What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✍ Knowshon Moreno to season ending IR. (1 Viewer)

what's the realistic upside if one guy wins the job? I just really see much if any upside to this situation...am I missing something?

what's the realistic upside if one guy wins the job? I just really see much if any upside to this situation...am I missing something?
No, you are probably right.

They do seem high on second year guard Dallas Thomas, and love Billy Turner (rookie) as a run blocker. 2 new tackles in Albert and 1st rounder Juwan James. Pouncey back mid season - at that point, the line COULD be pretty good. Even with him on the shelf, I think it will be better than last year when we didn't have a pro-caliber tackle on our roster. Lots of "ifs" for sure...but there is some hope for improvement there. Tack on the new OC who by default has to be better than Mike Sherman, because if we threw a rock at a high school coaching staff in Hallendale, we could hit a better OC than Mike Sherman (unless maybe Tannehill was throwing the rock, and it was more than 20 yards away). There is hope, as there always is this time of year in Miami.

Reggie Bush was the #14 RB in 2012 with roughly 1000/6, 35/300/2.
but he's a good player.
I don't know about good :unsure:
Don't know if you are aware but his last 3 seasons he totaled 1,381(7 Tds)/1,278(8 Tds)/1,512(7 TDs) and then sprinkle in about 130+ receptions including 54 last year in a pretty fast paced offense despite splitting duties. If J.Bell were to miss any time you likely have a top 5 dual threat over those weeks in a Detroit offense. Let's be honest about it. He's no Jamaal Charles or LeSean McCoy but not one drafts Reggie as an RB1, he's a perfect RB2 type or strong flex.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you are probably right.

They do seem high on second year guard Dallas Thomas, and love Billy Turner (rookie) as a run blocker. 2 new tackles in Albert and 1st rounder Juwan James. Pouncey back mid season - at that point, the line COULD be pretty good. Even with him on the shelf, I think it will be better than last year when we didn't have a pro-caliber tackle on our roster. Lots of "ifs" for sure...but there is some hope for improvement there. Tack on the new OC who by default has to be better than Mike Sherman, because if we threw a rock at a high school coaching staff in Hallendale, we could hit a better OC than Mike Sherman (unless maybe Tannehill was throwing the rock, and it was more than 20 yards away). There is hope, as there always is this time of year in Miami.
When Juwan James is referred as a 1st rounder, it probably should be in quotes.

Reggie Bush was the #14 RB in 2012 with roughly 1000/6, 35/300/2.
The OL is pretty different now, much worse.
Granted, but where Moreno can be successful is in the passing game. He caught 60 passes last year and has a career 8.9 YPR (higher than Bush's 7.6 YPR). IMO he's the best receiving back on the team and can be a great outlet for Tannehill. Even if Moreno doesn't reach 1000 yards due to the OL he can still make it up in receptions. If he's healthy I think he makes a solid RB2.

Is there any doubt in any of our minds at this point that Moreno will be the starter in Miami this year?

He was quiet all preseason, injured. Just before the season he comes in and steals the starting role with solid play and excellent pass pro.

We have seen this story play out before...with Moreno...for the past 2 seasons.

It's happening again. Miller will be the change of pace. And Moreno will once again price to be the steal of many drafts. Although this game tonight will surely cause his adp to rise and millers to fall.

I'd even argue that he is more talented than miller.

Is there any doubt in any of our minds at this point that Moreno will be the starter in Miami this year?

He was quiet all preseason, injured. Just before the season he comes in and steals the starting role with solid play and excellent pass pro.

It's happening again. Miller will be the change of pace. And Moreno will once again price to be the steal of many drafts. Although this game tonight will surely cause his adp to rise and millers to fall.

I don't think he's going to be quite the steal he was last year but yeah, I agree on all counts.

He just went Undrafted in my draft today. 190 players taken. 2 rb and a flex. I guess I'm guilty too but always wanted someone over him. crazy

No doubt Moreno looks better and will win the starting job. If he doesn't that's just poor coaching. Miller just doesn't seem to have a next level in him. From all of the back patting, it seems the team recognizes it as well. If Tannehill could just throw a long ball, Miami could have a fairly potent offense.

If Moreno stays healthy....as Dolphins fan I will be thrilled to have this RBBC. Both backs do different things well.

Miller has been running tougher this pre-season...lowering is shoulder and showing he wants it. Moreno did look...well like Moreno. Tough runner, solid pass protect. A worker.

Miller will be a HR hitter and Moreno the grinder. It's exactly what the Fins want. I don't think either back will be a "steal" if both are healthy all year. It will be a pretty clear RBBC and a split situation. Fantasy owners thinking now Moreno will be that workhorse will be hugely disappointed.

Only an injury will cause either back to be the "guy"

A guy who averaged 4.0 YPC last year and whose longest TD was from 10 yards is gonna be a home run hitter? Sorry, man, not buying that.

A guy who averaged 4.0 YPC last year and whose longest TD was from 10 yards is gonna be a home run hitter? Sorry, man, not buying that.
Ghost......if your just going to base it on his season last year....you never watched him play at UM. The guy will hit some HR's this year. This team last year was an abortion on the OL. They are much improved from last year.

But you can make your assessment any way you want. He has elite speed and has HR hitting potential.

Moreno looked really good at finding holes and also was key on pass blocking. I saw him pick up the blitz a couple times and made it look easy.

We'll see. I usually don't care what guys did in college, cause the pros is a whole different ball game. There are tons of guys who lit it up in college with big plays and whatnot who got to the pros and suddenly found that their speed wasn't so special after all.

We'll see. I usually don't care what guys did in college, cause the pros is a whole different ball game. There are tons of guys who lit it up in college with big plays and whatnot who got to the pros and suddenly found that their speed wasn't so special after all.
He's not special he's efficient. He's efficient at finding holes and gaining positive yards. He's efficient at picking up the blitz and simply setting Tannehill up so he can deliver the ball, that means more snaps IMO. He's efficient in pass catching even if he doesn't do a lot with it and just plunges ahead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

If Moreno stays healthy....as Dolphins fan I will be thrilled to have this RBBC. Both backs do different things well.

Miller has been running tougher this pre-season...lowering is shoulder and showing he wants it. Moreno did look...well like Moreno. Tough runner, solid pass protect. A worker.

Miller will be a HR hitter and Moreno the grinder. It's exactly what the Fins want. I don't think either back will be a "steal" if both are healthy all year. It will be a pretty clear RBBC and a split situation. Fantasy owners thinking now Moreno will be that workhorse will be hugely disappointed.

You went from Miller would easily win the job and excel, while Moreno would probably not even make the team, to now a RBBC. At this rate of back peddling Moreno should be an all pro within two weeks.

Disagree. Perhaps it starts off as an rbbc but once philbin sees the disparity in production it won't last long. Last year miller and thomas were in an rbbc BC both of them sucked equally. And this is coming from a (disappointed) miller dynasty owner who just signed the kid to a 2 year deal in his league.

The O line was horrid last year and so it made it difficult to assess miller's true potential. Miller has had a decent not great preseason behind a better O line. He's had every opportunity to show that he has "it" and that wow factor and he did not. Moreno steps in in the most important preseason game when players on both sides are playing for real and thoroughly outplays miller (including big plays), shows power, toughness, tackle breaking ability, better pass pro ability, and sparked a fire in his teammates.

Even if you think philbin is dumb, give lazor the benefit of the doubt. They don't want to be constantly switching RBS in and out of the lineup. It clues the defense in as to what the offense is doing. If one of these backs is head and shoulders better than the other in the first few games he will become the starter and the other the backup.

I see people on here calling Moreno "efficient" but not exciting or supremely talented.

That's fine by me. What would you rather have I your fantasy team: an "efficient" Rb who is on the field for 60% or more of the teams offensive snaps, getting 15-20 touches per game, getting all the goal line carries and ripping off nice runs like Moreno did last night,

Or

A "home run" hitting back up Rb who is basically a one trick pony and needs to get the all in space with great blocking in order for him to produce,and who gets 10 combined carries/catches per game?

I'll take the efficient Moreno over the home run hitter miller any day.

I hope I'm wrong BC I own miller in dynasty and not Moreno but I think at this point I've seen enough of miller to know what he is. A very fast one trick pony kind of back in the nfl. A career backup Rb.

Bet against Moreno at your own peril. When my draft comes on Wednesday I'm targeting him and staying away from miller unless miller falls in the draft.

Lazor is now a disciple of Chip Kelly, right? Well that would mean there is a lot of emphasis on running. The Eagles were #4 in rushing attempts. McCoy had 300+ attempts but there is no way either could handle that load. They're going to get a lot of attempts regardless of who is starting or the lead. It's a cluster#### for owners. I read a tweet from Omar Kelly who suggested this was the plan all along.

Miller sucks. Let him go. It doesn't matter if he was a Cane or not. He sucks. Accept it and move on.

For all this talk of passing on Miller and Moreno being a steal, we do realize Moreno is going about 15 picks after Miller, right? And once the ADPs adjust from this weeks game, their ADPs will probably be roughly the same if not Moreno going higher.

For all this talk of passing on Miller and Moreno being a steal, we do realize Moreno is going about 15 picks after Miller, right? And once the ADPs adjust from this weeks game, their ADPs will probably be roughly the same if not Moreno going higher.
Moreno already going higher in the mocks I'm doing. Today he went in the 7th round.

Moreno just went in the 3rd of a draft I'm in.
Scratch that, 2nd. Pick 2.11. Moreno overvalued.
Surely in that draft he was.
The point is that his current adp is meaningless. He went higher in this draft than he will likely go in others but the adp is dated and useless.
Sure. I was more commenting that taking him at 2.11 is a little crazy, and I'm trying to put that nicely.

Your general point remains though much of ADP data does become stale and every league is made up of individuals who could render it meaningless.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000383106/article/knowshon-moreno-in-play-to-start-for-miami-dolphins

Knowshon Moreno in play to start for Miami Dolphins?46
  • _Sessler-65x90.jpg

• print.png

g-plus.png

fb-like.png

share-button.png

• By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Aug. 24, 2014 at 01:45 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 24, 2014 at 03:30 p.m.

Knowshon Moreno's lost summer rendered Dolphins running back Lamar Miller as the widely seen shoo-in for Miami's lead backfield spot, but is the landscape shifting?

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin was cryptic on the heels of Saturday night's 25-20 preseason win over theCowboys, a contest that saw Moreno rip through Dallas for 64 yards off 10 carries in his first game action since last season.

"We haven't released anything," Philbin later said of his backfield depth chart, per ESPN.com's James Walker. "We're still evaluating right up until we name our starter. I thought (Moreno) played well."

Around The League's Chris Wesseling was assigned to last night'sDolphins tilt and came away noting that Moreno -- two months removed from arthroscopic knee surgery -- looked just like he did in a Broncos uniform.

Moreno is coming off a career year that saw him rumble for 1,038 yards and 10 touchdowns in Denver's runner-friendly scheme. Miller, meanwhile, is looking to bounce back from a disappointing campaign in 2013.

The arrival of play-caller Bill Lazor suggests production for both backs, but Moreno's hot-and-cold offseason had Miller primed to lead the way. It's telling that one strong showing from Moreno has Miami's coaching staff weighing its options.

The "Around the League Podcast" Fantasy Football Extravaganza has landed. Tell your friends and lovers.

Has RBBC written all over it. Avoid Miami RB's this year.

I still think Miami drafts another RB....no doubt. It's a great deal for Miami. Cheap, 1 year contract, and a guy who can easily fill the 3rd down role and split carries with Miller.

It is an open competition too. Miller is still going to be given an opportunity to hold on to the starting gig. And in all fairness.....no RB would be able to run effectively with that abortion of an OL Miami had last year. And we are still far away from having a clear picture of what it will look like this upcoming season.

Lamar was a bust last year. Well documented. But behind that OL...with a QB who had a hard time going down field when given 11 or more touches Miller produced.

14/69 TD 4.92 YPC

11/62 TD 5.63 YPC

18/89 3/23 4.94 YPC

16/105 4/24 6.56 YPC

22/72 1/13 3.27 YPC

15/61 4.06 YPC

17/73 4.29 YPC

Far too often they never committed to Lamar Miller and gave DT too much undeserved work......DT stunk up the joint yet again with his lack of anything. Sherman was a dreadful play caller....it was comical at times. Miller would look great......and then they would go away from the run and force the pass....saw it far too often. The New Orleans game was a perfect example of Shermans inept feel for a game. Miller has 11 carries for 62 yards and TD....with almost 95% of that coming in the first half. They never went back to him.....it was mindboggling. Instead they dropped Tannehill back...sack, fumble a TD for the Saints. Dropped him back again.....pick then another TD for the Saints. it was that game I realized.......Sherman stunk, they have no clue....and Lamar Miller will never be given a workload to really show his speed and big play ability. Now....Lamar had some lousy games and moments no question.....that run vs the Bengals which should have been a slam dunk 70+ yard score turned into a fumble because his vision failed him and he cut back the wrong way......I get it. But the kid has loads of talent and ability.....if he can refine it this off-season...he still has a shot at being a decent NFL runner.

I am not saying Miller is a top RB....but he is capable of making huge plays and quick hits. He is capable of running, catching and blocking.....no question. What Miller must really breakthrough on this year is running through arm tackles, ankle tackles etc and getting some better vision/awareness between the tackles. He has one more shot to do something this year as Knowshon is not a dynamic runner by any stretch. But Knowshon is a great pass catcher and great blocker.....a perfect 3rd down back. Too many times we have seen RB's emerge in year 3 or 4 as opposed to year one or 2.

I think you will see both of them often. I do not see a lead back this upcoming season.....granted if both can stay healthy it will be a full blown RBBC. So both will have hot and cold fantasy values and should be avoided for the most part......if anything they are a flex play for 2014. Unless one of them truly does emerge. And both will be given an opporutnity too as our new OC wants to commit to the run far more than the dreadful Mike Sherman.

As a Dolphins fan.....I like the signing and see it as a one year plug to bridge to either a rookie back being brought in.....or maybe Lamar Miller does finally realize his potential as a game breaker/dynamic back and carves out his true role for himself. He has the talent to do some serious damage if given the space and touches to run.
To Dr Octopus who feels like I am flip flopper. I live here in South Florida. I just report a lot of what a few beat writers talk about here everyday on the radio waves which a lot of people don't hear in the Shark Pool.

This was my first post in the thread. I have always felt like this has RBBC written all over it. But then Moreno showed up fat, out of shape and hurt. There was even talk he was not going to make the roster. Then he really turned up his rehab....and Saturday night he made a strong case of "hey I am going to be a big factor" on this team.

Again as a Dolphins fan I would love for both Moreno and Miller to be great and help this team win. I don't see fantasy value though if this ends up being exactly what the Dolphins want. A RB rotation as head coach Joe Philbin called it.

Yes I am a Lamar Miller fan. I still think the kid has elite speed and the ability to make some huge plays for this team. If it does not happen this season...well then he is done. Because that is what he really brings. The threat of scoring from anywhere on the field. Those kinds of players you give a chance. His rookie year he only got 51 carries I believe. Last season he got a shot behind the worst OL in the league. This year is the year of no excuses. I like what I have seen from the OL. Far better than last year's debacle. And then Pouncy will be back by game 7. So things may be pretty good for the Dolphins offense this year.

As much as I'd love to see Lamar miller bust out and become a stud Rb this year I think the chances of that happening are slim to none. He's really just not that good. He has elite straight line speed. In the games I've watched him play he hasn't yet displayed elite ability to make defenders miss or to break tackles. That's a recipe for a role player. A 10 touch kind of Rb. I hope I'm wrong BC I'm saddled with this turd in my dynasty league. But you have to stay objective.

As far as Moreno goes, I don't understand why everyone craps on him all the time. All he has done in Denver I constantly resurrect his career after tough injuries and new coaching regimes who started out having no faith in him and ended up making him the lead back in their offenses.

When he left Denver, everyone said it was manning who made Moreno and he's JAG.

Well, it was a small sample size in preseason , but Moreno came in and in 10 carries absolutely demolished miller in every category in the most important dress rehearsal game for the regular season. He displayed decent speed, lots of power, balance, and gained tough yards. Most of all, he lit a fire under the teams ###. Something miller has yet to do in a dolphins uniform.

Moreno is like the Rodney danger field of RBS. Always producing when healthy, always getting crapped on.

If he stays healthy this year this will not be the platoon many of you think it will be. He will have a better fantasy season than last year. And I'm happy to eat crow if I'm wrong in this. It's just my gut feeling that I have come to after weighing the evidence which is (in addition to what I have stated above):

Bill lazor comes from chip Kelly's system. They rode McCoy like a Thai hooker least year. Lazor has stated already that he prefers to have a lead back that plays most of the snaps. He was gushing about miller this preseason and I'm sure miller will still have a role. But anyone with eyes that saw Morenos performance the other night saw that he is the superior back. And lazor has no dog in this fight. He wants the best back to execute his system.

Well, it was a small sample size in preseason , but Moreno came in and in 10 carries absolutely demolished miller in every category in the most important dress rehearsal game for the regular season. He displayed decent speed, lots of power, balance, and gained tough yards.
Having watched the game, I have no idea how you see this. Moreno looked decent but so did Miller. Moreno has a few gaping holes that Miller simply didn't. His long 19 yd run was the best blocked play of the game. I didn't see anything that would separate either player in the game. It seems they will get different roles in a RBBC.

Well, it was a small sample size in preseason , but Moreno came in and in 10 carries absolutely demolished miller in every category in the most important dress rehearsal game for the regular season. He displayed decent speed, lots of power, balance, and gained tough yards.
Having watched the game, I have no idea how you see this. Moreno looked decent but so did Miller. Moreno has a few gaping holes that Miller simply didn't. His long 19 yd run was the best blocked play of the game. I didn't see anything that would separate either player in the game. It seems they will get different roles in a RBBC.
I watched the game. I watched every carry for both players. I'm not saying miller looked bad. I'm saying Moreno looked far better.

And don't you find it telling that the coaches, who have has miller atop the depth chart and have been calling miller their starter all preseason, are now back pedaling and saying that the starting Rb has yet to be determined ? After 10 carries from moreno? Read the tea leaves bro.

I respect everyone's opinions and not trying to shove mine down your throat. People are aaying that it wi be a rbbc and avoid dolphins RBS at their adp BC of that. I disagree. I think the dolphins backfield will be very productive for fantasy purposes this year and one back will be way more valuable than the other. Give me the guy who gets 60% of the carries and the short yardage/gl stuff. In my opinion that's Moreno.

Why wouldn't Mia give Moreno, who hasn't been healthy his entire time with the team, a good hard look in their first opportunity? They had no idea what they had in him up until now. Giving him a lot of looks in that game means very little IMO.

CAVEAT: They played against Dallas.

The Cowboys defense has a way of making the opposing offense look better.

CAVEAT: They played against Dallas.

The Cowboys defense has a way of making the opposing offense look better.
True, but both Moreno and miller played the same Dallas defense. focus on how they looked relative to each other.

I watched the game. I watched every carry for both players. I'm not saying miller looked bad. I'm saying Moreno looked far better.

And don't you find it telling that the coaches, who have has miller atop the depth chart and have been calling miller their starter all preseason, are now back pedaling and saying that the starting Rb has yet to be determined ? After 10 carries from moreno? Read the tea leaves bro.

I respect everyone's opinions and not trying to shove mine down your throat. People are aaying that it wi be a rbbc and avoid dolphins RBS at their adp BC of that. I disagree. I think the dolphins backfield will be very productive for fantasy purposes this year and one back will be way more valuable than the other. Give me the guy who gets 60% of the carries and the short yardage/gl stuff. In my opinion that's Moreno.
I'm not ready to crown Moreno based on the Dallas game. However, it is worth noting that a couple of the Miami writers were talking about this on twitter before the Dallas game. "@OmarKelly Hands down it isn't debatable. Knowshon Moreno is the Dolphins best running back WHEN HEALTHY. @chrisperk is right. Only a matter of time."

I probably disagree with Kelly more than I agree with him, but if I can get Moreno late...I'll giving it a roll.

Here's all you really need to know about Lamar miller:

The fins let bush walk in 2013 thinking miller could be his replacement. They fully expected and hoped he would take the bill by the horns, handily outplay Daniel thomas in the preseason and secure the feature Rb role.

He couldn't do it. Let me repeat that: Lamar miller could not impress his coaches enough in the preseason 2013 and beat out DANIEL THOMAS to be given the feature role.

Instead he played himself into an rbbc.

I followed that situation very closely last year. Philbin was disappointed. He wanted miller to step up and take it.

Fast forward to this season. Miller has had a solid but unspectacular training camp and preseason. Didn't rip off any huge runs, didn't show much tackle breaking ability. In comes Moreno and BAM, the whole offense looks better. Tannehill said it himself after the game. He loves having Moreno in the backfield.

Again. Read the tea leaves. Miller is average. Moreno will dominate the touches and the goal line carries and be a steal in the 6th or 7th round of fantasy drafts this year.

Why? Because they need someone to catch the ball out of the backfield? They have that with the 1st and 2nd down back who's also a 3rd down back. Miller will spell Moreno on a couple series just to keep Moreno fresh and remind everyone why Miller is not the starter...

If both guys fall I think the play is to grab both Miller and Moreno and wait and see which one emerges. For two mid round picks you can very well land an rb2. Really see one emerging due to better play and/or injury

I draft Wednesday in my one and only redraft league.

I am looking hard at Moreno as a mid rounder (6th,7th)....not Miller. And I am a huge Miller supporter. But the vibes coming out of the team have shifted 180 degrees since Saturday night.

I think the biggest key to all of this is can Moreno stay healthy. Something other than last year he could not do with any consistency. He is IMO an injury risk. And his MO says so. I think it is so telling how far the RB position has fallen in the NFL when Knowshon Moreno coming off a huge season production wise in Denver can only land a 3MM one year deal with Miami.

Insane.

Users who are viewing this thread