What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (5 Viewers)

Last night I finished watching the whole series over the past month or so. Just now skimmed through the first 50 pages of this thread.

It was pretty good, but I did not love it. I did binge it a bit, but never felt to need to watch just one more episode like I did with a few other series. Probably much more groundbreaking then as opposed to 20 years later.

Someone mentioned it above, but the high school girls soccer game and the JV football games were horribly written, cringeworthy. Like the writer never played a single sport in their entire life. The football "action" on the Buffalo-Jets game was also incredibly bad.

The only character I actually liked was Bobby (I guess gangsters are not supposed to be likable). The kids were whiny, the mom was horrible, and Janice was the worst.

Lots of story lines that just fell by the wayside. Is there an ex-Russian commando driving around Paulie's car?

Interesting cameos -- Loren Bacall getting punched for her goodie bag. David Lee Roth playing poker.

I knew about the ending, but I still had a moment where I thought the TV went out. My take is the whole show was just the day in the life of a mob boss. Family, eating, good times, eating, bad times, watching over your shoulder, and you probably end up dead or in prison. This was Tony's life, and it is always going to be this way, so we have nothing new to show you.

The whole show revolved around Tony and Melfi. The final episodes declare that all the time they spent together did not do any good and was basically a load of Tony's self-serving crap. Interesting

I am thinking probably no Sopranos movie.

Last night I finished watching the whole series over the past month or so. Just now skimmed through the first 50 pages of this thread.

It was pretty good, but I did not love it. I did binge it a bit, but never felt to need to watch just one more episode like I did with a few other series. Probably much more groundbreaking then as opposed to 20 years later.

Someone mentioned it above, but the high school girls soccer game and the JV football games were horribly written, cringeworthy. Like the writer never played a single sport in their entire life. The football "action" on the Buffalo-Jets game was also incredibly bad.

The only character I actually liked was Bobby (I guess gangsters are not supposed to be likable). The kids were whiny, the mom was horrible, and Janice was the worst.

Lots of story lines that just fell by the wayside. Is there an ex-Russian commando driving around Paulie's car?

Interesting cameos -- Loren Bacall getting punched for her goodie bag. David Lee Roth playing poker.

I knew about the ending, but I still had a moment where I thought the TV went out. My take is the whole show was just the day in the life of a mob boss. Family, eating, good times, eating, bad times, watching over your shoulder, and you probably end up dead or in prison. This was Tony's life, and it is always going to be this way, so we have nothing new to show you.

The whole show revolved around Tony and Melfi. The final episodes declare that all the time they spent together did not do any good and was basically a load of Tony's self-serving crap. Interesting

Well there was a sopranos movie

Also, the worst sports moment is when Chris takes over the sports book and the team is down 12 with almost no time left and they kick a field goal for a back door cover.

Easily my favorite sports moment is Tony making a giant bet because the dolphins “backup kicker” is playing and “the backup kicker sucks” lmao.

22 other positions on the field and they settle for a backup kicker. The sports stuff was definitely written by somebody who never watched sports.

Easily my favorite sports moment is Tony making a giant bet because the dolphins “backup kicker” is playing and “the backup kicker sucks” lmao.

22 other positions on the field and they settle for a backup kicker. The sports stuff was definitely written by somebody who never watched sports.
He could have turned Carmela’s ******** into some real money

Also, the worst sports moment is when Chris takes over the sports book and the team is down 12 with almost no time left and they kick a field goal for a back door cover.
It also showed how stupid Christopher was. He owed Paulie 4 Gs minimum for the sports book, but only had 2 G for him (forcing Paulie to give him a couple extra days for the extra 2 G plus another 2 G as a reminder not to mess it up). How does a mob guy who steals as much as they do not have money set aside in case of an emergency? Oh, because Chrissy was a scumbag drug addict who spent his money as fast as he made it. He is lucky he survived as long as he did.

He was a great character because for the most part he was the comic relief/butt of jokes as Junior’s lackey, but got to show that he was still a bad *** mobster when he met with the guy running for union boss at that dive bar:
“If I did something like that I’d feel like putting a bullet here…here and here” (as he points to spots on his head).

It also showed how stupid Christopher was. He owed Paulie 4 Gs minimum for the sports book, but only had 2 G for him (forcing Paulie to give him a couple extra days for the extra 2 G plus another 2 G as a reminder not to mess it up). How does a mob guy who steals as much as they do not have money set aside in case of an emergency? Oh, because Chrissy was a scumbag drug addict who spent his money as fast as he made it. He is lucky he survived as long as he did.
they all spend everything as fast as they make it. Paulie had to kill Minn Matrone just to get a few thousand dollars.

they all spend everything as fast as they make it. Paulie had to kill Minn Matrone just to get a few thousand dollars.
True, but remember that Paulie was in panic mode there, as he realized he had been duped by Johnny Sack, so he needed a lot of cash right away to kick up to Tony to try and get back on his good side.

How does a mob guy who steals as much as they do not have money set aside in case of an emergency?
Tony getting into a gambling hole with Hesh was one of the few weakpoints of the show, for that exact reason. I assume Chase went with the storyline to demonstrate Tony's downward spiral, but it felt inauthentic.

How does a mob guy who steals as much as they do not have money set aside in case of an emergency?
Tony getting into a gambling hole with Hesh was one of the few weakpoints of the show, for that exact reason. I assume Chase went with the storyline to demonstrate Tony's downward spiral, but it felt inauthentic.
Chasing It has always been one of my least favorite episodes. Granted, they often alluded to Tony gambling on games all the time, so him hitting a rough spell at some point was not unheard of, but I just didn't like how Tony turned on Hesh like that, Tony always liked and respected Hesh (hell, he went behind his uncle's back to get support for Hesh in S1 when Junior wanted to tax him, and even gave his share of the cut back to Hesh), and I just don't believe he would have gone cold on him like that. It just felt too out of nowhere.

Chasing It has always been one of my least favorite episodes. Granted, they often alluded to Tony gambling on games all the time, so him hitting a rough spell at some point was not unheard of, but I just didn't like how Tony turned on Hesh like that, Tony always liked and respected Hesh (hell, he went behind his uncle's back to get support for Hesh in S1 when Junior wanted to tax him, and even gave his share of the cut back to Hesh), and I just don't believe he would have gone cold on him like that. It just felt too out of nowhere.
Tony loved money (well that amount) more than he loved Hesh. Which I guess doesn’t jive with him giving back his part of the kick from Junior but hey whatever lol.

That's interesting. I always thought it made perfect sense as it showed how tough gambling can be. Tony mocking the detective about being a gambling degnerate and then getting into a similar thing himself. I think it showed a significant weakness for Tony he couldn't separate business from his own desires. Like a drug dealer using his own product he knows is bad for everyone.

For Hesh and the conflict, I thought that was strong too as it showed money runs the deepest when it came to relationships. For all the talk of the brotherhood, it came down to money. That was revealing.

Made sense to me. Addiction is a beast and changes people...and at the end of the day, Tony really only cared about himself and his kids.

Made sense to me. Addiction is a beast and changes people...and at the end of the day, Tony really only cared about himself and his kids.
Right, but in that same episode, even Bobby suggested telling Hesh to go f himself, and Tony winced at the idea and said it would be a bad look for the boss to not pay his debts.

And it was that same scene where we found out that Carlo was a fan of TV Land.

Tony always liked and respected Hesh (hell, he went behind his uncle's back to get support for Hesh in S1 when Junior wanted to tax him, and even gave his share of the cut back to Hesh
Tony stuck up for Hesh with regards to Junior's tax not only out of respect and affection but also because Hesh heavily implied that he would pull out all his money in the organization, and leave town.

Great scene at the sitdown. Johnny Sack plays Junior like a fiddle: https://youtu.be/4FK1hg15Pz0?t=79

Tony always liked and respected Hesh (hell, he went behind his uncle's back to get support for Hesh in S1 when Junior wanted to tax him, and even gave his share of the cut back to Hesh
Tony stuck up for Hesh with regards to Junior's tax not only out of respect and affection but also because Hesh heavily implied that he would pull out all his money in the organization, and leave town.

Great scene at the sitdown. Johnny Sack plays Junior like a fiddle: https://youtu.be/4FK1hg15Pz0?t=79
True, but Tony was already pretty disgusted with Junior's tax before Hesh said the part of possibly leaving the area, so I think Tony still would have gone to bat for him.

And those poor flies, having to pay Junior rent.

High on the list of Sopranos moments that always make me laugh is the look Tony gives Vito when the latter tries to hand him the bread (1:30-ish). His look basically said, "I didn't actually want the bread, you idiotic moron!" hahahahaahaha

i always read Hesh's comment as a passive aggressive bluff because where would he really go?

One more "look" from Tony.

He gets Ralphie to call up Johnny Sack regarding the joke about Ginny. And just like with Chrissy, Tony gives him a specific order of what not to do during the conversation, which in this case is to not offer an apology.

Ralphie goes rogue, and Tony's silent reaction says it all: https://youtu.be/Be54kcgXNjI?t=158

You said you'd take me to CompUSA, so I could get a new Magic Stick.

Most of the show aged well, but there's a line that doesn't have a ton of staying power.

Started a rewatch recently. Forgot about this whole Massive Genius episode.
meow
"There's good and there's not good. This is not good."

Hesh doesn't know what he's talking about and needs to spike up. He recorded in Denmark, dude.
That "spike up" scene cracked me up. It keeps being funny to me that characters in the orbit of the mob are surprised when they act like mobsters.

Yeah, I had to rewatch the clips and was lmao at that scene. That being said Krazee Eyez Killah > Massive Genius

I wanted to thank the guys who earlier recommended the Talking Sopranos podcast. I am now listening to it while playing my video game and I am really enjoying it.

I wanted to thank the guys who earlier recommended the Talking Sopranos podcast. I am now listening to it while playing my video game and I am really enjoying it.

I enjoyed some of the episodes but thought it could've been so much better with just Imperoli. Bobby often ruins the podcast interrupting with useless information, boring stories and bad jokes.

Started a rewatch recently. Forgot about this whole Massive Genius episode.
meow
"There's good and there's not good. This is not good."

Hesh doesn't know what he's talking about and needs to spike up. He recorded in Denmark, dude.
That "spike up" scene cracked me up. It keeps being funny to me that characters in the orbit of the mob are surprised when they act like mobsters.
To be fair, I don't the band was connected enough to have expected Christopher to swing the guitar like Pete Townshend and club Richie with it.

Also, RIchie was tired of hearing She Loves You, so he was already not thinking clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread