What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽️⚽️⚽️ 2024 MLS THREAD ⚽️⚽️⚽️ (1 Viewer)

Anyone watching Messi tonight?
I am anti-everything Miami this season. Kind of feels like they were allowed to circumvent just about every one of the arcane MLS roster and salary cap rules to get not only him, but all his buddies there.

yup. And I don't know if you saw this but they also signed one of the best young Argentine players in South America right now as well.

When a league has 675,000 rosters rules, teams are going to find ways to break the rules and then pay the fine 2 years from now when some one "realizes" what happened. I use quotes because I assume it is already known but no one wants to stop the financial freight train from reaching full speed this season.

Salt Lake sure had a nice free kick defense set up against Messi. That ball was money.
Check out this picture and look at the difference!

Absolutely. What a great tactic by Salt Lake. And that will be duplicated all year for sure.
It will be interesting to see how Miami counters this. There is an awful lot of space at the top of the box...

I really need educated on the league and how it all works with various tournaments, sometimes aggregate scoring, sometimes friendlies, rosters etc.

The regular season starts now and the league ends in October?

What do you guys think about our latest signing? Maybe our scoring problems finally over.

He has been a class player for a long time.

With big Duncan's transfer getting all screwed up, how do you think Orlando will handle the two strikers?

I really need educated on the league and how it all works with various tournaments, sometimes aggregate scoring, sometimes friendlies, rosters etc.

The regular season starts now and the league ends in October?
Hi Leeroy,

That is correct. After the regular season ends in October, there will be rounds of playoffs and eventually the championship game in early December.

There are other tournaments/competitions weaved into the season. None of these effect an MLS teams record when playing in the MLS season. These are all separate and stand alone. Here are 3 of them:

1) Leagues Cup - 45 MLS and Liga MX teams face off in a World Cup style tournament (group stage games followed by knock out round games)

2) Concacaf Champions Cup - A tournament that features the best teams from the many various Concacaf countries

3) US Open Cup - A tournament strictly for US teams from all levels of the game (from amateur all the way up to MLS). Note that the format of this tournament is very much in flux this year due to MLS having issues with the tournament and not wanting to send all their teams to play.

If you have any questions about these or any others for the sport, let us know and we can try and answer.

What do you guys think about our latest signing? Maybe our scoring problems finally over.

He has been a class player for a long time.

With big Duncan's transfer getting all screwed up, how do you think Orlando will handle the two strikers?
Duncan is probably gone Summer. I'd love to see them integrate both of them in at the same time but I don't think that's Oscar's style.

Quite a stat line from the Portland game last night

=======================================

Portland scored 4 goals from 0.4 xG and 3 shots on target against Colorado last night​

Sporting KC still sucks. What an awful team we have.
The league is so ******** big I can't even come close to following everything like I used to when it was smaller.

What are the main issues in KC? Money, talent evaluation, development, coaching...any or all?

Sporting KC still sucks. What an awful team we have.
The league is so ******** big I can't even come close to following everything like I used to when it was smaller.

What are the main issues in KC? Money, talent evaluation, development, coaching...any or all?
Peter Vermes. He has 100% control and has the power to do what he wants. He has no one to question or challenge him. And he is signed for 4 more years. Which was basically a reward contract for helping get the world cup games to KC.

Which is fine and all. But he cannot build a roster. He has lost his way there.

Went to the Austin game last night. Sigh.
We've started getting an away match as the season ticket benefit. I put in for the match in Austin in July.

Hopefully you get it on the shade side of the stadium.

But the games are a lot of fun. Even though it appears like we are going to stink again this year.
It'll be an 8:30PM kickoff I assume. We move everything to 8:30PM once it gets crazy hot.
The travelling supporters are in the upper stand just above my seats. Pretty decent seats and some of the supporter groups that travel to Austin are loud. Makes for a good environment.

Austin FC is in for a rough year. We sold everyone it seems for $$ and brought in almost nobody.

Went to the Austin game last night. Sigh.

Totally outclassed by Minnesota. If not for Stuver playing very well in net, could have been 4 or 5 goals for MN.

Not sure I have seen a worse opening 45 minutes ever (as someone that really has only been paying attention since Austin got a club). Needing Stu to stand on his head every game is not going to be a great recipe.

Miami putting a beat down on Orlando in the Florida derby tonight. 5-0 in second half.

Messi and Suarez each with a brace.

Miami putting a beat down on Orlando in the Florida derby tonight. 5-0 in second half.

Messi and Suarez each with a brace.
Thia Suarez kid might be something.

Good set of chompers on the kid at least.
considering what little is left of the poor guys knees, the numbers he put up last year in Brazil were friggan ridiculous.

I will be shocked if he makes it through the MLS season with out some serious game management.

what a mess in Salt Lake today for the RSL vs LAFC game.

First, the game was delayed for two hours due to weather issues.

Then the game starts and is stopped 3 minutes into the game due to lightning.

By the time they restart the game the entire field was covered in snow and was snowing hard.

Any fan who made it to the end of this game in the stadium should be given a free season ticket to next year.

what a mess in Salt Lake today for the RSL vs LAFC game.

First, the game was delayed for two hours due to weather issues.

Then the game starts and is stopped 3 minutes into the game due to lightning.

By the time they restart the game the entire field was covered in snow and was snowing hard.

Any fan who made it to the end of this game in the stadium should be given a free season ticket to next year.
Hugo Lloris, welcome to MLS

I was at the match last night, this was a great one to see live as you could see each step ahead of time. As soon as Russell played the first ball of the one-two everyone around me stood up, it felt like a goal already. Love that he hit the assist with his left foot. Fotmob doesn’t really agree but I was super impressed with Jake Davis.

The first half in Columbus at Charlotte last night saw 2 goals disallowed, a red card, and a missed PK at the end of 16 minutes of stoppage time. Not sure any of the decisions that ref made were correct after seeing the replays today. I'm pretty numb to the bad refereeing at this point, but that was bizarre.

The first half in Columbus at Charlotte last night saw 2 goals disallowed, a red card, and a missed PK at the end of 16 minutes of stoppage time. Not sure any of the decisions that ref made were correct after seeing the replays today. I'm pretty numb to the bad refereeing at this point, but that was bizarre.
I mentioned this in the match day thread. I did not watch but it sounded like pure chaos.

I read I think yesterday that the refs seem to be close in an agreement on their contract.

I mentioned this in the match day thread. I did not watch but it sounded like pure chaos.

I read I think yesterday that the refs seem to be close in an agreement on their contract.
First couple of games I watched, I found it refreshing that the ref didn’t totally insert himself into the game and overshadow the play on the field. But, the last couple, it so safe to say I think the bloom of that particular rose has faded, and almost think the VAR guys are running the show behind the scenes.

Addition to the bizarre happenings: Last nights FCC game: game stopped for a handball call for a pk with FCC still in possession in the box. VAR overturns the call. Results in a goal kick?!? Is that correct? Just seems wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread