Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

2 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

If we're ranking thread subtitles, "Your opinion is wrong" is the best one yet.

not even close

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, ScottNorwood said:

Yeah, but I kind of feel bad for all you guys that she's referring to with that comment.

Pretty sure it was Shaft41 she was referring to.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:00 AM, Shaft41 said:

Probably my least favorite on the top 50 remaining is "Rain".  It just seems...messy.  

Your face is messy!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Spock said:

Your face is messy!

Apparently Mr. Mustard isn't the only one who's mean.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shaft41 said:

If you had a ten bob note up your nose, you'd be mean as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heckmanm said:

Thick as a Brick - 22:40 or 21:06

2 hours ago, ScottNorwood said:

Yeah, but I kind of feel bad for all you guys that she's referring to with that comment.

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Personally I'm pretty used to having a woman tell me that.

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

not even close

12 minutes ago, Spock said:

Your face is messy!

10 minutes ago, Shaft41 said:

7 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

i shave in the dark

6 minutes ago, Spock said:

If you had a ten bob note up your nose, you'd be mean as well. 

wOw - this thread really does need krista

• Like 8

I had a dream last night that I was driving with the Beatles channel on the radio, and I heard a fantastic cover of "You Won't See Me" that I'd forgotten to post in my write-up, and I felt shame.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I had a dream last night that I was driving with the Beatles channel on the radio, and I heard a fantastic cover of "You Won't See Me" that I'd forgotten to post in my write-up, and I felt shame.

Was it Nipsey? 

I can imagine the daily obsession - I think I'd lose it!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I realized that one part of this adventure for you that I've underestimated in its time is the finding, listening and recommending of covers for each song.  But you've unearthed some gems.  And I'm not a big cover guy.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, krista4 said:

What were you wearing and what did you have to eat the meal immediately before the drive?

• Laughing 1

46 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Hopefully it wasn't this one

• Laughing 1

@Spock's wedding song!

51.  Here, There and Everywhere (Revolver, 1966)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I've heard and read interviews with Paul in which he says this is the favorite of his songs.  John loved it, too, deeming it one of his favorites of all the Beatles songs.  I've wondered if John's opinion of the song influenced Paul's thinking; when I've read about their friendship, it's seemed to me that Paul was often hoping for John's approval.  Paul has mentioned John's praise of the song as "one of the nicest little moments" they had together.

This is one of those perfect songs that I don't rate more highly simply because love songs are not one of my preferred genres.  Still, Paul's haunting almost-falsetto vocal set against the shimmering backing vocals are irresistible.  Paul has stated that he wanted to sound like Marianne Faithfull with the near-falsetto, and his vocal was recorded at a slower speed then sped up for the recording to give it more of the high-pitched, boyish sound.  While the short introduction and the first verse address the "here," and the second verse contemplates the "there," my favorite part of the song is the "everywhere," which is covered in the bridge.  The second verse glides upward to a new key for the bridge, where the backing vocals also cease and are replaced by a more prominent guitar; it's this wobbly, slightly menacing guitar riff (starting ~1:02) followed by the lead vocal falling back down into the original major key that's my favorite part of the song.

Mr. krista:  "Did you notice that the song is in three different time signatures?  [We listen several more times as we count it out.] I like how it works with the previous song ("Love You To").  It’s like the Eastern and Western counterparts to the same sentiment – live for the day type thing.  I like it more than I thought I did.  It really rewards conscious listening, or whatever I do while I’m playing a baseball game on my phone.  Those really beautiful multi-tracked harmonies and guileless presentation show you how much he loved Pet Sounds.  Both those records probably alienated large chunks of their fanbase."

Suggested cover:  Of course Emmylou

Edited by krista4
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, JZilla said:

Was it Nipsey? 

I can imagine the daily obsession - I think I'd lose it!

I might be losing it.

Shaft - regarding the covers, sometimes it takes me longer to find the cover(s) than doing the write-up.  There are some where I already know which one I want, like the last song I posted, but mostly not.

Dr. Octopus - I listened to that one, unfortunately!

20 minutes ago, krista4 said:

@Spock's wedding song!

50.  Here, There and Everywhere (Revolver, 1966)

I've heard and read interviews with Paul in which he says this is the favorite of his songs.  John loved it, too, deeming it one of his favorites of all the Beatles songs.  I've wondered if John's opinion of the song influenced Paul's thinking; when I've read about their friendship, it's seemed to me that Paul was often hoping for John's approval.  Paul has mentioned John's praise of the song as "one of the nicest little moments" they had together.

This is one of those perfect songs that I don't rate more highly simply because love songs are not one of my preferred genres.  Still, Paul's haunting almost-falsetto vocal set against the shimmering backing vocals are irresistible.  Paul has stated that he wanted to sound like Marianne Faithfull with the near-falsetto, and his vocal was recorded at a slower speed then sped up for the recording to give it more of the high-pitched, boyish sound.  While the short introduction and the first verse address the "here," and the second verse contemplates the "there," my favorite part of the song is the "everywhere," which is covered in the bridge.  The second verse glides upward to a new key for the bridge, where the backing vocals also cease and are replaced by a more prominent guitar; it's this wobbly, slightly menacing guitar riff (starting ~1:02) followed by the lead vocal falling back down into the original major key that's my favorite part of the song.

Mr. krista:  "Did you notice that the song is in three different time signatures?  [We listen several more times as we count it out.] I like how it works with the previous song ("Love You To").  It’s like the Eastern and Western counterparts to the same sentiment – live for the day type thing.  I like it more than I thought I did.  It really rewards conscious listening, or whatever I do while I’m playing a baseball game on my phone.  Those really beautiful multi-tracked harmonies and guileless presentation show you how much he loved Pet Sounds.  Both those records probably alienated large chunks of their fanbase."

How apropos that this song slotted in today's rankings. I used the title on my wife's valentine's day card this morning. Today marks our 18th anniversary of dating. Glad it made the top 50.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, krista4 said:

@Spock's wedding song!

50.  Here, There and Everywhere (Revolver, 1966)

This is probably exactly where I'd place this song.  It's weird, this is the kind of Beatles song that is usually right in my wheelhouse.  Simple love song, gorgeous melody and harmonies, a Paul tune, etc, but there's just something missing for me that I'm not sure I can put my finger on that keeps it out of the top with songs like "Blackbird" "Things We Said Today" and "For No One."  Honestly, I wonder if it's the fact that my parents have always liked instrumental muzak, which, especially when I was younger, was as appealing to listen to as Yoko taking a dump, and I feel like a muzak version of "Here, There and Everywhere" came on about every 23 minutes.  It's too 70's AM pop standard Fogelbergy for me.  But still a great song.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Dr. Octopus - I listened to that one, unfortunately!

terrible

• Like 1

50.  I've Got A Feeling (Let It Be, 1970)

Love these Paul/John mishmosh songs, linking a song fragment from each of them, and I think this is one of their most successful fusions.  As was often (always?) the case, the Paul portion is generally upbeat, this time reflecting his love for Linda.  Despite this being written at a particularly tough time for John, though - coming on the heels of his drug bust, Yoko's miscarriage, his divorce, and more - I don't hear the usual pessimism or cynicism from John in his portion.  If anything, he sounds more laid-back, maybe detached and resigned to circumstances.  

The best part of this song for me is that, unlike the other similar collaborations, this one doesn't simply go Paul-John-Paul or John-Paul-John, but late in the song merges the two song parts together, one on top of the other.  Interlaying John's mellow sound on top of Paul's more aggressive rock part works beautifully.   The song rocks, thanks to...well, everyone involved.  Paul contributes a passionate rock vocal, though perhaps tending too far into a "cookie monster" feel for my taste, and John and George wail on the guitars after an understated opening riff.  Billy Preston adds another level of groove on the electric piano, and Ringo's fills connect everything together perfectly.  It's great rock, but also playful and fun; the rooftop concert evidences how much they enjoyed this one.

Mr. krista:  "It’s a really good rock song.  It’s like they did The Faces as good or better than The Faces. And I love The Faces."

Suggested covers:  I feel like Eddie Vedder overplays the vocal, but Pearl Jam . Found several live versions by Robyn Hitchcock; this had the best sound quality but not great.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Spock said:

How apropos that this song slotted in today's rankings. I used the title on my wife's valentine's day card this morning. Today marks our 18th anniversary of dating. Glad it made the top 50.

:heart:  Happy dating anniversary and Valentine's Day to the Spocks!  

Wait, does this mean your first date was on Valentine's Day?  Bold.  

41 minutes ago, Shaft41 said:

This is probably exactly where I'd place this song.  It's weird, this is the kind of Beatles song that is usually right in my wheelhouse.  Simple love song, gorgeous melody and harmonies, a Paul tune, etc, but there's just something missing for me that I'm not sure I can put my finger on that keeps it out of the top with songs like "Blackbird" "Things We Said Today" and "For No One."  Honestly, I wonder if it's the fact that my parents have always liked instrumental muzak, which, especially when I was younger, was as appealing to listen to as Yoko taking a dump, and I feel like a muzak version of "Here, There and Everywhere" came on about every 23 minutes.  It's too 70's AM pop standard Fogelbergy for me.  But still a great song.  

I don't think I've heard the muzak version.  it's a testimony to how great the melody is that this works as an instrumental, too.

I think I've beat up @Dr. Octopus's list of favorites worse than Binky's, and there's one more to come very soon.  :( I've always had the impression our tastes were similar, and I guess they still could be since I'm splitting very tiny hairs at this point.

• Like 1

I didn't realize today was Valentine's Day until I read Spock's post.  I have to work for 4-5 hours now, but, since I didn't even know it was today and Mr. krista will be at work, I'll be here later this afternoon and this evening pathetically posting songs while eating chips and dip alone.  :bag: 

Just now, krista4 said:

I didn't realize today was Valentine's Day until I read Spock's post.  I have to work for 4-5 hours now, but, since I didn't even know it was today and Mr. krista will be at work, I'll be here later this afternoon and this evening pathetically posting songs while eating chips and dip alone.  :bag: 

I'll be asleep before you come back :bag: :bag: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

If we're ranking thread subtitles, "Your opinion is wrong" is the best one yet.

Penny Lame a strong contender.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ScottNorwood said:

yeah, well ...wipe that smug look off your face pretty boy.  

Well aren’t we all a bunch of romantics?

11 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I think I've beat up @Dr. Octopus's list of favorites worse than Binky's, and there's one more to come very soon.  :( I've always had the impression our tastes were similar, and I guess they still could be since I'm splitting very tiny hairs at this point.

We both love the Beatles at least.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I bought all my wife's stuff on Monday.  We don't really exchange gifts typically. But  I bought her a couple of bottles of wine, some candy, and a coffee mug with hearts and #### on it    invoking a brief cease-fire in the Coffee Mug War (2008-present).

• Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I didn't realize today was Valentine's Day until I read Spock's post.

Up to now I had assumed you were a woman.

• Like 7
  • Laughing 1

22 minutes ago, krista4 said:

ms. & mr. krista live action treatment of Binky's Beatle Countdown!!

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, krista4 said:

chip poll/thread two doors down on the left.  

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

I'm playing pickup b-ball tonight instead of spending time at home.  Ha.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Up to now I had assumed you were a woman.

I used to be more romantic; not sure what happened.  Just feels like something more for kids or young adults now.  I can’t fathom caring about it.

I do find it sweet when the Spocks celebrate or even hard-hearted old coot Tanner buys his wife some garbage.  What’s the Coffee Mug War?

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I used to be more romantic; not sure what happened.  Just feels like something more for kids or young adults now.  I can’t fathom caring about it.

I do find it sweet when the Spocks celebrate or even hard-hearted old coot Tanner buys his wife some garbage.  What’s the Coffee Mug War?

It's a war about coffee mugs.

HTH

I know this will change now they i say this, but Krista's last 25 songs from the mid-70's down,  have almost all been within 3-8 slots (10%) from the composite ranking of the same song.

2 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

It's a war about coffee mugs.

HTH

It doesn't.

I was just driving home with the Beatles channel on, and

I wish I'd ranked "We Can Work It Out" higher.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, krista4 said:

Finally got the food menu. Thank you.

Still need wardrobe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I heard it also on the way home just now on my Top 25 Spotify list. :D

• Like 2

While we have this lull in the proceedings, whatever happened to krista1 thru krista3?

• Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

While we have this lull in the proceedings, whatever happened to krista1 thru krista3?

Fox News hosts

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Hide contents

Glad you see it my way.

16 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Glad you see it my way.

well, life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend

• Thinking 1

49.  Don't Let Me Down (single, 1970)

Originally submitted during the Get Back sessions but omitted by Phil Spector from Let It Be, this instead became the b-Lside to "Get Back."  This is the last song I'll be ranking that was played at the London rooftop concert, and the penultimate song they ever played live as a band (the last was a final version of "Get Back").  To me the highlight is John's raw and desperate vocal, countered by Billy Preston's soulful electric piano.  His switches between the vulnerability of verses to the passionate intensity of the choruses is sublime.  John explained his screams:  "When you're drowning, you don't say, 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me.'  You just scream."   The rest of the band is exactly on point here, too, from Pauls's superb bass line to George's descending guitar lines during the verses that set up a compelling counter-melody.  Ringo is a standout in keeping up with the frequent tempo changes and odd meters, such as the addition of an extra beat during some measures of the solo parts (e.g., "nobody ever loved me like she does").  The only slight downside of this song is knowing his obsession was with icky Yoko.  Below, Mr. krista explains the interesting composition better than I do.

Mr. krista:  "I like this song.   That is a really strange Beatles tune.  It’s unlike almost everything.  It’s the Bach contrapuntal side.  There’s an ascending and a descending part on each of the lead guitar.  And Billy Preston plays it different on each verse. And in the last one it sounds like the bass is the lead instrument.  Man, they’re a really ####### good band.  It’s a counter-melody played in the same key but in different octaves so everything stands out.  It’s just really good.  It also sounds like John Lennon is giving a command but he’s really vulnerable, like please please really don’t let me down."

Suggested cover:  Ben E. King   It occurred to me the thread needs more mullets:  Hall & Oates

Edited by krista4
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

59 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Finally got the food menu. Thank you.

Still need wardrobe.

Picture something every bit as sexy as the food.  :bag: 

56 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Criticized my Beatles song rankings.  We won't be hearing from them again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, krista4 said:

48.  Don't Let Me Down (single, 1970)

Originally submitted during the Get Back sessions but omitted by Phil Spector from Let It Be, this instead became the b-Lside to "Get Back."  This is the last song I'll be ranking that was played at the London rooftop concert, and the penultimate song they ever played live as a band (the last was a final version of "Get Back").  To me the highlight is John's raw and desperate vocal, countered by Billy Preston's soulful electric piano.  His switches between the vulnerability of verses to the passionate intensity of the choruses is sublime.  John explained his screams:  "When you're drowning, you don't say, 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me.'  You just scream."   The rest of the band is exactly on point here, too, from Pauls's superb bass line to George's descending guitar lines during the verses that set up a compelling counter-melody.  Ringo is a standout in keeping up with the frequent tempo changes and odd meters, such as the addition of an extra beat during some measures of the solo parts (e.g., "nobody ever loved me like she does").  The only slight downside of this song is knowing his obsession was with icky Yoko.  Below, Mr. krista explains the interesting composition better than I do.

Mr. krista:  "I like this song.   That is a really strange Beatles tune.  It’s unlike almost everything.  It’s the Bach contrapuntal side.  There’s an ascending and a descending part on each of the lead guitar.  And Billy Preston plays it different on each verse. And in the last one it sounds like the bass is the lead instrument.  Man, they’re a really ####### good band.  It’s a counter-melody played in the same key but in different octaves so everything stands out.  It’s just really good.  It also sounds like John Lennon is giving a command but he’s really vulnerable, like please please really don’t let me down."

Suggested cover:  Ben E. King   It occurred to me the thread needs more mullets:  Hall & Oates

extra kudos for Hall & Oates

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krista4 said:

Suggested covers:  I feel like Eddie Vedder overplays the vocal, but Pearl Jam . Found several live versions by Robyn Hitchcock; this had the best sound quality but not great.

I have a lot of catching up to do in this thread, but when I saw 49 I figured that the Pearl Jam cover would be the one featured. I like it more than you. Maybe one day me and Mrs. Kilgore will run down my favorite Pearl Jam songs.

Great thread by the way. The FFA has a pulse after all.

• Thanks 1

I absolutely love the rooftop performance of “Don’t Let Me Down”. So much passion in it, as they truly knew that was it in ending the era.

ETA: when I was in London a few years ago, I did a rock walking tour and saw the building. Pretty non-descript now, but the aura was still palpable.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

I have a lot of catching up to do in this thread, but when I saw 49 I figured that the Pearl Jam cover would be the one featured. I like it more than you. Maybe one day me and Mrs. Kilgore will run down my favorite Pearl Jam songs.

Great thread by the way. The FFA has a pulse after all.

Thanks!  Pearl Jam will be featured in another cover later; it's an obvious one.  I do like this one and think they rocked it very well; just wish he'd dialed back that vocal a little.  I wish Paul had dialed his back slightly in the original, too, so it's not them; it's me.

12 minutes ago, zamboni said:

I absolutely love the rooftop performance of “Don’t Let Me Down”. So much passion in it, as they truly knew that was it in ending the era.

ETA: when I was in London a few years ago, I did a rock walking tour and saw the building. Pretty non-descript now, but the aura was still palpable.

I do, too - it's my favorite of the performances from that concert.  Next time I'm in London I should to get the info on these walking tours you and another person or two have mentioned.  Need to go on one!

• Like 1
  • Love 1