What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We should have more sin taxes (1 Viewer)

I think we should tax hipster crap.  You want to buy cheese at Whole Foods?  TAX!!!  An exquisite IPA with a hoppy aftertaste?  TAX!!!!  A nice vest with a matching bow tie?  TAX!!!!  A bicycle to ride to my beard barber?  TAX-TAX!!!!

If we can have a Sin Tax, I think we should also have an Annoying Tax.

will he get more pages than the plane thread who knows folks but its gonna be a good one so sit down strap in and enjoy the show take that to the bank bromigos 

Those are already in place and are a completely different issue. 

Sin taxes on food require new legislation, regulation, etc. It also then becomes a never ending cycle. Hohos will get remade using previously unlegislated ingredients. Those will get added then, along with a desk for the governor, a bridge, a new state park, and whatever other stupid crap will get thrown in. 

All so we can tax poor people more so we can give more money to poor people. 

I am obviously over simplifying and using hyperbole, well...somewhat.  
I'll never understand this line of thinking.  The exact same thing was said about taxing cigarettes.  

IC FBGCav said:
There is no link between how long you live and obesity.  At least none that studies have proven. 
I'm pretty sure you are wrong about that. They have higher rates of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, hypertension etc. etc. etc.

I mean, I guess if you want to ignore the co-morbidities and only look at obese and non-obese people without those associated co-morbidities the life expectancies may even out, but that doesn't make much sense.

Link 1997

Link 2017

I'll never understand this line of thinking.  The exact same thing was said about taxing cigarettes.  
You never understand how people view food differently than cigarettes? 

So i assume you support making twinkies only legal for people over the age of 18?

Eta: I should say birthday cake instead of twinkies since twinkies are actually kinda scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not saying this about Otis, because he clearly states it in his original post.  And this isn't aimed at anyone here, directly, either.

But I always find it odd that most people love to tax things that don't affect them.  It's very rare for someone to come out and say, "You know what we should tax?  The stuff I buy a lot of."  People love to give away other people's money.  

You never understand how people view food differently than cigarettes? 

So i assume you support making twinkies only legal for people over the age of 18?

Eta: I should say birthday cake instead of twinkies since twinkies are actually kinda scary.
I'll never understand the "it'll require new blah blah blah" and then the slippery slope arguments.  It's the same crapola that prevents common sense gun regulation.  

Let's flip the switch.  How would you steer people towards eating healthier so that we can reduce the cost burden on our healthcare system?

Not saying this about Otis, because he clearly states it in his original post.  And this isn't aimed at anyone here, directly, either.

But I always find it odd that most people love to tax things that don't affect them.  It's very rare for someone to come out and say, "You know what we should tax?  The stuff I buy a lot of."  People love to give away other people's money.  
But it does affect them in the form of higher healthcare premiums.  

And they define the rich who should be taxed more as anybody making 25% more than them.

Chaka said:
I am pretty sure that there is plenty of data that shows that the people you are talking about aren't a bigger burden on our healthcare system because they have lower life expectancy.

They don't live long enough to become Super Users in our healthcare system.

I totally want to agree with you, sincerely I do, but I think the reality is that it may be a push.
Well, please share.  Yes, they have lower life expectancy, but they still have high claims while alive.  Actually, they tend to have higher claims (much higher claims), but as you point out they do so for a shorter period of time.  The kicker is that they also pay into the system a shorter amount of time.  A dead guy isn't paying Medicare taxes.

Let's flip the switch.  How would you steer people towards eating healthier so that we can reduce the cost burden on our healthcare system?
Maybe our elected reps could actually do something about setting a much better standard for food quality we are bombarded with in the form of fast food chains.   

Dear Otis, 

Have you returned from vacation?  Was your time enjoyable save for your flight?  I hope all is well.

Sincerely,

Jaysus (from the internet)

Masturbation is a sin. I propose a tax of 25 cents every time someone rubs one out/flicks the bean.

National debt will be settled within the week. You're welcome.

I believe long distance runners have higher than average mortality rates.
Actuarially not. I sell life insurance.  I have a carrier that actively discounts life insurance rates for distance runners.  That's just one (of many) factors, but it is one.  And they have the numbers to know. 

Tax all vehicles over 35K at 40%.     Sick of seeing a soccer mom driving by herself in a 9 seat Escalade. Plus all the country clubbers driving Porches and Beemers...2K a year for new plates.  

Any booze over 15 a bottle should be heavily taxed.  Do no tax the Burnetts vodka or Kesslers whiskey..college kids and people on the street need cheap booze without getting punished.

I'll never understand the "it'll require new blah blah blah" and then the slippery slope arguments.  It's the same crapola that prevents common sense gun regulation.  

I wouldnt try and steer them. Thats how. 

A 50 year old obese person might be a burden on our healthcare system now, but they will spend fewer years as a super user of the health care system collecting social security. 

They arent a burden on their employer because they are paid less. 

Smoking had second hand smoke. Drinking has drunk driving. People shoot other people.

So until drive by ding donging becomes common or people are getting serial crushed by a huge freakin guy on a regular basis , get out of my kitchen. 

"That's as american as apple pie without sugar and gluten free cauliflower crust" just doesnt have the same ring to it. 

I also think it's odd that we have our schools' funding dependent on people using items we're trying to force them to stop using by excessive taxes.   :confused:

Actuarially not. I sell life insurance.  I have a carrier that actively discounts life insurance rates for distance runners.  That's just one (of many) factors, but it is one.  And they have the numbers to know. 
Fair enough. I accept that.

Well, please share.  Yes, they have lower life expectancy, but they still have high claims while alive.  Actually, they tend to have higher claims (much higher claims), but as you point out they do so for a shorter period of time.  The kicker is that they also pay into the system a shorter amount of time.  A dead guy isn't paying Medicare taxes.
Absolutely. I didn't say they were lower users just that ultimately it is probably closer to a push than most people think.

Seeing as obesity is simply the amount of calories you consume over the amount needed for daily survival it sounds like you advocate a consumption tax. Good! Me too. So we’ll now be in agreement to abolish the income tax and everything will be good. 
This is not true - and has been proven with multiple studies.  /tangent

Tax all vehicles over 35K at 40%.     Sick of seeing a soccer mom driving by herself in a 9 seat Escalade. Plus all the country clubbers driving Porches and Beemers...2K a year for new plates.  

Any booze over 15 a bottle should be heavily taxed.  Do no tax the Burnetts vodka or Kesslers whiskey..college kids and people on the street need cheap booze without getting punished.
And diverted to the mountain dew and cheetos fund, love that combo.

Masturbation is a sin. I propose a tax of 25 cents every time someone rubs one out/flicks the bean.

National debt will be settled within the week. You're welcome.
Just for kicks, I did the math.  For this plan to work, everyone (including old people and babies) has to qualify for the 25 cent tax 28,132 times a day. 

Edit: Maybe we should give it a year instead of a week.

I buy beer.  I like beer.  I'm cool with them taxing it (more).  I also buy gasoline.  I'd be cool with a (higher) tax on it....would make me think even harder about a Tesla or similar vehicle (which is the point of the tax, right?). 

I am against sin taxes on food. I think they are dumb. 
In order of my preference for attacking this it would be:

Remove subsidies >  Education > Tax food items  > Doing Nothing

I'm fine with more focus on the first two but as long as we continue to have as many obese/diabetic people I think it's for the greater good to tax the food items (that we generally agree are "bad") than it is to do nothing.

I think we should tax hipster crap.  You want to buy cheese at Whole Foods?  TAX!!!  An exquisite IPA with a hoppy aftertaste?  TAX!!!!  A nice vest with a matching bow tie?  TAX!!!!  A bicycle to ride to my beard barber?  TAX-TAX!!!!

If we can have a Sin Tax, I think we should also have an Annoying Tax.
According to my personal source of economic theory, Monopoly, Luxury Tax was once a thing. Like it. $100 tax on anything that calls itself porkbelly instead of bacon is a good start.

I'm not in favor of creating new revenue streams for power junkies who've frittered away the money they had but, should i ever favor taxation again, i have no problem with this. I will remind folks, however, that using the tax code in carrot/stick (dis)incentives usually ends up in in heavy loopholing by some faction or other.

Far as sin taxes go, the dramatic increase in cigarette tax came from Hillary Clinton in a rather hilarious way (the story of which i got from the former chairman of the NY Democratic Party and director of one of the Democratic National Conventions). Her President husband made Hillary the unofficial healthcare czar and a prohibitive butt tax was the first thing everyone agreed upon. As her committee worked on other issues, one of her actuarials came to her and told her that she was going to have to scrap the butt tax. The First Lady was outraged that this person wanted to take away one of the most obvious planks of her platform. "You have to" said the wonk and went on to explain that smokers use so much less of the Social Security/Medicare fund than any other segment of the population that, without their regular premature demises,  she wouldn't be able to fund her plan. According to my high-placed friend, this is what began Ms Clinton giving up on getting healthcare done for her husband, party & country. She introduced the butt tax separately afterward out of spite.

At the very least, though, there is no reason why America should pay for snack foods on SNAP (10% of all food bought in the USA now, btw). We have to be careful not to go to far because the poorest are limited in their shopping resources, but chips, desserts & soft drinks can certainly be coded off the SNAP cards. I believe the corn & cane lobbies are well aware of this potentiality and have spent millions on prevention already. In addition, 2-for-1 inducement on fresh veggies are possible as well. My state does 2-for-1 on farmers' market produce.

I buy beer.  I like beer.  I'm cool with them taxing it (more).  I also buy gasoline.  I'd be cool with a (higher) tax on it....would make me think even harder about a Tesla or similar vehicle (which is the point of the tax, right?). 
Two things.

1. I said MOST people.

2. Is that the point?  Again, if it gets you to stop using gas, then the tax money dries up.  

According to my personal source of economic theory, Monopoly, Luxury Tax was once a thing. Like it. $100 tax on anything that calls itself porkbelly instead of bacon is a good start.

I'm not in favor of creating new revenue streams for power junkies who've frittered away the money they had but, should i ever favor taxation again, i have no problem with this. I will remind folks, however, that using the tax code in carrot/stick (dis)incentives usually ends up in in heavy loopholing by some faction or other.

Far as sin taxes go, the dramatic increase in cigarette tax came from Hillary Clinton in a rather hilarious way (the story of which i got from the former chairman of the NY Democratic Party and director of one of the Democratic National Conventions). Her President husband made Hillary the unofficial healthcare czar and a prohibitive butt tax was the first thing everyone agreed upon. As her committee worked on other issues, one of her actuarials came to her and told her that she was going to have to scrap the butt tax. The First Lady was outraged that this person wanted to take away one of the most obvious planks of her platform. "You have to" said the wonk and went on to explain that smokers use so much less of the Social Security/Medicare fund than any other segment of the population that, without their regular premature demises,  she wouldn't be able to fund her plan. According to my high-placed friend, this is what began Ms Clinton giving up on getting healthcare done for her husband, party & country.

At the very least, though, there is no reason why America should pay for snack foods on SNAP (10% of all food bought in the USA now, btw). We have to be careful not to go to far because the poorest are limited in their shopping resources, but chips, desserts & soft drinks can certainly be coded off the SNAP cards. I believe the corn & cain lobbies are well aware of this potentiality and have spent millions on prevention already. In addition, 2-for-1 inducement on fresh veggies are possible as well. My state does 2-for-1 on farmers' market produce.
Did you mean to quote me, GB?  My post was a joke about taxing annoying people.

You say this as though you believe that healthier people = lower healthcare insurance premiums.  That's surely a false assumption.
Not at all.  Health insurance premiums are simply set by the carrier as projected health care expenses, plus some amount of overhead, divided by the number of people in the pool.  This is even more true now in the age of the ACA (where in large group 85% of premiums have to be paid in claims, or overage refunded to insured, 80% in the individual market).  If a group of say 2k people was projected to have $10m of health care expenses, the carrier would want to collect say $11.5m or so from that pool - which is $5,750 per person annually, or about $480 a month.  If that same group was healthier and only projected to have $5m of health care expenses, they carrier would (and with the ACA could) only collect $6.25m from them (assuming their assumption of expenses was correct), which breaks down to $260 per person per month. 

I also buy gasoline.  I'd be cool with a (higher) tax on it....would make me think even harder about a Tesla or similar vehicle (which is the point of the tax, right?). 
One of the issues about taxing gasoline is that tax income is supposed to be used for infrastructure.  If gas usage drops due to less driving, more efficient vehicles, or electric vehicles, where is the money for safe roads and bridges going to come from?  Overly taxing consumables such as tires could create safety hazards (wait until those tires are REALLY bald before replacing).  Taxing license plates would be an issue due to paying at once instead of smaller payments over time.  

The libertarian side of me favors the right of the individual to engage in personally-risky activities (drinking, smoking, drugs, gambling, prostitution, etc.).

The practical side of me recognizes that many of these activities are addicting, and therefore can present a risk to national health -- ultimately being very damaging and costly to society.

The conservative side of me wants to restrict access to all of these activities.

In my younger days, I thought that the best balance was to allow free access, but to tax the hell out of all of it.

Now that I am older, and I've seen how some of the negative effects can erode the moral climate, I find myself being more and more in favor of stronger restrictions.

Not at all.  Health insurance premiums are simply set by the carrier as projected health care expenses, plus some amount of overhead, divided by the number of people in the pool.  This is even more true now in the age of the ACA (where in large group 85% of premiums have to be paid in claims, or overage refunded to insured, 80% in the individual market).  If a group of say 2k people was projected to have $10m of health care expenses, the carrier would want to collect say $11.5m or so from that pool - which is $5,750 per person annually, or about $480 a month.  If that same group was healthier and only projected to have $5m of health care expenses, they carrier would (and with the ACA could) only collect $6.25m from them (assuming their assumption of expenses was correct), which breaks down to $260 per person per month. 
"If that same group was healthier and only projected to have $5m of health care expenses ..."  This is a faulty assumption imo.  There's no way that the health care and pharma industries allow revenue to drop just because people are healthier.  They will have 10 year old kids on statins and sleeping with cpap machines if that's what it takes.

"If that same group was healthier and only projected to have $5m of health care expenses ..."  This is a faulty assumption imo.  There's no way that the health care and pharma industries allow revenue to drop just because people are healthier.  They will have 10 year old kids on statins and sleeping with cpap machines if that's what it takes.
Studies have shown that roughly half of our countries health care expenses are from lifestyle choices (smoking, obesity, yada yada).  You're correct in thinking that if there is less demand for certain health care items, that the producers will just up the prices for the still remaining customers to make up the difference, though. 

One of the issues about taxing gasoline is that tax income is supposed to be used for infrastructure.  If gas usage drops due to less driving, more efficient vehicles, or electric vehicles, where is the money for safe roads and bridges going to come from?  Overly taxing consumables such as tires could create safety hazards (wait until those tires are REALLY bald before replacing).  Taxing license plates would be an issue due to paying at once instead of smaller payments over time.  
Would be the same, in theory.  If they up gas tax by 10% and it causes a 10% drop in gasoline vehicles (and thus a 10% drop in gas consumption), it's a wash. 

If everybody buys a Tesla and quits drinking beer there will be no tax revenue coming in.   Then healthy things like gym memberships, kale and oatmeal will have to be taxed.

Aren't these sin taxes more to change behavior rather than to generate revenue?  The individual mandate tax in the ACA (the "sin" of not having health insurance) wasn't meant to generate funds, it was meant to get people to buy coverage.
I'd say they are for both.  And that's why they are dumb.  Philly instituted a Soda Tax because it will help fund the schools that are in desperate need of money.  But the tax was put on soda because they feel that too many people are drinking sugary drinks and it's bad for the health of people. 

So which is it?  Pay for schools or better health?  Because if the tax works, schools don't get funded.  But if the pull in a lot of money, then the tax isn't working.  

The truth is the tax is not meant to persuade people from buying a certain item.  It's just a tax that is levied on certain groups of people.  

Users who are viewing this thread