What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR/TE JJ Arcega-Whiteside, SEA (2 Viewers)

It's going to take a lot of patience and roster maneuvering to hold onto him this year (deep keeper league).

Love the talent, just not sure he's going to get much play this year unless Jeffery or DJax gets hurt. And maybe not sure even then with Agholor still hanging around.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside had one catch for four yards in Week 2 against the Falcons.

He was targeted four times. Arcega-Whiteside had an expanded role with DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery sidelined. He played behind both Nelson Agholor and Mack Hollins, but Arcega-Whiteside is the receiver with the biggest upside. Arcega-Whiteside is worth a speculative add if one of Jackson or Jeffery misses time.

Sep 16, 2019, 12:15 AM ET

Hmmm...wonder if I should pick him up now in  a redraft where I have Alshon.  Agholor has been fumbling around for years.  Does Whiteside have enough upside to make a big run in the last half of the year?  I could drop MVS.  Who has more upside in the last half of the the year - Whiteside or MVS?

Hmmm...wonder if I should pick him up now in  a redraft where I have Alshon.  Agholor has been fumbling around for years.  Does Whiteside have enough upside to make a big run in the last half of the year?  I could drop MVS.  Who has more upside in the last half of the the year - Whiteside or MVS?
Absolutely not.  Pretty much what Eagles fans have said since day one, don't count on anyone on this roster outside of Wentz and Ertz to be consistently startable.  

Looks like DJax is expected to miss the next two games.

Prime opportunity for JJAW to put on his big boy pants and show what he’s got. He didn’t look ready for prime time last Sunday night. 

Deamon said:
Absolutely not.  Pretty much what Eagles fans have said since day one, don't count on anyone on this roster outside of Wentz and Ertz to be consistently startable.  
Not sure I agree. Jeffery is hurt as usual and so is Jackson. It’s not like wrs can’t be successful on the eagles, just none have been very good since Jackson left. Could be a solid wr3.

Not sure I agree. Jeffery is hurt as usual and so is Jackson. It’s not like wrs can’t be successful on the eagles, just none have been very good since Jackson left. Could be a solid wr3.
Don't see it at all.  They still have ertz and Nelson miles ahead of him. He would be the 3rd receiving option on a team and that's IF goedert, djax, AND Alshon all stay hurt. Big pass in redraft. 

Prime opportunity for JJAW to put on his big boy pants and show what he’s got. He didn’t look ready for prime time last Sunday night. 
He certainly looked like a rookie. DK looked better in his time. 

Hoping he looks better. Reminded me of MVS last year where he almost looked lost. Hoping 1st game jitters. His potential is incredible. Can only force it to Ertz so much

Everyone said Ertz was going to regress badly this season. 16 targets last week, and heavy usage as long as Jeffery and Jackson are on the mend (and they’re seemingly ALWAYS on the mend).

JJAW will have a small role, but he’s a rook. Lots to learn

I got Agholor through the waiver process and will slot him in as my WR3 in my PPR league.  I have Wentz.

No one claimed Whiteside so I picked him up for free.  I know very little about him and will do some reading including this thread.  He did play a ton of snaps after Jeffery and Jackson went down but wasn't a factor.  Maybe after a week of practice with the 1s they will integrate him.  I know he's a 2nd round pick.  Thoughts on him moving forward?

kid looked a little lost on snf.....mack hollins made some plays....pecking order will be ertz....agholor.....sproles...holllis/jjaws.......

im thinking pass in redraft...but him getting on the field already is huge for his dynasty development

Last edited by a moderator:
The hype is for dynasty. Maybe a speculative add in redraft if you have deep benches. I certainly wouldn't be plugging him into my lineup just yet.
Definitely a dynasty hold.

Redraft there seemed to be a lot of speculation that JJAW was “one injury away” from a highly relevant role. 

Now there were two injuries and he still seems to be 4th or 5th in the pecking order. He didn’t look polished on Sunday night, and it seemed like they threw to several ahead of him, including Sproles. 

But yeah - I wish I had him in Dynasty. He’s gonna be good at some point. Just not sure if it’s this year. 

Probably more redraft value in a Benny Johnson or other WR who’s gonna have a substantial target share. 

kid looked a little lost on snf.....mack hollins made some plays....pecking order will be ertz....agholor.....sproles...holllis/jjaws.......

im thinking pass in redraft...but him getting on the field already is huge for his dynasty development
This.

I don't see much upside to him at all in redraft.  Could he snag a TD?  Of course.  But he isn't going to suddenly going to get peppered with targets.  Djax will miss time and he will slide into the #4 option for Philly. 

Hard to gauge after one injury filled game where he had to come in the way he did. That's hard on any offense. He wasn't the only Eagle that struggled. I want to see what he does after a week of prep and game planning.

I think he’ll be a TD dependent flex play the next few weeks.  But he even said he hdnt had a lot of reps in some of the the plays they had him in.  

Now he’s getting reps with the ones.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside had one catch for 10 yards in Philadelphia's Week 3 loss to Detroit.

Arcega-Whiteside was an utter non-factor in this one, capitulated by his drop on 4th-and-15 with less than a minute to play in regulation to seal Detroit's victory. An athletic specimen who performed well in the preseason, JJAW's best left untouched unless playing in dynasty or single-game DFS slates.

Sep 22, 2019, 6:50 PM ET

JJ Arcega-Whiteside (heel) returned to "full" practice on Tuesday.

Arcega-Whiteside was just getting a breather on Monday. Coming off a disappointing effort against the Lions, Arcega-Whiteside will now have to contend with Alshon Jeffery's return against a tough opponent in the Packers. He is off the Week 4 re-draft radar.

Sep 24, 2019, 3:56 PM ET

The middle link above says that Pederson has called JJAW the direct backup to Jeffery and that he will only see the field if Jeffery gets hurt. Could be BS and this was 4 weeks ago but is there anything to see here? Is this guy going to get some run against the Patriots? He was one of my preseason darlings that has barely seen the field but I wonder if we'll get to see something now.

Eagles rookie J.J. Arcega-Whiteside ready to contribute

PHILADELPHIA — While some players left town for a few days during the Eagles’ open week, rookie wide receiver J.J. Arcega-Whiteside spent the bulk of the break at the NovaCare Complex.

He wanted to get comfortable enough with the offense that he might get a chance to shed the “bust” label that’s been attached to him for much of the season.

“I probably studied 500 plays a day,” Arcega-Whiteside said Thursday.

The second-round draft pick out of Stanford University enters Sunday’s game against New England with just two receptions for 14 yards. His last catch was a 10-yarder against Detroit on Sept. 22.

Despite a rash of injuries at that position, he’s been stuck on the sideline for most of the year behind Nelson Agholor, Alshon Jeffery and Mack Hollins, even though Hollins hasn’t caught a pass in the last five games.

“It’s been frustrating,” Arcega-Whiteside said. “But I could do one of two things. I could (hang) my head or I could keep working and learning.”

One of the problems was that Arcega-Whiteside was initially focused on just learning the X wide receiver position, which is where Jeffery plays. When DeSean Jackson suffered his abdominal injury in the second game of the season at Atlanta, coaches expanded his playbook to include Jackson’s Z position and Agholor’s Y spot.

Considering each position has about 300 plays during a game, it took some time for him to catch up.

“Learning a new position and not getting any reps at it is tough as a rookie player,” Eagles offensive coordinator Mike Groh said last month.

Arcega-Whiteside has apparently started to make progress.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pounder was on the field for 15 offensive snaps in the Eagles’ 22-14 victory over Chicago on Nov. 3, though he had no catches.

He could get more playing time against the Patriots, considering Jackson is on injured reserve and Jeffery hasn’t practiced yet this week due to an ankle injury.

“I think everything started to click for me during the Bears game,” Arcega-White said. “Before, I was always thinking about my assignment on every play, but now it’s all coming naturally for me. I feel like I’m much farther along than I was earlier this season.”

If Jeffery can’t play, Arcega-Whiteside figures to split reps with Agholor, Hollins and Jordan Matthews, who just re-signed with the Eagles earlier this week for his third tour with the team.

In 2018, Matthews had 20 receptions for 300 yards and two touchdowns for the Eagles, then caught a 37-yard TD pass from quarterback Nick Foles in the playoffs against New Orleans.

Throughout his Eagles career, he’s formed a great relationship with quarterback Carson Wentz on and off the field.

“I’m excited to have him back because obviously he’s a good friend of mine,” Wentz said Wednesday. “First of all, he’s very familiar with the offense, which is nice. But he’s also an exceptional teammate on the field and in the locker room.”

JJ Arcega-Whiteside caught 2-of-3 targets for 29 yards in the Eagles' Week 14 win over the Giants.

Despite being one of only three healthy receivers to enter this game for the Eagles and then seeing Alshon Jeffery leave early in the first half with a foot injury, JJAW was still just sixth on the team in targets. He also ended up getting hurt in overtime, limping off the field and grabbing at his hamstring. The rookie wideout is not a redraft option.

Dec 10, 2019, 12:25 AM ET

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said JJ Arcega-Whiteside (hamstring) is "fine".

Assuming he doesn't suffer a setback in practice, Arcega-Whiteside will be at or near the top of the receiver depth chart with Alshon Jeffery (foot) out for the season and Nelson Agholor (knee) "up in the air" for Sunday against the Redskins. Expectations for JJAW need to be limited even if he is the de-facto No. 1 receiver in Week 15 because Philly has purposely given him few looks this season. Expect Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, and Miles Sanders to see handle most of the work.

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Dec 10, 2019, 6:41 PM ET

its hard being big and slow, the gallup comp is odd.....
4.49 is slow?

if so... half of the top 12 wrs right now would beg to differ with the above

and is it an odd comparison? Gallup spent much of his rookie season as a backup who didnt make much of his opportunities. Was an early 2nd in most rookie drafts. Many people gave up on him after his first season. You want to tall "big and slow," he is 6'1 4.51 40 (JJAW 6'2 4.49). Their stats were different but Gallup saw more snaps than JJAW his rookie year, and only had to learn one wr spot.

Guys get too caught up on a comp being 100% dead on. He was a guy I remember people were calling a bust after 2018, much as people are calling JJAW a bust now. he hasnt shown a lot so far, and it has been disappointing, but I would certainly give JJAW at least 1 more season before giving up. Next year is looking very favorable for opportunities and, more importantly, consistent playing time at one position. 

4.49 is slow?

and is it an odd comparison? Gallup spent much of his rookie season as a backup who didnt make much of his opportunities. Was an early 2nd in most rookie drafts. Many people gave up on him after his first season. You want to tall "big and slow," he is 6'1 4.51 40 (JJAW 6'2 4.49). Their stats were different but Gallup saw more snaps than JJAW his rookie year, and only had to learn one wr spot.

Guys get too caught up on a comp being 100% dead on. He was a guy I remember people were calling a bust after 2018, much as people are calling JJAW a bust now. he hasnt shown a lot so far, and it has been disappointing, but I would certainly give JJAW at least 1 more season before giving up. Next year is looking very favorable for opportunities and, more importantly, consistent playing time at one position. 
tldr......he looiks like he is playing slow to my untrained eye.....40 yard dash is pretty meaningless...i own shares of him im a league and he has been on the field a ton...

4.49 is slow?

Alshon with the foot injury - the extent of it still unknown - does create an opportunity for him to get reps and focus in the offseason. It looks pretty wide open there for him in 2020 and beyond.

Yeah, but ..... I for one am likely dropping him this week (going into My Super Bowl). Not really worth a Hold in this Dynasty League,

as I was the only one in the league who seemed to be rating him, and I'd rather free this roster spot up to buy someone else in the next Auction.

Nutshell: Waiver Wire speed dial next season

Users who are viewing this thread