What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devin Singletary, NYG (4 Viewers)

Potential to be every down back or too small?
Potential is there,  but it seems like the staff has trust issues with him and Frank Gore stays on the fringes.

He was super productive in limited touches earlier in the year, then he got hurt, then he came back - had the breakout game...everyone thought the golden ticket had arrived, and the wheels came off last week.

I'm playing him this week (Freeman injury), the match-up is great, but my confidence/trust is tied to the same from BUF coaching staff and a QB that is a box of chocolates.

Devin Singletary rushed 21 times for 106 yards, adding one catch for eight yards in Buffalo's Week 12 win over the Broncos.

Singletary played a huge role in Buffalo's dominating win over the Broncos, gashing Denver's front-seven for gains of 8 and 10 yards out of the break to help setup Josh Allen's 18-yard touchdown strike to Cole Beasley (6/76/1) to push their lead to 13-0. Not only was Sunday the first career 100-yard rushing performance for the third-rounder, it happened to occur on the same day Frank Gore surpassed Barry Sanders (15,269) for No. 3 all-time in rushing yards with 15,289. Gore's still Buffalo's crowned goal-line back, but Singletary's quietly out-touched the vet 72 to 44 since Week 9. Consider the rookie a low-end RB2 on Thanksgiving against the Cowboys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Devin Singletary rushed 18 times for 89 yards in the Bills' Week 14 loss to the Ravens, adding six receptions for 29 additional yards.

The 118 yards from scrimmage were Singletary's second most of the season, while his 38-yard rumble in the fourth quarter was his longest as a pro. His six receptions were a new career high. Although he doesn't generally break away for big plays, Singletary is slippery enough to routinely gain 4-5 yards. Playing more and more of the Bills' snaps, Singletary has solidified his RB2 stock for the fantasy playoffs, though the Steelers are an imposing Week 15 matchup.

Devin Singletary rushed 21 times for 87 yards and caught a pair of passes for two yards in Buffalo's Week 15 win over the Steelers.

The Bills again featured Singletary, who had snaps rates of at least 70 percent over the last three weeks. He was stopped just short of the goal-line on a 14-yard run that set up a Josh Allen touchdown. Singletary had a pair of fumbles but only lost one on a play where TJ Watt punched ball out from behind. The Bills still stuck with Singletary despite his ball security issues. Singletary has been one of the hotter backs in the league with at least 60 yards in five straight games. He’ll be an RB2 for a matchup with New England in Week 16.

He needs to fix the fumbles.  
As a transparency note, I do own Singletary in a heavy keeper league.

I actually wasn't too fazed by the fumbles, but would be curious to know if others share this perspective.  I watched Singletary pretty closely last night as I have to make a keeper decision on him next year and haven't had a chance to see him play an entire game.

On the first fumble, my perspective was the result was more of a great play by Watt than a negative play by Singletary.  Singletary had the ball wrapped with his fingers and notched in his elbow, and fairly close to his body.  Watt's strip attempt from behind was perhaps unexpected.  I imagine there aren't many RBs in the NFL that aren't going to get stripped on a play like that.

On the second fumble, if you watch the replay, Singletary's leg is twisted in an extremely awkward direction.  Despite the strip attempt, he held on to the ball until the point where his leg was bent to the max out of a shape that any leg should be bent.  Frankly, I'm amazed he didn't get hurt on the play.

The fact that the coaching staff kept trotting him out there also indicated to me they didn't see the fumbles as a Singletary-specific problem, per se.

Would be curious to know if others share this perspective.  Certainly, his four fumbles on the year have to be taken into account.

As a transparency note, I do own Singletary in a heavy keeper league.

I actually wasn't too fazed by the fumbles, but would be curious to know if others share this perspective.  I watched Singletary pretty closely last night as I have to make a keeper decision on him next year and haven't had a chance to see him play an entire game.

On the first fumble, my perspective was the result was more of a great play by Watt than a negative play by Singletary.  Singletary had the ball wrapped with his fingers and notched in his elbow, and fairly close to his body.  Watt's strip attempt from behind was perhaps unexpected.  I imagine there aren't many RBs in the NFL that aren't going to get stripped on a play like that.

On the second fumble, if you watch the replay, Singletary's leg is twisted in an extremely awkward direction.  Despite the strip attempt, he held on to the ball until the point where his leg was bent to the max out of a shape that any leg should be bent.  Frankly, I'm amazed he didn't get hurt on the play.

The fact that the coaching staff kept trotting him out there also indicated to me they didn't see the fumbles as a Singletary-specific problem, per se.

Would be curious to know if others share this perspective.  Certainly, his four fumbles on the year have to be taken into account.
The fumbles are definitely an issue, if for no other reason than Sean McDermott hates it and has tended to go to Gore more after his fumbles.

Make no mistake, the fumbles were absolutely 100% the reason that Gore was in after White’s INT rather than Singletary and that decision by McDermott may have cost the Bills 4 points.

The fumbles are definitely an issue, if for no other reason than Sean McDermott hates it and has tended to go to Gore more after his fumbles.

Make no mistake, the fumbles were absolutely 100% the reason that Gore was in after White’s INT rather than Singletary and that decision by McDermott may have cost the Bills 4 points.
That's true, but Singletary was back out there pretty quick.  I could be totally off base here, just how I saw it.

I've had him all year long but haven't started him much, and last night was the first time I got to really watch him play. He seemed... not great? I'm not even all that concerned about the fumbles, since it hasn't been a season-long issue, but he just seemed like a guy back there. Get the ball, tip-toe up to the line and get swallowed up. He had a few nice runs where he made a smart cut, but I wasn't seeing a ton of burst or anything that looked like game-breaking ability. Is he banged up? The Steelers just played that well? Or is this what he is?

I've had him all year long but haven't started him much, and last night was the first time I got to really watch him play. He seemed... not great? I'm not even all that concerned about the fumbles, since it hasn't been a season-long issue, but he just seemed like a guy back there. Get the ball, tip-toe up to the line and get swallowed up. He had a few nice runs where he made a smart cut, but I wasn't seeing a ton of burst or anything that looked like game-breaking ability. Is he banged up? The Steelers just played that well? Or is this what he is?
I had your reaction when I first watched him in a Bills uniform this pre-season, not impressed. He's grown on me since then though. Not a athletically dominant rb or anything, but he knows how to cut through the defense and time his jukes to get by defenders sometimes. The guy above who compared him to Devonta Freeman probably nailed it.

And the Steelers defense is among the best in the league this year.

That's true, but Singletary was back out there pretty quick.  I could be totally off base here, just how I saw it.
That's true, but I suspect that Gore's complete ineffectiveness had a lot to do with that.  If the Bills had a better complementary RB, Singletary may have spent more time on the bench after the second fumble.  Just speculation obviously, but that does seem to be how McDermott rolls.

I had your reaction when I first watched him in a Bills uniform this pre-season, not impressed. He's grown on me since then though. Not a athletically dominant rb or anything, but he knows how to cut through the defense and time his jukes to get by defenders sometimes. The guy above who compared him to Devonta Freeman probably nailed it.

He actually reminds me a lot of two similar RBs: Frank Gore and Curtis Martin.

Neither guy had burner speed, but they had excellent vision, knew how to set guys up, always plowed ahead for extra yards, and just simply understood how to be a running back. That’s Devin Singletary. His vision is absolutely elite. And there are plenty of highlights for him from this year making defenders look silly when he sets them up and they whiff.

Neither guy had burner speed, but they had excellent vision, knew how to set guys up, always plowed ahead for extra yards, and just simply understood how to be a running back. That’s Devin Singletary. His vision is absolutely elite. And there are plenty of highlights for him from this year making defenders look silly when he sets them up and they whiff.
With guys who fit this profile I see a ton of upside if the line improves, also. If they make holes he will find them.

The ‘down’ games should also be somewhat easy to predict; playing a run D like Pittsburgh, given that he doesn’t have breakaway speed it takes most of the upside away if the 7-10 yard runs he’s usually producing turn into 4’s and 5’s. The vision and shiftiness gives him a reasonably high floor with a full workload though.

Y’all keeping him next year?
My answer is heavily league-dependant:  12 teams, 4 keepers per team, so a chance to keep a starting RB is a great opportunity.  I can keep Singletary as an 8th round pick out of 17 next year, so there's good value there to do so.  Of course, we'll need to see how the offseason churn pans out.

Echoing some of the comments above, I've seen enough elusiveness from him to think he can be a starting NFL running back.  Despite his small frame, he does seem to be able to break a few tackles and most importantly fall forward.

His passing game numbers are a little mystifying to me.  He's lined up a fair amount at receiver or in the slot but hasn't really carved out a niche there yet.  I'm curious if this is a matter of not putting too much on his plate, as if he doesn't have the skill set, the formation use strikes me as a bit odd.

I would be hopeful for RB2 numbers next year, based on my opportunity to keep him.

4 fumbles in 11 games, two of which happened in the same game, and resulted in 1 fumble lost. Hard to overstate just how ridiculous a take yours is...
In the NFL 4 fumbles in 11 games is a lot.  He is a rookie, he needs to work on that, how is that a ridiculous take?   A lot of coaches pull a RB out of a game after 1 fumble.  Miles Sanders got benched earlier this year on a fumble.

Curtis Martin was actually pretty fast, but it isn't just the 40 time that was bad for Singletary, his 3 cone and SS were dreadful as well. I admittedly haven't looked into it much, not sure if there's been some explanation like he was sick/injured or something, but if those numbers are representative of his speed and quickness, it's hard to get super excited about his upside.

Curtis Martin was actually pretty fast, but it isn't just the 40 time that was bad for Singletary, his 3 cone and SS were dreadful as well. I admittedly haven't looked into it much, not sure if there's been some explanation like he was sick/injured or something, but if those numbers are representative of his speed and quickness, it's hard to get super excited about his upside.
Dont let combine numbers shape your opinion of his athletic ability.

Dalvin Cook had worse 3 cone than Singletary. These RB are good at what they do.

your last sentence is right on, especially at home.

Over the last 5 games he has the 4th most carries in the league for the 4th most yards.
This, THIS is why I come to the Shark Pool.  This.

Truth in advertising:  I drafted Singletary in the 3rd round of my dynasty draft based on opportunity alone.  Could not be happier.  Dude reminds me a lot of McCoy, with his cuts (and, unfortunately last night, his ball security).

He’s got loads of these types of highlights from this season. He’s constantly making defenders look silly. I don’t care what his workout numbers look like, the guy is a flat out baller. He makes guys miss in tight spaces, he makes guys take bad angles, he finds every crease and hole, he falls forward for that last extra yard. He just needs to learn better ball security, to catch the ball before running with it, and to improve a bit in blitz pickup (something he isn’t terrible at but could be a touch better at).

He’s got loads of these types of highlights from this season. He’s constantly making defenders look silly. I don’t care what his workout numbers look like, the guy is a flat out baller. He makes guys miss in tight spaces, he makes guys take bad angles, he finds every crease and hole, he falls forward for that last extra yard. He just needs to learn better ball security, to catch the ball before running with it, and to improve a bit in blitz pickup (something he isn’t terrible at but could be a touch better at).
Ha, you are quick... I just posted that gif!

Seriously though, I didn't think he'd be athletic enough to be the bell cow.  But he has "it" he runs the outside zone so well, just has that knack for setting up blocks and getting upfield.  Surprising amount of power too.

If anything stops him, it'll be fumbles (the whole team fumbles too much)

GroveDiesel said:
Great move and all, but what it that net him? Zero additional yards, and he coughed the ball up. Would have been better off just plowing ahead for another 2-3 yards (and holding onto the ball obviously).

Kevrunner said:
In the NFL 4 fumbles in 11 games is a lot.  He is a rookie, he needs to work on that, how is that a ridiculous take?   A lot of coaches pull a RB out of a game after 1 fumble.  Miles Sanders got benched earlier this year on a fumble.
Didn't really fumble in college despite a huge workload over 3 seasons. this also on top of the kind of runner he is with lots of second level penetration. he's hard to tackle, physical in his style. He doesn't need to "fix" anything because it's not a problem. He's not Tiki Barber.

Didn't really fumble in college despite a huge workload over 3 seasons. this also on top of the kind of runner he is with lots of second level penetration. he's hard to tackle, physical in his style. He doesn't need to "fix" anything because it's not a problem. He's not Tiki Barber.
The level of competition he faced in college is no where near what he’s facing in the NFL and he just needs to learn to hold onto the ball better and I’m sure the coaches are working with him on his ball security.   I know in college, fumbling wasn’t an issue, but so far in the NFL he has 4 fumbles in only 164 carries.  He needs to fix that. 

Motor has 4 in 164 touches.  0.0243 per touch.

Emmitt had 7 in 265 as a rookie. 0.0264.

Barry had 10 in 304 as a rookie. 0.0329.

Currently he has similar touches and the same amount of fumbles as Kamara and Gordon.

Biabreakable said:
Dont let combine numbers shape your opinion of his athletic ability.

Dalvin Cook had worse 3 cone than Singletary. These RB are good at what they do.
Also there's no correlation between combine numbers vs NFL success after controlling for draft status.

Also there's no correlation between combine numbers vs NFL success after controlling for draft status.
I would add in that the skill the 3-cone is meant to test is something that Singletary, to the naked eye, seems to do well on the field of play - rapid cuts and changes of direction to evade defenders.

Great move and all, but what it that net him? Zero additional yards, and he coughed the ball up. Would have been better off just plowing ahead for another 2-3 yards (and holding onto the ball obviously).
I think his point was to disprove the poor 3 cone scores which apparently are designed to measure skills like this. Over time he'll hopefully make smarter decisions with his running but the ability is there it would seem.

Anyone starting this guy against NE? If Jacobs practice reports aren't great I'll have to decide between him, Bell, or a ww player for my flex.

smcindoe said:

What kinda strikes me about Singletary is that he looks almost-unnatural running the ball, but yet he seems to produce good results when he gets it.  On the "eye test", he looks slow.  Like he has the long strides of a player about 6 inches taller yet with the legs of a 5'7" RB.  It's strange looking.  That said, he's shown time and time again this year that he's capable of making players miss and breaking tackles.  He's like a weird, shifty bowling ball with a very low center of gravity.  Whatever he's doing, it seems to be working, when they can get him the ball.

TD against the Eagles
Some preseason highlights

He reminds me a lot of Stevie Johnson except at RB.  Stevie was never the fastest.  Didn't have superglue hands.  Didn't run the cleanest routes.  Not a combine warrior.  But for whatever reason, he was consistently productive.  You never really knew why, but he was always there where and when they needed him.  Singletary strikes me as that kind of player.
Your comment here reminds me of my comment above from a few months ago.  There is something that looks very "just a guy" about him, but yet he continues to consistently produce, week-in and week-out.  There are dozens of RBs out there who can't find work right now who have better measurables than Singletary, better top-end speed, etc.  But I kid you not, Singletary looks to have elite field vision and, for lack of a better term, instinct while running the ball. 

I don't think he will ever be elite simply because he does not have the truly elite athleticism of a guy like, say, Zeke Elliott or Saquon Barkley.  But I am convinced from watching all of his games this year that he has what it takes to be an above-average starting RB in the NFL, especially in a good offense for him....which is what the Bills are currently running.  Fantasy-wise, I understand the concerns, especially with Allen vulturing his goalline TDs and with limited pass-catching numbers.  Overall I think he has a pretty bright future in the NFL. 

Your comment here reminds me of my comment above from a few months ago.  There is something that looks very "just a guy" about him, but yet he continues to consistently produce, week-in and week-out.  There are dozens of RBs out there who can't find work right now who have better measurables than Singletary, better top-end speed, etc.  But I kid you not, Singletary looks to have elite field vision and, for lack of a better term, instinct while running the ball. 

I don't think he will ever be elite simply because he does not have the truly elite athleticism of a guy like, say, Zeke Elliott or Saquon Barkley.  But I am convinced from watching all of his games this year that he has what it takes to be an above-average starting RB in the NFL, especially in a good offense for him....which is what the Bills are currently running.  Fantasy-wise, I understand the concerns, especially with Allen vulturing his goalline TDs and with limited pass-catching numbers.  Overall I think he has a pretty bright future in the NFL. 
With the benefit of getting to watch him week in and week out, what do you make of the formation usage of Singletary, in regard to his receiving potential?

My main TV exposure to him has been the Cowboys game, the Steelers game and the second half of the Ravens game (too busy watching the Bears 😔).  I can't find any accurate counts of this, but anecdotally I've seen him lined up as a wide receiver and in the slot numerous times.  I believe I've only seen him get one target from these plays (the screen pass on Sunday in the 2nd half that was called back for a penalty), but again, this is not any reasonable statistical count.  The formation use makes me wonder if they see potential for him in the passing game.  What's your take on this?

Motor has 4 in 164 touches.  0.0243 per touch.

Emmitt had 7 in 265 as a rookie. 0.0264.

Barry had 10 in 304 as a rookie. 0.0329.

Currently he has similar touches and the same amount of fumbles as Kamara and Gordon.
All I said was he needs to work on his fumbling.  You list 2 of the greatest RBs in NFL history.  If you are saying that Singletary is already in this group than he absolutely has nothing to worry about.  But, I am not putting Singletary in the Hall of Fame just yet.   I read a article that the NFL's average fumble rate last season for its Top 10 leading rushers was one for every 124.5 offensive touches.   Right now Singletary is way above this ratio and needs to work on it.  Can't see how that wasn't worth mentioning.    I need to remember never post negative information, my bad.

Post whatever you like kev.  I didnt say you were wrong. I didnt say he doesnt need to fix his handle on the ball.

I just added some perspective of two other rookies who ended up being the two best backs ever.

For another bit of perspective, I'd remind everyone that the Steelers are the #1 team in causing turnovers.

And of course the rook has plenty to learn and get better at.  But the fumble %s posted say he isnt losing his job over his fumbles.

Singletary is averaging more yards per carry (5.4) then every RB with at least 120 carries. 

Chubb 5.2 and Ingram 5.0 are next.

With the benefit of getting to watch him week in and week out, what do you make of the formation usage of Singletary, in regard to his receiving potential?

My main TV exposure to him has been the Cowboys game, the Steelers game and the second half of the Ravens game (too busy watching the Bears 😔).  I can't find any accurate counts of this, but anecdotally I've seen him lined up as a wide receiver and in the slot numerous times.  I believe I've only seen him get one target from these plays (the screen pass on Sunday in the 2nd half that was called back for a penalty), but again, this is not any reasonable statistical count.  The formation use makes me wonder if they see potential for him in the passing game.  What's your take on this?
I don't think he's as bad of a receiver as people think he is, but I don't think it's anything that the Bills are really hammering right now.  He's ranked tied for 29th in the NFL among targets for RBs.  Granted he missed a handful of games, but the Bills simply don't throw to their RBs a ton, even Lesean McCoy only had 46 targets last year (compared to Singletary's 40 this year to date).  He also ranks 148th in the NFL in terms of yards per target.  The Bills screen game under Brian Daboll has been essentially non-existent...not that that's the end of the world, just the way the offense is designed. 

I also think Singletary is a little bit overlooked in the Bills passing game because of Isaiah McKenzie and to a lesser extent Robert Foster.  McKenzie's numbers won't blow anyone away, but he serves a pretty valuable role as the gadget player, Tyreek Hill-lite.  If the Bills are going to run some sort of pre-snap motion or designed downfield-blocking scheme to get a player the ball in space, it's probably going to be McKenzie, not Singletary.

Overall I wouldn't expect much out of him in the receiving game, at least so long as Brian Daboll is calling the plays.

I was reading about the Bills and the screen game and the article I read was really illuminating. The Bills have been AWFUL in the screen game. Just terrible. And while there is maybe a bit of an execution or scheme piece, the bigger issue is that the way teams are defending Josh Allen is a large part of that struggle. Teams are crowding the line of scrimmage, or controlled big blitzing, or putting a spy on Allen. What that is doing is putting defenders right in those screen area. In trying to contain Allen, it has a side benefit of putting defenders in position to snuff out screens.

I haven’t even looked, but I would guess that the Ravens haven’t used a lot of screens for much the same reason.

I think his point was to disprove the poor 3 cone scores which apparently are designed to measure skills like this. Over time he'll hopefully make smarter decisions with his running but the ability is there it would seem.
The 3 cone doesn't measure making guys look silly so I don't think that's it. Making guys miss is great and all, but in the NFL there's usually going to be another guy there very quickly, as we saw in that clip. 

I like Singletary, he has a lot of great qualities that you want in a RB, just wish he was bigger/faster/stronger. Hard to see him ever being "elite" IMO.

Hard to see him ever being "elite" IMO.
Dunno.

His 5.4 per carry is leading the 2019 field of lead RBs.

Gore is at 3.6. McCoy was 3.2 last year and at 4.6 this year in KC.

And if Josh Allen's TD vulturing of 1 yard, 1 yard, 8 yard, 1 yard since week 9 went to Singletary... he'd be the #5 overall RB since the day he became the starter (non ppr). As it is he is #11.

Doesnt look that hard imho.

*edit, I missed that several RBs had byes in the 9-15 timeframe. So actually as it is he is at 14-15

Welp, since Cook is out and I didn't get Boone, unless Mattison shows any signs of playing, I'm rolling him out as an RB2. 

Somebody please tell me it'll be ok
Cook is out???  Last thing the team reported was that he was feeling good and should be able to play.

https://ffstudentdoc.home.blog/2019/12/18/the-vikings-backfield-injuries/

If Cook subluxated shoulder then he'll be fine.  If he dislocated then he'll be out.  Team thinks he's fine.

SCT said:
Cook is out???  Last thing the team reported was that he was feeling good and should be able to play.

https://ffstudentdoc.home.blog/2019/12/18/the-vikings-backfield-injuries/

If Cook subluxated shoulder then he'll be fine.  If he dislocated then he'll be out.  Team thinks he's fine.
Both Cook and Mattison held out of practice today. The problem is that it is a MNF game so I don't think I can take the chance to wait. 

Devin Singletary must come through! It'll be a combined Christmas / Hanukkah / Kwanzaa / Festivus miracle.

Where do you guys see him being drafted in non ppr 12 Teamers next year? Wondering if he’s a good keeper and can take the next step. 

Where do you guys see him being drafted in non ppr 12 Teamers next year? Wondering if he’s a good keeper and can take the next step. 
i have him but i'm not sure i see anything special there.  i think he's fine and borderline good but they certainly may try to bring in some competition

Users who are viewing this thread