What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (8 Viewers)

You keep saying “it’s just sign stealing” over and over. I can’t tell if you’re purposely downplaying this or you’re just being dense.  It’s not just sign stealing, and referring to this situation as such is misleading. 
It is just sign stealing.  And it's not that big of a deal.  Speeding on the highway is not that big of a deal.  But if you get caught doing it, you can get a pretty hefty fine, have points put on your license and possibly have your insurance rates go up. Pretty significant consequences.  But that doesn't mean that speeding is a huge deal.

Sign stealing is not a big deal.  If something is totally acceptable by using your eyes but not by using a camera, then it's not that big of a deal.  You highlighted one player who was against it.  Do you think the Astros pitchers were aware of this?  Did they say anything?  Hell, Fiers was OK with it while he was on the winning side of it.  Only after he left did he all of a sudden find it to be a terrible thing.  

AND I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH:

Even with all of the new technology, cameras in the outfield, banging of drums, whatever... If you drop signs like you're the third base coach talking to the runner on first, or like you're the manager sending signs to the catcher, then it doesn't matter.  

I think it's utterly laughable that we think sign stealing is ok when done by a human, but not ok when we add a camera.  

I think it's utterly laughable that we think sign stealing is ok when done by a human, but not ok when we add a camera. 
So any technology is OK to use? Maybe a microphone in the visitor dugout? One under the pitcher's rubber?

Not to mention the fact that if catcher has to throw down 5 signs for every pitch - and maybe even change sequence for every batter  - even when nobody is on base games are going to start taking 5 hours and nobody will care who's stealing signs because nobody will be watching.

So any technology is OK to use? Maybe a microphone in the visitor dugout? One under the pitcher's rubber?

Not to mention the fact that if catcher has to throw down 5 signs for every pitch - and maybe even change sequence for every batter  - even when nobody is on base games are going to start taking 5 hours and nobody will care who's stealing signs because nobody will be watching.
Iron Shiek is the same guy who want to eliminate 8 warmup pitches to speed up the game but is ok with the catcher going through several sign changes/dialects/mound visits just to throw a pitch the opposition cant steal using their Ring camera in centerfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m worried that it goes all the way to Luhnow and maybe he gets banned from baseball and everything is going to start going bad for the Astros. 

Why don't base runners use jet packs? There is no rule specifically against it.
I think we should just start with one player per team allowed to use it. Call it the DJ... the Designated Jetpack. 

I think it'd be cool if a guy as fat as Cecil Fielder could lead the league in stolen bases. 

I'm sure it would only be adopted by the AL though. They have a history of ____ing with the game like that. 

You really have to credit a team that can put together a system to successfully exploit something like this. To de-code the signal, then steal it and relay it to a batter between the time of the signal and the pitch, in time for it to actually be useful information for the batter.  Its incredible to me.

You really have to credit a team that can put together a system to successfully exploit something like this. To de-code the signal, then steal it and relay it to a batter between the time of the signal and the pitch, in time for it to actually be useful information for the batter.  Its incredible to me.
They've done a better job than the pitcher and catcher giving signs.  :lmao:

Yeah I feel they pushed the envelope and want to see what comes out of it. I think it probably goes way beyond the Astros. I’m pretty sure it was going on big time in the ‘18 ALCS and the Astros knew without a doubt that Boston was doing it. I think Beltran was the ringleader of the whole thing but I see an article today where he has doubled down on saying nothing illegal was done. 

I think the organization that ought to be most upset probably ought to be LA. Going to be interesting to see what happens in the coming months of the offseason. 

If earpieces/ electronic strike zone happens, I’ll be happy. Baseball needs to keep up with technology and the times.    
Alex Cora - 2017 Astros Bench Coach

Alex Cora - 2018 Boston Red Sox Manager

I learned it by watching you!

I expect a lengthy suspension for Hinch, loss of draft picks, and a big fine. Also, possible smaller suspensions for Cora & Beltran (20 games?)
Haha.  I almost feel like the Astros are slowly becoming baseball's Patriots.   I don't mind it.  I guess that's what dominating several seasons will do to you.  Only wish they could've won another title this year   :kicksrock:  

This is how you'll have to relay signs against the Astros.  Games are going to be 7 hours long.  Deal with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftEFwbpmic&feature=youtu.be&t=10710
I'd prefer that the pitcher and catcher have some sort of device.  Catcher clicks the pitch and the pitcher's leg gets a single pulse, a double pulse or whatever number the pitch is.  This isn't the 1800's.  Baseball can have tech.
You'd probably be ok with the Astros hacking that and relaying it to your hitters.  You're really disappointing me GB.

Yep.  4D chess. 

Put down a call for a breaking ball, wait for the trash can (17'), whistling (18'/19') and just fire one high and tight, several times...is what I'm surprised didn't happen.   

I'd prefer that the pitcher and catcher have some sort of device.  Catcher clicks the pitch and the pitcher's leg gets a single pulse, a double pulse or whatever number the pitch is.  This isn't the 1800's.  Baseball can have tech.
Francesa said something similar 

Haha.  I almost feel like the Astros are slowly becoming baseball's Patriots.   I don't mind it.  I guess that's what dominating several seasons will do to you.  Only wish they could've won another title this year   :kicksrock:  
Need more than one title in your history I think to compare to the Patriots. 

hence my choice of the word slowly and the wish for more titles....it more has to do with the amount of hate and scrutiny for the team
I don’t think anyone would just hate the team if it wasn’t becoming blatantly apparent that they cheat. People hate cheaters, not the Astros. I still love watching some George Springer. 

Get back to me when you have a smoking gun about a camera in center field. 

Otherwise you have trashcan banging on sparse attended September games in 2017. 

It is possible the Astros come clean and open up every can of worms they know on others. From their own intelligence and guys coming from other teams. 

I personally can't wait until they make a 30 for 30 on this era of baseball. It will be fascinating. 

It is possible the Astros come clean and open up every can of worms they know on others. From their own intelligence and guys coming from other teams. 

I personally can't wait until they make a 30 for 30 on this era of baseball. It will be fascinating. 
You weren’t willing to accept the word of a player on the team so I doubt the proof of a camera would persuade you. 

You weren’t willing to accept the word of a player on the team so I doubt the proof of a camera would persuade you. 
I am of the opinion that they did it. 99.9% chance. But....it probably can’t be proven. 

And that they did it because they knew almost everyone else was doing it and them not doing it would put them at a relative disadvantage. 

Mike Fiers bro

The Sox have, not aware of the Yankees but maybe so.  If there’s evidence they continued further then the punishment should be even more severe. 
Sox caught with Apple watches in Sept '17. MLB fined them and put everyone in notice that future violations could result in serious penalties. The Danny Farquhuar video posted by Jomboy happened 6 days after MLBs warning. 

Users who are viewing this thread