What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (9 Viewers)

Gene Simmons - who probably is/was a perv - also wrote and sang “Christine 16” and Chuck Berry of course has “Sweet Little 16” - not sure why 16 was such a “magical” age for rock stars.

Hopefully it just sounded good to them musically.
Daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me

Gene Simmons - who probably is/was a perv - also wrote and sang “Christine 16” and Chuck Berry of course has “Sweet Little 16” - not sure why 16 was such a “magical” age for rock stars.

Hopefully it just sounded good to them musically.
i had groupie sex about a hundred times during my early-mid 70s touring career. I'm almost certain there was some who were 16ish and wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some 14s in there. Don't feel bad about it at all, even though there wasn't a reason i was being rewarded with their fervor - i was merely talent-adjacent. It was a lot more their idea than mine, so i pretty much had an Irish publican "if you can see over the bar" attitude towards it all (i was barely 20 myself). I will say the younger girls brought a greater, Beatlemaniacal enthusiasm than pro camp followers to admittedly sleazy transactions that could become almost rote, but i never thought of any of them as a child nor knew anyone who did. I've considered the past a lot since the #metoo and can't find a way to feel bad about it.

There were rockers who got so jaded about it the ponderous amount of tang being served to them that they developed pretty edgy tastes. As i've noted in my "Insufficient Writhing" story, a Little Feat hanger-on threw scruples entirely aside, would announce his room# (his one perk for keeping the always-awake Lowell George engaged on tour was a king-sized bed at each tour stop) backstage and instruct any females who wanted his favor to go there, get nekkid, start without him and, if there was sufficient writhing & moaning to be heard from the hall, he would enter the room wearing nothing but a bowler hat, stand on a chair and dive into the fleshpit like a 6yo @ a swimming lesson.

With others, the youth bugaboo did indeed overtake them. Never worked with anyone who sought that, but heard stories. But then, I also heard stories about girls who would tolerate use of live fish as sex toys. I'd heard a member of a prominent SoCal band would have virgins lain adjacent on a long banquet table for assembly line deflowering. I actually used that in one of the two novels i've attempted, an intimate history of Revolutionary Europe through the eyes of a courtesan who got to know principles of the era from Louis XV to de Sade to Marat to Napoleon during the conduct of her profession. She began her career in the Parc Aux Cerf, Louis XV's stable of virgins he employed because of his fear of venereal disease. The twist was that one of his virgins gave him smallpox, a far uglier demise than syphilis could dream of providing.

My point, except performance of my daily ramble, is that i now think folks should probably ask but i see nothing venal nor venerable, merely venereal, in what we did backinday.

Last edited by a moderator:
krista4 said:
45.  Tomorrow Never Knows (Revolver, 1966)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube
Covers: Junior Parker with a beautiful stripped down version and Japanese guitar legend Char with a hard rock version.
To elaborate a little on my post from before the incident, this is my favorite Beatles song by far, and one of my favorite songs by any artist.  When I first started getting interested in music in high school in the mid-80s, the first 2 CDs I bought were Dark Side of the Moon and Revolver (Rubber Soul lost the coin flip). Up to that point, I had only heard the Beatles' radio hits. The first time I heard Tomorrow Never Knows it blew my little mind, musically and lyrically. It still blows my mind. 

I'm going to do write-ups for the ones posted last night, but they'll likely be a bit truncated and lazy.  Starting with #35 I'll go back to normal.

Had a great evening yesterday; there was both a movie and pizza.  Then came home and read the thread and definitely overreacted, and I apologize for that.  There are a ton of people who contribute interesting thoughts, stories, etc. here, and many people with much more knowledge than I have, who are better writers, funnier, etc.  I greatly appreciate that, but I don't mind if people don't share much of substance.  What I do mind are the constant complainers who don't add substance, but there aren't many of those.  They just happened to wear on me too much last night. 

ETA:  I used "etc." twice in the same sentence.  I really am lazy, etc.
fyp

it looks like the ship may have righted itself...but i'll pile on.  this thread, got me to delve into some long ignored, feelings.  feelings, that i prefer to let lie fallow.  not well up, all willy nilly,  at the kitchen table, while my 12 year old daughter is asking me to go ice skating.  love this thread!  love you k4!

Started off well:  heard my #1 and #2 songs on the way to the winery, no Rocky Raccoon, AND the one time I changed to my backup channel (Underground Garage) because the Beatles channel had a stupid cover on, the other channel was playing It’s All Too Much!

Started off well:  heard my #1 and #2 songs on the way to the winery, no Rocky Raccoon, AND the one time I changed to my backup channel (Underground Garage) because the Beatles channel had a stupid cover on, the other channel was playing It’s All Too Much!
I’m going to read too much into this and suggest that the Abbey Road medley is not in your top two, then. I don’t know this internet radio thing, but I suspect that they’d break up that medley which implies you’re talking about two “standard” songs. To which I’d say: you have the Abbey Road medley much too low (high)...it’s obviously top two worthy. /end sarcasm, poking the bear.

pecorino said:
I’m going to read too much into this and suggest that the Abbey Road medley is not in your top two, then. I don’t know this internet radio thing, but I suspect that they’d break up that medley which implies you’re talking about two “standard” songs. To which I’d say: you have the Abbey Road medley much too low (high)...it’s obviously top two worthy. /end sarcasm, poking the bear.
One thing that I learned about this thread and Krista is that she does not give a crap about what we think when it comes to how SHE iranks her favorite Beatles songs. 

I have a feeling her favorite song isn't in my top 25.  

Has it been noted yet that krista said there would be two Rubber Soul songs in her top ten and there’s only two Rubber Soul songs left?  So we know three of the top ten are:

Nowhere Man

In My Life

A Day in the Life

pecorino said:
I thought someone could assume that.  Beatles channel often plays all of it together except “You Never Give Me Your Money,” but if they played even one of the medley songs I’d count it as my favorite.

Uruk-Hai said:
Right, but he wrote it in past tense. The "just"  in "she was just 17" does muddy the waters, though.

Split the difference and say he was 18 in the song?
But it’s the “if you know what I mean” that’s creepy.

I can’t imagine telling someone “My students are 13 and 14 year olds...if you know what I mean...”

Last edited by a moderator:
pecorino said:
Thought the same thing.  Should've went with the other one.

Question for those of you who love the Abbey Road medley: what do you think of the Admiral Halsey medley that Paul did, and also the opening parts of Band on the Run? Do you like that as much? I always have thesr 3 together in my mind. 

"sev-en-teen/what i mean" is perfect lyrically/phonetically for the song. And it was written during a time where I can't imagine they gave any thought as to whether or not the literal meaning of the line would be scrutinized. The song is about a guy seeing a girl, crushing on her and dancing with her. It's a joyful, harmless song about youth.

Question for those of you who love the Abbey Road medley: what do you think of the Admiral Halsey medley that Paul did, and also the opening parts of Band on the Run? Do you like that as much? I always have thesr 3 together in my mind. 
I always liked it, not thrilled with the circus/vaudeville parts though.   

Just listened to it again - feel the same.  Man, that guy loves that vaudeville-type stuff.  

"sev-en-teen/what i mean" is perfect lyrically/phonetically for the song. And it was written during a time where I can't imagine they gave any thought as to whether or not the literal meaning of the line would be scrutinized. The song is about a guy seeing a girl, crushing on her and dancing with her. It's a joyful, harmless song about youth.
"not a beauty queen" was the original 2nd line, so yeah, perfectly harmless. you think about it, know'm'sayin?

"not a beauty queen" was the original 2nd line, so yeah, perfectly harmless. you think about it, know'm'sayin?
McCartney: We were learning our skill. John would like some of my lines and not others. He liked most of what I did, but there would sometimes be a cringe line, such as, 'She was just seventeen, she'd never been a beauty queen.' John thought, 'Beauty queen? Ugh.' We were thinking of Butlins so we asked ourselves, what should it be? We came up with, 'You know what I mean.' Which was good, because you don't know what I mean.

McCartney: We were learning our skill. John would like some of my lines and not others. He liked most of what I did, but there would sometimes be a cringe line, such as, 'She was just seventeen, she'd never been a beauty queen.' John thought, 'Beauty queen? Ugh.' We were thinking of Butlins so we asked ourselves, what should it be? We came up with, 'You know what I mean.' Which was good, because you don't know what I mean.
yeah, we do.

she's a "goer"

Not this song specifically, but one of the other benefits of this thread is gaining a new appreciation for songs I had previously dismissed as "bubblegum". For example I would rank "I Feel Fine" much higher now that I have kristaEar. Most of their earlier stuff was just throwaway music to me before which now seems ridiculous. 
Exactly. 

I should clarify that when I say harmless I didn't mean non-sexual.

But it’s the “if you know what I mean” that’s creepy.

I can’t imagine telling someone “My students are 13 and 14 year olds...if you know what I mean...”
"you know what I mean" is the creepy part.  And yes, of course I know the backstory on the change in lyrics.

Not this song specifically, but one of the other benefits of this thread is gaining a new appreciation for songs I had previously dismissed as "bubblegum". For example I would rank "I Feel Fine" much higher now that I have kristaEar. Most of their earlier stuff was just throwaway music to me before which now seems ridiculous. 
Big fan of the word kristaEar.  It's best utilized amongst sonic cornucopia. 

Just got home and have to take of some stuff, but will catch up in a bit.  I was listening to my playlist, which I keep in order of ranking, on the way home, and I think I need to make a couple of adjustments after #37.  Eleanor Rigby fans would be happy to see it go up a couple of notches, except it's at the partial expense of another song that I think is even more beloved.

Users who are viewing this thread