What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking - Andrew Luck to retire (1 Viewer)

Yeah, its shocking more guys arent quitting after their first big contract. 
If they hung around NFL alumni more maybe they would.

Can’t remember who said it but an NFL game is like a violent car crash. If you’ve ever been in one and weren’t seriously hurt, it still takes several weeks before you feel right again. It’s disorienting having your inward parts jostled around.

Imagine getting in a wreck every week for 4-5 months. You’d probably stop driving, ain’t worth it. 

the majority of guys in the nfl dont like playing football. 

If you had a physical job that you didnt like, you made $100 million and you kept getting hurt and having difficulties with recovering, wouldn't you eventually just say "why am I doing this!?!" and walk away? 

Rehab is terribly hard. I had heard he was not doing well with it. I dont blame him at all. It's not worth it and I'm surprised more athletes don't do this. instead they beat their bodies and brains into a pulp that doesnt get them past age 52.

Let's be honest... if any of you won the lottery and got 1/4 of what Luck has made, youd retire instantly!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

If you had a physical job that you didnt like, you made $100 million and you kept getting hurt and having difficulties with recovering, wouldn't you eventually just say "why am I doing this!?!" and walk away? 

Rehab is terribly hard. I had heard he was not doing well with it. I dont blame him at all. It's not worth it and I'm surprised more athletes don't do this. instead they beat their bodies and brains into a pulp that doesnt get them past age 52.

Let's be honest... if any of you won the lottery and got 1/4 of what Luck has made, youd retire instantly!!!
I doubt this part

Really going to miss this twitter account.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Andrew Luck (Ret.)‏ @CaptainLuck_Ret

FollowFollow @CaptainLuck_Ret

To My Men of War — I pray you, do not be afraid. As you forge ahead in battle with Lieutenant Brissett, remember the war we fought, and the victories won. There’s no time to fret as an electric storm lies ahead and we battle in the west. We must emerge true. Hopeful. — Andrew

EDIT The above is fake, this is the real account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capt. Andrew Luck‏ @CaptAndrewLuck 30m30 minutes ago

Dearest mother — The quill has never felt more heavy. I have made the decision to holster my sidearm permanently. I shall battle no more. The decision is difficult, but, as the hogs taught me, I must be true to myself. I am coming home to care for you and the farm. — Andrew

This seems like as good as time as any to break my 9 year lurking streak on this board. 

I'm stunned and bummed out. But not a chance in hell I would've booed the guy if I was at that game tonight. Or any other night for that matter. He was fun to watch, played hard and he owes me nothing. I can't blame him for not wanting to potentially spend another year rehabbing. If I was 30 years old and had that kind of scratch, with a degree from Stanford, I'd probably do the same.

I've suffered through Jack Trudeau, Jeff George and Curtis Painter. (With an all-timer mixed in there somewhere). It could be worse than Brissett.

I wish him the best.
Don't forget Gary Hogeboom...

" A lot of us don't love playing the game" is different than "a majority don't like playing"

But back to the topic of Andrew Luck
true but the point remains. guys play for their own reasons. Lucks reason wasnt because he loves football. and I would imagine many players share that opinion. 

He was frustrated with rehab. at some point you're tired of being hurt. and to work your butt off that often for what? a job he didnt like and certainly didnt need? 

true but the point remains. guys play for their own reasons. Lucks reason wasnt because he loves football. and I would imagine many players share that opinion. 

He was frustrated with rehab. at some point you're tired of being hurt. and to work your butt off that often for what? a job he didnt like and certainly didnt need? 
I think he did love football, but injuries made him not love it anymore 

I'm not suggesting he's not doing the right thing for him or isn't entitled to retire. I'm just reacting to suggestions that Colts fans who don't respond with stoic support are horrible people. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
That's fair, and I agree with you. 

They just presented a "bad look", but this "bad look" was on display for the world to see, and the boos were there for Luck's ears as he left the field for the last time, and that makes me sad.

What about his teamates?  Does Luck owe nothing to them?
Sure, to a minor extent. 

But many of us quit jobs all the time. A couple of months ago I left a job I had been at for seven years, did well for, and was personally very close with the owners of the firm. They were hurt and even some tears were shed but they’ve shown nothing but support and the notion that I should have been booed when making the best choice for my family is ludicrous. Same goes I’m sure for most of us in our jobs. 

This was Luck’s job and nothing in his past suggests he didn’t give 100%. He should be able to quit without being booed. 

Sure, to a minor extent. 

But many of us quit jobs all the time. A couple of months ago I left a job I had been at for seven years, did well for, and was personally very close with the owners of the firm. They were hurt and even some tears were shed but they’ve shown nothing but support and the notion that I should have been booed when making the best choice for my family is ludicrous. Same goes I’m sure for most of us in our jobs. 

This was Luck’s job and nothing in his past suggests he didn’t give 100%. He should be able to quit without being booed. 
I agree with this to a point. My criticism would be timing. Two weekends before the season?  You don’t leave a loyal employer in a lurch. Had he announced 6 months ago and gave the team a chance to plan around this, that’s totally fine. But to do it now opens him up to some criticism (unless, of course, he has been previewing this possibility to the team for a while, which is possible). 

I agree with this to a point. My criticism would be timing. Two weekends before the season?  You don’t leave a loyal employer in a lurch. Had he announced 6 months ago and gave the team a chance to plan around this, that’s totally fine. But to do it now opens him up to some criticism (unless, of course, he has been previewing this possibility to the team for a while, which is possible). 
Fair point. I suppose Luck leaving is like only giving a two weeks notice when there is a big project/trial/etc in two weeks. That’s certainly not the ideal way to go. But, still, two weeks is the expected norm. 

Edit: I recall reading that the colts have been working brissett with the starters and they sat him in accordance with the starters so I have to assume Luck gave them idea. 

This should be the new model for players (obviously only a select few have the clout to do it), but when you have great players and they are on clueless teams with clueless coaching and they jeopardize the next 40 years of your life in a health perspective and the owner is just sitting back counting his money, it's actually nice to see an intelligent player take stock of the big picture and say "I have enough and I've had enough". 

I have no sympathy for the boo hoo people talking about how the team.is saddled with dead cap space and Luck quit and should have given more. That's Bs.  The team.should have built around their special player we linemen and defense and coaching instead of drafting a third speed receiver, etc. They made their bed and it is refreshing to see a smart player make them lie in it for once. No ill will towards the colts.  I like their team. I was looking forward to seeing what they could do.  Just saying it was fair.

And now in the back of my mind I wonder if the Team actually knew this was a long time coming and didn't drink.even more to help themselves.  Is it possible this is why Josh McDaniels did a 180 and it was so "quiet" and nobody actually went after anyone?  They just moved on?  Mmm

He and the team were frustrated with the rehab process. This was to some degree known for a little while. at least is what I heard. 

Add me to the chorus of people who have always wondered why more players don't do this.  The guy has his whole life in front of him and more money than he'll ever need.  Why waste it working a job you don't like?
Because for a lot of them, they got to where they’re at because of their competitive drive.  I’d wager it’s not an easy switch to flip simply because they’ve now “got enough money.”

ETA: And probably just as importantly, I would imagine playing in the NFL is chock full of feel goods...the thrill of the crowd, the competition, the fame, and teammates that are like family.  Not easy to walk away for most when all things are considered.

First of all, you DON'T retire while you're in the prime of your career!  He's not even 30 yet, and he's already going to hang it up?!  I really pray to God and hope that between now and tomorrow when he has the "retirement" press conference that he has second thoughts.  Yeah, I know he's been injured, but I'll repeat the point I'm trying to make: Andrew Luck is in the PRIME of his career.  He's not even 30 yet, which means he's in the PRIME of his career!  This makes no sense whatsoever!
I get it but lets imagine you are an engineer. And by age 29 you have made $90 million dollars. 3 years ago your arm got caught in some machine you work with, you toughed out the next couple months of the project with a bum shoulder and then had to take a year off of work to try rehab your shoulder so you could use it again. Then, this year, there is a collapse at the job site and your leg gets crushed. You are now looking at the potential of having to miss another year of work to do rehab on your leg. I think it is quite reasonable to say you are sick of the injuries, the surgeries, the pain killers, the rehab, etc. and to walk way with a small fortune no matter how good of an engineer you are. 

I am sure there were some some major disagreements, conversations and arguments going on for awhile with Luck and Irsay. Maybe Luck wanted to retire a month ago but Irsay begged him to just wait and see (hoping Luck would change his mind). Maybe Luck didn't really want to retire but Irsay did something disrespectful- like aggressively pressuring Luck to go out and play when he wasn't ready or questioning his injury or toughness. If someone was kind of on the fence about their future at an organization and the hot head drunk pill popping owner puts you on blast or calls you out for being a #####, that could easily cause them to just say f-it and walk away on the spot. Maybe Luck got some new medical news that was worse than expected and found out he was going to have to miss this whole season as well. 

And even more so now as all the evidence comes out about the level of brain damage it can cause

His timing was horrible and devastating to the Colts and their fans.  Good luck #12 in your retirement, but I'm afraid you won't be fondly remembered like Barry Sanders or Jim Brown, or even Robert Smith.  

I am sure there were some some major disagreements, conversations and arguments going on for awhile with Luck and Irsay. Maybe Luck wanted to retire a month ago but Irsay begged him to just wait and see (hoping Luck would change his mind). Maybe Luck didn't really want to retire but Irsay did something disrespectful- like aggressively pressuring Luck to go out and play when he wasn't ready or questioning his injury or toughness. If someone was kind of on the fence about their future at an organization and the hot head drunk pill popping owner puts you on blast or calls you out for being a #####, that could easily cause them to just say f-it and walk away on the spot. Maybe Luck got some new medical news that was worse than expected and found out he was going to have to miss this whole season as well. 
Maybe his heart/head was never into playing in the NFL.  Remember that he turned down the NFL to go back to Stanford for his senior year.  

For the sake of Colts fans and his teammates, I wish this could have all gone down back in the spring.

There were rumors/speculation that the calf/ankle was a very serious congenital issue involving the painful formation of new bone material inside the leg.

I think it had to be something serious to keep him out the entire off-season and presumably now the regular season too. Remember even if he had come back now he had zero practice all off-season, hardly ideal preparation for the season.

I do wonder though if he's feeling better next spring whether there might be a change of heart. This feels emotional and rushed.

I was shocked when I heard this, but then I kind of wasn't once I thought about it. I have been avoiding Colts in all drafts I have done so far because it seemed like something was up with Luck and his injuries not healing, but for it to come to this so quickly?  Crazy. 

I give him full props for realizing that there is more to life than football.  I get that the timing is bad for the Colts, but it is what it is.  

Maybe his heart/head was never into playing in the NFL.  Remember that he turned down the NFL to go back to Stanford for his senior year.  

For the sake of Colts fans and his teammates, I wish this could have all gone down back in the spring.
Maybe but I would think him returning for his senior year says that he at one time really loved football. If he didn’t like football, I would think he would take the first chance he got to start making money for it. 

There were rumors/speculation that the calf/ankle was a very serious congenital issue involving the painful formation of new bone material inside the leg.

I think it had to be something serious to keep him out the entire off-season and presumably now the regular season too. Remember even if he had come back now he had zero practice all off-season, hardly ideal preparation for the season.

I do wonder though if he's feeling better next spring whether there might be a change of heart. This feels emotional and rushed.
Yes, I was listening to something (forget if it was radio or pod) and the person mentioned their sister had this bone development issue in college and she had to give up playing college soccer due to it. If that’s what the issue was, he was likely told he would be in significant pain for the rest of his career. 

Great player, although he was always a weird dichotomy of being able to make most difficult throws imaginable and then misfiring on a surprisingly high amount of easy attempts.  

His timing was horrible and devastating to the Colts and their fans.  Good luck #12 in your retirement, but I'm afraid you won't be fondly remembered like Barry Sanders or Jim Brown, or even Robert Smith.  
I think this has a lot to do with the reaction. He went through training camp and into preseason with the team built around him. The team took the field in the 3rd week of preseason. 

This was August 14, something was up then. And Luck said as much at his presser. It was an accumulation of things. A high ankle sprain doesn't cause retirements. He had a lot going on, and really if anyone wants a glimpse of the future of pushing through look at Peyton Manning who underwent really horrible sounding surgeries and took great risks to return to the field in later years. His father Archie Manning was brutalized behind swinging gate front lines in NO for a decade before being unceremoniously dumped by a new regime, and his reward was banging away for more losing teams as he walked away quietly but nobly. He's a walking shambles today. - My guess is that he knew like 3-4 weeks ago and he just waited until the last possible moment to say it, which really just made it awkward. He did the press conference before he got to tell his own teammates which is a shame, that's not on him either but again last possible moment so it was sloppy. Great player, great guy, he's making the right decision because it's his life.

I'm not suggesting he's not doing the right thing for him or isn't entitled to retire. I'm just reacting to suggestions that Colts fans who don't respond with stoic support are horrible people. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
No they are pretty terrible people. Just like all fans that boo. At least that's we've been told for years here in Philly.

One way or another, fans pay all these guys' salaries. (Not saying they don't earn it...)
If the Colts want to they can get back around 24 million dollars in bonus money from Luck that was prorated per season and pre-paid.  Will be interesting to see how this is handled. 

Calving Johnson is still miffed at the Lions for making him pay back part of his signing bonus when he quit and it was just over one million compared to 24 million..

If the Colts want to they can get back around 24 million dollars in bonus money from Luck that was prorated per season and pre-paid.  Will be interesting to see how this is handled. 

Calving Johnson is still miffed at the Lions for making him pay back part of his signing bonus when he quit and it was just over one million compared to 24 million..
I respect Luck's decision, albeit was horrible timing for the Colts, but it's a business decision.  They should recoup as much as they can.  They certainly don't owe Luck anything, just as he proved he doesn't owe the Colts, or their fans, a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread