What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (2 Viewers)

United have a CL spot in their own hands now after Leicester’s draw yesterday.  Win out and they are in.  They’ve looked great since the restart but with how things have gone the last several years I’m not taking anything for granted.
Take it one game at a time....

Just saw Ibra's quote today. He said Juve were lucky because if I (Ibra) was there all year we'd have won the league." 

I love this guy. When he came back to training he posted a pic of him with the guys and it read GOD and His students. 
United and the Galaxy beg to differ with Ibra....

When asked why Ibra wears "21", he says its because he is 3x better then Ronaldo (7).  Saw this online so I'm not sure if thats a real quote, but it sounds like something he would say.

Tyler Twellman tweeted the other day that most of the MLS Clubs didn't want FC Dallas at the tournament after staff and players had positive tests. Didn't believe FC Dal had taken proper safety measures serious enough. Said there's some talk that Nashville might be asked not to compete for similar reasons. 
According to Paul Tenorio of TheAthletic.com, Nashville SC are out of the tournament, joining Dallas on the sidelines because of an excess of COVID-19 cases.

Nashville was supposed to play Wednesday night, but that game was postponed. Five players had tested positively, and four others were being retested because of inconclusive results.

According to Paul Tenorio of TheAthletic.com, Nashville SC are out of the tournament, joining Dallas on the sidelines because of an excess of COVID-19 cases.

Nashville was supposed to play Wednesday night, but that game was postponed. Five players had tested positively, and four others were being retested because of inconclusive results.
it's sad we are getting this so wrong. other active leagues have a player or staff member get it, but don't have to shut down or have it spread.

it's sad we are getting this so wrong. other active leagues have a player or staff member get it, but don't have to shut down or have it spread.
I have not followed the MLS plan.

I know when PL teams came back, teams/staff were tested regularly and positive tests were isolated, and they seemed to do a pretty good job containing any spread.

It probably also hurts MLS that the country as a whole has really gotten this all wrong, and we are spreading the virus for more prevalently than any of the European countries. 

Isn't this exactly how the bubble plan is supposed to work though? Heavy screened upon entry and those that can't pass don't get in? 

I know people love hyping this as just another failure. But unless I'm not understanding how the bubble is supposed to work, this seems like the process working exactly like it was intended. 

Is that not right? 

Isn't this exactly how the bubble plan is supposed to work though? Heavy screened upon entry and those that can't pass don't get in? 

I know people love hyping this as just another failure. But unless I'm not understanding how the bubble is supposed to work, this seems like the process working exactly like it was intended. 

Is that not right? 
I think ideally, you want a more secure bubble.

Again, I don't know the MLS plan.  The premier league (and other European leagues) seem to have done a better job in terms of keeping their players isolated/safer, and thus have had no significant issues.

The problem may not be MLS-specific, and is more an indictment of the prevalence of the virus in the US.

I think ideally, you want a more secure bubble.

Again, I don't know the MLS plan.  The premier league (and other European leagues) seem to have done a better job in terms of keeping their players isolated/safer, and thus have had no significant issues.

The problem may not be MLS-specific, and is more an indictment of the prevalence of the virus in the US.
Again, maybe I don't understand how it's supposed to work. But as I understand it, taking out Dallas and Nashville is an example of the bubble being MORE secure, not less, right?

They are saying they keep the bubble as "pure" as possible. Not allowing infected people in or removing them if they are infected, to me shows the plan is working. 

But then, maybe I'm not understanding what happened. 

I just find it fascinating that when the system works exactly like it's meant to, people shout about how the system isn't working. 

Again, maybe I don't understand how it's supposed to work. But as I understand it, taking out Dallas and Nashville is an example of the bubble being MORE secure, not less, right?

They are saying they keep the bubble as "pure" as possible. Not allowing infected people in or removing them if they are infected, to me shows the plan is working. 

I just find it fascinating that when the system works exactly like it's meant to, people shout about how the system isn't working. 
I don't know anything about the system... so this is all my gut-take.

I doubt a large group of players came in with the virus- maybe one or two. if true, the teams didn't do the right job screening and isolating. as pointed out- much of europe is back playing, but haven't had this kind of outbreak within a team forcing them to shut down at large. granted- europe isn't using this "bubble" plan... but the screening and isolating should still be happening regardless, I would think. if the plan was to just let it spread within teams and then bump those teams out... seems like a stupid plan.

I don't know anything about the system... so this is all my gut-take.

I doubt a large group of players came in with the virus- maybe one or two. if true, the teams didn't do the right job screening and isolating. as pointed out- much of europe is back playing, but haven't had this kind of outbreak within a team forcing them to shut down at large. granted- europe isn't using this "bubble" plan... but the screening and isolating should still be happening regardless, I would think. if the plan was to just let it spread within teams and then bump those teams out... seems like a stupid plan.
I think the main part of it that is disappointing is that two teams are out of the tournament before its even started.  Other than that, the main takeaway is how extremely difficult it is to put together an effective, practical protocol on this.  FC Dallas announced that all of its team tested negative, per MLS testing protocol, before they entered the bubble.  They then had 2 positives shortly after arriving at the facility in Orlando, and 4 more a few days later.  The assumption is those players had the virus, but it was in an incubation phase so they tested negative prior to entering the bubble.  Another possibility is that the tests gave false results - either the positive or negative.  Whatever happened, it illustrates a problem they will all face trying to get back.

The European plan is obviously different, with no bubble and relying on isolating positives.  There was also the example of the Russian team that had about 7 positives so they isolated the entire team and all staff, sent their youth team and its staff to play the next game and lost 10-1.  Its a mess, just a very difficult situation to deal with given the possibility of the virus being in the incubation phase when testing is done.

I think Joe's reaction is 100% accurate in a sense - this is indeed the system working and not a "failure" as such.  But it is still disappointing and is an indication of how difficult this will be for all sports leagues trying to return to play.

Spurs issues are not because of Jose - directly.

Spurs issues are tied directly to the decision not to invest in the club 2 years ago.  

Now, they are back to pre-Poch days where they are a good mid-table squad, hoping for a few lucky bounces to get top-4.

Levy and Joe Lewis know how to run a company and make a huge profit.  They are a disaster of an ownership for on-field performance.

Spurs issues are not because of Jose - directly.

Spurs issues are tied directly to the decision not to invest in the club 2 years ago.  

Now, they are back to pre-Poch days where they are a good mid-table squad, hoping for a few lucky bounces to get top-4.

Levy and Joe Lewis know how to run a company and make a huge profit.  They are a disaster of an ownership for on-field performance.
No shots on goal on a relegation bottom feeder. Lucky to escape with a point. It's miserable to watch.

Anyone ever try and stream a game from Twitter? Apparently the game tonight is on that or TUDN. Not even sure TUDN app will work here?

Can you cast from Twitter to a TV with Chromecast?

And why the hell aren’t all these games on ESPN? Jeez man, make it easy on us. The dang stress of trying to find these games is just another pain in the dang butt these days.

:hot:

How do people not get fired for this:

Incorrect penalty decisions were made by the video assistant referee in all three of Thursday's games, the Premier League has told BBC Match of the Day.

Bruno Fernandes won a spot-kick which he scored in Manchester United's 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

James Ward-Prowse hit the bar after a disputed penalty as Southampton drew 1-1 with Everton.

And Tottenham should have had a penalty for a Joshua King shove on Harry Kane in a 0-0 draw with Bournemouth.

The Premier League confirmed United and Southampton should not have been given penalties, but Tottenham should have been awarded one.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53357841

The MLS is a joke. This game is streaming on twitter but you can’t cast it onto a big TV. 

Too bad people in this country don’t really need live sports right now. Grrrr....

How do people not get fired for this:

Incorrect penalty decisions were made by the video assistant referee in all three of Thursday's games, the Premier League has told BBC Match of the Day.

Bruno Fernandes won a spot-kick which he scored in Manchester United's 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

James Ward-Prowse hit the bar after a disputed penalty as Southampton drew 1-1 with Everton.

And Tottenham should have had a penalty for a Joshua King shove on Harry Kane in a 0-0 draw with Bournemouth.

The Premier League confirmed United and Southampton should not have been given penalties, but Tottenham should have been awarded one.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53357841
The Southampton PK was a farce.

Bruno's PK was soft, probably not a PK, had VAR overturned it I would not have argued.  But Moss is a poor ref either way.

I question the Kane one though.  The breakdown I saw showed Kane being tripped by his own player causing the contact by King and Kane going down.  I am also not surprised it was totally botched since Michael Oliver has shown to be inept both on the pitch and as the VAR guy.  

But to your point, the VAR usage has been a disgrace, as discussed in multiple spots. Mainly the EPL insistance that the ref not look at a monitor and make the decision should be at the top of the list.  But consistency and how they applied it has been just as bad.  Hopefully FIFA taking over the application of the system accross all comps improves it (I can't believe I just typed something about FIFA improving something).

CletiusMaximus said:
The European plan is obviously different, with no bubble and relying on isolating positives.  There was also the example of the Russian team that had about 7 positives so they isolated the entire team and all staff, sent their youth team and its staff to play the next game and lost 10-1.
Looks like from the leak late yesterday, MLS asked FC Dallas to play their USL team in place of the first team in the tournament but the MLS PA stepped in and said NO.

ChiefD said:
And why the hell aren’t all these games on ESPN? Jeez man, make it easy on us. The dang stress of trying to find these games is just another pain in the dang butt these days.

:hot:
The Univision, ESPN and Fox contract are separate tv deals.

I believe only MLS Cup and the All Star game are simulcast across both ESPNorFox and Univison.  All the rest of the games are split between one of the three broadcasters.

I think the twitter stream is just a covid thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Univision, ESPN and Fox contract are separate tv deals.

I believe only MLS Cup and the All Star game are simulcast across both ESPNorFox and Univison.  All the rest of the games are split between one of the three broadcasters.

I think the twitter stream is just a covid thing.
Yeah, it's just dang frustrating, especially these days with technology available. I don't mind the twitter broadcast, but it would be nice if they put a cast button on there so you could cast it to a TV.

Yeah, it's just dang frustrating, especially these days with technology available. I don't mind the twitter broadcast, but it would be nice if they put a cast button on there so you could cast it to a TV.
When I don't have other options I cast from my pc to my Roku using Windows screen mirroring.

El Floppo said:
Other leagues countries are handling this whole thing way better then our country to the fact WE aren't invited to any other country probably for a very long time 

B Maverick said:
Take it one game at a time....

United and the Galaxy beg to differ with Ibra....

When asked why Ibra wears "21", he says its because he is 3x better then Ronaldo (7).  Saw this online so I'm not sure if thats a real quote, but it sounds like something he would say.
Ronaldo's Juventus just played Milan on Wed. Juve was up 2-0 till a handball that was overturned by VAR to give Milan a PK that Ibra converted. Within 8 minutes Juve went from 2-0 lead down to 3-2 eventually losing 4-2 in an improbably comeback. It's Milan fans going after Juve supporters because of how fragile they are. They lose their  :censored:  even if you say well Juve played a good game but. 

@shader

76 - Chelsea had 76% possession in this match but lost 3-0 – since 2003-04, when full possession data is available, this is the biggest margin of defeat for a team to hold as much as 76% possession in a Premier League game. Countered.

League felt bad for Juve for Wednesday's result so they have the Rebuntus refs hand them two BS PKs that we're converted by CR7 so they wouldn't lose 2 straight. Both were highly questionable handballs. Juve can't win without the refs which is why they never succeed outside of Italy. No refs don't look as Dominate 

@shader

76 - Chelsea had 76% possession in this match but lost 3-0 – since 2003-04, when full possession data is available, this is the biggest margin of defeat for a team to hold as much as 76% possession in a Premier League game. Countered.
That honestly didn’t feel like 76% for Chelsea - SU controlled the match and seemed to have all the chances.

Users who are viewing this thread