What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (5 Viewers)

If you two don't stop this catfight:

Me: Phil Leotardo >>> Youze guys: Lorraine Calluzzo (sans the phone book)

:yes:

Finless said:
Finless said:
:loco:

:ptts:

Like I said :daps:
"Piss Turn"...define please.
Piss Turn (nounverb) - A swift cutting turn off of the road one is traveling to allow oneself, a passenger or the family pet to urinate.
So in your opinion why does Bobby give that "I can't believe he's really not gonna stop" look and Tony has the "Oh well, I'm not going to stop" look as they continue driving? Seriously, i'm shuked as to people's "interpretation" of this incredibly straight-forward scene. :yes: Letting it go now. :daps:

I never thought for a second that Bobby was going to be a goner.

There is no way Tony would risk such a move with crazy ### Janice in the picture. Talk about a can of worms.

On a sidenote: how obscure (1-10) is referencing Tim Van Patten as Salami?

At work, no one under 30 gets it. That I understand. But, there are others my age (mid-30's, and non-sports fans) who also don't get the reference. And even a few sports fans, as well.

This was a show that was never popular and was only on for three seasons and has been off the air for twenty five years.

Yet, on this board, on all the various Sopranos threads throughout the years, Van Patten is routinely referred to as Salami and I don't think I have seen one follow-up post with :yes: or "Who?"

Finless said:
Finless said:
Finless said:

Piss Turn (nounverb) - A swift cutting turn off of the road one is traveling to allow oneself, a passenger or the family pet to urinate.
So in your opinion why does Bobby give that "I can't believe he's really not gonna stop" look and Tony has the "Oh well, I'm not going to stop" look as they continue driving? Seriously, i'm shuked as to people's "interpretation" of this incredibly straight-forward scene. :yes: Letting it go now. :daps:
It's interpretation Nips. I guess it's like a good song or painting. It can mean different things to different people. Maybe that's why Tony took the left and why the never showed Baccala taking a piss. Who knows. They do have crafty writers. My interpretation of Bobby's look wasn't "oh #### I gotta take a leak" it was "Oh ####!...is this it?". Tony's look was, well...A Tony look. Quick question. Have you ever been taken for "the ride?"

I have :ptts:

:daps:

:fro:

BTW I dug the episode
But there's nothing to interpret. He never stops, Bobby gives him a wtf look and Tony has a look of defiance. :loco: I suppose when Tony takes the right turn you can pretty much assume anything is possible. Maybe Tony smells a taco stand over there. Maybe the steering wheel is stuck on his jacket like John Candy in Planes/Tains/Automobiles. Maybe Tony remembered at the last minute there's a Foreigner cover band playing down that road. Maybe that's the long driveway that leads to the restaurant where they're going to meet the Canadians. Maybe Tony sees an image of the Virgin Mary in one of the trees and wants a closer look. Maybe that's not Tony at all, it's Tony's never before seen twin brother who's known as "the right taker" because all he does is take rights. Maybe tony wants to stop for some of those delicious Hapton's tomatoes that Constanza's always harping about. Geez, you can speculate pretty much anything could happen, but all that actually happens is Bobby says he needs to pee and Tony doesn't stop, clearly because he's found some small revenge for Bobby beating the crap out of him the night before. That's it. :daps:

Finless said:
Finless said:
Finless said:
Finless said:

It's interpretation Nips. I guess it's like a good song or painting. It can mean different things to different people. Maybe that's why Tony took the left and why the never showed Baccala taking a piss. Who knows. They do have crafty writers. My interpretation of Bobby's look wasn't "oh #### I gotta take a leak" it was "Oh ####!...is this it?". Tony's look was, well...A Tony look. Quick question. Have you ever been taken for "the ride?"

I have :loco:

BTW I dug the episode
But there's nothing to interpret. He never stops, Bobby gives him a wtf look and Tony has a look of defiance. :ptts: I suppose when Tony takes the right turn you can pretty much assume anything is possible. Maybe Tony smells a taco stand over there. Maybe the steering wheel is stuck on his jacket like John Candy in Planes/Tains/Automobiles. Maybe Tony remembered at the last minute there's a Foreigner cover band playing down that road. Maybe that's the long driveway that leads to the restaurant where they're going to meet the Canadians. Maybe Tony sees an image of the Virgin Mary in one of the trees and wants a closer look. Maybe that's not Tony at all, it's Tony's never before seen twin brother who's known as "the right taker" because all he does is take rights. Maybe tony wants to stop for some of those delicious Hapton's tomatoes that Constanza's always harping about. Geez, you can speculate pretty much anything could happen, but all that actually happens is Bobby says he needs to pee and Tony doesn't stop, clearly because he's found some small revenge for Bobby beating the crap out of him the night before. That's it. :daps:
Nips they neither show them stop to piss nor pull into the restaurant. It shows gravel road then cuts out. Like I said...open for interpretation. I'm now wondering again if this is :ptts: :dapsquicklypullsfistback:
I can almost imagine how the conversation in the editing bay went down...Editor 1: "Do you think we should leave that shot in of Bobby running into the restaurant bathroom and sighing with relief as he pees for a while?"

Editor 2: "Nah. It's completely obvious what happened from their faces in the car. That shot won't be necessary."

Now imagine Editor 2's dismay/remorse as he reads this thread.

Tony makes him hold it. That's the whole scene. There is nothing else. Nothing is open for interpretation.

What about the scene where Tony is in the cell and that guy squats down behind him to take a dump. They cut away there and then in the next scene Tony is home. What about that guy taking the dump in the cell? Did he try to kill Tony? Rape him? Was that toilet even working? They never mention anything! Totally up for interpretation! The way it looked to me the guy squatting was actually getting into some kind of ninja stance and looked ready to strike from behind. I think Tony sensed he was about to make his move, probably swept the leg and finished him off by biting his nose off. Man, this is fun.

Finless said:
Finless said:
Finless said:
Finless said:
Finless said:

So in your opinion why does Bobby give that "I can't believe he's really not gonna stop" look and Tony has the "Oh well, I'm not going to stop" look as they continue driving? Seriously, i'm shuked as to people's "interpretation" of this incredibly straight-forward scene. :kicksrock: Letting it go now. :daps:

I have :unsure:

BTW I dug the episode
But there's nothing to interpret. He never stops, Bobby gives him a wtf look and Tony has a look of defiance. :shrug: I suppose when Tony takes the right turn you can pretty much assume anything is possible. Maybe Tony smells a taco stand over there. Maybe the steering wheel is stuck on his jacket like John Candy in Planes/Tains/Automobiles. Maybe Tony remembered at the last minute there's a Foreigner cover band playing down that road. Maybe that's the long driveway that leads to the restaurant where they're going to meet the Canadians. Maybe Tony sees an image of the Virgin Mary in one of the trees and wants a closer look. Maybe that's not Tony at all, it's Tony's never before seen twin brother who's known as "the right taker" because all he does is take rights. Maybe tony wants to stop for some of those delicious Hapton's tomatoes that Constanza's always harping about. Geez, you can speculate pretty much anything could happen, but all that actually happens is Bobby says he needs to pee and Tony doesn't stop, clearly because he's found some small revenge for Bobby beating the crap out of him the night before. That's it. :daps:
Nips they neither show them stop to piss nor pull into the restaurant. It shows gravel road then cuts out. Like I said...open for interpretation. I'm now wondering again if this is :fishing: :dapsquicklypullsfistback:
I can almost imagine how the conversation in the editing bay went down...Editor 1: "Do you think we should leave that shot in of Bobby running into the restaurant bathroom and sighing with relief as he pees for a while?"

Editor 2: "Nah. It's completely obvious what happened from their faces in the car. That shot won't be necessary."

Now imagine Editor 2's dismay/remorse as he reads this thread.

Tony makes him hold it. That's the whole scene. There is nothing else. Nothing is open for interpretation.

What about the scene where Tony is in the cell and that guy squats down behind him to take a dump. They cut away there and then in the next scene Tony is home. What about that guy taking the dump in the cell? Did he try to kill Tony? Rape him? Was that toilet even working? They never mention anything! Totally up for interpretation! The way it looked to me the guy squatting was actually getting into some kind of ninja stance and looked ready to strike from behind. I think Tony sensed he was about to make his move, probably swept the leg and finished him off by biting his nose off. Man, this is fun.
:wall: I beginning to think you are crazy...seriously.
Ditto. :daps:

Anyone else think the episodes are better when there are no scenes with Dr Melfi. I heard a rumor when the show first started that it was originally going to be based around her and one of her clients being a mobster. Thank god they didn't go down that road.

Anyone else think the episodes are better when there are no scenes with Dr Melfi.
I think there were some outstanding scenes with Tony and Melfi in the early years, given the underlying attraction and her subsequent attack by Jose Rossi (nice word play from Janice Rossi in Goodfellas BTW).But yes, that bridge has been passed, and her involvement now is pretty superfluous.

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN said:
The final season of The Sopranos premiered this past Sunday to very disappointing ratings.

The first of the final nine episodes drew an audience of 7.66 million people Sunday, on a FREE HBO WEEKEND no less.

About 9.5 million tuned in to watch the show's sixth-season premiere in March 2006.

The decline continues a downward trend for the show, which hit a high mark of 13 million-plus viewers for the season four premiere in September 2002.

While the numbers for The Sopranos may be down, Entourage premiered to its biggest audience ever.

Close to 3.77 million people tuned in on Sunday to watch Entourage.

That's an improvement of about a million viewers over last June's previous best.
In fairness, it WAS Easter Sunday. I'm sure a lot of people DVR'd it or will watch on demand.

When Tony and Bobby were talking on the boat, Tony mentioned that 80% of the guys in his business either end up dead or in prison.

I have a feeling there might a be a strange ending to this whole ordeal, one that doesn't include one of the two possibilities above.

I liked the episode, but that's about the limit of Janice and Carmela I can take. Even Meadow in her short appearance was annoying.

avoiding injuries said:
Anyone else think the episodes are better when there are no scenes with Dr Melfi.
GOD NO!!!Her interactions with Tony are, IMO, the most important part of the show for anyone who likes to delve into Tony's brain. W/O Melfi, the dream sequences make no sense.

avoiding injuries said:
GOD NO!!!Her interactions with Tony are, IMO, the most important part of the show for anyone who likes to delve into Tony's brain. W/O Melfi, the dream sequences make no sense.
Well, at least it's consistent since I hated the dream sequence am not sure if I could care less about delving into Tony's brain.

avoiding injuries said:
Well, at least it's consistent since I hated the dream sequence am not sure if I could care less about delving into Tony's brain.
That's cool, then.I completely understand hating the Melfi scenes if you don't care about that part of the show.

Very good episode tonight, IMO.

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

THe scene where the guy gets shot in front of Sil was awesome.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

That's cool, then.I completely understand hating the Melfi scenes if you don't care about that part of the show.
Another vote for cant stand Melfi and I hate dream sequences. Although I dont consider the episodes when Tony was in a coma to be a "dream sequence".

man, that episode rocked my world. that was AWESOME.

not sure what was best: Gerry Hairdo getting shot (great the way they filmed it); the Melfi scene (best Melfi scene I ever remember seeing); or the ending with Chris and Tony hugging.

loved it loved it loved it.

I'd like to see the show end with a war between the families where Christopher can redeem himself in the eyes of Tony. Tony decides to take a backseat in family operations and passes the torch to Christopher.

I'd like to see AJ get capped too along the way.

Pretty meh episode. Too many little random things that didn't mean a lot...the FBI guys talking about terrorism, A.J.'s girl being a snot, Meadow whining about her breakup, etc., etc. I am sure some will say that they are building up to a finale, but I am tired of every episode doing nothing but allegedly doing that.

The enthusiasm just isn't there anymore. Heck, even in the scene where they were in the strip bar, the place seemed lifeless around them, just like the show now does at times.

Even the actors seem bored at times. After Christopher hit his partner in the head, and then ran out, he turned and yelled at him. In the past, when Christopher was pissed and going off on a tangent, you knew it. Tonight, when he did it, he barely sounded like he meant it.

And seeing Johnny Sack go out like that was a crying shame.

I hate to say it, as I love this show, and consider it one of top three or four televisions shows ever, but my hope for it to end on a high note is fading.

Pretty meh episode. Too many little random things that didn't mean a lot...the FBI guys talking about terrorism, A.J.'s girl being a snot, Meadow whining about her breakup, etc., etc. I am sure some will say that they are building up to a finale, but I am tired of every episode doing nothing but allegedly doing that. The enthusiasm just isn't there anymore. Heck, even in the scene where they were in the strip bar, the place seemed lifeless around them, just like the show now does at times. Even the actors seem bored at times. After Christopher hit his partner in the head, and then ran out, he turned and yelled at him. In the past, when Christopher was pissed and going off on a tangent, you knew it. Tonight, when he did it, he barely sounded like he meant it. And seeing Johnny Sack go out like that was a crying shame. I hate to say it, as I love this show, and consider it one of top three or four televisions shows ever, but my hope for it to end on a high note is fading.
Wow, tough crowd. I thought it was absolutely great. Cappy pointed out the Melfi scene, that was an excellent scene. The emotion Tony was showing was awesome. The hug at the end with him and Chrissy gave me goosebumps. Awesome show, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it. It moved well, there was a good story about the old guys getting old and the new world coming up quickly on them, and now Phil Leotardo fighting back.

Plus, great quotes.

"...and the mailman. By then I had to fully commit"

"Tell him to put it in the trunk"

"hot and sticky, like my balls"

"OJ's no less of a running back, right?"

"I never seen it, why would I be confused?"

"That's for modern. In ballet you wear tutus."

Pretty meh episode. Too many little random things that didn't mean a lot...the FBI guys talking about terrorism, A.J.'s girl being a snot, Meadow whining about her breakup, etc., etc. I am sure some will say that they are building up to a finale, but I am tired of every episode doing nothing but allegedly doing that. The enthusiasm just isn't there anymore. Heck, even in the scene where they were in the strip bar, the place seemed lifeless around them, just like the show now does at times. Even the actors seem bored at times. After Christopher hit his partner in the head, and then ran out, he turned and yelled at him. In the past, when Christopher was pissed and going off on a tangent, you knew it. Tonight, when he did it, he barely sounded like he meant it. And seeing Johnny Sack go out like that was a crying shame. I hate to say it, as I love this show, and consider it one of top three or four televisions shows ever, but my hope for it to end on a high note is fading.
The terrorism thing must mean something. They mentioned it to Chris last season and those Arab guys were shown at the Bing several times. And Tony's crew was working with them on the calling card scam (and/or the credit card thing?), so maybe Tony the FBI ends up getting to bring Tony down as part of some kind of Patriot Act/anti-terrorism thing.Interesting to note that Johnny Sack flipped and gets cancer to die, while Phil held his silence and gets out in reasonably good condition. Although Phil seems pretty pissed about "wasting" his life, at least he has relatively good health and appears to be stepping back.

Better than any episode last season IMHO. Some funny parts, and some good action. I think AJ's gf is pregnant... Man she is fine :link:

:coffee: @ Pauly talking to the Christophers friend at the Bing.

:yes: @ Phil explainging how the name "Leonardo" was changed to "Leotardo" at Ellis Island to mock the family name. :lol:

Yep, good episode. Phil ######o says he's not going to be a push over any more which in my mind means he's going to war with Tony.

I agree that this episode was used to build up the rest of the season but there were some good action scenes(that's has been missed) and some progress in the storyline.

So far I have a good feeling about where these first two episodes are leading us. I still don't care about the Melfi scenes though.

:link:

Better than any episode last season IMHO. Some funny parts, and some good action. I think AJ's gf is pregnant... Man she is fine :link:
I definitely inferred that as a possibility as well.Also gotta love little Carmine, the wise fool. But what is the point, be a small-time crook, live off your father's accomplishments and look like a schmuck to all your friends and be a happy man?

Yep, good episode. Phil ######o says he's not going to be a push over any more which in my mind means he's going to war with Tony. I agree that this episode was used to build up the rest of the season but there were some good action scenes(that's has been missed) and some progress in the storyline. So far I have a good feeling about where these first two episodes are leading us. I still don't care about the Melfi scenes though. :link:
I can understand not liking Melfi, but how can you not care about what is going on in Tony's head. That is a decent percentage (exactly how much is open to debate) of the whole point of the show.

Yep, good episode. Phil ######o says he's not going to be a push over any more which in my mind means he's going to war with Tony. I agree that this episode was used to build up the rest of the season but there were some good action scenes(that's has been missed) and some progress in the storyline. So far I have a good feeling about where these first two episodes are leading us. I still don't care about the Melfi scenes though. :goodposting:
I can understand not liking Melfi, but how can you not care about what is going on in Tony's head. That is a decent percentage (exactly how much is open to debate) of the whole point of the show.
You know, last night they made the conversation a little more relevant but I think we can learn about his thoughts through the story just like any other show. Most times I feel that when he is opening up it is about something we already know or are led to believe. I just don't see any Earth shattering information coming out of the sessions.

Yep, good episode. Phil ######o says he's not going to be a push over any more which in my mind means he's going to war with Tony. I agree that this episode was used to build up the rest of the season but there were some good action scenes(that's has been missed) and some progress in the storyline. So far I have a good feeling about where these first two episodes are leading us. I still don't care about the Melfi scenes though. :goodposting:
You know, last night they made the conversation a little more relevant but I think we can learn about his thoughts through the story just like any other show. Most times I feel that when he is opening up it is about something we already know or are led to believe. I just don't see any Earth shattering information coming out of the sessions.
Tony had a panic attack the night that Tony B. got pinched? Tony's father chopped off a guy's pinky in front of him at 10 years old?

It seems to me that they are giving Tony the glimpse of getting out. I think that is what the anti-terror storyline will give him. If he plays it right, he could give evidence on the terrorists and get immunity on all other wrong doings, but never turn on the family. I know this is a reach, but it might be an angle they use.

Yep, good episode. Phil ######o says he's not going to be a push over any more which in my mind means he's going to war with Tony. I agree that this episode was used to build up the rest of the season but there were some good action scenes(that's has been missed) and some progress in the storyline. So far I have a good feeling about where these first two episodes are leading us. I still don't care about the Melfi scenes though. :popcorn:
Tony had a panic attack the night that Tony B. got pinched? Tony's father chopped off a guy's pinky in front of him at 10 years old?
You cited 2 very good examples. Unfortunately, I cannot contribute with the forgetable ones because, well, I forgot. I'm not saying there have not been useful scenes with Melfi, but I think the majority are pointless, drawn out and cause the show to slow down to a crawl.

In the end Christopher is the one Phil's family hates. Tony is going to realize all he did for Christopher, and all the trouble he has caused. For what?

I think Tony could soften up if AJ has a son, and he becomes a grandfather. It's going to be pretty interesting, as it's not the time to be soft. This all just speculation of course.

I just can't imagine being a Sopranos fan and not liking that episode last night. What are you looking for out of the show?I can see being a bit bored with the first episode since it started out slow, but last night was pure greatness, imo.

I just can't imagine being a Sopranos fan and not liking that episode last night. What are you looking for out of the show?I can see being a bit bored with the first episode since it started out slow, but last night was pure greatness, imo.
I agree. Two great episodes in a row to start off the season.

Interesting to note that Johnny Sack flipped and gets cancer to die, while Phil held his silence and gets out in reasonably good condition.
Johnny Sack did not flip. Allocution is not the same as flipping.
I just can't imagine being a Sopranos fan and not liking that episode last night. What are you looking for out of the show?
Memorable and enthusiastic storylines. Last night, almost everything seemed forced, although Vince Curatola did a terrific job in Johnny Sack's final episode, and like other have said, the scene with Dr. Melfi was good. Heck, that was probably the first interesting scene involving Tony and Dr. Melfi since Season 3.One other thing...even though there are still good one-liners on occasion, there is hardly ever any more comedy to the show. There used to always be funny little moments and comments throughout almost every episode. Those are nowhere to be found anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread