What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 Viking Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Just like Rogers dropping last year I think there is a good chance that one of the QB trio of Lienart, Young & Cutler drops to the Vikes. Then they are going to have to decide between taking that QB or the best available LB. A great position to be in IF it happens.
I don't think there's much debate at all. If one of the QBs are there at #17, they're a Viking.

Just like Rogers dropping last year I think there is a good chance that one of the QB trio of Lienart, Young & Cutler drops to the Vikes.  Then they are going to have to decide between taking that QB or the best available LB.  A great position to be in IF it happens.
I don't think there's much debate at all. If one of the QBs are there at #17, they're a Viking.
:yes: absolutely!

I am holding true to my prediction; Lienart and Cutler drop (meaning past the Jets for sure), frenzy and anxiety fill the air at Music City Radio Hall and the Vikings eventually trade up to 1.06 (less likely), 1.08 (likely) or 1.10 very likely) and draft a quarterback.
Radio City Music Hall

I don't see the Vikes going RB. I think they'd deal #17 (whether down to get an extra pick or in some sort of package for Schaub) before taking Williams.

I see it: 1) Cutler/Leinart (though I think he'll be gone); 2) LB; 3) Trade

:2cents:

Linky Dinky - Viking Trade Up Rumors

Foley said the Vikings use a numerical value chart to determine the worth of each selection in the draft. Three personnel directors and one league executive, who all spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid tampering rules, provided the Pioneer Press a look at what it would take for the Vikings to move up to different parts of the first round.

The New York Jets (fourth overall), Buffalo Bills (eighth), Cleveland Browns (12th), Baltimore Ravens (13th), Philadelphia Eagles (14th) and Denver Broncos (15th) are among the teams ahead of the Vikings that are rumored to be willing to trade their pick.
I am holding true to my prediction; Lienart and Cutler drop (meaning past the Jets for sure), frenzy and anxiety fill the air at Music City Radio Hall and the Vikings eventually trade up to 1.06 (less likely), 1.08 (likely) or 1.10 very likely) and draft a quarterback. I am crossing my fingers that Lienart REALLY drops, but in all liklihood Cutler will be a Viking.Does anybody have the capability to put a #6 on those new Viking uniforms for me?
I dissagree---- I think trading up for any QB this year is misake. Def wins Championships. Draft 2 LB 1 OG with your 1st 3 picks. Then look at QB, S , WR , RB in the 3rd round.
I here what you are saying and I agree 100%, but we are not making the pick. I feel I got a good bead on what the Vikings' Triangle of Authority and usually my draft projections are not very popular. But mark my words, when the dust settles on Saturday the Vikings will have Lienart or Cutler and they will have traded up to get the quarterback. Right now, I think they end up trading with Arizona.

If all it would cost to move up is a 4th rounder, then I'm ALL for that. I can see maybe parting with one of the 3rds.

Gotta keep those 2nds, though.

We are about 29 hours from the draft and I am borderline trashed on Cutler Cool-Aid. I put it the odds at 65% chance that Minnesota trades up with Buffalo at $8 and they take Cutler.

We are about 29 hours from the draft and I am borderline trashed on Cutler Cool-Aid. I put it the odds at 65% chance that Minnesota trades up with Buffalo at $8 and they take Cutler.
Boooooooooo!!!!

Anyone else hear Morris on KFAN this morning in the Mock Draft. I missed most of the mock, but I did hear Morris pick Greenway. He has been right on the Viking's first draft pick for the last 5 years in a row. I wonder if he is out of the loop now that Pete Bersich is no longer an assistant. I think that was Morris' inside guy.

I would be fine with Greenway.

NFL Draft eve, for those of you interested here are my thoughts from the "Predict your team's first round draft pick; I bolded the one that seems to make the most sense today and the one I am sticking with.

It is hard to predict what the Vikings will do with pick 1.17, because once the draft starts the Vikings could go in many directions. Here is what I am predicting their order of operation is.

1) Minnesota tries to trade up with San Francisco to draft Cutler (or Lienart if he is there)

San Fran trades 1.06, Minnesota trades 1.17, 2.xx (48th pick) 3.xx (83rd pick) and additional 4th round pick.

Minnesota takes Cutler

2) Minnesota tries to trade up with Buffalo to draft Cutler (or Lienart if he is there)

Buffalo trades 1.08, Minnesota trades 1.17, 2.xx (48th pick) and additional 5th round pick.

Minnesota takes Cutler

3) Minnesota tries to trade up with Arizona to draft Cutler

Arizona trades 1.10, Minnesota trades 1.17 and 2.xx (51st pick)

Minnesota takes Cutler

...After pick 10, Cutler is off the board and the Vikings will stay put.

4) Drafting at 1.17, Minnesota takes Ernie Sims if he is available

5) Drafting at 1.17, Minnesota takes DeAngelo Williams if he is available

6) Drafting at 1.17, Minnesota takes Chad Greenway if he is available

FYI - Subject to tweaking up until the draft.

Mon. Aug. 14 7:00 PM Raiders

Sat. Aug. 19 7:00 PM @ Steelers

Fri. Aug. 25 7:00 PM Ravens

Thu. Aug. 31 7:00 PM @ Cowboys

Mon. Sep. 11 6:00 PM @ Redskins

Sun. Sep. 17 12:00 PM Panthers

Sun. Sep. 24 12:00 PM Bears

Sun. Oct. 1 12:00 PM @ Bills

Sun. Oct. 8 12:00 PM Lions

Sun. Oct. 22 3:15 PM @ Seahawks

Mon. Oct. 30 7:30 PM Patriots

Sun. Nov. 5 3:05 PM @ 49ers

Sun. Nov. 12 12:00 PM Packers

Sun. Nov. 19 12:00 PM @ Dolphins

Sun. Nov. 26 12:00 PM Cardinals

Sun. Dec. 3 12:00 PM @ Bears

Sun. Dec. 10 12:00 PM @ Lions

Sun. Dec. 17 12:00 PM Jets

Thu. Dec. 21 7:00 PM @ Packers

Sun. Dec. 31 12:00 PM Rams

= 4-12

:bye:

Mon. Sep. 11 6:00 PM @ Redskins L

Sun. Sep. 17 12:00 PM Panthers L

Sun. Sep. 24 12:00 PM Bears L

Sun. Oct. 1 12:00 PM @ Bills W

Sun. Oct. 8 12:00 PM Lions W

Sun. Oct. 22 3:15 PM @ Seahawks L

Mon. Oct. 30 7:30 PM Patriots L

Sun. Nov. 5 3:05 PM @ 49ers W

Sun. Nov. 12 12:00 PM Packers W

Sun. Nov. 19 12:00 PM @ Dolphins L

Sun. Nov. 26 12:00 PM Cardinals W

Sun. Dec. 3 12:00 PM @ Bears L

Sun. Dec. 10 12:00 PM @ Lions W

Sun. Dec. 17 12:00 PM Jets W

Thu. Dec. 21 7:00 PM @ Packers W

Sun. Dec. 31 12:00 PM Rams W

= 9-7

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fixed ;)

= 4-12

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your posts lately make me wonder if you are Dan Barreiro...

= 4-12

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would that make me Sid Hartman? :bag:

= 4-12

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good lord no. He's taken it to a whole new level lately.

= 4-12

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wins in bold.

= 4-12

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wins in bold.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow Andy, posting this in multiple places. You are seriously disgruntled, aren't you!

Wow Andy, posting this in multiple places.  You are seriously disgruntled, aren't you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[SIZE=21pt]YOU'RE ###### RIGHT I AM![/SIZE]
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, you told me earlier in this post that nothing could be as bad as Les Steckel. A 4-10 record isn't much better than his 2-12 record. Back then, we were looking for discipline and found a well-respected offensive cordinator with no head coaching experience. Now doesn't that sound familiar?

Wow Andy, posting this in multiple places.  You are seriously disgruntled, aren't you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, you told me earlier in this post that nothing could be as bad as Les Steckel. A 4-10 record isn't much better than his 2-12 record. Back then, we were looking for discipline and found a well-respected offensive cordinator with no head coaching experience. Now doesn't that sound familiar?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:tumbleweed:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may have been right.

Some good news on the stadium front:

House committee votes Vikings stadium bill

Paul Levy, Star Tribune

Last update: May 03, 2006 – 1:23 PM

The Minnesota Vikings gained a victory today when the House Governmental Operations and Veterans Affairs Committee voted 13-9 in favor of a bill for a $675 million Vikings stadium in Anoka county.

The committee also voted 10-9 against a referendum for funding the stadium.

Zygi Wilf, Vikings owner, said, “The committee took all the information and voted in the best interests of the public. I’m proud of their leadership.”
Build that thing! It's only about 2 miles from where I just bought a house!

Some good news on the stadium front:

House committee votes Vikings stadium bill

Paul Levy, Star Tribune

Last update: May 03, 2006 – 1:23 PM

The Minnesota Vikings gained a victory today when the House Governmental Operations and Veterans Affairs Committee voted 13-9 in favor of a bill for a $675 million Vikings stadium in Anoka county.

The committee also voted 10-9 against a referendum for funding the stadium.

Zygi Wilf, Vikings owner, said, “The committee took all the information and voted in the best interests of the public. I’m proud of their leadership.”
Build that thing! It's only about 2 miles from where I just bought a house!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought they said on the radio this morning that the Senate rejected or changed the Twins bill. They added the Vikes onto it and now all 7 counties have to vote on referendums including a half percent sales tax metro-wide.Link

A Senate panel voted to combine the Twins and Vikings stadium proposals into one bill that also would fund Twin Cities mass transit projects. It would be paid for with a .5 percent increase to the sales tax in the seven-county metro area. The tax hike would be subject to a referendum.
Better Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see this posted in this thread yet:

Vikings fire personnel director Foley

The Minnesota Vikings fired personnel director Fran Foley on Wednesday, ending a tumultuous three-month tenure that included an inaccurate resume and a draft that has been widely panned.
LINK

I think he'll be ok, but I think everyone is underestimating how much power Childress has in this "triangle of authority" thing.

I think he'll be ok, but I think everyone is underestimating how much power Childress has in this "triangle of authority" thing.
According to the Star Tribune, Studwell is included in the leadership, and now it sounds like it is more of a square of authority.Star Trib Article

I think those involved are going to be pretty cohesive and not have a lot of ego. I feel pretty good about the hire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think those involved are going to be pretty cohesive and not have a lot of ego. I feel pretty good about the hire.
I do too, actually. Rob B. and Speilman worked together in Miami. Speilman seems to respect Studwell (at least during the draft coverage and at the news conference yesterday). And I think Childress has more say than the "Square of Authority" lets on. Maybe its a rhombus. :ph34r:

I think those involved are going to be pretty cohesive and not have a lot of ego.  I feel pretty good about the hire.
I do too, actually. Rob B. and Speilman worked together in Miami. Speilman seems to respect Studwell (at least during the draft coverage and at the news conference yesterday). And I think Childress has more say than the "Square of Authority" lets on. Maybe its a rhombus. :ph34r:
I'm getting my resume ready now! Who knows...by the time training camp comes along it could be a Tetrahedron of Authority!! :banned:

The first preseason game is upon us, how about some thoughts on training camp?

I am feeling pretty good about the offensive line. Clearly this will be the key to the offense; opening holes and creating protection. I think Hutchinson will help elevate McKinnie's game and Birk (if healthy) is a huge plus.

Defensively, I am giddy about Erasmus and Kenechi being healthy and beyond their rookie year. I am hoping both come on strong and can register at least 7.5 sacks a piece.

Greenway appears to be overshadowed because of the performance EJ thus far in camp, but I am still not hearing a lot about Harris in the middle.

Vikings fans, what would happen if Chester Taylor were injured? The latest FBG camp update says Fason has moved ahead of MMoore on the depth chart - would they split time, or would Fason get a shot at the starting job?

Also, how has Fason looked in general? Does he have the talent to be a starter at some point in his career?

SIGNED:

PLAYER.......................... POS...... SCHOOL......................... EXPERIENCE

Rashad Baker...................... DB..... Tennessee....................... 3rd Year

Artose Pinner....................... RB..... Kentucky.......................... 4th Year

WAIVED:

PLAYER.......................... POS...... SCHOOL......................... EXPERIENCE

Jason Carter....................... WR..... Texas A&M....................... Rookie :(

Wendell Mathis.................... RB..... Fresno State.................... Rookie

PRACTICE SQUAD SIGNINGS:

Richard Angulo..................... TE..... Western New Mexico....... 4th Year

Charles Gordon................... CB..... Kansas............................. Rookie :)

Martin Nance...................... WR..... Miami (Ohio).................... Rookie

Donald Penn........................... T..... Utah State........................ Rookie

Khreem Smith..................... DE..... Oklahoma State............... 1st Year

Hopefully Carter and Mathis both make it to the practice squad.

I'm still a little surprised about Offord and Rod Davis being cut.

Vikings | McKinnie agrees to terms on seven-year deal

Sat, 9 Sep 2006 10:43:57 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings OT Bryant McKinnie agreed to terms on a seven-year deal worth up to $54.4 million. The deal includes his $900,000 base salary for the 2006 season with another $17.25 million in guarantees. Due to OG Steve Hutchinson's contract, the contract is technically worth $48.5 million over seven years. This way Hutchinson remains the highest-paid offensive lineman on the team and will not guarantee his contract over the full seven years.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread