What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Barbershop - Raising Prices As They Re-Open (1 Viewer)

What do you think of the Barbershop starting haircut auction bids at twice regular price when they r

• Totally Fine

Votes: 69 37.7%
  • Mostly Fine

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Barely Fine

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Kind of Not Cool

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Not Cool

Votes: 23 12.6%
  • Totally Not Cool

Votes: 20 10.9%

• Total voters
I didn't vote but I appreciate the ingenuity despite thinking this is a bad business decision. 

None of this seems like it would lead to any new clientele but definitely seems like it could lead to losing a few clients.

Sure there is going to be a mad rush when things start to open up and yes this business may have to take less clients in if they can't seat multiple people but I think the people willing to get in on an auction and pay 2-4x more are so much fewer than the people who would get an appointment pay the standard fee and tip/donate to support a business. 

I'm not a grudge holder or big on principles. If this were my place I wouldn't want the hassle of binding and would just go elsewhere until I can get a spot as I normally would.

Hair is not that important to me despite the thick set of hair I possess that gets gelled daily. 

Thank you. I work as an essential worker in a grocery store. I do everything from Cashier, to checking, to cleaning, etc etc. One of my customers a regular came in maybe 2-3 weeks ago after this started. During a down period (I know surprising in a grocery store that early) she was talking to me. She said she hoped after this is over we as Grocery store employees get way more respect after this and people are more kind and show some empathy. A few customers have been tipping employees (not just my store but other places as well) for working. And I'm not talking $2-4 here either. I've gotten two $20 tips from people, a $10 tip etc. Customers just showing their appreciation for us. We aren't suppose to take them but at the same time what is the employer going to do Fire people they need? Plus I think since my department is considered a cafe we are technically allowed to get tips where other parts of the store can't. Its a lot easier though when customers show you respect. 

I hate the white collar Privileged people or those better off then most of us complaining about exactly you said. My favorites are those who have been Furlough and will go back to work eventually complaining about not working. A ton of essential businesses have job openings including grocery stores. Go work there for a bit. Maybe you'll learn some empathy and appreciate what these people finally do. 
Unless your paying 70k going to work would be -EV

For some reason I'm OK with auctioning off haircuts, but not OK with general price gouging...
I hear you. 

And I think that's what caught my eye on this and made me question why I might feel one way about but feel differently if it were a restaurant. It's interesting. 

I hear you. 

And I think that's what caught my eye on this and made me question why I might feel one way about but feel differently if it were a restaurant. It's interesting. 
Around Christmas we have a boat parade where all of the boats are lit up and decorated for the holidays.  One restaurant on the water auctions off the window seats every year and gives the money to a local toy drive.   In this case, the "charity" is the business that's lost a bunch of money while it was closed.  If people want to support them, I really don't see any problem at all.   I can't see anyone getting mad at them or them losing business. 

If there's the demand for it, why not?

I've been cutting my own hair since 15 so hasn't been issue for me with covid but have seen others out and about and don't doubt barbers will be jam packed for awhile :lol:

Do you have a problem if other businesses double the prices too? Integrity matters in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you. 

Just thinking about this a bit more.
If a barber wanted to auction off appointments and keep the haircut the same price I would even better with that. It's essentially the same as selling the service to the highest bidder, but just that little twist makes it more palatable. Marketing matters I guess.

Just thinking about this a bit more.
If a barber wanted to auction off appointments and keep the haircut the same price I would even better with that. It's essentially the same as selling the service to the highest bidder, but just that little twist makes it more palatable. Marketing matters I guess.
It is selling the service to the highest bidder. This just makes them sound sleazy, like they're trying to hide it.

Voted Totally Fine.

All the barber shops - which of course I never go to because I have beautiful flowing locks that should be on the cover of a romance novel - and hair salons are hurting for certain. Do what you gotta do.

Tip big if you are able, tough year for barbers & stylists.

Dead serious, my girl Ellie is getting a $100 tip the next time I can get in there.
What’s normal? Cristin gets $50 because she gives me her friends & family rate of $75. Her usual price is $400.

Y’all should do 6 months in NYC, at least once in your life. You’ll be matching the rate when you go back out to the suburbs & hit Supercuts or Fantastic Sams.

:lol:

I voted prematurely before I fully understood the situation.  Change one of the "kind of not cool's" to "totally fine".

I have been going to the same barber for 28 years.  He has become much more than a barber.  If, when he opens, he tells me the price of a haircut is now double...I'd pay him but would be pretty pissed about it while doing so.  If he said prices are the same...I'd probably pay him double or triple as a tip of my own volition and feel good about it.  I know he is hurting financially.  I wouldn't mind helping him out.  If he told me they were auctioning appointments, I would probably put in a sizable bid and be happy about it.  Again, it wold be helping him out.  End results might all be about the same, but it is sort of weird that I would be upset at the first "forced" payment, but completely at ease and actually feel good about the later two scenarios.    

What’s normal? Cristin gets $50 because she gives me her friends & family rate of $75. Her usual price is $400.

Y’all should do 6 months in NYC, at least once in your life. You’ll be matching the rate when you go back out to the suburbs & hit Supercuts or Fantastic Sams.

:lol:
Diesel Barbershop here.. $40 haircut, usually tip $15.

Pretty expensive for guys in San Antonio.   :lol:

Diesel Barbershop here.. $40 haircut, usually tip $15.

Pretty expensive for guys in San Antonio.   :lol:
I’m sure I never spent more than $15-20 around Detroit. I distinctly remember paying $45 in early 2000 in Brooklyn because it was sticker shock. Until I started asking friends what they paid.

Golf reopens next Tuesday.   All tee times for every public course are already filled.   Seems like they could have auctioned off the tee times for the first day open if they wanted to and made a killing.   I would have been fine if they made some extra money and some people had to wait until Wednesday to play.

Or maybe they applied and got lucky or made the cut  :shrug:
Zero chance.  Banks will always give preferential treatment to their better customers. Don't be naive. AutoNation got 100 million bucks of money that was reserved for small businesses through dozens of applications that were applied for. The Lakers, Shake Shack, and others also got them.   A lot of them are returning the money due to the backlash--but the idiot banks that approved that money should also face backlash.   I can tell you firsthand that the vast majority of small business owners that I know that applied for the money early in the game have been denied.   Yet--somehow Boeing--a company that lied about the safety of a plane that ended up being a death trap and killing a lot of people will get money instantly.  Mark my words--cruise companies will end up getting money while small businesses are forced to close even though they register their vessels outside of the US to avoid paying taxes---even though their lack of sanitation helped the spread of the virus like wildfire.

This country better start respecting and treating small business right before we turn into a land thats filled with nothing but wal-marts, amazon distribution centers, and olive gardens.  I hope that people that can afford paying their barbers double will also support ma and pa restaurants, local breweries, and local retailers as well.   

Zero chance.  Banks will always give preferential treatment to their better customers. Don't be naive. AutoNation got 100 million bucks of money that was reserved for small businesses through dozens of applications that were applied for. The Lakers, Shake Shack, and others also got them.   A lot of them are returning the money due to the backlash--but the idiot banks that approved that money should also face backlash.   I can tell you firsthand that the vast majority of small business owners that I know that applied for the money early in the game have been denied.   Yet--somehow Boeing--a company that lied about the safety of a plane that ended up being a death trap and killing a lot of people will get money instantly.  Mark my words--cruise companies will end up getting money while small businesses are forced to close even though they register their vessels outside of the US to avoid paying taxes---even though their lack of sanitation helped the spread of the virus like wildfire.

This country better start respecting and treating small business right before we turn into a land thats filled with nothing but wal-marts, amazon distribution centers, and olive gardens.  I hope that people that can afford paying their barbers double will also support ma and pa restaurants, local breweries, and local retailers as well.   
Or maybe they applied and got lucky or made the cut :shrug:

I mean, I get #### happens but the national news is not going to report that Dina's nail salon got 45k when it can lead with Shake Shack got 10MM!

Or maybe they applied and got lucky or made the cut :shrug:

I mean, I get #### happens but the national news is not going to report that Dina's nail salon got 45k when it can lead with Shake Shack got 10MM!
There is no cut to be made. This was supposed to be government guaranteed funding to small businesses. Like I said--we applied within 4 hours of it opening---and its nearly 2 months later.  It is not the job of the government to force your business closed and then the job of a bank to determine if they should give you the money that the same goverment said they would give you.    This is not a raffle--where there is a cut--this is peoples lives--that basically are being destroyed by decisions that the government and bankers made. I'm not sure how it makes you feel better that they are playing Russian roulette with peoples lives while constantly backing the big boys. 

The real pisser for the barbers is that they are bound to be customers who tip less or not at all as a result of the higher prices.  And those people suck.
My barber runs her own shop. If she charges $25 and I tip $50, she gets $75. If she triples her price and I tip nothing, she gets $75. It'll be her call what way she goes. But if she triples her prices, I certainly won't be tipping at anywhere near the rate I would if she kept the price reasonable.

My barber runs her own shop. If she charges $25 and I tip $50, she gets $75. If she triples her price and I tip nothing, she gets $75. It'll be her call what way she goes. But if she triples her prices, I certainly won't be tipping at anywhere near the rate I would if she kept the price reasonable.
Thanks. That gets into another angle too. Sort of the mandatory tipping idea. Which is a different (and interesting) area. 

It's a thing of what's better?

$100 dinner with a $30 tip so the business gets $130.

Or $130 dinner with no tip and built in gratuity and the business gets $130.

It's something Danny Meyer and the Restaurant industry had been wrestling with before all this. It's a different topic, but interesting. 

Thanks. That gets into another angle too. Sort of the mandatory tipping idea. Which is a different (and interesting) area. 

It's a thing of what's better?

$100 dinner with a $30 tip so the business gets $130.

Or $130 dinner with no tip and built in gratuity and the business gets $130.

It's something Danny Meyer and the Restaurant industry had been wrestling with before all this. It's a different topic, but interesting. 
There's a danger in mandatory tipping in that it lowers the requirement, if you will, to provide good service since the tip is already "earned." The other side of the coin is sometimes great service results in no tip because some people suck. I see both sides. Applicable for restaurants, not so much for hair since obviously if my barber sucks, I will simply find another barber.

And wanted to say thanks to everyone for the discussion. This is how I think our board works best when people discuss not just what they think but why they think it. Well done.

For where I was, I think I was on the fence leaning towards a little uncool. And I wasn't sure why I felt that way. Which is what made me want to talk more about here and see what you guys thought. 

I'm big on free market and how the market determines things. And that seemed to conflict with my feeling a little weird about the auction thing. 

Please do not expand on this and make this political (we have a whole forum for that if you want to do that) but I have a good friend who's a big Bernie Sanders supporter and he was laughing at me with, "Hmm. Seems like maybe you're not as much a capitalist as you say...". 🤔All good. 

Thanks for the good discussion all. 

Minimum jump is twice normal price of a hair cut. 

Normal price is $25. Minimum bid for securing a spot when they reopen is $50. 

I have no idea how it's going for them. I just saw it being offered. 
Sounds like you’re paying a premium to secure a spot. Otherwise, one can wait and pay the normal price. 

There is no cut to be made. This was supposed to be government guaranteed funding to small businesses. Like I said--we applied within 4 hours of it opening---and its nearly 2 months later.  It is not the job of the government to force your business closed and then the job of a bank to determine if they should give you the money that the same goverment said they would give you.    This is not a raffle--where there is a cut--this is peoples lives--that basically are being destroyed by decisions that the government and bankers made. I'm not sure how it makes you feel better that they are playing Russian roulette with peoples lives while constantly backing the big boys. 
If the govt didn’t want large companies to apply then they should have excluded them. They carved out an exception for large restaurant chains so the employees at the local Olive Garden would be treated the same as the local 5 star

If the govt didn’t want large companies to apply then they should have excluded them. They carved out an exception for large restaurant chains so the employees at the local Olive Garden would be treated the same as the local 5 star
In the world of independent jewelers--80% of jewelers applied for the loans early when the plan was released. Only 33% got money--the other 67% got denied.  Yet--somehow almost every big company that applied not only got approved--but got funding almost immediately.  Auto nation got dozens of separate approvals funded.  Publically traded companies like Olive Garden can keep employees by selling stocks (you know the stocks that most of them bought back using the corporate tax reductions  instead of keeping enough liquidity to maintain their work force for a couple of months in the case of an interruption?).  They shouldn't be taking hundreds of millions of dollars from small businesses that didn't get the benefit of corporate tax breaks and stock buy backs to artificially raise their values.  The system was already rigged in their favor--but they just can't control their greed.  Just see how many small businesses go extinct versus what the stock market is doing--and then tell me if the PPP is doing what it was designed to do.   Anyhow--I've derailed the thread enough--so if you'd like to continue the discussion we should do it in the small business thread. 

the restaurants that were structured correctly(according to ppp guidelines), regardless of total size or number of employees,  got the money.   the LA Lakers got 4.8 million.  it's just greed.  if the you can have someone (the govt) pay your operating costs for few months, why wouldn't you? ppp is terribly flawed in that regard.  my restaurant still has not received any monies.  we applied day 1  we are a local 5 star.  we may close forever.  

I would take my business elsewhere.  They’re free to do whatever they want, but it’s not a good look. 

Depends on what kind of Barber shop this is Joe. Is this a popular one like a Hair Cuttery or big name brand? If that is the case I'm totally against these larger ones doing it. I go to a local shop (When its open) that is run by Italian immigrants. They have had really good prices over the years and the Women who owns it (Was a brother who own it he died and now she has full ownership of it) also suggests going to a better salon if theres stuff hair wise some people want they either don't do there or not really good at doing. over the years they've raised the prices but it's only by a few $s in the past 5-6 yrs. They and other small independent shops have been struggling. If they started charging double of what they had, I got zero issue supporting my local barber in that degree. They do great work. 

Now if its a big brand shop I'm totally against this. I'm not against them raising prices a little but to be bidding for haircuts? Thats a little too much 
I am in line with this.

I voted mostly fine with it, but I also believe it is relative to the ownership of the shop (big corp vs mom-n-pop), and how it is framed by the shop. If they put out something like

"Due to the recent economic climate we will need to temporarily increase our pricing to remain viable" as opposed to making it look like an opportunistic money grab, I would likely remain with them.  They are certain free to set their pricing as they see fit, but I weigh more than price in my purchasing decisions.

Drunken knight said:
I am in line with this.

I voted mostly fine with it, but I also believe it is relative to the ownership of the shop (big corp vs mom-n-pop), and how it is framed by the shop. If they put out something like

"Due to the recent economic climate we will need to temporarily increase our pricing to remain viable" as opposed to making it look like an opportunistic money grab, I would likely remain with them.  They are certain free to set their pricing as they see fit, but I weigh more than price in my purchasing decisions.
Yeah I put mostly fine before I read the whole thing Joe posted. For me I feel Big Corp can more and make up for it (As their prices are already jacked up). Mom and Pop as long as the service is worth it and they are customer friendly zero issue with them raises prices for the time being. 

A smart shop would do the opposite.  Cut their price by a couple of bucks to get other shops customers, and reel them in for the next 10+ years.

As for me, I've learned clippers do just fine on my disappearing hair.

A smart shop would do the opposite.  Cut their price by a couple of bucks to get other shops customers, and reel them in for the next 10+ years.

As for me, I've learned clippers do just fine on my disappearing hair.
Social distancing protocols won't allow most shops to handle more customers.  Also--more customers means the higher likelihood that your employees and business gets exposed to the virus.   The moment they trace covid back to any business--don't be surprised if that business ends up being quarantined. Managing and navigating a brick and mortar business through this mess is much harder and much more difficult than "hey--lets just lower prices and gain market share".   You are looking at lowering prices in an eco-system where the cost of business is going to be moderately higher, volume will be at a mandated limited capacity, and each and every customer poses a risk that can knock out your employees or your business for 2 weeks to a month if they get exposed to a mild to moderate case of covid.  

Dead serious, my girl Ellie is getting a $100 tip the next time I can get in there.
Ellie struggled through the shutdown.. went on unemployment for 2 months.  Finished her college semester online, but fell behind on bills.

She was surprised.  Made her cry, feels good.   :thumbup:

I made an appointment for next week.  I have to fill out a questionnaire and wear a mask and they will be taking my temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread