What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dognerds: Pick the Otis family dog breed (2 Viewers)

The bernedoodle has been mentioned several times. That’s the one we are narrowing down on now. We had a lab for 15 years and are just getting out of mourning. 

As I understand it, they aren’t as crazy as the bernedoodle, generally speaking. glad to see other folks having good experiences with them. 

Rhodesian Ridgeback. I’ve been researching dogs for the last year since me and my family also want a dog. I feel like this breed offers the best blend of protection, love, minimal shedding, overall awesomeness.
Another great suggestion. My uncle has had two of these. Great dogs. 

Oats - my SIL has two of the designer doodle breeds, one Chesapeake Bay and one Yellow Lab. They are both high energy idiots and you'd be looking for a new home for them very quickly IMO.

The ideal dog for the Oats family is a Great Dane. Giant lazy mofos, doesn't require a ton of walking / exercise. I do like you're idea of a greyhound since they are also low energy. Stay away from any shepherds or really any working dogs IMO, so that takes the Cur out of your list.

Curs are working dogs and generally require a lot of exercise or will get destructive. We have two Catahoula Leopards (in the Cur family) and one is a pretty lazy guy (breeder told us he had zero interest in working or hunting) and one high energy guy. Tons of work. Very protective of the family though.

Whatever you do research the breed extensively, find a dog that fits the Oats lifestyle....ie won't get a ton of exercise or work.
A friend had one of these dogs and it was deaf. He was told it was a very common trait in this breed. Have you experienced that?

labradoodle's are great dogs.  Little to no shedding and super friendly.

Just make sure to get it from a reputable breeder where you can see the mom/dad are healthy.

A friend had one of these dogs and it was deaf. He was told it was a very common trait in this breed. Have you experienced that?
If they are double merle they have a 25% chance of blindness and 25% chance of deafness. I have a blue double merle and a patchwork (mix of merle, solid, black, tan, etc). Both are awesome, I'll never have another breed. They are not for everyone though, lots of work and they are a dominant breed so training is a must.

ETA Double merle means they bred two merle dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are double merle they have a 25% chance of blindness and 25% chance of deafness. I have a blue double merle and a patchwork (mix of merle, solid, black, tan, etc). Both are awesome, I'll never have another breed. They are not for everyone though, lots of work and they are a dominant breed so training is a must.

ETA Double merle means they bred two merle dogs.
The song, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp by Led Zeppelin is a song about Robert Plant’s Dog which was a Merle. 

Ah caught you smiling at me,
That's the way it should be,
Like a leaf is to a tree, so fine
Ah all the good times we had,
I sang love songs so glad
Always smiling, never sad, so fine

As we walk down the country lanes,
I'll be singing a song, hear me calling your name
Hear the wind within the trees,
Telling mother nature 'bout you and me

Well if the sunshine's so bright,
Or on our way it's darkest night
The road we choose is always right, so fine
Ah can your love be so strong
When so many loves go wrong
Will our love go on and on and on and on and on and on?

As we walk down the country lanes,
I'll be singing a song, Hear me calling your name
Hear the wind within the trees,
Telling mother nature 'bout you and me

My, my la de la come on now it ain't too far,
Tell your friends all around the world,
Ain't no companion like a blue eyed merle
Come on now well let me tell you,
What you're missing, missing, 'round them brick walls

So of one thing I am sure,
It's a friendship so pure,
Angels singing all around My dog is so fine
Yeah, ain't but one thing to do
Spend my nat'ral life with you,
You're the finest dog I knew, so fine
When you're old and your eyes are dim,
There ain't no old shep gonna happen again,
We'll still go walking down country lanes,
I'll sing the same old songs, hear me call your name

What is the dog for?  Companionship for the girls, a lap dog, one that can sit with them in a chair or sleep in their bed?  Is it for accompanying your wife on walks and offering a modicum of protection?  Is it for running with you and for keeping birds out of your covered porch?  What?

If this is truly for the girls and not you reconsider a small, embarrassingly small, even emasculating dog like a peekapoo.  Hypoallergenic, easy to train, they take small dumps, and they are cute as a bug since they are hardly any bigger than one.  (Oh, if you don't think #### size and frequency is a factor you are not thinking)  Also you have to consider a small dog can get all of the exercise it needs indoors during those two day blizzards you guys get.  Not so for the larger dogs who will want to go out and stay out, but only if you are with them.  If you also want a dog then get one you want not trying to compromise to meet the girls needs since those will already be met.

What is the dog for?  Companionship for the girls, a lap dog, one that can sit with them in a chair or sleep in their bed?  Is it for accompanying your wife on walks and offering a modicum of protection?  Is it for running with you and for keeping birds out of your covered porch?  What?

If this is truly for the girls and not you reconsider a small, embarrassingly small, even emasculating dog like a peekapoo.  Hypoallergenic, easy to train, they take small dumps, and they are cute as a bug since they are hardly any bigger than one.  (Oh, if you don't think #### size and frequency is a factor you are not thinking)  Also you have to consider a small dog can get all of the exercise it needs indoors during those two day blizzards you guys get.  Not so for the larger dogs who will want to go out and stay out, but only if you are with them.  If you also want a dog then get one you want not trying to compromise to meet the girls needs since those will already be met.
Great points.

Poop size is indeed important. Our dog is so small that she goes in a designated area of our back yard and we never need to pick it up. So great not to have to pick up poop every day. When you have a giant dog and you’ve picked up your 1,000th pile of warm crap, you may be reconsidering your choice.

As for exercise for my small dog, we play chase all over the house and up and down the stairs. I throw the ball down the hall and she runs full out to fetch it every single time. So no need to go out in the cold or the blazing heat for exercise.

The downside is you have to accept your status as a small dog guy. 

Let me start with #nopitbulls

Our girls are young and love dogs and we are considering further complicating our lives with a dumb animal.  We’ve decided we don’t want something that sheds hair all over our crap or that leaves our house smelling like a barn, so we want something that doesn’t shed and is hypoallergenic. Otis prefers a bigger dog. 

Mrs. O seems set on a labradoodle, but is willing to do one of the bigger ones. I may be OK with that, but I’m also interested in a mountain cur or an Italian greyhound. 

Thoguhts/ recommendations?  Requirements are we don’t want hair all over the place and don’t want the place to smell like ###, something good for a family and kids, and (for Otis), a breed that is hypoallergenic, and something that isn’t small and totally lame (I had a west highland terrier growing up). 

TIA 
I was going to say Boston Terrier, but I guess that is out.  We had a Boston for 14 years until we had to put him down a couple months ago and would definitely do another one if we decide to get another animal.  Exercise needed is minimal, is great with kids, loves to please and play fetch, and is a very loving dog.  They aren't your typical "small" dog and make a great house dog and family pet.  

Don’t know about allergies, but I once owned a boxer - best dog I’ve ever had. Smart, energetic, non-barky and not something you’ll ever see dressed in a sweater or riding in a stroller.

have you given any considerashun to heading to a shelter and taking in a rescue that would be awesome because you get a pet and you save an animal take that to the bank bromigo

Couple of guys mentioned it up above but you should check out the Rhodesian Ridgeback. We have had few dogs and have always gone with shelter dogs but if I were going to get a pure bred, it would be the Ridgeback! We had friends that had five of them (at the same time). Such cool dogs! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback
This breed is on my to do list. Always intrigued me. The one thing I've consistently read is that you better be active with this breed, they have near endless energy.

Cane Corso
Love Cane Corsos but probably too much dog for Otis.  My roommate in NYC used to have one.  Still remember living in Chinatown/Soho area and all the Chinese people running away from me when I'd walk it down the street.  That thing was a beast.  Also great for meeting women outside of bars.  

Couple of guys mentioned it up above but you should check out the Rhodesian Ridgeback. We have had few dogs and have always gone with shelter dogs but if I were going to get a pure bred, it would be the Ridgeback! We had friends that had five of them (at the same time). Such cool dogs! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback
I MENTIONED RIDGEBACKS FIRST!!!! What do I win??

@Otis - why have you disappeared?  What do you think about the Ridgebacks?  I've been researching just like you (with a lot of picky standards) for over a year.  Wife still isn't ready but when we are, the whole family has decided on the Rhodesian Ridgeback.  From everything I've read and witnessed (know 2 people with them), they are the PERFECT dog for what I am looking for and I think what you're looking for too.

Great points.

Poop size is indeed important. Our dog is so small that she goes in a designated area of our back yard and we never need to pick it up. So great not to have to pick up poop every day. When you have a giant dog and you’ve picked up your 1,000th pile of warm crap, you may be reconsidering your choice.

As for exercise for my small dog, we play chase all over the house and up and down the stairs. I throw the ball down the hall and she runs full out to fetch it every single time. So no need to go out in the cold or the blazing heat for exercise.

I have a maltipoo and I might love her more than I love my wife.

Bad news about Rhodesian Ridgebacks.  Great dogs, but well known for fits of uncontrollable projectile diarrhea. Very sensitive stomachs.

have you given any considerashun to heading to a shelter and taking in a rescue that would be awesome because you get a pet and you save an animal take that to the bank bromigo
He's not gonna risk getting a lemon at the shelter.  I'm sure he wants pure bloodlines where you can meet the mom/dad of the puppy to make sure it's gonna be a good dog. 

I admire those who adopt from shelters, as long as they aren't pits, but it's far more risky getting one from a shelter.

I’m sure Mrs O has 8 roomba’s on each floor so who cares about a little shedding.  You have kids? Get an English lab. Chocolate or yellow. Best family dogs on earth. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Rhodesian Ridgeback. I’ve been researching dogs for the last year since me and my family also want a dog. I feel like this breed offers the best blend of protection, love, minimal shedding, overall awesomeness.
I would second this. I had one for ten years until last January. She was an amazing dog. They are an amazing breed for so many reasons. I won't bore you with all the details, but really, research out this breed and see if their tendencies jive with your families expectations.

Great points.

When I, a large, burly, lumberjack looking fellow walk my daughters peekapoo, Maggie Snowflake Sparkles, the neighbors get a smile.  During the winter, to add to my humiliation, my wife puts a sweater on the dog.  All part of being a dad.

I grew up with Shepards, labs, and Springer Spaniels, an excellent dog.  Our family dog is, however, not for me, it is for my wife and daughter.

No shtick, get a male dog. In general, they are more loving and friendly.
I much prefer females.  They are naturally a beta personality, looking for a pack leader.  makes them easy to train and nurturing by nature.  Much less likely to roam.  of course the latter is somewhat curtailed by fixing them.

Yea, the female is def spazzier. The do shed the small rust colored hairs. 

Def need to get them out. We have a 60x100 lot and a decent sized yard. Little built in doggie door into the house. Whenever they see/smell/hear someone walking by our corner lot house (every 15min!) they go flying out the door to go say what's up
Yep I wouldn't get a Vizsla if you don't have an outside area suitable for a dog or have the time to take it for frequent and long walks.

People run marathons with Vizslas, they were bred to hunt ALL day.

We have a half lab / half vizsla I love the dog but he will wear you out if you don't wear him out first.

If I had my choice I would get a blue German shepherd. They’re awesome and somewhat rare and great dogs. But Mrs. O is against it. 
That dog looks awesome. But 2 hours a day of exercise?  Given that you are at work all day, Wifey is going to have to commit to a lot of daily walks and trips to the dog park unless you have a fenced in yard.

https://www.allthingsdogs.com/blue-german-shepherd/

The Blue German Shepherd is no different than a traditional tan Shepherd (apart from their color), so due to the fact they were bred to work, German Shepherd Dogs require a lot of exercise.

When full grown, like most shepherds, these active dogs need around 120 minutes of exercise a day.

Whilst growing, they need much less exercise, around 5 minutes for every month of their life (for example, a 9-month-old German Shepherd Puppy should be walked for around 45 minutes a day).

Ideally, these walks should be spread throughout the day, as GSD do not do well with being cooped up.

Access to a penned in outdoor area, or a garden, may help with their exercise needs too, as it will allow the dog to self-exercise, but, this is not a suitable replacement for a good walk!

You may also wish to try taking your dog swimming, running or hiking with you.

Dogs that do not get enough exercise may become destructive due to frustration.

Don't get a dog. You don't have the time
Honestly, unless your wife is willing to commit the time, this is really the right answer. It's not a decision to take lightly and it's not fair to the dog to not have the time to care for it every day.

There are about a hundred different doodle dogs out there. You know what they all have in common? poodles. You can get a vanilla Coke or Cherry Coke and diet Coke and Coke zero or whatever, but just a coca cola is the best.

if your own self-esteem it's threatened by their intelligence and attractiveness, then by all means get an inferior dog

I was going to say Boston Terrier, but I guess that is out.  We had a Boston for 14 years until we had to put him down a couple months ago and would definitely do another one if we decide to get another animal.  Exercise needed is minimal, is great with kids, loves to please and play fetch, and is a very loving dog.  They aren't your typical "small" dog and make a great house dog and family pet.  
Second the Boston if bigger dog isn't a dealbreaker.

I've had several breeds and Bostons are my favorite.  Low maintenance, smart, don't shed, don't smell, happy and funny.  

Mrs. O in communication with a breeder in North Carolina.  She has some Irish Doodles coming in December.  Supposedly non-shedding and great dogs, and these will be mid-sized, a nice compromise between the lap dogs and not lap dogs.

We'll see.

boilerdave said:
This post deserves all the likes. Please atleast consider a rescue Otis.
Considered.  Motion denied
There are breed specific rescues out there for damn near every breed imaginable. My neighbor just rescued a 2 year-old goldendoodle that is a great dog and came well-trained. My other neighbor just rescued a Great Pyrenees puppy from someone who had the dog shipped across the country and was second guessing their decision to manage such a big dog. 

Not only do you save a dog from possibly being euthanized, you get the dog for waaaaaay less money than buying from a breeder. Out here in CA there are is an abundance of poodle breeds and pitbulls (which I realize you are against)

There are breed specific rescues out there for damn near every breed imaginable. My neighbor just rescued a 2 year-old goldendoodle that is a great dog and came well-trained. My other neighbor just rescued a Great Pyrenees puppy from someone who had the dog shipped across the country and was second guessing their decision to manage such a big dog. 

Not only do you save a dog from possibly being euthanized, you get the dog for waaaaaay less money than buying from a breeder. Out here in CA there are is an abundance of poodle breeds and pitbulls (which I realize you are against)
Don't worry. O's dog will be listed for adoption on those rescue site's soon enough.

With little kids in my home, and their friends in the home, I just am not the guy to take that risk.  And if the dog ends up a snapping, nasty jackhole and I have to give it up, that's three girls' hearts I've broken.  Sorry, I'm not the one in a position to be dog saver guy.  

Most of the rescues seem to be pit mixes. If you want to be mad at anyone for the massive number of rescues, let's blame all the pit bull nerds with neck tats fueling their proliferation.  It's neither a problem of my own making, nor one that I'm in any position to fix or, frankly, care all that much about.  Sorry, I know that makes the dog peeps really angry. 

With little kids in my home, and their friends in the home, I just am not the guy to take that risk.  And if the dog ends up a snapping, nasty jackhole and I have to give it up, that's three girls' hearts I've broken.  Sorry, I'm not the one in a position to be dog saver guy.  
its fair brohan but someday somewhere i hope you rescue a nonpitbull take that to the bank

Users who are viewing this thread