What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gillette Commercial (2 Viewers)

I basically don't interact with females in the workplace anymore outside of conversations specific to work. Seriously, nothing off topic. I'm not a sexual harasser, nor have I ever exhibited any behavior in my life that would promote it or make it look acceptable. 

I simply don't want to be involved or noticed for anything. A girl I work with that sits close by dyed her hair, it looked good - I noticed right away, immediately turned my head, looked away, and didn't say a word. 5 years ago, I would've said "hey, you dyed your hair, it looks nice" in a completely non-sexual friendly manner... today, #### that. I don't need anyone thinking into a friendly comment. Yea, it would prob be taken for what it was, a friendly comment, but why would I even take a chance it was perceived as more? 
Not too far away now...

FC42, we need to see you in HR.

Hey, what's going on?

You've been a tremendous employee for us for almost a decade, helped in more ways than we can list, but we're going to have let you go.

I'm sorry, what's this about?

Apparently you offended Samantha from Accounts Payable when you complimented her hair.

What?

We've also referred this to the local police department, they'll be calling you later. Good luck getting a new job or explaining to your wife why you're such a filthy pig!

I'm good, no need to ever interact with a female in the workplace ever again. 

I feel ya.  I've gotten to the point where I think what I'm going to say in my head, then spend 30 minutes running over the scenarios to see if it could be taken out of context in any possible way.  And of course there's always a way, so I tend to just keep my mouth shut.

For example, our front desk lady is off on Fridays, so this other girl comes over from a different department to watch the desk on Friday afternoon.  I was going to say I liked seeing her there because it reminded me that the work week is almost over.  If it would've been a dude, I would have had the same thought.  But I was afraid it would be taken in a way that was creepy or anti-metoo-ish, so I just walk by her now and pretend I'm looking at my watch or doing difficult math in my head, like 6*9.  No.  6*8.  

TheIronSheik said:
I've gotten to the point where I think what I'm going to say in my head, then spend 30 minutes running over the scenarios to see if it could be taken out of context in any possible way.  And of course there's always a way, so I tend to just keep my mouth shut.
Exactly the same thing EG stated about this place a few weeks ago before he left.

fantasycurse42 said:
I basically don't interact with females in the workplace anymore outside of conversations specific to work. Seriously, nothing off topic. I'm not a sexual harasser, nor have I ever exhibited any behavior in my life that would promote it or make it look acceptable. 

I simply don't want to be involved or noticed for anything. A girl I work with that sits close by dyed her hair, it looked good - I noticed right away, immediately turned my head, looked away, and didn't say a word. 5 years ago, I would've said "hey, you dyed your hair, it looks nice" in a completely non-sexual friendly manner... today, #### that. I don't need anyone thinking into a friendly comment. Yea, it would prob be taken for what it was, a friendly comment, but why would I even take a chance it was perceived as more? 
Basically this. I'd rather be known as the not-so-friendly guy than the "disciplined for sexual harassment guy". 

Ilov80s said:
Men need to hold other men accountable to say the right thing, act the right way- certainly is part of, policing our own
"Policing our own" has always been a big thing with me and it goes way beyond just men. Any profession, any group of people you can think of. If you don't want "outsiders" wagging their finger at your particular group you step up and be proactive in making sure your buds aren't doing things that you know are wrong. This goes for everyone.

Andy Dufresne said:
Question asked: "Is this the best that man can get?"

Stereotypically boorish behavior displayed...

Feeling of revulsion sets in with the internal dialog of "Of course not. I've always thought that stuff was offensive and wrong. Who are they to lump me in with those guys?"

:shrug:
Then you aren't the target audience. But I bet you know guys who are, and now you're thinking about it. Mission accomplished. 

You don't think about it or you don't know/encountered/ever expect to encounter someone who is a bully?
That wasn't what was said. I said I don't know anyone of that type personally.

As someone who was bullied as a kid and had to home school a kid due to bullying, yes it's often on my mind. But not because of a razor commercial.

As someone who was bullied as a kid and had to home school a kid due to bullying, yes it's often on my mind. But not because of a razor commercial.
I know it isn't what you said- just trying to expand the thought process around it. It's just a general awareness campaign. Hey be a good guy and if you see others not being good guys, correct them. I am sorry to hear about the bullying you have dealt with in life. As someone has been bullied and did a lot of bullying, it really sucks. I would think you would be open to the positive message.

To me it is like if I see a commercial that says to eat healthy and exercise so I don't get diabetes, it wouldn't make me mad because nobody I know has diabetes and I already maintain a healthy lifestyle. It doesn't really impact me but maybe it will help someone else. 

TheIronSheik said:
Just think, in 20 years we'll all look back and be like, "Remember when Gillette changed the world and made men better?"  
Not even Gillette believes that. That doesn't preclude the concept of taking a corporate stance against misogyny. 

You really think that's what they are doing?

Because I believe they are taking a corporate stance to sell razors.
I am sure that went into the calculus but they also accepted the reality that it could alienate a lot of their client base.

This is not slam dunk money maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/685976624/backlash-erupts-after-gillette-launches-a-new-metoo-inspired-ad-campaign

Ok so I live in a pretty conservative state and the daily talk shows are having a meltdown over the Gillette commercial.  I don't get it?  The commercial seems on point.  What am I missing?  Again I live in a conservative bubble and I still don't understand the outrage. 
main thing i take away is men are bad and need to improve.   

a) i don't like being lectured by a razor company that presumably sells mostly to men like me

b) the person that created the ad is a man hating feminist, so there's no question what the message is

c) Gillette makes crappy overpriced razors regardless.

I am sure that went into the calculus but they also accepted the reality that it could alienate a lot of their client base.

This is not slam dunk money maker.
Their marketing dept is probably doing backflips they are so excited.

rarely do shaving companies get this much press.

Give them a raise.

I think you are factually wrong to be honest.  

At bullying to start, it's a black guy.

The metoo movement guy (second guy is white).

The next two are white when the overdub is "toxic masculinity"

The next guy is from an original Gillette commercial and white. (When they say it's the best a man can get.)

The kids breaking through the screen are predominately white, though one looks Asian.

The sexual harassment montage is all white guys best I can tell.

The board room is all white.

The three guys that say boys will be boys, the non speaker is white, the first guy to speak is white, and the camera spend the most time on the black guy saying boys will be boys.

The lineup of guys saying boys will be boys is predominately white, though there is at least one middle eastern guy I can make out without squinting.

The theater room is all white, with women for some reason.

Then, because we line has a minority guy (middle eastern?)

We believe….. white kid.

..best in men....black kid.

Then Terry Crews saying men need to hold other men accountable.

The smile sweetie part looks like a white guy saying it and a black guy stopping him with a white guy next to him presumably with him given the body language.

Act the right way, white guy gets a little creepy and black guy tells him not cool.

White dad sees the bullies.

Black guys stop other black guys from fighting/disrespectful to each other, whatever.

Black dad telling his daughter that she is strong.

Then white dad stops two white boys fighting in the backyard.

White dad stops the bullies from beating a kid.

The boys watching today are white, then black, then Asian, then white, with the last line being "men of tomorrow."

Now I don't know who the "worst guy" is in all of that, but just looking at it written out, the actors stand out more to me then the faces that aren't doing anything while the narrator is talking, so that would - the black guy that says boys will be boys, the large line of guys saying boys will be boys that is mostly white, the sexual harassment montage, all white, then Terry crews saying men need to be accountable (black guy).

The "good guys" would be the black dad with his daughter, the black guy that stops the white guy on the street from oogling, the black kids that stop other black kids, Terry Crews, the white dad who stops the bullies, and the white dad who breaks up the fight.

It starts with a negative message with the face of a black guy and ends with a positive message with the face of a white kid.

Frankly, again, I think you are wrong.  And honestly, after writing this out, I think you are very wrong.  To me, it seems like you are looking for a reason to be offended because someone had the audacity to call out your/our tribe in some way.  

I like the commercial, but that really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here that has read my missives on marriage and men.  We guys seem to think that we are owed respect and power and then feign stupidity and ignorance when we are challenged at all, both white and black.  If we truly want to be leaders and respected then we need to come to grips with the fact that some men can truly suck.  

Sexual harassment is a problem.  And men do it exponentially more than women.  We've created whole marketing campaigns and societal norms around it.  Abuse in the home is a massive problem, and men are exponentially more the abuser than the abused.  We've created whole laws to try to stand against it and do a terrible job of enforcing them.  Downgrading the opinion of women in the workforce isn't a fairy tale, it happened for years and still does though to a much much lesser extent.  Our sons act like us, talk like us and more often than not, believe like us. 

The commercial doesn't say all men they suck and are the problem.  It's asking all men to look out for each other, and show the boys how to be better.  All boys.  All colors.

And in the midst of all of this nonsense about this commercial being an attack on men, it has other messages in it that we are ignoring.  Like the fact that the black dad telling his daughter she is strong has to happen more.  Black men need to be fathers more - and they need to do it now.  Gang violence and the inner city problems that black youths face in this country is directly connected to the lack of fathers being fathers in that community.  The boardrooms that silenced women for so long wasted a ton of human capital and ability to grow and we need to understand that people from all walks, and sexes and faiths have something to share in a community however defined.  That "boys will be boys" is fine to a degree, but when its reaches bullying level and actual physical violence it needs to stop and men need to be the ones to stop it.

That a handshake is always a better way to stop an argument or disagreement than something far worse.

That men can be men fairly easily.  Own your sh&t.  Be a father.  Treat people with respect.  If you want to be considered a leader then be one.  I'm sorry, but the outrage over this commercial is truly childish to me and it shows the need for the message.  The shame of the whole thing is that a stupid razor company made it.  God do we need to grow up.
Careful GB

I know people at work who bully others and/or treat women badly.  I've had to give them talking-to sessions of varying intensity and occasionally get HR involved.  But that's work, and I don't really get to choose who my coworkers are.

I'm in the same boat as you that I don't know anybody like that in my personal out-of-the-office life.  Partly it's that I'm introverted and I don't have a huge social circle, but mainly it's that I don't hang around that sort of person.  My guess is that you're the same way. 

Not even Gillette believes that. That doesn't preclude the concept of taking a corporate stance against misogyny. 

Absolutely. No doubt. I just like it when corporations are willing to pick a side despite zero financial incentives to do so. Decades ago, several businesses in Atlanta were protesting Martin Luther King, Jr's holiday. Coca-Cola took a stand and told these businesses that either they recognize this holiday or Coke would move its factory to another state. Corporations can be a force for good while remaining profitable. 

The days of "Shut up and sell me razors" ended with Citizens United.

If we're going to give corporations the rights of citizens then we should encourage them to get off the sidelines and start acting like citizens.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I was a big fan of Gillette's marketing when I was around 18 and they sent me a new razor. I liked it so much, I've been buying refills ever since.

Free razor >>>>> being lectured.

Has gilette ever caught flack for their slogan even though they make womens products now? My guess would be yes. This would seem like a coy way of saying hey we support women and keep their male centric slogan. 

fantasycurse42 said:

I had to explain what the shocker was to our sales lady the other day

You don't think about it or you don't know/encountered/ever expect to encounter someone who is a bully?

i appreciate what you are saying and with all due respect given what you said i am sort of confused why you would be against shining a light on any sort of anti bullying message take that to the bank bromigo

They are doing it for several reasons. The biggest is raising the value of their brand which involves selling more razors and public perception. 

Their fusion proglide blades are the best in the business.  If this ad gets people to realize it they have done a good job.

i tried dollar shave club.  Their blades are trash vs Gillette. 

If that is their objective, they are failing.

"Reaction to “We Believe in the Best in Men” has been overwhelmingly negative, with comments on its own Youtube channel running negative by an astonishing ten to one margin.  There are those who really like the ad really like the campaign a lot and argue that it is simply trying to reinforce positive behavior.  However, the much larger group who dislikes it includes many men who are saying the ad is insulting to men and full of stereotypes.  What is perhaps most dangerous for Gillette, however, is the large number of posters who are threatening to never buy the product again."

FC42, we need to see you in HR.

Hey, what's going on?

You've been a tremendous employee for us for almost a decade, helped in more ways than we can list, but we're going to have let you go.

I'm sorry, what's this about?

Apparently you offended Samantha from Accounts Payable when you complimented her hair.

What?

We've also referred this to the local police department, they'll be calling you later. Good luck getting a new job or explaining to your wife why you're such a filthy pig!

You know if that’s the way you think it really probably is best you just keep your mouth shut. 

You were defending Bill Clinton literally yesterday.  This commercial is talking to people like you.
I said consorting with the enemy was worse than canoodling with an intern. I like to think of it more as indicting 45. 

But hey I’m am truly sorry y’all are so victimized. It must be tough be emotionally crippled to the point you fear basic daily interactions with half the human race. 

But I’ll tell you this guys. You treat women with respect and show a shred of humility and they will be your best allies. They certainly won’t be out to snitch out your every flaw. And bonus, you’ll probably get a lot more trim in the long run. 

I have zero fear in the workplace from spiteful women or whatever the boogeyman (woman?) is supposed to be. None. 

Caught canoodling with an intern?  I thought he was caught getting a Lewinski from an intern.

Now that I read a few pages of this thread (sorry, not going to try and catch up on all 7), it really makes me think I should see this commercial. I suppose Gillette's plan was effective in that regard. I hadn't thought about this company in, well, ever other than as a brand on a pack of blades.

Can't say I am surprised at the backlash.  There were many people caught off guard with regard to the amount of blatant racism that still exists in this country when it was exposed last election cycle.  I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't assume the backlash from men being called out for their sexism.  What is sort of surprising (a little bit anyway) is the amount of "yeah, they aren't talking about me, but I'm still offended" nonsense.  Completely illogical.  That is just looking for something to be offended by.

Can't say I am surprised at the backlash.  There were many people caught off guard with regard to the amount of blatant racism that still exists in this country when it was exposed last election cycle.  I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't assume the backlash from men being called out for their sexism.  What is sort of surprising (a little bit anyway) is the amount of "yeah, they aren't talking about me, but I'm still offended" nonsense.  Completely illogical.  That is just looking for something to be offended by.
Non-sense?  Perhaps.  But the same people calling it non-sense are routinely offended by stereotypical ads/TV/movies which put minorities/women in a bad light.  It is the blantant hypocrisy that is offensive.  No way in heck would they dare show a black male harassing a woman, especially a white one.  Why it it OK to show six white males being the sexual predator/harasser and only black males stepping in to protect women?   

If that is their objective, they are failing.

"Reaction to “We Believe in the Best in Men” has been overwhelmingly negative, with comments on its own Youtube channel running negative by an astonishing ten to one margin.  There are those who really like the ad really like the campaign a lot and argue that it is simply trying to reinforce positive behavior.  However, the much larger group who dislikes it includes many men who are saying the ad is insulting to men and full of stereotypes.  What is perhaps most dangerous for Gillette, however, is the large number of posters who are threatening to never buy the product again."
He bases his concept of Gillette failing solely, and exclusively, on the fact that YouTube comments are allegedly negative by a 10 to 1 margin.

All YouTube comments are negative by a 10 to 1 margin.

Maybe we should revisit this when we have some actual financial data.

He bases his concept of Gillette failing solely, and exclusively, on the fact that YouTube comments are allegedly negative by a 10 to 1 margin.

All YouTube comments are negative by a 10 to 1 margin.

Maybe we should revisit this when we have some actual financial data.
Oh I will.  But at that time you will have all ghosted this thread.  

Users who are viewing this thread