to stream based on matchup if my main QB doesn't pan out.

Tate/ Landry/ Juju and Kerryon/ miller went also in Rd5. One reason for it is the bonuses we get- 5 points at 300 yards, 5 pts at 25 completions, 1 pt per 20 yards.
Scoring shouldn't impact how you draft QBs, because they affect every QB across the board. Yes, it might make some guys slightly more valuable than others, but it doesn't make the position any more valuable.

The only thing that actually changes the value is scarcity (eg, 2QB/superflex leagues).

Got Wentz and Smith. But honestly you can stream QB anymore. People don't value the position enough to care.

Scoring shouldn't impact how you draft QBs, because they affect every QB across the board. Yes, it might make some guys slightly more valuable than others, but it doesn't make the position any more valuable.

The only thing that actually changes the value is scarcity (eg, 2QB/superflex leagues).
Scoring can make a difference. Maybe not as much as people think.

Grabbed Big Ben in the 12th last night.

Mariota, Bortles, Carr and a few others still sitting there to possibly pair with. Six year of my league, feel like this is the first year where people didn't draft Qbs early ( there were still a few mind you ), but more importantly, didn't also draft backups around rounds 8-11. For once I wasn't left looking at a decimated QB field around round 9. One guy took it further than me and grabbed Ryan in round 13

I wouldn't be buying Roethlisberger at this point.  I think he has started the down slope of his career. 
Johnny--- given the fact that Ben was THE #1 fantasy QB from week 10 forward last season; he got rid of an offensive coordinator (Haley) who he hated and did not speak to and replaced him with a guy (Fichtner) who has been his QB coach for the past 8 years; and they plan on letting him run the no-huddle more this season (which should lead to more plays and in turn, more fantasy points), I am not certain that I agree with your statement. 

Johnny--- given the fact that Ben was THE #1 fantasy QB from week 10 forward last season; he got rid of an offensive coordinator (Haley) who he hated and did not speak to and replaced him with a guy (Fichtner) who has been his QB coach for the past 8 years; and they plan on letting him run the no-huddle more this season (which should lead to more plays and in turn, more fantasy points), I am not certain that I agree with your statement. 
Better to sell a year too early than a year too late.

I'm pretty much only interested in QBs with soft Septembers as the position is hilariously deep and I feel comfortable dropping just about anyone in a normal sized league. Stafford, Brees and Ben stuck out to me. To a lesser extent I liked Cousins. I think Bortles and Tannehill technically count but there's no need to go that deep. 

I ended up with Alex Smith in the 9th and Matt Ryan in the 10th in a 14-team league where we are required to carry at least 2 QBs on our roster. While FBG thought QB was a weakness in my draft they did let me know that coincidentally these two have an excellent combined scheduled.

Better to sell a year too early than a year too late.
Ben showed up to camp in great shape, has looked sharp and has upgraded weapons from last year (except at TE).  He also finally has an offensive coordinator he gets along with again which means an open offense and more passing. 

The concern that I have with changing the OC is that Haley was brought in to reduce the hits that Ben was taking.   He did this by going with more quick timing routes and a commitment to the running game and it worked:  Ben was routinely taking 30-40 sacks a year whereas the last 3 years he was sacked 20, 17 and 21 times.  I am a little worried that Ben takes more punishment in this offense.

I started a whole thread on this, but I'm leaning toward avoiding the safe low-end QB1s (Stafford, Rivers, Ben) and only drafting later-round guys with upside (Mahomes, Mariota). You can read the whole thread for more detail, but in a nutshell, the safe guys' high-floor/low-ceiling means that they will be too good to drop, pretty much locking me in to low-end QB1 production, which I can most likely manufacture by streaming the position with lower-ranked guys who have good match-ups. On the other hand, if the late-round guys don't pan out, it will be much easier to drop them and play the wire with guys who emerge a la Watson last year.

I was fine with any group of mid tier QBs.  I ended up taking Stafford first then Garrapolo 2 rounds later.  Perfectly fine with those 2.  

I was fine with any group of mid tier QBs.  I ended up taking Stafford first then Garrapolo 2 rounds later.  Perfectly fine with those 2.  
Love those two guys together. I'm good with taking QBs in back to back rounds late and grabbing guys like that. Stafford, Garrapolo, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Mahomes. Numerous more.

In a best ball format, who would be a good couple of later round guys to target?

I'm in a 10 team auction league and went with Roethlisberger. I then read the FFG article and saw they recommended pairing him with Alex Smith... which is what I did.  

Normally, I wouldn't, but Brees (4th QB) being there and not really liking anyone else there (I already had Gordon, Adams, and Thielen- and we only start 2rb/2wr/1te no flex). Figured why not go Brees. Then Rivers (12th QB) was there in the 9th and I had 1 qb, 3 rb, 2 wr, 2 te- why not go for it and maybe screw the guy that hadn't taken a Qb yet. 

montana_grizzly_bears said:
Normally, I wouldn't, but Brees (4th QB) being there and not really liking anyone else there (I already had Gordon, Adams, and Thielen- and we only start 2rb/2wr/1te no flex). Figured why not go Brees. Then Rivers (12th QB) was there in the 9th and I had 1 qb, 3 rb, 2 wr, 2 te- why not go for it and maybe screw the guy that hadn't taken a Qb yet. 
That's fair. I probably wouldn't have made either of those decisions, but I can't find fault with your logic. Brees and Cam are the two QBs I could see targeting if they fell (along with Jimmy G in a lower tier). That's because all three of them have Top 5 upside. I don't want to pay retail, but I'll take them at a discount.

Users who are viewing this thread