What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about baseball this year? (2 Viewers)

Thoughts on MLB 2020

• Can't wait for the season

Votes: 28 11.9%
  • Still pretty excited for the season

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • Apathetic about having a season or not

Votes: 162 68.6%

• Total voters
Huh.  I wonder if this makes fantasy baseball viable.  I'm in a H2H league, so probably not enough games for that to work, but maybe an all-play type of thing will work.
I think it will actually  fit H2H perfectly.  We actually divide the season into 5 different 5 week seasons.  We have two divisions (upper-Hobbs & lower-Ueker).  Top three from Ueker move up to Hobbs and bottom three from Hobbs move down.  This happens for four "seasons".  Then we seed each team based on total time in the Hobbs division and have a playoffs for the last 5 weeks.  It works perfectly. 

For a shortened season like you said we have talked of just having a single "season". 

My 11 year old son loves PLAYING baseball. Is on a travel team and little league team. NEVER watches it. Doesn't even know what a batting average is. 
He should start watching the game.  It will improve his instincts tremendously and he will grow his knowledge of in game situations which will help his overall game play.  If he has any desire to play in high school or higher having improved instincts will be a huge benefit to play time and ability to play at higher levels. 

:shrug: Without DH, we never would have seen one of the best pitching performances in World Series history.. Jack Morris, 10 innings for the win in game 7. :excited:  

No way he pitches past the 8th inning if there wasn't a DH.
I worded it wrong. Sorry everyone. 

I said great news because I like DH and wish for all of baseball to play the same rules. 

Feeling... 5% chance of a season.. Training facilities barely open up and players test positive so they shutdown the facilities..

What happens when All players and personnel start interacting and a team personnel test positive. Do they quarantine all players while they Sanitize everything that person was at? And besides testing all teams members, are they also going to test their family members? Or are they putting the team members in seclusion during the season?

Just have no idea how they can play and keep everyone Covid free.. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeling... 5% chance of a season.. Training facilities barely open up and players test positive so they shutdown the facilities..

What happens when All players and personnel start interacting and a team personnel test positive. Do they quarantine all players while they Sanitize everything that person was at? And besides testing all teams members, are they also going to test their family members? Or are they putting the team members in seclusion during the season?

Just have no idea how they can play and keep everyone Covid free.. :shrug:
Same problem for any sport

I am really enjoying The Show on my PS4. Today I was promoted to the Dbacks triple A club as a second baseman. It was a big day for me. 

I have also been playing as the Dbacks all around the league. Its been fun, today we beat LAA. I always play away games to check out the different stadiums.

Yes I miss baseball but I have found a temporary fix.

I am really enjoying The Show on my PS4. Today I was promoted to the Dbacks triple A club as a second baseman. It was a big day for me. 

I have also been playing as the Dbacks all around the league. Its been fun, today we beat LAA. I always play away games to check out the different stadiums.

Due to quarantine, I'm attempting my first ever 162 game play through. Im currently at the AS break. 

Due to quarantine, I'm attempting my first ever 162 game play through. Im currently at the AS break. 

This is the first time I bought a baseball game in a long time. I've won 2 world series with the Tigers over like a 9 year franchise span. And then yesterday, I discovered the develop as a player mode. That's really fun. I'm rocketing up the Cubs' system.

With all these positive test, why don't the owners say sure. lets play 70 games........ knowing full well it will never happen!?!??!

Same problem for any sport
Only sport I see doing anything right now positive is Soccer. Just don't get how they've been able to handle this but our American sports leagues continue to ##### and moan with one another. I've already said the Owners F'd this up from the start with their disrespectful first offer. I think the players are doing this now to spite them. Don't be surprised with the new CBA renewal coming up Baseball isn't played next year either. 

I have some middling thoughts on the DH in both leagues: 

The Good: 

If the NL had a DH the Phillies would've been able to keep one of my all time favorites Jim Thome with Ryan Howard around together and maybe Thome wins a World Series. This gives Alec Brohm possible much needed AB's this year if he's not playing the field and they can rest Bruce more. This also helps Bryce Harper in his later contract years. 

The Bad:

The Strategy of when to take a pitcher out/double switch, etc is no more. We also don't get a great playoff AB from a pitcher like Brett Myers or see a Bumgardner and others who can handle the stick a little as a pitcher play. Don't be surprised to see NL Pitcher ERA's look a lot more similar to the ERA's in the AL now. 

Dude I've done that a number of times. When I had more time and working less I would do a full season as well as be every team for the first season and make all the roster moves. I'd wait for Operation Sports to do the Full Minors roster so I had the actual prospects and then just fix guys I thought who should be in the game they didn't have. Id do every teams line up and rotation to the bullpen accordingly to the depth chart as well. It was a lot of time and took a lot of patients but the end results were quite rewarding. Thanks to being able to give players injuries I was able to make it as realistic as possible besides the outcomes. 

Nope.  If the owners had kept their original deal none of this happens.  The when and where statement allows them to still file a grievance.  The awful deal proposed by the owners removes the grievance.  The players would be stupid to take that deal.
100% pay for 60 games. Whats so awful

Only sport I see doing anything right now positive is Soccer. Just don't get how they've been able to handle this but our American sports leagues continue to ##### and moan with one another. I've already said the Owners F'd this up from the start with their disrespectful first offer. I think the players are doing this now to spite them. Don't be surprised with the new CBA renewal coming up Baseball isn't played next year either. 
I don't think MLB would survive a two year hiatus. Taking one year off due to greed (whichever side you want to blame) won't sit well with fans struggling to make ends meet in the middle of a pandemic. Millionaires and billionaires fighting over their multi-million dollar salaries is not going to sit well with fans. Remember the 94 strike? Took a long time to come back from that, it it wasn't half as heinous as the press would be on this one.

They might as well announce the season is over.. With all the positive Covid test hitting the training camps there is no way they can play games if they can't even train. :bye: 2020.. See you in 2021..

if there is a vaccine AND they somehow get over this bickering and come to a new deal.

I don't think MLB would survive a two year hiatus. Taking one year off due to greed (whichever side you want to blame) won't sit well with fans struggling to make ends meet in the middle of a pandemic. Millionaires and billionaires fighting over their multi-million dollar salaries is not going to sit well with fans. Remember the 94 strike? Took a long time to come back from that, it it wasn't half as heinous as the press would be on this one.
I think most fans right now are taking the players side on this right now. Owners want this season to happen but they know they are at a loss and without games being played they lose the TV Revenue. Players get paid no matter what. A lot of stories I'm seeing of top players paying the salaries of organization staff and guys like Bryce Harper are helping some of the Minor guys out financially. The owners are just laying people off or furloughing them left and right. When fans are given all this info who do you think they will side on? 

Hail Mary by the owners. This is desperation. This is the desperation pull the goalie in the final minute and hope and pray. Owners know if they can't agree to something in the 1st week of July they are out this year 
desperartion? This was their plan all along.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather not see a season of just 60 games. 

To me, a World Series championship is going to be hollow and we could be looking at several asterisks (e.g., if a guy hits .400 over 60 games or sets a lowest ERA record).

Again, that's just me though - I know most want to see any kind of baseball, hollow or not.

If they end up playing under this agreement, somebody gave them horrible advice on the last offer. This deal is definitely worse and for what? So they can file a grievance they’ll almost definitely lose years from now?

To me, a World Series championship is going to be hollow and we could be looking at several asterisks (e.g., if a guy hits .400 over 60 games or sets a lowest ERA record).

Again, that's just me though - I know most want to see any kind of baseball, hollow or not.
As I mentioned above, I don't see how they get even 10 games in after seeing how many positive test came back just from training..

What happens if say 10 players test positive? Just forfeit games, postpone ( No room for that in the 60 day schedule), or play without the players? 

Imagine they somehow to get through the 60 games, get to the world series and half of one team is positive..

IMO,  it is  :loco:  to think they can get a season in until a vaccine is available.

As I mentioned above, I don't see how they get even 10 games in after seeing how many positive test came back just from training..

What happens if say 10 players test positive? Just forfeit games, postpone ( No room for that in the 60 day schedule), or play without the players? 

Imagine they somehow to get through the 60 games, get to the world series and half of one team is positive..

IMO,  it is  :loco:  to think they can get a season in until a vaccine is available.
I would assume any player that tests positive cannot play for some period of time (2 weeks?). Obviously has huge implications on the talent level we see on the field. The whole season is going to be a mess and no one is going to consider it a real season anyway. Might as well try all the wacky things they were thinking about trying and see what sticks. Robo umps, no DH, player starts on 2B in extra innings, pitch clock, players can steal 1B, etc. Whatever, try anything.  :shrug:

It hasn’t been that crazy for soccer. Some guys have tested positive and had to stay away for a while. The rest of the team plays. The same will probably happen here.

If they end up playing under this agreement, somebody gave them horrible advice on the last offer. This deal is definitely worse and for what? So they can file a grievance they’ll almost definitely lose years from now?
How is it worse?

that's what the disabled list is for :shrug:

It hasn’t been that crazy for soccer. Some guys have tested positive and had to stay away for a while. The rest of the team plays. The same will probably happen here.
Except Europe has done a FAR better job flattening the curve.  We are doing a crappy job over here, unfortunately, and I think that plays a big role.

I'm trying to keep positive about all this because I'm a total sports junkie and quite honestly I don't know what I'm going to do with myself if there's no football come fall, but this does not look good.

Players get paid no matter what.
This is not true at all
Players get paid Monthly or Bi-Monthly by direct deposit while the regular season is going on. During Spring Training and the Postseason they get various allowances. It’s all in the CBA.

In every North American team sport, players are paid for games played. Your contract might have reporting or performance bonuses but the base pay is [(salary/# of full regular season games) x # of games in the pay period.]

desperartion? This was their plan all along.
No not really their plan was to not pay the players even a fraction of what they are currently offering. Their first offer in the beginning was so disingenuous and disrespectful as well. The owners lose more with no season considering they already lost gate/merch/food revenue and no games means no TV revenue either. The players know this fully well. 

I agree 110% with you here. Just call it and comeback next year. It's unfortunate but this is something that out of their hands. Also with all the positive tests in some major cities going up where teams play what happens if a whole team test positive? I found this thread tweet from the Soccer Discussion thread. Don't pay attention too much to the Putin owning the one club and the club that is saying oh well you are SOL. Pay more attention to the impact restarting early and playing in an area hotspot for this 

Whole team test positive in Russia has to use youth team to play match as other club says oh well we're playing anyway

Read the link above this tweet. Half a soccer club in Russia tested positive. The club that tested positive was fighting for the top league spot currently occupied by the club that has strong ties to the Russian Government and Putin. The Team that told them tough  :censored:  is a feeder club for the top club btw. Rostov the club that tested positive played their youth kids. Yes the oldest player was 19 yrs old most avg was 16 and 17. They got destroyed 10-1 and leaving them well out of now competing for the top spot in the RPL. 

DoesMLB want to really deal with something like that considering all the other negative PR they've had recently? Better to just throw in the white flag now and call it a lost year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Except Europe has done a FAR better job flattening the curve.  We are doing a crappy job over here, unfortunately, and I think that plays a big role.

I'm trying to keep positive about all this because I'm a total sports junkie and quite honestly I don't know what I'm going to do with myself if there's no football come fall, but this does not look good.
If theirs no football come fall I might have to be on 24/7 watch. That'd be a huge loss. The only thing holding me together right now is the fact there's still soccer being played 

Users who are viewing this thread