What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stuff happening lately that reminds you you're getting older (1 Viewer)

Got a little pebble -like thing under the skin on the ball of my foot. Almost feels like a BB. Thought it might go away on its own, but no dice. Limping around like an old man is the suck. 
Does it just feel like you have a BB/rock under your foot when you walk, or can you actually feel a lump there?

I had Morton's neuroma - it felt like i was walking on a rock constantly.  After several shots in the foot to "ease" the pain I had to have surgery (they cut out the nerve that was trapped between the bones).  Feels much better now.  Two of my toes are always numb, but I can run, hike, walk without pain.

Does it just feel like you have a BB/rock under your foot when you walk, or can you actually feel a lump there?

I had Morton's neuroma - it felt like i was walking on a rock constantly.  After several shots in the foot to "ease" the pain I had to have surgery (they cut out the nerve that was trapped between the bones).  Feels much better now.  Two of my toes are always numb, but I can run, hike, walk without pain.
Can feel a lump. Literally feels like a BB under the skin.

My knees are messed up. Due to an antibiotic. FYI - never take Levaquin, Cipro, and the like. These drugs have a rare chance of affecting your tendons and other connective tissue. Rare my ###. From reading what others have suffered I probably got off easy.

I hope i regain normalcy. My joints snap and pop especially my knees. Went thru a few days where they were so tight it was hard to stand and walk. They alternate between feeling "sloppy" and snapping and popping like the cartilage is messed up somewhat to feeling like there is a lot of pressure pushing down on the joints. Primary doc says should go away in a few weeks. I hope so.

My knees are messed up. Due to an antibiotic. FYI - never take Levaquin, Cipro, and the like. These drugs have a rare chance of affecting your tendons and other connective tissue. Rare my ###. From reading what others have suffered I probably got off easy.

I hope i regain normalcy. My joints snap and pop especially my knees. Went thru a few days where they were so tight it was hard to stand and walk. They alternate between feeling "sloppy" and snapping and popping like the cartilage is messed up somewhat to feeling like there is a lot of pressure pushing down on the joints. Primary doc says should go away in a few weeks. I hope so.
That's odd, as fluoroquinolone damage almost always involves the Achilles tendon, and has only rarely been linked to the knees. Does your doctor agree the antibiotic is the culprit?

This article is a decent review of the tendinopathy, including some info on rehab. In general, you may want to consider a brace for your knees until the pain eases off, followed by some eccentric training (AKA "negatives") to rehabilitate. Supposedly the symptoms can last up to ~6 months after the antibiotic is discontinued.

That's odd, as fluoroquinolone damage almost always involves the Achilles tendon, and has only rarely been linked to the knees. Does your doctor agree the antibiotic is the culprit?

This article is a decent review of the tendinopathy, including some info on rehab. In general, you may want to consider a brace for your knees until the pain eases off, followed by some eccentric training (AKA "negatives") to rehabilitate. Supposedly the symptoms can last up to ~6 months after the antibiotic is discontinued.
Thanks. I had already read that same article.

Yes. Not just the knees but that's the main issue. Also had funky wrists for a bit but thinking they may be getting better. Had some tendon tightening and pain in my lower arm/wrist area off and on. Occasional popping and cracking in my ankles and shoulders and tightness in back of lower legs. Like I said, nasty stuff. Should be banned.

Last edited by a moderator:

I discovered I'm allergic to sulfa-based antibiotics about 6 years ago.  I forgot what I was taking them for (sinus infection, most likely), but let's just say that my man parts had some "swelling".... and not in the good way.  It was both painful and absolutely horrifying.

And while we're also on the subject of weird, maybe age-based injuries and what-not, I discovered something on the very tip of my nipple yesterday after my shirt rubbing up against it was annoying and dare I say a little painful.  It's maybe a pimple?  Skin tag?  Scratch?  Either way, it's annoying as heck and I'm tempted to cover it up with a Band-Aid tomorrow and until it goes away.

:lol: Getting old is the sux0r.

Last edited by a moderator:
I discovered I'm allergic to sulfa-based antibiotics about 6 years ago.  I forgot what I was taking them for (sinus infection, most likely), but let's just say that my man parts had some "swelling".... and not in the good way.  It was both painful and absolutely horrifying.

And while we're also on the subject of weird, maybe age-based injuries and what-not, I discovered something on the very tip of my nipple yesterday after my shirt rubbing up against it was annoying and dare I say a little painful.  It's maybe a pimple?  Skin tag?  Scratch?  Either way, it's annoying as heck and I'm tempted to cover it up with a Band-Aid tomorrow and until it goes away.

:lol: Getting old is the sux0r.
Before my reaction to the Levaquin I had taken a different antibiotic because I read the possible side effects and asked the doc for something else. He prescribed Bactrim which is a sulfa drug. Six days into that I had an allergic reaction with fever, chills, and full body rash. Nasty. Ended up in ER to get checked out. Took a few days to get back to normal and then took original Levaquin begrudgingly as doc wanted. Bad luck. Two in a row.

Before my reaction to the Levaquin I had taken a different antibiotic because I read the possible side effects and asked the doc for something else. He prescribed Bactrim which is a sulfa drug. Six days into that I had an allergic reaction with fever, chills, and full body rash. Nasty. Ended up in ER to get checked out. Took a few days to get back to normal and then took original Levaquin begrudgingly as doc wanted. Bad luck. Two in a row.
Yup if I recall it was Bactrim that I had.  

So now I'm allergic to both sulfa-based drugs and penicillin.  

I had the same reaction to sulfa back in my mid-20's. Haven't taken it since.

I had the same reaction to sulfa back in my mid-20's. Haven't taken it since.
I had a similar reaction to this stuff after my kidney stone surgery.  I have a lot of allergies, so I was able to figure out something was wrong pretty quickly.  I stopped taking it and felt better immediately.  I told my doctor about it and he looked at me like I was a loon.  And I know that look, because I see if from a lot of people. 

I had a similar reaction to this stuff after my kidney stone surgery.  I have a lot of allergies, so I was able to figure out something was wrong pretty quickly.  I stopped taking it and felt better immediately.  I told my doctor about it and he looked at me like I was a loon.  And I know that look, because I see if from a lot of people. 
I needed a major antihistamine shot from the doctor, then was on sudafed for a few days. The initial fever, chills, rash were like nothing I've experienced before or since. Once the shot kicked in things improved greatly.

Could you do me a solid, and see the doctor about it?  If it persists for more than a few days, it could be something serious like breast cancer.  I know I sound like an alarmist, but that's not normal.

Could you do me a solid, and see the doctor about it?  If it persists for more than a few days, it could be something serious like breast cancer.  I know I sound like an alarmist, but that's not normal.
Well #### now you're scaring me!  :lol:

I've had a sty on my eye for awhile now and planned on going to the doctor about it while I'm off for the holidays (24th - 2nd, yay!), so I'll add this to the list.

Well #### now you're scaring me!  :lol:

I've had a sty on my eye for awhile now and planned on going to the doctor about it while I'm off for the holidays (24th - 2nd, yay!), so I'll add this to the list.
Sure don't mean to and it's probably nothing, but it would have really bothered me if I hadn't said anything.  Men don't really think of breast cancer, so it's just no t on their radar.

This can be the result of dry eye caused by deteriorating tear ducts. Speaking from experience here. Reminds me, time for my Restasis.

People using terms that I had no idea were real terms.

Now, granted I try not to talk to people too much, but when the hell did "ping me" become an actual thing?

Now, granted I try not to talk to people too much, but when the hell did "ping me" become an actual thing?
Not super-long in the wider world ... but it could've been borrowed from IT folks who have used "ping" to mean "poking a remote computer or server" since at least the early 1990s. The command-line code word actually is "ping", even.

Not super-long in the wider world ... but it could've been borrowed from IT folks who have used "ping" to mean "poking a remote computer or server" since at least the early 1990s. The command-line code word actually is "ping", even.
I know all about ping.  I'm a dorky IT guy through and through.

But I've never heard someone say it like that before.  And these are non IT people talking to me.  They'll come by my office and say, "Just ping me later today."  Like, WTF? 

But I've never heard someone say it like that before.  And these are non IT people talking to me.  They'll come by my office and say, "Just ping me later today."  Like, WTF? 
You're having an experience that I have all the time as well: Something just springs upon us as "now a thing!" fully-formed, with no slow build-up, no history. It's like culture catches us by surprise all the time these days where in the past, maybe we were more hip and with-it and saw stuff coming.

For example, I had this same experience with "Netflix and chill" in recent years (whenever it was "meming" everyewhere). To hear some tell it, people have been saying "Netflix and chill" since before Netflix used to mail out DVDs -- that they were just so cool and forward that they intuitively knew Netflix was going to be a thing in the future.

Bah. I'll be over hear trimming my ear hair :(  

TheIronSheik said:
People using terms that I had no idea were real terms.

About 6 years ago.  

Forgetting a lot more stuff. Could almost also pull things from memory when needed if I tried but now at the point I can’t remember certain things no matter how hard I try. This normal when you hit 40?

I’ve never worn glasses, and my eye Dr says I’m near 20/20

But I can’t even read my phone first thing in the morning  

:oldballs:

I’ve never worn glasses, and my eye Dr says I’m near 20/20

But I can’t even read my phone first thing in the morning  

:oldballs:
I have 20/15 vision can't read small text anymore. But I can spot a freaking small object from miles....

Brutal lower back pain and stiffness today.....and I haven’t done anything active to cause it. 😢
A week ago, I was out cold for three weeks for the exact same thing.  I didn't do a thing and wound up with 3rd degree back strain  :kicksrock:   

Thanks, you guys making me feel much better by comparison.  My biggest problem is only getting that first 3-4 hours of sleep being solid. 

Users who are viewing this thread