What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (9 Viewers)

@APMarkLong: Gators get on the board after wasting a down with backup QB Emory Jones. 

Georgia 10, Florida 3.

Pretty much 100% percent of Husker fans think/thought Frost was the right guy for the job and want to give him time.  They now want him to make coaching changes, but he was universally #1 on the wish list.   Was Taggart the #1 choice of the entire FSU fanbase?  It's going to be tough for people to call for Frost's head because many (me included) think he is our last chance to be relevant again.  But he is getting criticized plenty locally.

Nebraska was up 7-0 when our NT intercepted a shovel pass and returned it to the Purdue 3.  The first play from the 3 was a shovel pass of our own that could have been picked.  Followed by 2 more passes and a field goal.  So instead of taking a couple plays to run it in and go up 14-0,  Frost got cute like he thinks we are good enough to just toy with a team like Purdue.  :wall:   We're not.
Yea Willie was the #1 choice pretty substantially. Was a lot of excitement around him. 

Yea Willie was the #1 choice pretty substantially. Was a lot of excitement around him. 
Wasn't sure.  I think it goes back to something else I said.  People think Frost is our absolute last chance.  FSU still has hope.  :shrug:  

UF and UGA are vastly overrated, neither one of these teams is very good. SEC East continues to ride coattails

UGA with basically a 2-1 time of possession advantage. 

Normally I'm optimistic that Mullen will make halftime adjustments but the offense has looked confused and out of synch.

@ThomasGoldkamp: End of the third quarter.

#Gators have the ball third-and-6 at the UGA 34. Likely two-down territory. Don't know that UF has time left to be settling for a field goal here.

Good drive from UF I guess but there needed to be more urgency, way too long. Have to force a 3 and out now 

Good drive from UF I guess but there needed to be more urgency, way too long. Have to force a 3 and out now 
Pretty sure Mullen was intentionally trying to shorten game with tired defense but I think he left too little clock.

The defense is just not good enough this year.  Zero big plays on defense against LSU or Georgia.

Fromm looked like Tom Brady back there he had so much time to hang out in the pocket today.

I don’t disagree necessarily, but why don’t you feel the same about Frost? 
Good question...but NU went an understandable Prodigal Son route, promoting him to the P5...FSU pulled Willie from another P5 job that he wasn’t even winning with. I guess you could say it’s much less surprising with Taggart.

Good question...but NU went an understandable Prodigal Son route, promoting him to the P5...FSU pulled Willie from another P5 job that he wasn’t even winning with. I guess you could say it’s much less surprising with Taggart.
He went 7-5 with Oregon didn’t he? Not great but couple that with 11-2 with USF the year before and the guy wasn’t exactly horrible. 

Should probably go to bed, because I'm gonna go smash through some folding tables in the morning, but hey, San Jose State is beating Boise State by 10 in the 3rd, so

63k at FSU yesterday, down from 78k just two years ago for the same game. If you suppose an average fan spends at least 150 on tickets/food/merch/parking (probably way low) that’s a loss of 2.2M for one game alone. That buyout doesn’t look all that bad in that perspective. 

63k at FSU yesterday, down from 78k just two years ago for the same game. If you suppose an average fan spends at least 150 on tickets/food/merch/parking (probably way low) that’s a loss of 2.2M for one game alone. That buyout doesn’t look all that bad in that perspective. 
Yep, those numbers add up quickly.  Seeing the stadium for the Louisville game was rough.

Father-in-law is here this weekend. I love him dearly but he kills me with his love for Nick Saban and Alabama and his disdain for every other coach and college program. In his opinion, Nick and Alabama are as clean as they come and everyone else is as dirty as they come. He especially can’t stand Urban Meyer, more from his Florida days, than his Buckeye days. I’ve tried to reason with him that every program bends the rules, does questionable things or cheats, including Bama and Nick. He doesn’t buy it.
Two more days of hearing the same things over and over....Nick this and Nick that, Bama this and Bama that, Urban’s crooked, Florida is crooked, Georgia is crooked, etc etc. 

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better! 

Father-in-law is here this weekend. I love him dearly but he kills me with his love for Nick Saban and Alabama and his disdain for every other coach and college program. In his opinion, Nick and Alabama are as clean as they come and everyone else is as dirty as they come. He especially can’t stand Urban Meyer, more from his Florida days, than his Buckeye days. I’ve tried to reason with him that every program bends the rules, does questionable things or cheats, including Bama and Nick. He doesn’t buy it.
Two more days of hearing the same things over and over....Nick this and Nick that, Bama this and Bama that, Urban’s crooked, Florida is crooked, Georgia is crooked, etc etc. 

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better! 
He's not wrong on the bolded

surprised Bama-LSU isn't a night game.  Thought CBS usually did that when the game is this big.  Counter-programming Fox stealing the early window, which may be carry over to later games?

surprised Bama-LSU isn't a night game.  Thought CBS usually did that when the game is this big.  Counter-programming Fox stealing the early window, which may be carry over to later games?
Yeah, surprised ABC put Clemson/NC State in primetime instead of Penn State/Minnesota especially after knowing CBS was putting Alabama/LSU in the afternoon

There are funny rules on the night game.  It's the compromise reached around the secn. This has come up before but way too lazy to figure it out.  

There are funny rules on the night game.  It's the compromise reached around the secn. This has come up before but way too lazy to figure it out.  
from the athletic: https://theathletic.com/1334212/2019/10/30/staples-why-lsu-alabama-wont-be-in-primetime-and-cbs-gamble-behind-it/

I’m writing this column because the most common question all of us who cover college football for The Athletic have gotten this month: LSU-Alabama is going to be at night, right? This is the second-most common question: Why isn’t LSU-Alabama at night?

CBS started advertising the game time (3:30 Eastern) even earlier than usual because executives knew this was going to be an issue. Yet the questions keep coming. So let’s answer them.

The CBS agreement with the SEC — also known as the biggest bargain in televised sports — allows CBS the first choice of SEC games. In most cases, those games air at 3:30 p.m. Eastern. The agreement also allows CBS two doubleheaders each season. One doubleheader includes a 3:30 p.m. Eastern kickoff and an 8 p.m. Eastern kickoff. The other includes a noon Eastern kickoff and a 3:30 Eastern kickoff.

In 2011, CBS opted during the preseason to use its prime time slot on Alabama’s visit to Florida. This backfired. Florida wasn’t very good in coach Will Muschamp’s first season, and the eventual national champ Crimson Tide cruised to a 38-10 win. A little more than a month later, LSU-Alabama looked like the best regular-season matchup this century. The Tigers had beaten eventual Pac-12 champ Oregon, eventual Big East champ West Virginia and defending national champ Auburn. Alabama had steamrolled a good Arkansas team and had a defense putting up historically stingy numbers. It looked like a game between the nation’s two best teams, and CBS wanted to move that game to prime time.

The problem was that, at the time, CBS had exclusive access to the SEC in the 3:30-7 p.m. Eastern window outside of its one contractually mandated primetime game. ESPN had the rights to the SEC after dark. So CBS offered a trade. ESPN would get some first choices in the SEC in 2012 if it allowed CBS to move LSU-Alabama from 3:30 p.m. Eastern to 8 p.m. Eastern. The trade was made, and LSU’s 9-6 overtime win in Tuscaloosa drew an average of 20 million viewers. The 11.5 rating was the highest for a CBS regular-season college football broadcast in 22 years. It also blew away the 4.4 rating for 2010 Alabama-LSU in Baton Rouge and the 4.6 rating for Alabama crushing Florida earlier that season.

For each of the next seven seasons, CBS used its prime time slot on the Alabama-LSU game. Alabama went 7-0 in those meetings. The 2012 and 2014 games in Baton Rouge were classics. The others? Pretty dull. Last year’s 29-0 Alabama win in Baton Rouge was best summed up by this shot from the CBS broadcast.

So it made sense this past summer when CBS executives elected to choose a game between Notre Dame — fresh off a College Football Playoff appearance — and a preseason top-five Georgia team. Only a few teams truly move the meter in college football. Alabama does. Ohio State does. Oklahoma does. Notre Dame absolutely does. And CBS doesn’t get to broadcast Notre Dame games very often — especially now that the rights to Notre Dame annual opponent Navy’s home games are owned by ESPN as part of its new deal with the American Athletic Conference. So in June, this was basically a no-brainer. Notre Dame was good. Georgia was good. Alabama-LSU had become a bloodbath. LSU had promised a more exciting offense, but we’d heard that for years from the Tigers with no appreciable difference.

So CBS picked Notre Dame-Georgia, and when the game was played in September, it appeared CBS got exactly what it wanted. The Bulldogs beat the Fighting Irish 23-17 in a game that was close from start to finish. The game drew a 5.4 rating and an average of 9.3 million viewers. That was lower than last year’s Alabama-LSU game (6.6 rating, 11.5 million viewers), but the CBS crew was betting on another snoozefest between the Crimson Tide and Tigers.

Based on what we’ve seen this season, they’re not going to get another snoozefest. This is the best LSU team since that 2011 group — mostly because of an offensive revolution led by two guys named Joe (Burrow and Brady). Though still very good, this is not the best Alabama team of recent vintage, and the fact that quarterback Tua Tagovailoa missed last week’s game against Arkansas with an ankle injury adds yet another layer of intrigue. It finally feels as if Alabama’s eight-game win streak against LSU is in jeopardy, and viewers certainly have incentive to tune in.

So will CBS leave viewers on the table by not attempting to swap times with ESPN? Maybe. Maybe not. Though the NFL and college football are slightly different animals as television products, one day on the NFL calendar gives us an idea of how viewers behave.

Users who are viewing this thread