What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

This weekend I learned that James Gandolfini has a service area named after him on the Garden State Parkway. 
That’s about a year old now. All the rest stop names were all changed to celebrities from NJ. “Cheesequake” is now the “Bon Jovi” - there’s even a giant guitar over the building awning. Bruce asked to not have one switched to his name.

Born in East Flatbush, grew up in Bensonhurst. Went to Midwood High with Woody Allen, who cast him in small roles in 9 of his films. Arrested 28 times in the 1970s. He and his associates used to go into places like Kenny’s Castaways and Cafe Wha and start massive brawls. Then they’d go back the next day and tell the owners “you need better security. Hire us you won’t have no problems anymore.” Once gave Jimi Hendrix a wedgie bc “he was getting out of line.”

You ever come back from the john and notice your shoelaces are wet?

So... I never watched all of Sopranos. I couldn't stand his mom and sister and just didn't get the hype overall. Not even sure what I've seen. Maybe season 1 and then different parts of some of the early/middle seasons?

Anyway, I have finished the internet and all of the streaming shows on earth. So I figured I might as well go ahead and start from the beginning and watch it.

Barely got through season 1 again because of the mom. I know I'm not supposed to like her, I get it, but it's just so dumb.

Anyway, I am currently a few episodes into season 3. It's gotten a little better. But just so many annoying characters and stupid storylines. I still just don't understand the love for this show.

A couple specific observations:

The show just drops the FBI storyline whenever it feels like it and pretends mostly like it's not happening at all for long periods of time. Then it will be some huge deal for an episode. Very poorly done, in my opinion.

And, secondly, the sports with the kids is some of the worst television I've ever seen. Meadow in soccer and AJ in JV football? Just laughably bad and embarrassing, frankly. I know they are minor storylines and it's only a few scenes, but my god it's bad.

So I'll keep going with it because I'm bored. But the only part of the show that I like is when someone dies because they're all annoying and stupid.

Can't wait to get to the horrible ending.

So... I never watched all of Sopranos. I couldn't stand his mom and sister and just didn't get the hype overall. Not even sure what I've seen. Maybe season 1 and then different parts of some of the early/middle seasons?

Anyway, I have finished the internet and all of the streaming shows on earth. So I figured I might as well go ahead and start from the beginning and watch it.

Barely got through season 1 again because of the mom. I know I'm not supposed to like her, I get it, but it's just so dumb.

Anyway, I am currently a few episodes into season 3. It's gotten a little better. But just so many annoying characters and stupid storylines. I still just don't understand the love for this show.

The show just drops the FBI storyline whenever it feels like it and pretends mostly like it's not happening at all for long periods of time. Then it will be some huge deal for an episode. Very poorly done, in my opinion.

And, secondly, the sports with the kids is some of the worst television I've ever seen. Meadow in soccer and AJ in JV football? Just laughably bad and embarrassing, frankly. I know they are minor storylines and it's only a few scenes, but my god it's bad.

So I'll keep going with it because I'm bored. But the only part of the show that I like is when someone dies because they're all annoying and stupid.

It’s all a big nothing. What makes you think you’re so special?

Let me tell you a couple of three things...it's a great show, one of the best dark comedies of all time and you're wrong ;)

POOR YOU

AJ Soprano walking into a mental hospital with a knife to kill Uncle Jun has got to be the single dumbest thing I've ever seen on TV in my life.

Kids always ruin TV shows. But this takes the cake.

Ralphie and Paulie at a sitdown.

Paulie: You're late.

Ralphie: Tomorrow, I can be on time. You'll be stupid forever.

After Tony rules against Paulie.

Paulie: I can't believe it.

Ralphie: Why not? Last year you believed there was a flying saucer over East Rutherford.

Last edited:
It showed how royally pissed Tony was at Paulie following the Pine Barrens fiasco that he was willing to rule in the favor of Raphie, whom Tony despised.

Not to mention that Paulie, as much as anyone, knew how much Tony hated Ralph, so seeing his buddy rule against him in favor of a guy they both hated had to be knife in the back (to him, Paulie was rarely rational).

Last edited:
It showed how royally pissed Tony was at Paulie following the Pine Barrens fiasco that he was willing to rule in the favor of Raphie, whom Tony despised.

Not to mention that Paulie, as much as anyone, knew how much Tony hated Ralph, so seeing his buddy rule against him in favor of a guy they both hated had to be knife in the back (to him, Paulie was rarely rational).

That's what this is you know....Satanic Black Magic

I just rewatched the first three seasons with my wife earlier this year, and I was struck by how well this show holds up. It was more or less the first "prestige television" show on the market, and you could just about rebroadcast it today and it would still be elite upper-tier content.

Obviously there are clunkers mixed in there. The Columbus Day episode is still bad. The "JFK hat" episode is still terrible. The last couple of seasons are uneven overall. I like the ending in principle, but I wish they would have avoided the gimmick because I found the "debate" to be tedious and kind of dumb (Tony was obviously assassinated, but it would have been nice to provide a clear resolution for people who didn't get it.) But the average episode of Sopranos is still a solid A and their best stuff, like Knight in White Satin Armor, College, Pine Barrens, University, and a bunch of others clock in at an A+.

College holds up well as one of the best, but one thing that always bugs me is the rat calling Tony “Teddy” as he starts choking him. He saw his name as A. Soprano on the hotel name list (of the room cleaner), so where did he get Teddy from A.? I guess we could assume he saw the name Soprano and froze and didn’t even notice the first name initial.

I just rewatched the first three seasons with my wife earlier this year, and I was struck by how well this show holds up. It was more or less the first "prestige television" show on the market, and you could just about rebroadcast it today and it would still be elite upper-tier content.

Obviously there are clunkers mixed in there. The Columbus Day episode is still bad. The "JFK hat" episode is still terrible. The last couple of seasons are uneven overall. I like the ending in principle, but I wish they would have avoided the gimmick because I found the "debate" to be tedious and kind of dumb (Tony was obviously assassinated, but it would have been nice to provide a clear resolution for people who didn't get it.) But the average episode of Sopranos is still a solid A and their best stuff, like Knight in White Satin Armor, College, Pine Barrens, University, and a bunch of others clock in at an A+.

That would've been the most brutal scene in TV history to have Tony be shot point blank at a table eating with his family like that.

Maybe instead of just cutting to black, cut to black with a gunshot sound?

The Columbus Day episode is still bad
That episode is at least somewhat redeemed by the conversation in the car on the way home.

Gandolfini sustained his rage for a good solid three minutes, just going right down the list of triggers.

Texas, ****ing Irish illiterate background, or whatever the ****.

And this exchange:

Chrissy: He was gay, Gary Cooper?

Tony: Nooooooooo. Are you listening to me?

The funny thing is when Tony and Sil started it on it, Chrissy and Patsie both looked at each other in the back like, "I am still staying the hell out of this," but as usual, Chrissy couldn't help but say something. :lol:

Chrissy's big mouth was awesome in the scene where he said too much about the feud with the idiot son, after Tony had told him to clam up. Tony tries to get his attention by saying, "hand me a piece of bread," but Chrissy ignores it and keeps rambling. The look on Tony's face when Vito tries to hand him the break basket is the best. It basically said, "I didn't want the bread, you bleeping idiot." :lmao:

That would've been the most brutal scene in TV history to have Tony be shot point blank at a table eating with his family like that.

Maybe instead of just cutting to black, cut to black with a gunshot sound?

I guess for casuals it's not obvious but the whole you probably don't hear anything, everything just goes black was foreshadowed a few times throughout the series (Talk with Bobby on the boat and the assassination at Sil's dinner). A gunshot sound would've given closure for many but I like the ending and think it's fairly obvious what happened. And people are still talking about the finale 20 years later which I assume was the goal.

Users who are viewing this thread