Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
snitwitch

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread***

Oh, Lordy - looks like there are contemporaneous notes....

Kyle Cheney@kyledcheney·3m

UPDATE: Malinowski hints that Taylor took contemporaneous notes of what went down re: Ukraine, indicates that career officials (like Taylor) know better than political appointees (like Sondland) to keep records.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

24 minutes ago, That one guy said:

I know this is continuing the discussion in a tangent different from OP, but still...

I think this article would hold more weight if the same party being defended wasn’t also so in favor of things such as drug testing for welfare benefits and stricter voting laws.  Excessive administrative and regulatory guidelines are bad in one area, but good in others.  That contradictory methodology sort of strips away the overall claim of conservatism as small government.  I'm not arguing against such political beliefs, but when approaching support for Trump it’s not like he’s some paragon of conservative policy or ideas, he’s just like the rest in words and deeds.  At that point, comparing Trump the person to other conservative candidates there has to be something else to supporting him.  I won’t go there in terms of assigning those reasons, but in practice, I’d have to challenge conservatism and rule of law as a proclaimed reason.

I've debated this sort of stance since politically aware. Those restrictions on welfare benefits are designed as a curb against state largesse that might exist but for no other reason than profligacy on the part of the recipient. The stricter voting laws are to ensure that only citizens vote and vote once. Simply because there are administrative or executory measures put into place to attempt to ensure an outcome does not mean larger government when the end is actually government that is smaller, e.g., reduced welfare transfers, or steadfastly supervised elections that ensure fairness and the democratic process. Restrictions on government procedures does not mean more government if the ends are to reduce it.

1 minute ago, Biff84 said:

Reportedly they are going to do public testimonies after these private depositions but who are they going bring in? Will it be the same witnesses they already interviewed or what would the plan be?

It would be a mistake to bring in any fact witness for public testimony - if they do not already know what the testimony should be.

Now, there may be some high-drama witnesses called - like Giuliani - just to watch him plead the fifth, or simply refuse to show up when subpoenaed - but, I would expect the witness to be the ones who have already given their depositions under oath.

(I doubt the whistleblower would testify - because I suspect the committee and/or the IC IG have the names of the witnesses - and that is who have been testifying in closed sessions...)

25 minutes ago, rockaction said:

The stricter voting laws are to ensure that only citizens vote and vote once.

If there were any truth to this, then we would have seen widespread examples of non-citizen voting and duplicate voting in states that do not have strict voting laws.

But we already have laws that call for severe punishment for non-citizen voting and duplicate voting. Those laws are an extremely effective deterrent on their own.

I would think that a fiscal conservative would decry strict voter ID laws as being another example of bloated government duplicating adequate legislation already on the books.

Edited by [scooter]
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

If there were any truth to this, then we would have seen widespread examples of non-citizen voting and duplicate voting in states that do not have strict voting laws.

But we already have laws that call for severe punishment for non-citizen voting and duplicate voting. Those laws are an extremely effective deterrent on their own.

I would think that a fiscal conservative would decry strict voting laws as being another example of bloated government duplicating adequate legislation already on the books.

I'm talking about their purported justification, [scooter]. A fiscal conservative, if he or she accepts the premise as true, can easily reconcile his or her belief in those stricter laws with small governance writ large.

It's a validity/soundness distinction. You posit its unsoundness -- which I'm inclined to agree with, actually -- but I'm arguing strictly from a validity sense. That is, if the premises are believed to be true, then the conclusion follows logically and is not an example of bad faith or hypocrisy, but rather, a weak understanding of policy. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zow said:

You didn't belong to the Bethel Young Republicans?

Lol no. Actually I had a Kerry button on my backpack in ‘04 to test the waters and I got A LOT of #### for it. It was eye opening. 

There’s no need for a Bethel Young Republicans IOW. 

Phil Mattingly@Phil_Mattingly

President Trump has said McConnell told him his call with the Ukraine President was “perfect.”

McConnell, asked about that today: “I don’t recall any conversation with the president on that phone call.”

huh, you would think McConnell would have remembered that call...

51 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

A Bakersfield accent even sounds a fair bit like a Texas accent to me.

Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakum are awesome.

7 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

Lol no. Actually I had a Kerry button on my backpack in ‘04 to test the waters and I got A LOT of #### for it. It was eye opening. 

There’s no need for a Bethel Young Republicans IOW. 

:lmao: I can imagine. SJU was pretty even. At Hamline I attended a Republican meeting* or two and realized there was like 4 people and I remember a friend of mine got all mad at me even for going. 

*I attended a wide variety of club meetings and the like where the only consistent element which sparked my interest was the free food provided.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I've never really thought about it but I don't think I've ever had a "perfect" phone call.

I had one with my mom two weeks ago when I called and left a voicemail.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Christo said:

It's right there in their motto--Make America Great Again. I think it's pretty friggin' great even with Great Leader mucking things up. Why, in their opinion, is the US no longer great?

"Economic anxiety"

10 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I've never really thought about it but I don't think I've ever had a "perfect" phone call.

I had one once when calling POPCORN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

Rep. James Clyburn: "To have the President classify a Constitutional remedy to an unlawful egregious act such as lynching is beneath the dignity of the office of President of the United States."

"I really believe this man is prone to inflammatory statements and that is one word no president ought to apply to himself," Democratic Rep. James Clyburn says

"I'm a product of the South. I know the history of that word. That is a word that we ought to be very, very careful about using."

Same people that thought Schiff should  be censured...support the crap like this that comes out of Trump.

U.S. envoy says he was told release of Ukraine aid was contingent on public declaration to investigate Bidens, 2016 election

By 
Anne Gearan, 
Rachael Bade and 
John Wagner 
Oct. 22, 2019 at 2:43 p.m. EDT

The senior U.S. diplomat in Ukraine said Tuesday he was told release of military aid was contingent on public declarations from Ukraine that it would investigate the Bidens and the 2016 election, contradicting President Trump’s denial that he used the money as leverage for political gain.

Acting ambassador William B. Taylor Jr. testified behind closed doors in the House impeachment probe of Trump that he stands by his characterization that it was “crazy” to make the assistance contingent on investigations he found troubling.

Upon arriving in Kyiv last spring he became alarmed by secondary diplomatic channels involving U.S. officials that he called “weird,” Taylor said, according to a copy of his lengthy opening statement obtained by The Washington Post.

Taylor walked lawmakers through a series of conversations he had with other U.S. diplomats who were trying to obtain what one called the “deliverable” of Ukrainian help investigating Trump’s political rivals.

Taylor said he spoke to Ambassador Gordon Sondland, the U.S. envoy to the European Union.

“During that phone call, Amb. Sondland told me that President Trump had told him that he wants President [Volodymyr] Zelensky to state publicly that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election,” Taylor said in the statement.

Former Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter had been a board member of Burisma, a large Ukrainian gas company. Joe Biden is a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

“Amb. Sondland also told me that he now recognized that he had made a mistake by earlier telling the Ukrainian officials to whom he spoke that a White House meeting with President Zelensky was dependent on a public announcement of investigations — in fact, Amb. Sondland said, ‘everything’ was dependent on such an announcement, including security assistance,’” Taylor told House investigators.

“He said that President Trump wanted President Zelensky ‘in a public box’ by making a public statement about ordering such investigations.’

Taylor was called to testify before committees considering whether to impeach Trump because he had raised alarms about Trump administration interactions with Zelensky.

“It was just the most damning testimony I’ve heard,” Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) said in an interview partway into Taylor’s testimony.

Taylor’s testimony had been expected to fill in some blanks about the activities of U.S. officials who appear to have sought Ukrainian help at the behest of Trump and his personal attorney, Rudolph W. Giuliani.

At issue is whether the White House conditioned military aid and a meeting between the two presidents on Zelensky’s cooperation.

“He drew a very specific direct line from President Trump to the withholding of foreign aid and the refusal of a meeting,” between Trump and the new Ukrainian leader, Wasserman Schultz said, “directly related to both insisting on Zelensky publicly say that he’ll have an investigation, that they will investigate.”

link

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I had one back when I was in college--called the local radio station when the "5th caller wins". Hmmm, what I won was an Alice Cooper album; does that ruing the perfection?

WASHINGTON — William B. Taylor Jr., the United States’ top diplomat in Ukraine, told impeachment investigators privately on Tuesday that President Trump held up security aid for the country and refused a White House meeting with Ukraine’s leader until he agreed to investigate Mr. Trump’s political rivals.

The testimony drew what one lawmaker described as a “direct line” between American foreign policy and his own political goals.

In testimony that Democrats in attendance called the most damaging account yet for the president, Mr. Taylor provided an “excruciatingly detailed” opening statement that described the quid-pro-quo pressure campaign that Mr. Trump and his allies have been denying.

Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Democrat of Florida, who sat in on the deposition as a member of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, said that Mr. Taylor relied in part on detailed “notes to the file” that he had made as he watched the pressure campaign unfold. His testimony shed new light on the circumstances around a previously revealed text message in which Mr. Taylor wrote to colleagues that he thought it was “crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign.”

On Tuesday, Mr. Taylor directly addressed accusations surrounding Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelensky, and Burisma, a Ukrainian gas company that employed Hunter Biden, the son of former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., one of the leading Democratic candidates for president.

He “drew a very direct line in the series of events he described between President Trump’s decision to withhold funds and refuse a meeting with Zelensky unless there was a public pronouncement by him of investigations of Burisma and the so-called 2016 election conspiracy theories,” Ms. Wasserman Schultz said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/22/us/trump-impeachment-ukraine.html

3 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

U.S. envoy says he was told release of Ukraine aid was contingent on public declaration to investigate Bidens, 2016 election

By 
Anne Gearan, 
Rachael Bade and 
John Wagner 

The senior U.S. diplomat in Ukraine said Tuesday he was told release of military aid was contingent on public declarations from Ukraine that it would investigate the Bidens and the 2016 election, contradicting President Trump’s denial that he used the money as leverage for political gain.

Acting ambassador William B. Taylor Jr. testified behind closed doors in the House impeachment probe of Trump that he stands by his characterization that it was “crazy” to make the assistance contingent on investigations he found troubling.

Upon arriving in Kyiv last spring he became alarmed by secondary diplomatic channels involving U.S. officials that he called “weird,” Taylor said, according to a copy of his lengthy opening statement obtained by The Washington Post.

Taylor walked lawmakers through a series of conversations he had with other U.S. diplomats who were trying to obtain what one called the “deliverable” of Ukrainian help investigating Trump’s political rivals.

Taylor said he spoke to Ambassador Gordon Sondland, the U.S. envoy to the European Union.

“During that phone call, Amb. Sondland told me that President Trump had told him that he wants President [Volodymyr] Zelensky to state publicly that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election,” Taylor said in the statement.

Former Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter had been a board member of Burisma, a large Ukrainian gas company. Joe Biden is a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

“Amb. Sondland also told me that he now recognized that he had made a mistake by earlier telling the Ukrainian officials to whom he spoke that a White House meeting with President Zelensky was dependent on a public announcement of investigations — in fact, Amb. Sondland said, ‘everything’ was dependent on such an announcement, including security assistance,’” Taylor told House investigators.

“He said that President Trump wanted President Zelensky ‘in a public box’ by making a public statement about ordering such investigations.’

Taylor was called to testify before committees considering whether to impeach Trump because he had raised alarms about Trump administration interactions with Zelensky.

“It was just the most damning testimony I’ve heard,” Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) said in an interview partway into Taylor’s testimony.

Taylor’s testimony had been expected to fill in some blanks about the activities of U.S. officials who appear to have sought Ukrainian help at the behest of Trump and his personal attorney, Rudolph W. Giuliani.

At issue is whether the White House conditioned military aid and a meeting between the two presidents on Zelensky’s cooperation.

“He drew a very specific direct line from President Trump to the withholding of foreign aid and the refusal of a meeting,” between Trump and the new Ukrainian leader, Wasserman Schultz said, “directly related to both insisting on Zelensky publicly say that he’ll have an investigation, that they will investigate.”

link

LOL at Mark Meadows getting out there first saying they heard nothing new that supported QPQ.

“We're trying to see if any witness has a connection between foreign aid and and pausing the foreign aid," Meadows said as he left the Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, or SCIF. "As it relates to the quid pro quo, we haven't had any witness suggest that.”

Just now, BigJim® said:

LOL at Mark Meadows getting out there first saying they heard nothing new that supported QPQ.

Well, he never said "quid pro quo". He only said, "this for that".

14 minutes ago, msommer said:

"Economic anxiety"

How very ambiguous.

10 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

By 
Anne Gearan, 
Rachael Bade and 
John Wagner 

link

Taylor....:lmao:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, apalmer said:

Well, he never said "quid pro quo". He only said, "this for that".

### for tat

ETA  Oh come on.  

Edited by OrtonToOlsen

1 minute ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

### for tat

ETA  Oh come on.  

He likes ####, but not so sure about tats

1 minute ago, Christo said:

How very ambiguous.

Kind of a dog whistle thing, you know in this day and age a white man cannot speak his mind so has to choose ambiguous terms that hold shared meaning for other white people

1 minute ago, Juxtatarot said:

What's wrong with him in your view?

He is the dude from the texts who was put in his place

• Love 1
  • Laughing 2

Oh please, spit out the hook

2 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Yeah, what a joke this guy is:

Taylor is the son of Nancy Dare (Aitcheson) and William Brockenbrough Newton Taylor,[3] who had been a director of research and development for the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).[4]

Like his father, he attended the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, graduating in 1969. The Howitzer yearbook describes his modesty about his many academic and athletic accomplishments, describing him as "a man who is held in the highest esteem and admiration by all of us." [5] In 1977 he completed graduate studies at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government, receiving a Master of Public Policy degree.

After Taylor graduated from West Point, he served in the Infantry for six years, including tours of duty in the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam and as aero-rifle commander in the 2nd Cavalry Regiment (United States) in Germany.[6]

As a civilian he directed the Department of Energy’s Office of Emergency Preparedness before serving for five years on the staff of U.S. Senator Bill Bradley (D-N.J.). He then directed a Defense Department think tank at Fort Lesley J. McNair. Following that assignment, he transferred to Brussels for a five year assignment as the Special Deputy Defense Advisor to the U.S. Ambassador to NATO, William Howard Taft IV. From 1992 until 2002 Taylor served with the rank of ambassador coordinating assistance to Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, followed by an assignment in Kabul coordinating U.S. and international assistance to Afghanistan. In 2004 he was transferred to Baghdad as Director of the Iraq Reconstruction Management Office. [7]

Until 2006 he was then was the U.S. Government's representative to the Quartet's effort to facilitate the Israeli disengagement from Gaza and parts of the West Bank, led by Special Envoy James Wolfensohn in Jerusalem. The Quartet Special Envoy was responsible for the economic aspects of this disengagement.

Taylor was confirmed as United States ambassador to Ukraine by the U.S. Senate on May 26, 2006 and was sworn in on June 5, 2006; he held the post till May 2009.[2]

On September 30, 2009 U.S. President Barack Obama nominated John Tefft as U.S. ambassador to Ukraine.[8] Taylor was appointed Special Coordinator for Middle East Transitions in September 2011.[9]

In 2015 Taylor was appointed executive vice president of the United States Institute of Peace after serving a year in the same role in an acting capacity.[10][11]

Taylor become chargé d'affaires ad interim for Ukraine in June 2019, taking over the role from the deputy chief of mission, Kristina Kvien, after Marie Yovanovitch departed Ukraine.[

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Juxtatarot said:

JAJR*

*Just another Judas Republican. We might as well start throwing out the acronym because we're going to see a lot of them in the coming months.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

1. Dial the right number

2. The person you are calling answers

3. Talk & listen, listen & talk

4. Hang up

perfection

• Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, apalmer said:

Taylor is the son of Nancy Dare (Aitcheson) and William Brockenbrough Newton Taylor,[3] who had been a director of research and development for the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).[4]

Like his father, he attended the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, graduating in 1969. The Howitzer yearbook describes his modesty about his many academic and athletic accomplishments, describing him as "a man who is held in the highest esteem and admiration by all of us." [5] In 1977 he completed graduate studies at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government, receiving a Master of Public Policy degree.

After Taylor graduated from West Point, he served in the Infantry for six years, including tours of duty in the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam and as aero-rifle commander in the 2nd Cavalry Regiment (United States) in Germany.[6]

As a civilian he directed the Department of Energy’s Office of Emergency Preparedness before serving for five years on the staff of U.S. Senator Bill Bradley (D-N.J.). He then directed a Defense Department think tank at Fort Lesley J. McNair. Following that assignment, he transferred to Brussels for a five year assignment as the Special Deputy Defense Advisor to the U.S. Ambassador to NATO, William Howard Taft IV. From 1992 until 2002 Taylor served with the rank of ambassador coordinating assistance to Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, followed by an assignment in Kabul coordinating U.S. and international assistance to Afghanistan. In 2004 he was transferred to Baghdad as Director of the Iraq Reconstruction Management Office. [7]

Until 2006 he was then was the U.S. Government's representative to the Quartet's effort to facilitate the Israeli disengagement from Gaza and parts of the West Bank, led by Special Envoy James Wolfensohn in Jerusalem. The Quartet Special Envoy was responsible for the economic aspects of this disengagement.

Taylor was confirmed as United States ambassador to Ukraine by the U.S. Senate on May 26, 2006 and was sworn in on June 5, 2006; he held the post till May 2009.[2]

On September 30, 2009 U.S. President Barack Obama nominated John Tefft as U.S. ambassador to Ukraine.[8] Taylor was appointed Special Coordinator for Middle East Transitions in September 2011.[9]

In 2015 Taylor was appointed executive vice president of the United States Institute of Peace after serving a year in the same role in an acting capacity.[10][11]

Taylor become chargé d'affaires ad interim for Ukraine in June 2019, taking over the role from the deputy chief of mission, Kristina Kvien, after Marie Yovanovitch departed Ukraine.[

Such a lightweight. How can anyone take him seriously over a political appointee?

Edited by Christo

17 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

That’s that.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

1. Dial the right number

2. The person you are calling answers

3. Talk & listen, listen & talk

4. Hang up

perfection

I'm a "Moneyball" guy.  Get the answer you want, then hang up.

Just now, Christo said:

Such a lightweight. How can anyone take him seriously over a politcal appointee?

Or a reality tv star?

5 minutes ago, apalmer said:

But has he ever donated money to a Democrat?

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:
18 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

That’s that.

Good thing Sondland put Taylor in his place with that text!! :lol:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

i like to write some things down ahead of time that i want to talk about:

1. how i'm very good at going in reverse in my car....

2. why isn't postum a more popular drink....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

He is the dude from the texts who was put in his place

How was he put in his place?

"Call me"

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Because he told them that asking Ukraine for election interference was a bad idea, but they did it anyways.  Total beta.

• Like 1

Taylor's opening statement - going old school - xerox pages...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/opening-statement-of-ambassador-william-b-taylor/6b3a6edf-f976-4081-ba7f-bce45468a3ff/

ETA - technically its photos of the statement taken by cell phone - but it has a xerox vibe...

Edited by Sinn Fein

8 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Now he's the star witness in an impeachment.  Quite a place to be.

4 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Taylor's opening statement - going old school - xerox pages...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/opening-statement-of-ambassador-william-b-taylor/6b3a6edf-f976-4081-ba7f-bce45468a3ff/

ETA - technically its photos of the statement taken by cell phone - but it has a xerox vibe...

tldr....nothingburger

22 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Yes someone actually credible.  
have anything to refute him?

54 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Call me

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 3

21 minutes ago, apalmer said:

Let's see- I could read your lengthy bio of this man, or I could accept @Don't Noonan's description of him as the "dude from the texts that got put in his place."

I gotta go with Don't Noonan. He's been right so far.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1