What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (9 Viewers)

I shouldn't have vowed to do this; due to my limited skills with the board functions compiling these took me forever.   :lmao:  

FBG musical chops on display.  I will not be ranking these!

@Shaft41's daughter:  Let It Be

@fatguyinalittlecoat:  Blackbird     I've Just Seen A Face

@Nipsey:  I've culled these both from this thread and Nipsey's awesome karaoke thread, which you should be visiting religiously, too.  They're in (approximate?) order of when he recorded them over the last couple of years.

Penny Lane

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window  (no OH LOOK OUT!)

Rocky Raccoon 

Martha My Dear

Back In The U.S.S.R.

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

There’s A Place

Girl

Taxman

Got To Get You Into My Life

You’re Going To Lose That Girl

Drive My Car

Mean Mr. Mustard

Mother Nature’s Son

I’m Looking Through You

Two Of Us

Lovely Rita version 1

Lovely Rita version 2 (includes opening "aaahhh"s)

I Want To Hold Your Hand

Across The Universe

Golden Slumbers part 1

Golden Slumbers part 2

Hello, Goodbye

Blackbird

Bonus track since we all love Paul:  Band On The Run

Last edited by a moderator:
Just at the bar*, and played "Helter Skelter" followed by "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" to try to block out some ####ty Black Crowes** someone had on.  When the second song started, overheard someone saying, "Is this some kind of stoner music?"   :lol:  

*Whatever, it's Monday, man.

**Redundant?

I shouldn't have vowed to do this; due to my limited skills with the board functions compiling these took me forever.   :lmao:  

FBG musical chops on display.  I will not be ranking these!

@Shaft41's daughter:  Let It Be

@fatguyinalittlecoat:  Blackbird     I've Just Seen A Face

@Nipsey:  I've culled these both from this thread and Nipsey's awesome karaoke thread, which you should be visiting religiously, too.  They're in (approximate?) order of when he recorded them over the last couple of years.

Penny Lane

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window  (no OH LOOK OUT!)

Rocky Raccoon 

Martha My Dear

Back In The U.S.S.R.

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

There’s A Place

Girl

Taxman

Got To Get You Into My Life

You’re Going To Lose That Girl

Drive My Car

Mean Mr. Mustard

Mother Nature’s Son

I’m Looking Through You

Two Of Us

Lovely Rita version 1

Lovely Rita version 2 (includes opening "aaahhh"s)

I Want To Hold Your Hand

Across The Universe

Golden Slumbers part 1

Golden Slumbers part 2

Bonus track since we all love Paul:  Band On The Run
A coupla three things...

Wow. I'm in awe of Krista for her commitment to this thread and for her kindness and generosity to all who have followed along with it. Not only did she crush write-up after write-up (I agree with the poster earlier who said if you put all of the write-ups together it would make a great book) but she also took so much care to respond to and include us all in the journey. A top 5 all time thread for sure and maybe/likely the 🐐.

@Shaft41 's daughter is a talent. To be able to play AND sing like that just blows me away. Can't even imagine what her ceiling is. Any more stuff of hers out there or can subsequent performances be posted here?

Can @fatguyinalittlecoat sing some more stuff? Can you sing Blackbird a cappella? You have such an awesome voice, a Dylan-esque quality to it. We could do a Beatles a cappella-off. One of us sings a few lines first and the other completes it. I'll start: I Will

Thanks again for including me. I'm just a voiceover guy just trying to replicate Beatles vocals. My buddies who can really sing mock me incessantly, albeit lovingly, when I send them these mp3's. About 7 years ago I was in Atlanta at a Rock & Roll karaoke place where you sing rock songs with a live band in front of a huge crowd. I sang We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions and caught the singing bug. The only thing I remember about the performance was looking out into the crowd and this one guy looking at me made the "L" sign with his thumb and index finger on his forehead. I didn't care. I was having too good a time just like I have here. Thanks for all the fun.

Can @fatguyinalittlecoat sing some more stuff? Can you sing Blackbird a cappella? You have such an awesome voice, a Dylan-esque quality to it. We could do a Beatles a cappella-off. One of us sings a few lines first and the other completes it. I'll start: I Will
Holy ####, YES PLEASE!  I would like to insist fatguy only sing when he has I've Just Seen A Face hair, but I guess I'll accept all fatguy versions.  Please please do this.

As for the rest, your post was super-sweet, but really the thread is only good because of the other people in it.  It runs the gamut of everything great about the forum or about people in general...I just typed up a list of all this but realized I'd be repeating myself from my "acceptance speech," and everyone knows what i mean anyway.   

The impulse for the thread might seem mostly narcissistic, and there's no ignoring that, but was even more so a result of my being dead-set on finishing something I said I'd do.  In contrast, my mom asked me 15 years ago for a list of movies she should watch, and 30+ pages and eight tiers later, I'm still perfecting it.  As I mentioned before (I think), I figured I'd have a few people who were interested, but the reaction has been fantastic.  I love interacting with GBs but am even more overwhelmed to have a chance to get to know people I'd never had much or any contact with.  The cross-section of posters has been wonderful, as has been their welcoming of everyone's viewpoints.  

I'm typing too much as always, but my point is that I haven't done much here individually, but as a whole I think we've made something really special.  My impulse (which I'm trying mostly successfully to quash) is not to let the thread die only because I love so much what everyone else is posting, and the little sub-community that was established.  Thank you personally for bringing such charm to that.  And also, even though YOU don’t care, I do, so  #### that Atlanta guy and I will fight* him.

*I've never fought anyone in my life.

Just at the bar*, and played "Helter Skelter" followed by "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" to try to block out some ####ty Black Crowes** someone had on.  When the second song started, overheard someone saying, "Is this some kind of stoner music?"   :lol:  

*Whatever, it's Monday, man.

**Redundant?
technically, they're right

I can’t express how much I’d love an “In this thread fatguy and Nipsey complete each other’s songs” thread.

A coupla three things...

Wow. I'm in awe of Krista for her commitment to this thread and for her kindness and generosity to all who have followed along with it. Not only did she crush write-up after write-up (I agree with the poster earlier who said if you put all of the write-ups together it would make a great book) but she also took so much care to respond to and include us all in the journey. A top 5 all time thread for sure and maybe/likely the 🐐.

@Shaft41 's daughter is a talent. To be able to play AND sing like that just blows me away. Can't even imagine what her ceiling is. Any more stuff of hers out there or can subsequent performances be posted here?

Thanks again for including me. I'm just a voiceover guy just trying to replicate Beatles vocals. My buddies who can really sing mock me incessantly, albeit lovingly, when I send them these mp3's. About 7 years ago I was in Atlanta at a Rock & Roll karaoke place where you sing rock songs with a live band in front of a huge crowd. I sang We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions and caught the singing bug. The only thing I remember about the performance was looking out into the crowd and this one guy looking at me made the "L" sign with his thumb and index finger on his forehead. I didn't care. I was having too good a time just like I have here. Thanks for all the fun.
My daughter did her tryout for their upcoming concert yesterday.  This year, she's singing Elton's "Your Song".  She never wants to let us hear it when she practices, so I can't wait to hear it.  The concert is at the end of March, and I'll gladly post it here afterwards.  I'd love seeing more Nipsey and Fatguy stuff, as well as anyone else who wants to fire up a song including, but not limited to, Krista herself.  

Holy ####, YES PLEASE!  I would like to insist fatguy only sing when he has I've Just Seen A Face hair, but I guess I'll accept all fatguy versions.  Please please do this.

As for the rest, your post was super-sweet, but really the thread is only good because of the other people in it.  It runs the gamut of everything great about the forum or about people in general...I just typed up a list of all this but realized I'd be repeating myself from my "acceptance speech," and everyone knows what i mean anyway.   

The impulse for the thread might seem mostly narcissistic, and there's no ignoring that, but was even more so a result of my being dead-set on finishing something I said I'd do.  In contrast, my mom asked me 15 years ago for a list of movies she should watch, and 30+ pages and eight tiers later, I'm still perfecting it.  As I mentioned before (I think), I figured I'd have a few people who were interested, but the reaction has been fantastic.  I love interacting with GBs but am even more overwhelmed to have a chance to get to know people I'd never had much or any contact with.  The cross-section of posters has been wonderful, as has been their welcoming of everyone's viewpoints.  

I'm typing too much as always, but my point is that I haven't done much here individually, but as a whole I think we've made something really special.  My impulse (which I'm trying mostly successfully to quash) is not to let the thread die only because I love so much what everyone else is posting, and the little sub-community that was established.  Thank you personally for bringing such charm to that.  And also, even though YOU don’t care, I do, so  #### that Atlanta guy and I will fight* him.

*I've never fought anyone in my life.
I don't want the thread to die.  I'd love continued discussion of all things Beatles.  I know there was a separate Beatles thread with more of the history of the band, but the songs talk in here has been stellar to say the least.  I start panicking when I see the thread toward the bottom of page one.  There are surely other rankings and discussion we can have, unless, of course, I'm the only one who wants such a thing, which is entirely possible.   

I don't want the thread to die.  I'd love continued discussion of all things Beatles.  I know there was a separate Beatles thread with more of the history of the band, but the songs talk in here has been stellar to say the least.  I start panicking when I see the thread toward the bottom of page one.  There are surely other rankings and discussion we can have, unless, of course, I'm the only one who wants such a thing, which is entirely possible.   
Well, I'm definitely not gonna stop my yabber'in here, Shaft. 

Tho, K could call the fuzz on me, I guess. 

Seriously, now that the big show has been revealed, I plan to add a few commentaries that I've been working on. 

Also, I'm going to be seeking input from others in the planning of my on-the-scene reporting from Abbey Road On The River...that's in May. 

Finally, I'm not a vocalist, but if others can tolerate it, I may be persuaded to join in some singing. However, I'll need some advice on how to do the technical work...uploading and whatnot. 

My daughter did her tryout for their upcoming concert yesterday.  This year, she's singing Elton's "Your Song".  She never wants to let us hear it when she practices, so I can't wait to hear it.  The concert is at the end of March, and I'll gladly post it here afterwards.  I'd love seeing more Nipsey and Fatguy stuff, as well as anyone else who wants to fire up a song including, but not limited to, Krista herself.  
Eager to hear this one!  

No songs from me; I'm merely an adequate singer, and I got rid of my pianos when we moved to Nicaragua.   :(   I'd probably suck now since I haven't played in so long.  I can only offer this audio from Sunday of me laughing uncontrollably, which I accidentally uploaded to YouTube in an experiment gone awry, and now I can't figure out how to delete it.

ETA:  This was a subtle plea for a way to delete a video.  Thank you to the kind FBG who PM'd me with the info.  Poof!

"1964:  December—Ringo’s tonsillectomy inspires worldwide vigil."  

:lmao:   As well it should have.

Thanks for posting this.  The second version of the chair is both charmingly and gloriously written.  I felt my pulse quickening as it crescendoed.  Made me, more than I've ever felt before, wish I'd been alive for that explosion.

I wasn't as taken with the third chair, but it was an interesting perspective to read, if a bit disjointed.  Boy, he didn't like Sgt. Pepper's.

Great stuff; had never seen this.
I didn't read it that way so much - I thought he was harder on Abbey Road, which he barely mentioned, though it's now as popular as any album to newer fans - as that he didn't think his favorite aspect of the group was around anymore. Marcus got in on the ground floor - a college kid whose Beatles fandom began with the Ed Sullivan appearance - and he's always been kind of a minimalist in the essays I've read. 

That essay was written for Rolling Stone's Illustrated History Of Rock And Roll, which for decades was really the only attempt to write a cohesive history of the music. They failed miserably (the entirety of the Motown artists besides Stevie Wonder [he got two] got like 3 pages combined; the friggin' Doors got that many themselves :loco:  ). But it propagated the Boomer myth that the most important rock music was white-guys-with-guitars in the late 60s/early 70s (most of whom were publisher Jann Wenner's buddies).

I didn't read it that way so much - I thought he was harder on Abbey Road, which he barely mentioned, though it's now as popular as any album to newer fans - as that he didn't think his favorite aspect of the group was around anymore. Marcus got in on the ground floor - a college kid whose Beatles fandom began with the Ed Sullivan appearance - and he's always been kind of a minimalist in the essays I've read. 

That essay was written for Rolling Stone's Illustrated History Of Rock And Roll, which for decades was really the only attempt to write a cohesive history of the music. They failed miserably (the entirety of the Motown artists besides Stevie Wonder [he got two] got like 3 pages combined; the friggin' Doors got that many themselves :loco:  ). But it propagated the Boomer myth that the most important rock music was white-guys-with-guitars in the late 60s/early 70s (most of whom were publisher Jann Wenner's buddies).
I think it was when he called Pepper "contrived," the music on it "not great art," and listed such songs as I Am the Walrus, Yer Blues, I’m So Tired, and Don’t Let Me Down as all being better than A Day In The Life, that I got the impression he wasn't so into it.  And yes, the second part where he writes of his personal experiences was the best part for me.  I did appreciate the timeline, too.

I think it was when he called Pepper "contrived," the music on it "not great art," and listed such songs as I Am the Walrus, Yer Blues, I’m So Tired, and Don’t Let Me Down as all being better than A Day In The Life, that I got the impression he wasn't so into it.  And yes, the second part where he writes of his personal experiences was the best part for me.  I did appreciate the timeline, too.
Oh, I agree. But when I first read this in 1980 upon the book's release, it was a consensus that Pepper's was the greatest album of all time. This essay was the first time - in an admittedly barren-at-the-time rock criticism landscape - I had seen a "pro" challenge that.

I love "A Day In The Life", though it didn't make my Top 25 (where I had "Penny Lane" at #11). I think "Don't Let Me Down" is a better record - it sounds "realer" to me and is one I'd want on my mythical Otis Covers Other Legends album. The others Marcus mentioned, not so much.

Eager to hear this one!  

No songs from me; I'm merely an adequate singer, and I got rid of my pianos when we moved to Nicaragua.   :(   I'd probably suck now since I haven't played in so long.  I can only offer this audio from Sunday of me laughing uncontrollably, which I accidentally uploaded to YouTube in an experiment gone awry, and now I can't figure out how to delete it.

ETA:  This was a subtle plea for a way to delete a video.  Thank you to the kind FBG who PM'd me with the info.  Poof!
I left my harp in San Francisco....

Eager to hear this one!  

:kicksrock:

Every time I listen to it, I become more and more convinced that y'all putting "Hold Me Tight" at k4 169 and Composite 120 is maybe a bigger travesty than Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.  And I'm an avowed non-early Beatles lover.  Even Binky's 126 song top 25 didn't include it.  
Meh, Saving Private Ryan wasn’t that great either.  (I fully expect Penny Lane-level backlash now, but I stand by it.  American History X and The Thin Red Line were better mainstream dramas that year.)

Do love that off-kilter dissonance in Hold Me Tight.  

it was a lot more girly & squealy than i thought it would be. a genuine giggle in a way that shows she could be rendered senseless by a strong series of ridiculousnesses. sorry, k, but we don't have many womenfolk in these parts.
No one reads my write-ups but somehow you all heard my giggling before I could delete it!   :lmao:  

No one reads my write-ups but somehow you all heard my giggling before I could delete it!   :lmao:  
Men... :shrug:

But, I agree on American History X. I didn't watch it for the longest time cause I thought it would be too White Supremey. When I finally saw it.... Whoa! 

Also agree on Thin Red Line. Caveziel (sp?) right? Another Whoa! 

👍

I can’t express how much I’d love an “In this thread fatguy and Nipsey complete each other’s songs” thread.
For you I will try to make this happen.  Gotta figure out Nipsey’s site I’ll see if I have time tonight.  Sorry I haven’t been around but I just went on my first first date  since like high school.  Also a lot of other stuff going on in my personal life.

Every time I listen to it, I become more and more convinced that y'all putting "Hold Me Tight" at k4 169 and Composite 120 is maybe a bigger travesty than Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.  And I'm an avowed non-early Beatles lover.  Even Binky's 126 song top 25 didn't include it.  
This entire thread I have not questioned a single ranking. But I have to admit you make a good point. What a great tune.

For you I will try to make this happen.  Gotta figure out Nipsey’s site I’ll see if I have time tonight.  Sorry I haven’t been around but I just went on my first first date  since like high school.  Also a lot of other stuff going on in my personal life.
👍

Also, @Nipsey..could you write up or link to some advice on the best way to do all this stuff?

I suck at singing, so I won't be in top tier bracket, but I might try to record some of my stupid lyrics. 

That way, my mewling will at least add to the comedic effect...maybe.😁

Users who are viewing this thread