What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When is the last time you ran? (1 Viewer)

The Iguana said:
Having good shoes is important - some to do with having right type for your running style; lot to do with having enough support. But good chance it's also the extra weight, depending on how much you are talking. I've got from 235 to 192-ish. The more I've lost, the less my feet, knees, and back hurt. Also has to do with making sure I do a much better job of stretching and such now than I ever did when younger. Amazing how much more that matter now than it did when I was 20-something.
Any stretching you can recommend for the feet, specifically the heels?   

I've been the same weight for probably 5 years, give or take a pound.  I dropped 10 pounds when I did Sober February, but promptly added them back doing drunk March.  The heels didn't start barking until this year (I'm 46) and I've tried 3 different running shoes since the aches appeared.  My doctor said to try hiking boots, but I'm not sure that's what I want to do.  Guess I could try it out.  

Terminalxylem said:
I like being cooler, but the air burns my lungs when it's below freezing. Running in Michigan killed me. It's a lot nicer in Hawaii, but I won't run in the sun.
Ha!  I ran a 5K around Walled Lake in Michigan a few years ago.  It was 12 degrees.  Felt like I was inhaling a sweater when I breathed.  No thank you.

I've been the same weight for probably 5 years, give or take a pound.  I dropped 10 pounds when I did Sober February, but promptly added them back doing drunk March.  The heels didn't start barking until this year (I'm 46) and I've tried 3 different running shoes since the aches appeared.  My doctor said to try hiking boots, but I'm not sure that's what I want to do.  Guess I could try it out.  
Where on the heel? On the back or underneath?

tri-man 47 said:
Two things:

1) It might be related to your running style.  Are you a big heel striker?  Ideally, you'd land mid-foot or even fore-foot and 'spring' rather than clomp.

2) What might help in the morning, before getting out of bed, is to sit on your bed and use each foot to "write" the alphabet with your foot ...get the foot moving around in different directions to loosen things up.
A)  I'm just walking these days, but yeah, I'm a heel striker.  If/when I do run (rarely) I try to use my toes, but I get lazy and resort to the heel again.

B)  That's not a bad idea.  I can use the alphabet at night with my wife and me in the morning.   :thumbup:

Biggest thing for my feet/heels has been heel raises/drops. Especially when they start barking, I will intentionally stop at the stairs at work on the way to/from a meeting if I have a few minutes and stretch there. Stand on one foot on the edge of the step and raise up on my toes, hold it, then drop my heel below the stair, hold it... repeat a few times.

Also, get a foot roller/massager. I have this one at my desk at work. I roll my foot over it periodically when they are bugging me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
KCitons said:
Would you like a crystal ball? We have twins as well. (our daughter was 15 months old when the boys were born). I look at the pictures from before kids. Wife and I were in much better shape. I remember my last semester at college, I would hang out in the gym for hours. Play pickup basketball, lift weights, etc. Then life got in the way. I know it's not an excuse. It seems like everything else takes priority over yourself. 
It's a blur, man.  Thank god for Facebook so I can keep track of it all.  I've got two kids in HS in addition to the 4 year old twins, so it's a wild ride at the Malaise house.  When I do get a moment to myself I almost don't know what to do.

Part way into this running thing, my feet really started bugging me - to the point I thought I had an injury. Between doctor google and a couple people, I found the stair stretches and the roller and it only took a relatively short time to start to feel a difference (week or so?). Still took a while before it got to be more an annoyance than a pain but not long to see improvement.

Where on the heel? On the back or underneath?
Underneath.  I picked up plantar fasciatis (sp?) after challenging my out of shape buddy to a sprint during the superbowl and only one heel hurt, but not so much that I stopped walking.  It finally went away, but now both heels ache underneath.  Once I get moving, I don't notice it, but they bark when I get up after sitting or sleeping.

Underneath.  I picked up plantar fasciatis (sp?) after challenging my out of shape buddy to a sprint during the superbowl and only one heel hurt, but not so much that I stopped walking.  It finally went away, but now both heels ache underneath.  Once I get moving, I don't notice it, but they bark when I get up after sitting or sleeping.
This is exactly the description of what I feel. First thing in the mornings they still talk to me some days or if I am at my desk for long periods. Combo of losing 40+ pounds and constantly working/stretching them has it be just an inconvenience rather than almost debilitating the way it was some days before. 

https://youtu.be/RRDC8erSNqw

I do these multiple times a day.  It has really helped since I have taken up running on a regular basis.  

Perhaps it’s still Plantar fasciitis?  

This is exactly the description of what I feel. First thing in the mornings they still talk to me some days or if I am at my desk for long periods. Combo of losing 40+ pounds and constantly working/stretching them has it be just an inconvenience rather than almost debilitating the way it was some days before. 
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to try those exercises out on the curb before walking home.  What you're describing is exactly how I would describe what I'm dealing with.  It's not going to stop me, but my god, when I wake up in the morning, I hobble to the toilet like a drunken hobo.

It very well could be, but it's not nearly as painful as what that felt like.  As Iguana stated, it's just a nuisance now.  Back in February, it was like somebody was stabbing my heel with sewing needles.  But it too would subside, so maybe it's just a minor case now?  
Yes.  I like that video that @xulf linked.  Try that.

36, last time I ran was yesterday afternoon. I got squeezed on time today due to unforeseen circumstances and did not run, which is contributing to the mess that I am right now. Which is why I run. Not just physical health, but mental health. I'm a mental mess when I miss a workout. Exercising is my normalizer. I would rather do forms of exercise rather than just running (and lifting to compliment), but as a father of 3 aged 3-9 I need the timing flexibility and efficiency that running offers. And to ensure I keep challenging myself I race long distances. So I run 2,000+ miles per year. 

It isn't for everyone. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to try those exercises out on the curb before walking home.  What you're describing is exactly how I would describe what I'm dealing with.  It's not going to stop me, but my god, when I wake up in the morning, I hobble to the toilet like a drunken hobo.
I will also tell you that as I've aged, my feet, legs, hips, etc all ache to some extent. It's rare that a day goes by where all components are feeling good.

It's mainly soreness to muscles, joints, etc....so I consider it normal.

One thing you may want to keep an eye on is how long your stride is. It may sound funny, but shorter steps (even though you are running more of them) is actually better on your joints and your muscles. A longer stride puts a tremendous amount of weight on each step. A shorter stride puts less pressure per step.

KCitons said:
Sorry for your loss. 

That's a lot of miles in a week. I should ask where people that run more than a few miles a week, do you have a special place you run every day? Beach, mountains, or just around a track? Do you live in a moderate climate region? Living in Nebraska, we can go a month without the temp getting above freezing. 
I'm nowhere near BassNBrew in terms of weekly mileage or climate.  I currently run about 30 miles per week, and I live a little north of you in South Dakota, where winter lasts (literally) 5-6 months most years.  My running location varies based on the weather.  I generally run 3-4 routes near my home that I know the mileage of.  When the weather is such that outdoor running is out of the question, I hit the treadmill at our wellness center.  I run outdoors as long as it's not raining, above 0, and not excessively windy.  "Excessively windy" varies with temperature -- a mild breeze is intolerable when the air temperature is -5.  

Don't Noonan said:
Since I have started running early in my neighborhood early mornings I have noticed some other people running together.  What is hard for me to relate to is that they are having a full on conversation while they are running.  For me, probably because I am still out of shape, I am not able to comfortably have a conversation when I am running.
I hate running with others. It's the only time per day to myself. That whole mental health thing I mentioned a few posts up. It's my daily reset. 

It very well could be, but it's not nearly as painful as what that felt like.  As Iguana stated, it's just a nuisance now.  Back in February, it was like somebody was stabbing my heel with sewing needles.  But it too would subside, so maybe it's just a minor case now?  
Definitely sounds like plantar fasciitis to me.  Back when I was heavy mine got really bad on one foot from playing tennis.  To the point I had to go see the doctor.  He told me my options were to limit tennis, deal with it or last option was surgery.  They will go in and snip the fascia to relieve the pain.  They typically only do it on really obese patients so he didn’t advise it.  

I decided to keep playing tennis and one day I’m out playing and all of a sudden I thought I got hit in the Achilles.  Horrible pain and after going back to the doc he tells me I tore it- and since that’s close to what they do in the surgery that I just have to wait for it to heal.  I’ve never had pain again - and I was definitely heavier later on and now I do a lot of exercise and running and still no issues.

This morning. 42. I hated running. Hated it. But in the last 3-4 of years, I've come to tolerate it. It's a good calorie burn (though rowing is better). But I have come to peace with running because it lets me escape life and my thoughts for an hour or so. Just me and some angry rap music. Just what I need. I lift weights 4 days a week (lunch break on my work week), so I try to run on at least 2 of my 3 days off. I'm not marathon training or anything, and just run to get off my ### and burn some calories, while also getting out of my own head for a little bit. It's pretty therapeutic. 

Also, like GM, I had foot issues early on, mostly heel soreness. I got some new shoes (even if just the cheapest running shoes you can find.. I got some at Academy Sports for like $40) and added some gel insoles and it made all the difference. 

KCitons said:
I was looking more for people that run outside of training for a marathon. When you reach 50, and kids are out of the picture, do people still find reasons to run on a regular basis? Whether it's just for fun, as part of a sport, or from bees. 
Honestly, when kids are out of the picture I'll probably kayak, hike and bike a lot more than run.  One of the advantages of running is I can leave shortly after I wake up and be back shortly after the kids are up.

I will also tell you that as I've aged, my feet, legs, hips, etc all ache to some extent. It's rare that a day goes by where all components are feeling good.

It's mainly soreness to muscles, joints, etc....so I consider it normal.

One thing you may want to keep an eye on is how long your stride is. It may sound funny, but shorter steps (even though you are running more of them) is actually better on your joints and your muscles. A longer stride puts a tremendous amount of weight on each step. A shorter stride puts less pressure per step.
It's common, but it ain't normal.

tri-man 47 said:
2) What might help in the morning, before getting out of bed, is to sit on your bed and use each foot to "write" the alphabet with your foot ...get the foot moving around in different directions to loosen things up.
I've heard Rex Ryan give this same advice, but much more slowly.

I hate running with others. It's the only time per day to myself. That whole mental health thing I mentioned a few posts up. It's my daily reset. 
I like running with others around, just not "with me". I hate feeling like I have to talk or something, but I love being on a popular trail or such where other people are running too. 

I like running with others around, just not "with me". I hate feeling like I have to talk or something, but I love being on a popular trail or such where other people are running too. 
By "around" I believe you mean in your rearview mirror.

I have been slacking the last few months but when I am locked in, I am mix walking, sprints, stretching and weights 5 days a week with intensity. Sustained running is rough on my joints and boring, but I do like short sprints. 

I would not call it a run, but I did make a 20 yard dash to catch up with a bus that was preparing to leave the transit  center. I'm 60 with a history of skiing and biking injuries resulting in "mashed cartilage".  I've attempted short runs in the past but have continued with bike rides as my cardio exercise.

I gave up on driving into DC traffic for work and take Metro and, weather permitting , will walk 10 blocks to the office. In unfavorable weather condtions, I can take the subway or alternate routes for a drop off closer to my destination.

I'm capable of covering in excess 10k steps per day and some bike riding on the weekends. I'd rather save my knees for climbing  stairs.

Users who are viewing this thread