What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking - Andrew Luck to retire (2 Viewers)

I respect Luck's decision, albeit was horrible timing for the Colts, but it's a business decision.  They should recoup as much as they can.  They certainly don't owe Luck anything, just as he proved he doesn't owe the Colts, or their fans, a thing.
This is fair. 

I agree with this to a point. My criticism would be timing. Two weekends before the season?  You don’t leave a loyal employer in a lurch.
This is dumb, teams leave players in a lurch with no loyalty every day when they feel it's best to make a business decision. I'm not saying you should maliciously screw a good employer, but it should not weigh heavily in decision-making for your family, health, and happiness. Even good employers don't do that for you. And the Colts for the majority of Luck's tenure could not really be considered "good employers", it's what ruined his body. 

Heading into 2017 the Colts seem to be content to let everyone assume Luck would play. This seems eerily similar. Maybe the timing of his retirement was to avoid fans being strung along any further?

I don't see him coming back in a couple of years. He's making this decision with his personal relationships and quality of life after football in mind. Even if he gets back to near 100% health in a few years he's not going to want to come back and open himself up to another significant injury. Money won't be enough incentive. You don't make this decision without mulling it over for months or years and being very comfortable with your finances. I hope he finds happiness and success in his post football endeavors.

I don't see him coming back in a couple of years. He's making this decision with his personal relationships and quality of life after football in mind. Even if he gets back to near 100% health in a few years he's not going to want to come back and open himself up to another significant injury. Money won't be enough incentive. You don't make this decision without mulling it over for months or years and being very comfortable with your finances. I hope he finds happiness and success in his post football endeavors.
Having a degree from Stanford doesn't hurt.  Having said that, I hope he doesn't go in the direction of TV because he's too ugly.

Having a degree from Stanford doesn't hurt.  Having said that, I hope he doesn't go in the direction of TV because he's too ugly.
Have you heard his vocal quality?  He sounds as if he has just stuffed a whole Pillsbury Grands cinnamon roll in his mouth before he talks.  I would turn the channel--no joke. (No, I don't own ANY Colts and am not a fan of the franchise--his voice is just that unpleasing).

Just wanted to chime in and say that although it's obvious you're doing your best to seem level-headed and rational about this in your posts, how you really feel is obvious. It's leaking through...heavily. But it's a defense mechanism so I get it. This sucks for fans. 

Have you heard his vocal quality?  He sounds as if he has just stuffed a whole Pillsbury Grands cinnamon roll in his mouth before he talks.  I would turn the channel--no joke. (No, I don't own ANY Colts and am not a fan of the franchise--his voice is just that unpleasing).
He's a bright guy. There are better options, but he wouldn't be that bad. You just couldn't show his face and wouldn't want him to speak at all.

Colts were one of the top 6 teams favored to win the Superbowl ...  Colt's are in win now mode  ... They are not sucking for anyone 

If anything they will be "Planning for Manning" ... If Colts finish in the top 10 which they are expected to ...they will not have a chance at a Franchise QB for a few years. Eli's got at least 2 left in him 

Colts have a little bit of history with Mannings and Eli has looked great in Preseason ...this is a match made in heaven and perfect fro both teams now that the Giants have drafted their future. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Colts will need to suck for Lawrence in 2020.
It's the smart move but they will need to suck for 2021. Go with Brissett, stink in 2019, let Brissett walk and go with a complete nobody, get 1st pick, retool with Trevor.

Colts were one of the top 6 teams favored to win the Superbowl ...  Colt's are in win now mode  ... They are not sucking for anyone 

If anything they will be "Planning for Manning" ... If Colts finish in the top 10 which they are expected to ...they will not have a chance at a Franchise QB for a few years. Eli's got at least 2 left in him 

Colts have a little bit of history with Mannings and Eli has looked great in Preseason ...this is a match made in heaven and perfect fro both teams now that the Giants have drafted their future. 
Perhaps Chad Kelly is the guy.  He is better than Brissett if he's moved past his off the field issues.

His timing was horrible and devastating to the Colts and their fans.  Good luck #12 in your retirement, but I'm afraid you won't be fondly remembered like Barry Sanders or Jim Brown, or even Robert Smith.  
Pretty sure he cares mo,re about the quality of his life moving forward than he does about random blurbs on the internet that he won't see anyway

Zak Keefer‏Verified account @zkeefer

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:

• » Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
  • » partially torn abdomen
  • » a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
  • » at least 1 concussion
  • » a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
  • » and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this
6:47 PM - 24 Aug 2019

------------------------------------

If you boo’ed you probably don’t respect the hell players go through for your entertainment

Pretty sure he cares mo,re about the quality of his life moving forward than he does about random blurbs on the internet that he won't see anyway
Yes, you're right, but there won't be any statues of Andrew Luck anywhere in his lifetime.  Unless he becomes President of the US like Jerry Jones said he hopes happens.

Zak Keefer‏Verified account @zkeefer

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:

• » Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
  • » partially torn abdomen
  • » a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
  • » at least 1 concussion
  • » a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
  • » and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this
6:47 PM - 24 Aug 2019

------------------------------------

If you boo’ed you probably don’t respect the hell players go through for your entertainment
He was paid handsomely for it.

There wont be any statues of you either.  How much do you care about that fact?
I'm sure Luck will be successful at anything he does post-football.  He's a smart guy.  My post about the statue was aimed at wanting to be great at his profession.  He obviously won't attain some of those goals as a football player.  Here is hoping he is great in other ways.  The world needs more smart people doing great things.

So boo all handsomely paid people instead of cheering for the reason they were paid?
The fans have the right to boo at whoever they wish, they paid for those season tickets.  Hell, didn't the Eagles fans boo Santa Claus?  The fans were obviously shocked and upset at the sudden news.  I don't blame them for their reaction at that point in time.

The fans have the right to boo at whoever they wish, they paid for those season tickets.  Hell, didn't the Eagles fans boo Santa Claus?  The fans were obviously shocked and upset at the sudden news.  I don't blame them for their reaction at that point in time.
People have the right to be stupid and annoying

You booed him when he went to the playoffs or just decide to boo him for being handsomely paid when he announced his retirement?

His timing was horrible and devastating to the Colts and their fans.  Good luck #12 in your retirement, but I'm afraid you won't be fondly remembered like Barry Sanders or Jim Brown, or even Robert Smith.  
The writing was likely on the wall that this would be a lost season for him anyway. He’s been able to practice only three times since April and they kept delaying the timetable for returning. I think the Colts were thinking that Brissett would be their QB for this season anyway.

As far as "not having a chance at a franchise QB goes," not sure where people want to draw the line in the sand in the NFL draft as being able to draft one.  You mentioned the COlts as finishing in the Top 10 this year (which may not be an option without Luck).

Here are the draft spots for all the current starting QBs (or guys competing for a starting job).

Kyler Murray 1
Cam Netwon 1
Baker Mayfield 1
Matthew Stafford 1
Jared Goff 1
Eli Manning 1
Jameis Winston 1
Mitch Trubisky 2
Carson Wentz 2
Marcus Mariota 2
Matt Ryan 3
Sam Darnold 3
Philip Rivers 4
Josh Allen 7
Patrick Mahomes 10
Josh Rosen 10
Ben Roethlisberger 11
Deshaun Watson 12
Dwayne Haskins 15
Joe Flacco 18
Aaron Rodgers 24
Lamar Jackson 32
Drew Brees 32
Andy Dalton 35
Derek Carr 36
Jimmy Garoppolo 62
Russell Wilson 75
Nick Foles 88
Jacoby Brissett 91
Kirk Cousins 102
Dak Prescott 135
Tom Brady 199
Ryan Fitzpatrick 250
Case Keenum Undrafted

Of the 8 active QB's that have won a Super Bowl, only one (Eli) was drafted in the Top 10. Teams find franchise QBs that aren't early draft picks. If the rest of the team is solid, the Colts could find a suitable QB without needing an early draft pick.

I didn't boo anyone.
You made the argument for people to boo which doesn't show anything positive.

Colt fans have every right to be angry or upset but what would have happened had he played when his heart wasn't in it?  

The angry ones have to think it out a bit more before they lash out.

You made the argument for people to boo which doesn't show anything positive.

Colt fans have every right to be angry or upset but what would have happened had he played when his heart wasn't in it?  

The angry ones have to think it out a bit more before they lash out.
Sorry, but the Colts fans have every right to be angry at this time.  I'm sure many Colts fans are heartbroken over this and to lash out at a football game with boos when you just heard the news is understandable.  The Colts are leaving Luck with a parting gift to not recoup the money they could, so, the Colts have closed the book on Luck and the fans will soon.   But today, and last night, it feels like a death in the family for Colts fans..

Not really, but I don't consider him very good behind the mic either.  He's a smart guy and will succeed at whatever he does, but I personally don't think the media is his calling.
Maybe pops has a spot waiting for him in the XFL front offices...

Sorry, but the Colts fans have every right to be angry at this time.  I'm sure many Colts fans are heartbroken over this and to lash out at a football game with boos when you just heard the news is understandable.  The Colts are leaving Luck with a parting gift to not recoup the money they could, so, the Colts have closed the book on Luck and the fans will soon.
They made a classy move on the money and that gesture could benefit them.  

Who knows?  Andrew might feel better in time and wish to return.  

Peyton returned from far worse.

Users who are viewing this thread