What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza 3: Playlists are done, phwew (1 Viewer)

I need to shine the spotlight on this indie rock band because they're an all time favourite for me and essential to the 00s. I draft them all the time but I'll switch up the song here...

Ugly or pretty, it's still my city

Afterhours - Get in or Get Out - Hot Hot Heat - Indie Rock

(Sorry, just gonna get a couple picks out of the way.)

16. Handsome Furs, Repatriated (Dance/Electronica; 2011)

Gonna keep these relatively short, but screw it, I'm doubling up on Boeckner. NV/Eeph mentioned HF earlier in the thread, and though I could've gone with something else, this was the right pick. Heard about 'em from y'all here on the FFA, about Sound Kapital,  and damn, I love that album. Would be happy with a couple of other songs from that one too.
MIssed this at the time, searched to make sure Handsome Furs were picked. Sound Kapital is such a fantastic album.

I already drafted this band and we all agreed they're absolutely essential to the decade (no ####) but since this is from a later album it may have been overlooked, so it's time to shine a spotlight on:

Afterhours - Machu Picchu - The Strokes - Indie Rock
I really like this.

They didn't get drafted in here and it seems the hip kids have maybe decided they're not cool anymore but they're still great and 2019 is a category thanks to @Ilov80s, so Let's Go...

2019 - Sympathy - Vampire Weekend
OH WOW!

I love this.

Now we've got that sympathy
What I'm to you, you are to me
Let's go

I'll do another same artist, different years because it's my new schtick

The Beta Band - To You Alone (2000)

Steve Mason - About The Light (2019)

I don't love Mason's new solo album as much as his last one, but About the Light is kind of cool song.  The verse is kind of reminiscent of his old band's best known song Dry the Rain. 

Mason does the opposite of what Lambchop did.  The newer song is much more organic sounding compared to the Beta Band song.  To You Alone is all synthesizers with occasional enthusiastic drumming.

These guys haven't been picked yet in a 2000s and beyond draft?

Afterhours - Crooked Teeth - Death Cab for Cutie

I was at the local pub a few Fridays ago when the acoustic guy was playing and at about 12:30, he played "I Will Follow You into the Dark", he followed with a comment about how he promised he wouldn't play any more death cab for the night. I drunkenly called out "Play Crooked Teeth", he seemed pretty amazed and said, did someone say "play 'Crooked Teeth'?, alright I'll play 'Crooked Teeth'" :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
They didn't get drafted in here and it seems the hip kids have maybe decided they're not cool anymore but they're still great and 2019 is a category thanks to @Ilov80s, so Let's Go...

2019 - Sympathy - Vampire Weekend
They are still cool to me damnit! I had another song of theirs in mind that I will take in the 2019 draft 
Hi kids.  It's me, the grumpy old guy again.  I like Vampire Weekend better than Arcade Fire I guess.

OK, I am going to Spotlight another artist that I previously picked.

I doubt this is new to anyone, but I just want to play and share it...wit chu...

Desert Sessions (Josh Homme & PJ Harvey) - I Wanna Make It Wit Chu - LIVE!!!

Bonus:

Queens of the Stone Age - Burn The Witch (Live Reading Festival 2014)
Love both, Make It Wit Chu is another that was prominently featured at my wedding (for the garder removal thing, I'm not subtle).

I was at the local pub a few Fridays ago when they acoustic guy was playing and at about 12:30, he played "I Will Follow You into the Dark", he followed with a comment about how he promised he wouldn't play any more death cab for the night. I drunkenly called out "Play Crooked Teeth", he seemed pretty amazed and said, did someone say "play 'Crooked Teeth'?, alright we'll play 'Crooked Teeth'" :thumbup:
Gibbard wrote the same song twice in the early rounds.

Kid A was one of my first thoughts for 2000 and then I thought of hip hop...speaking of which.

After Hours

Genre - 2000 Song

Artist - Dead Prez

Song - Hip Hop
I love that album but I never could get into that track.

i did see dead prez at mt Holyoke while visiting my sister in Massachusetts around 2000 or 2001.  Nothing quite like seeing a thousand or so preppy white kids bouncing and chanting “ I’m an African I’m an African and I know what’s happenin”

Kid A was one of my first thoughts for 2000 and then I thought of hip hop...speaking of which.

After Hours

Genre - 2000 Song

Artist - Dead Prez

Song - Hip Hop
I love that album but I never could get into that track.

i did see dead prez at mt Holyoke while visiting my sister in Massachusetts around 2000 or 2001.  Nothing quite like seeing a thousand or so preppy white kids bouncing and chanting “ I’m an African I’m an African and I know what’s happenin”
I missed this one the first time :thumbup:

From what I can tell, she's been drafted a couple times before but usually the Apple song.

I recent years, I've come around on this as her best song and not just because it so obviously sounds like Spoon (I think)...

Afterhours - My Moon, My Man - Feist - Rock

I was at the local pub a few Fridays ago when the acoustic guy was playing and at about 12:30, he played "I Will Follow You into the Dark", he followed with a comment about how he promised he wouldn't play any more death cab for the night. I drunkenly called out "Play Crooked Teeth", he seemed pretty amazed and said, did someone say "play 'Crooked Teeth'?, alright I'll play 'Crooked Teeth'" :thumbup:
I'm embarrassed that I forgot about this - one of my favs post 2000.

I lost a lot of my play lists when I switched services in 2015. This got lost in the transfer.

Love both, Make It Wit Chu is another that was prominently featured at my wedding (for the garder removal thing, I'm not subtle).
HA! This is F'n wonderful!!!

Also, I forgot to note: I love Josh's boots! 

AHHAHAHAHHAHAH this one just came up on shuffled and while this is definitely "of a moment" these guys and this song were everywhere at least for me in the early 00s. Everyone to the floor in the indie rock/dance-punk night club circa 2004 

Afterhours (the only sort of club this is still played, I think) - Club Foot - Kasabian - Rock/Dance/Electronic

AHHAHAHAHHAHAH this one just came up on shuffled and while this is definitely "of a moment" these guys and this song were everywhere at least for me in the early 00s. Everyone to the floor in the indie rock/dance-punk night club circa 2004 

Afterhours (the only sort of club this is still played, I think) - Club Foot - Kasabian - Rock/Dance/Electronic
You can't have this one, without also having

Afterhours (I think this is classified as nu-rave, so put your beer drown and get that molly in ya) - Golden Skans - Klaxons - Seriously this video is insane

My fav from these guys is this:

Kasabian - eez-eh

I'm not sure if it is/was a number 1 hit or a never ran - I just don't know much, other than I like these guys.

My fav from these guys is this:

Kasabian - eez-eh

I'm not sure if it is/was a number 1 hit or a never ran - I just don't know much, other than I like these guys.
Yep, the song I picked, the one you have there and L.S.F. are basically the essential Kasabian songs, IMO.

I'll do another same artist, different years because it's my new schtick

The Beta Band - To You Alone (2000)

Steve Mason - About The Light (2019)

I don't love Mason's new solo album as much as his last one, but About the Light is kind of cool song.  The verse is kind of reminiscent of his old band's best known song Dry the Rain.  

Mason does the opposite of what Lambchop did.  The newer song is much more organic sounding compared to the Beta Band song.  To You Alone is all synthesizers with occasional enthusiastic drumming.
https://youtu.be/VHPLjyvPkBU?t=14

I'm just a Spotlight it seems tonight. Again, going with a previously selected artist - tho - I think this band of his has not been selected yet - he has so many.

The Dead Weather - I Cut Like A Buffalo

EDIT: Live Version (Glastonbury 2010)

Imma gona be crazzy and post alll the lyrics toooo!!!

Yeah, you know I look like a woman but I
Cut like a buffalo
Stand up like a tower, tall
Then I fall just like a domino

[Verse 1]
Yes, well, you can do me if you want to, hey
Do whatever makes you happy
You should try to take it easy on me
'Cause I don't know how to take it

[Segue]
You're a ##### with a pin woman, yeah

[Verse 2]