Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2020 MLB Spring Training

Recommended Posts

its about time take that to the bank brochachos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

MLB already knew everything

I wouldn’t look for anything too serious to come out of this for the Astros. 

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.  This means they knew they were cheating, and were gathering evidence. Also this is now known by fans, lack of reaction is something that will alienate every other fanbase.  The NFL can get away with this because they have a stranglehold on everything, MLB can’t shove this aside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigmarc27 said:

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.  This means they knew they were cheating, and were gathering evidence. Also this is now known by fans, lack of reaction is something that will alienate every other fanbase.  The NFL can get away with this because they have a stranglehold on everything, MLB can’t shove this aside. 

I think you are taking this more seriously than most baseball fans.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigmarc27 said:

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.  This means they knew they were cheating, and were gathering evidence. Also this is now known by fans, lack of reaction is something that will alienate every other fanbase.  The NFL can get away with this because they have a stranglehold on everything, MLB can’t shove this aside. 

They knew about banging, which is what Fiers told and let the cat out of the bag to the general public. They updated all the rules early this year, probably because of all this. So I’m not sure there’s much of a leg to stand on for any complaints about 2017. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think you are taking this more seriously than most baseball fans.

Considering it’s basically all https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/ is talking about as well as constant articles from all national baseball writers, I think you’re being an oblivious homer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NREC34 said:

@bigmarc27 just out of curiosity, which baseball team are you a fan of?

Braves. 
 

Our former GM got busted for his antics with international signees and was rightfully banned from baseball.  Our biggest stake in this is a lot of shame in wondering what role McCann played in this, but personally as a baseball fan I find all of this disheartening.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Considering it’s basically all https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/ is talking about as well as constant articles from all national baseball writers, I think you’re being an oblivious homer. 

And I think you're being a whiny anti-fan complaining because your team lost to a superior team.  

:shrug:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigmarc27 said:

Braves. 
 

Our former GM got busted for his antics with international signees and was rightfully banned from baseball.  Our biggest stake in this is a lot of shame in wondering what role McCann played in this, but personally as a baseball fan I find all of this disheartening.  

So disheartening.  Ugh.  The agony of it all.  Will you be able to muster up the strength to go on?  I'll pray for you and your loved ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheIronSheik said:

And I think you're being a whiny anti-fan complaining because your team lost to a superior team.  

:shrug:

 

My team lost to the Cards?  Why would I give a #### about the Astros. You guys couldn’t beat our rivals while cheating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

So disheartening.  Ugh.  The agony of it all.  Will you be able to muster up the strength to go on?  I'll pray for you and your loved ones.

I’d rather you not think or respond to me in any regard.  You bring nothing of substance, just denials in the face of every article and proof point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigmarc27 said:

I’d rather you not think or respond to me in any regard.  You bring nothing of substance, just denials in the face of every article and proof point. 

Oh no!  How will I go on?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the Braves haven’t exactly been the poster child for the model baseball franchise recently. 

I will say that if Luhnow gets banned like the Braves GM did, that’s it for the Astros. Bye bye, they will go back to sucking again. 

Probably what most everyone wants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

My team lost to the Cards?  Why would I give a #### about the Astros. You guys couldn’t beat our rivals while cheating. 

First off, the question mark should go after the bolded, not the first sentence.  You seemed to have mixed that up.  

Second, that type of info I just wrote above is substantial.   So that proves your argument that I bring nothing of substance to this (my) thread.

Third, I love how you can't shut up about the Astros cheating, then you ask the bolded?  :lol:  

Fourth, considering you're a Braves fan, I can understand why you're a whiny anti-fan.  To continually win the division but constantly get beat in the playoffs has to leave some kind of PTSD on its fan base.  I mean, you guys are terrible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Not my problem.

Oh, but it is, good sir.  It is.  Please don't do this to me.  I'm not sure how I can go on without your approval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigmarc27 said:

You are a sad man.

No!  Another gut punch.  Why, God, why?  I must not let him turn his back on me.  Our friendship is too great to be soiled by this quarrel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alas, I think the end is nigh for our intercourse.  Tis a shame.  Seemed a good man but let anger overcome his mind, body and soul.

Anyway, how about those cheating Astros?  Amirite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

 

Anyway, how about those cheating Astros?  Amirite?

:thumbup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baseball will be a in a great place if earpieces come out of this. Add in electronic strike zone and I’d be ecstatic. 

All teams are trying to get an advantage. Maybe the league makes an example out of the Astros, idk but seeing as how they’ve known everything we all just recently found out I feel like it won’t be real harsh. 

Heck, I don’t want other teams getting the Astros signs either. The Texas Rangers put up 9 runs in 4 1/3 innings on Gerrit Cole in a game in April this year. Am I supposed to  believe they just did that on their own with no help?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pictures of a tv screen and or laptop dont prove anything imo. Their presence doesn't mean that there is some live feed happening.  Maybe there is/was, maybe  ot but I dont think the fact there is a tv sitting there means any cheating was taking place.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, falguy said:

Pictures of a tv screen and or laptop dont prove anything imo. Their presence doesn't mean that there is some live feed happening.  Maybe there is/was, maybe  ot but I dont think the fact there is a tv sitting there means any cheating was taking place.

Twitter is going crazy with conspiracy theories. 

One clip someone put up shows Springer looking away from the pitcher for a split second and saying that proves something. 

😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

First off, the question mark should go after the bolded, not the first sentence.  You seemed to have mixed that up.  

Second, that type of info I just wrote above is substantial.   So that proves your argument that I bring nothing of substance to this (my) thread.

Third, I love how you can't shut up about the Astros cheating, then you ask the bolded?  :lol:  

Fourth, considering you're a Braves fan, I can understand why you're a whiny anti-fan.  To continually win the division but constantly get beat in the playoffs has to leave some kind of PTSD on its fan base.  I mean, you guys are terrible.  

Man, I didn’t know the Sheik could lay the wood like this. Wow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NREC34 said:

Never seen him go off on someone like that. Do you think it’s real or schtick?

Don’t know, don’t care. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NREC34 said:

Never seen him go off on someone like that. Do you think it’s real or schtick?

I didn't think I was "going off" on anyone.  I was trying to be funny while bigmarc is getting bent out of shape.  That is why I started it with the ridiculous grammar part.  And why I kept joking with each following post.  He seems to have an opinion of me prior to this.  That's cool.  I literally have no problem with him.  :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

Don’t know, don’t care. 

Well, OBVIOUSLY you don't care.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Braves. 
 

Our former GM got busted for his antics with international signees and was rightfully banned from baseball.  Our biggest stake in this is a lot of shame in wondering what role McCann played in this, but personally as a baseball fan I find all of this disheartening.  

The Braves got lucky that Kevin Maitan turned out to be a bust.  It's tough to follow the other international prospects that the Braves lost as penalties for their shenanigans but Maitan was definitely the centerpiece at the time.

He's still 19 and young for A ball but nobody compares him to Miguel Cabrera anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The Braves got lucky that Kevin Maitan turned out to be a bust.  It's tough to follow the other international prospects that the Braves lost as penalties for their shenanigans but Maitan was definitely the centerpiece at the time.

He's still 19 and young for A ball but nobody compares him to Miguel Cabrera anymore.

Seems like it, we still can’t sign international guys moving forward for a bit longer so we’ll see what that does to the farm 3-5 years down the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, falguy said:

Pictures of a tv screen and or laptop dont prove anything imo. Their presence doesn't mean that there is some live feed happening.  Maybe there is/was, maybe  ot but I dont think the fact there is a tv sitting there means any cheating was taking place.

Really?  How about the seeds all over the ground (showing someone was there a while), the towel hung up (for cover), and a handful of other obvious items.  Occam's Razor should be applied here.

MLB should do everything in their power to keep electronic sign-stealing out of the game.  Just my 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, trader jake said:

Really?  How about the seeds all over the ground (showing someone was there a while), the towel hung up (for cover), and a handful of other obvious items.  Occam's Razor should be applied here.

MLB should do everything in their power to keep electronic sign-stealing out of the game.  Just my 2 cents.

As said before, every team has some sort of setup that they can go into the tunnel and see what the pitches looked like.  That's not cheating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that Boras is saying he expects free agents to sign quicker this year.  Hopefully in December we actually have some signings this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

I'm just saying, this is what you hear the announcers saying all of the time.  That they are checking the monitors in the tunnel.  So it seems to be known around the league.  

I'm not arguing that what they're doing isn't against the rules.  I'm just saying that it's a known thing that the announcers have talked about for years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, trader jake said:

Really?  How about the seeds all over the ground (showing someone was there a while), the towel hung up (for cover), and a handful of other obvious items.  Occam's Razor should be applied here.

MLB should do everything in their power to keep electronic sign-stealing out of the game.  Just my 2 cents.

Just to be clear, I'm not on the side of it being OK to use technology to steal signs.  If they did, IMO that is a black eye and I believe flat out wrong.

My point was who's to say that equipment isn't used to look at video of the current pitcher or guy coming in  from the pen? Maybe they watch Bull Durham down there for a laugh or many other possible legitimate reasons.  I suspect other teams have tvs/tablets somewhere for reference to videos, etc. No?  Doesn't men they are getting live feeds.

I must have missed the towel. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

So serious question:  When are these videos and pictures from?  Because this rule was the new rule put in place after 2017.  Not sure exactly when, but after that season.  So if this is footage from then, then this would not be illegal.  Again, I don't know.  I do know even into the playoffs this year I heard announcers talking about players looking at their at bats in the tunnel.  I think it was during the Rays-Astros series that the Bregman was called out on a strike 4 inches out of the zone.  The announcer said something like, "He'll go down in the tunnel, look at that, and I'm sure he'll have some choice words for the home plate umpire on his way to third base after this inning."

So again, it seems like everyone knows they go in the tunnel and look at their at bats.  And when I say "they", I don't mean the Astros.  I mean MLB players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

So serious question:  When are these videos and pictures from?  Because this rule was the new rule put in place after 2017.  Not sure exactly when, but after that season.  So if this is footage from then, then this would not be illegal.  Again, I don't know.  I do know even into the playoffs this year I heard announcers talking about players looking at their at bats in the tunnel.  I think it was during the Rays-Astros series that the Bregman was called out on a strike 4 inches out of the zone.  The announcer said something like, "He'll go down in the tunnel, look at that, and I'm sure he'll have some choice words for the home plate umpire on his way to third base after this inning."

So again, it seems like everyone knows they go in the tunnel and look at their at bats.  And when I say "they", I don't mean the Astros.  I mean MLB players. 

Rules were changed before the season started this year. 

I want to find out the person who was banging the trash can.

MLB knows everything about this already plus others. In my opinion they don’t want everything known by the general public. 

People talking about vacating titles. Should we go back and take it away from the ‘51 Giants then as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

So serious question:  When are these videos and pictures from?  Because this rule was the new rule put in place after 2017.  Not sure exactly when, but after that season.  So if this is footage from then, then this would not be illegal.  Again, I don't know.  I do know even into the playoffs this year I heard announcers talking about players looking at their at bats in the tunnel.  I think it was during the Rays-Astros series that the Bregman was called out on a strike 4 inches out of the zone.  The announcer said something like, "He'll go down in the tunnel, look at that, and I'm sure he'll have some choice words for the home plate umpire on his way to third base after this inning."

So again, it seems like everyone knows they go in the tunnel and look at their at bats.  And when I say "they", I don't mean the Astros.  I mean MLB players. 

Manfred sent a warning to all MLB teams on Sept 15 2017 stating that electronic Spying will not be tolerated. The footage of the tunnel with the monitor being taken down was after game 3 of the 2017 WS from the Astros commemorative DVD. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28116718/mlb-commissioner-says-punishments-severe-sign-stealing-scandal

It looks bad for the Astros right now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

no. just no.

@BianchiWrites: #OrlandoMagic co-founder Pat Williams will once again try to bring Major League Baseball to Orlando. Here's the Sentinel story: https://bit.ly/35gZPGv https://twitter.com/BianchiWrites/status/1196911335407157252/photo/1

 

I’d be cool if the Rays went there. Hell, I’m in Orlando more than I am St. Pete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.