What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 Every Down Linebackers (4 Viewers)

Hi Jene,what do you expect from Keith Rivers in terms of numbers? 70 Tackles maybe more ?
I'd think Rivers could easily hit 75 solos as an every down WLB. That's close to Landon Johnson's output over the past two seasons. If Thurman v2005 shows up, I think it'll be difficult for Rivers to top 85. Should be some reasonable coverage peripherals for him, too.

Assuming Berry is out of gas, I would think LaBoy would be a 3-down LB as the WOLB for the Cards.
There are a lot of options in Arizona, but I think you're probably right. My brain just won't let LaBoy back into its good graces after I pimped him two years ago only to see him fail as an every down player.First post updated.

Not Lofton for Atlanta?
I'm not convinced he'll start over Brooking yet. If he does, it's no lock that he'll bump Brooking from the nickel. Both are certainly debatable, though.
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...debuts_bro.html

On defense, rookie Curtis Lofton and second-year Georgia product Tony Taylor rotated at middle linebacker. Keith Brooking returned to his natural spot at weakside linebacker. Coach Mike Smith said that a lot of the positions changes are experimental, although Brooking feels far more comfortable at weakside linebacker than inside.

Is Fletcher worth a 2nd round rookie pick in a dyno draft? start 3 LB. Current corps is a bit weak (Puz, Sims, Greenway, Crowell, Brooking)
What # pick? last year I gave pick 25 for DJ Williams
My 2nd round pick is #17My logic is this: I was going to go LB with this pick anyway. Last year I got Puz @ 2.04. I think he was the 2nd or 3rd LB off the board. I have to assume a similar situation this year. Is the 3rd drafted LB better than Fletcher? I dont think so... Besides, I have a couple of young'uns that could turn out but this is the year I make a run at the playoffs. Comments?

Jene

Do you have any news about Pisa Tinoisamoa's MCL injury and if it will affect his play in 2008.

Thanks!!!

JeneDo you have any news about Pisa Tinoisamoa's MCL injury and if it will affect his play in 2008.Thanks!!!
I believe he is participating in this weekend's minicamp, though limited. He didn't need surgery and I don't remember hearing about any setbacks. It's not the type of injury that should affect his play if it heals properly and there doesn't seem to be an indication it didn't. I suppose there's hope for him behind a much improved defensive line, but his tackle numbers haven't been exciting enough to risk the injury problems.

i took the chance on him staying healthy

He's just for Depth behind

ILB

Kirk Morrison

Paul Posluszny

Will Witherspoon

Gary Brackett

OLB

Demarcus Ware

Ernie Sims

James Harrison

Pisa Tinoisamoa

Clark Haggans

We can go either 4-3 or 3-4 and we can also play guys out of position (we get 70% of total if out of position)

Just looking for someone to fill in everynow and then in case of bye or injury.

league min salary for two years

thanks

Please keep the main threads free from league specific advice questions. We have a dedicated Assistant Coach subforum for specific advice requests to keep the main threads focused on news and general discussion.

Thanks.

a similar topic on this trend would be to gather info on which defensive player on each team will be mic'ed up like Qbs are. One would figure those 32 players will be definite 3-down guys.

Something to re-evaluate once TC begins, I think Wimbley will be the only 3 down LB for Cleveland in 08. If Bell is what I think he is I believe you're going to see him sharing time with Leon Williams and DQwell Jackson. Leon and DQwell should be the nickel guys, but I think you're going to see all three of them in various run D formations. A side effect of this would be us dangling Andra Davis out as trade bait, we wouldn't get much for him (late round pick or a player swap - maybe with another team with an extra corner or safety) but I believe other franchises believe they can get another year or two out of Davis as a potential stopgap.

All of this is very speculative, just something to think about...

Something to re-evaluate once TC begins, I think Wimbley will be the only 3 down LB for Cleveland in 08. If Bell is what I think he is I believe you're going to see him sharing time with Leon Williams and DQwell Jackson. Leon and DQwell should be the nickel guys, but I think you're going to see all three of them in various run D formations. A side effect of this would be us dangling Andra Davis out as trade bait, we wouldn't get much for him (late round pick or a player swap - maybe with another team with an extra corner or safety) but I believe other franchises believe they can get another year or two out of Davis as a potential stopgap.All of this is very speculative, just something to think about...
I would be very surprised if DQwell is not a 3-down LB in 2008.

Probably a good idea to remove Thurman from this list.
Yep, I'll update it today. And I'll begin making an effort to find the headset guys. They'll be noted with an * in the original post. Many of them will be tentative and I strongly doubt I'll find a LB not on this list that will be wearing one. Also, my recollection is that many coaches have said they'll use secondary players, fearing that the receiver may be damaged by heavy hitting. We'll see how it comes out.ETA: From some initial google searches, I'm not sure how much value the helmet receiver will have for us here. The vast majority of stories from post draft minicamps suggest that teams have had multiple players try the headset and are listing one linebacker and one safety as possibles, pretty much by default. I think there will be the occasional story that sheds some light on the every down situation (Bradley getting the receiver or an injury fill-in later in the year surprisingly getting trusted with one), so I'll keep searching and updating the original post as I see the blurbs (feel free to post them in here, too), but I'm not sure there's much to be gleaned right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I'll update it today. And I'll begin making an effort to find the headset guys. They'll be noted with an * in the original post. Many of them will be tentative and I strongly doubt I'll find a LB not on this list that will be wearing one. Also, my recollection is that many coaches have said they'll use secondary players, fearing that the receiver may be damaged by heavy hitting. We'll see how it comes out.ETA: From some initial google searches, I'm not sure how much value the helmet receiver will have for us here. The vast majority of stories from post draft minicamps suggest that teams have had multiple players try the headset and are listing one linebacker and one safety as possibles, pretty much by default. I think there will be the occasional story that sheds some light on the every down situation (Bradley getting the receiver or an injury fill-in later in the year surprisingly getting trusted with one), so I'll keep searching and updating the original post as I see the blurbs (feel free to post them in here, too), but I'm not sure there's much to be gleaned right now.
Dhani Jones was interesting to me (getting the speaker).

Jeff Pasquino said:
Jene Bramel said:
radiohead417 said:
Jones shouldn't even be on the team, much less starting -- which I know I don't have to tell you :yawn: . He was third on the depth chart for nickel purposes, though, behind Rivers and a projected Thurman at MLB. There's no one else on this team that's proven capable of playing in the nickel with Caleb Miller and Landon Johnson (and now Thurman) gone. I suppose it's possible the dot goes to Rivers at some point, but considering the youth that probably starts at LB (and S, where the receiver is getting placed with other clubs), Jones was a better fit than Rivers, White and Ndukwe. And how sad is that?Both Jeff and I will caution you defensive newbies following along that Dhani Jones is a gentlemen who was phased out of the Eagle nickel in 2006 in favor of Omar Gaither etal and couldn't find a roster spot on a team that wasn't exactly swimming in LB depth because he doesn't fit well on special teams. Be careful before getting excited that he's an every down player; it's hard to see him doing what guys like Jay Foreman and Danny Clark have done in recent seasons. A better comp might be Peter Sirmon.

Jeff Pasquino said:
Jene Bramel said:
radiohead417 said:
Jones shouldn't even be on the team, much less starting -- which I know I don't have to tell you :) . He was third on the depth chart for nickel purposes, though, behind Rivers and a projected Thurman at MLB. There's no one else on this team that's proven capable of playing in the nickel with Caleb Miller and Landon Johnson (and now Thurman) gone. I suppose it's possible the dot goes to Rivers at some point, but considering the youth that probably starts at LB (and S, where the receiver is getting placed with other clubs), Jones was a better fit than Rivers, White and Ndukwe. And how sad is that?Both Jeff and I will caution you defensive newbies following along that Dhani Jones is a gentlemen who was phased out of the Eagle nickel in 2006 in favor of Omar Gaither etal and couldn't find a roster spot on a team that wasn't exactly swimming in LB depth because he doesn't fit well on special teams. Be careful before getting excited that he's an every down player; it's hard to see him doing what guys like Jay Foreman and Danny Clark have done in recent seasons. A better comp might be Peter Sirmon.
:lmao: Did I strike a nerve, Jene?Dhani :lmao: JonesYes, there's a reason he's no longer an Eagle - but hey, if Paris Lenon was an IDP value, so can Dhani be for a year, can't he?Any starting MLB that wears a speaker is worth rostering in most leagues, regardless of skill level. 4-5 tackles at MLB isn't hard to get in most schemes. While Dhani won't win you a championship and is likely in his final year of value (if you can call it that) he's a good LB4 or LB5 candidate that most will overlook.But yeah, he's not really good.

:thumbup: Did I strike a nerve, Jene?
:eek: Pretty hard for a guy that likes to watch good defense to look forward to having Dhani Jones as an every down MLB on his so-called homer team.
Any starting MLB that wears a speaker is worth rostering in most leagues, regardless of skill level. 4-5 tackles at MLB isn't hard to get in most schemes. While Dhani won't win you a championship and is likely in his final year of value (if you can call it that) he's a good LB4 or LB5 candidate that most will overlook.
Agree with all of the above. Except that I don't mind overlooking some of these LB4-5 candidates. I suppose it's a fine line and a lot of personal preference, but I thought there was visible upside with Paris Lenon last year. I wouldn't have pegged him for 90 solos necessarily, but it was possible. I can't imagine that happening to Jones this year. I'd rather roster a guy like Mayo or Durant or Bradley out of the same tier and risk the downside. I may be wrong about Jones but I'll let someone else keep him on their roster in the hopes that they end up starting him. Roster crunch concerns aside, I prefer to target one week wonder possibilities off the waiver wire than start the Dhani Jones and Peter Sirmons of the landscape.

Biabreakable said:
What does the asterix mean in the original post? :goodposting:
And I'll begin making an effort to find the headset guys. They'll be noted with an * in the original post. Many of them will be tentative and I strongly doubt I'll find a LB not on this list that will be wearing one. Also, my recollection is that many coaches have said they'll use secondary players, fearing that the receiver may be damaged by heavy hitting. We'll see how it comes out.

Biabreakable said:
What does the asterix mean in the original post? :lmao:
And I'll begin making an effort to find the headset guys. They'll be noted with an * in the original post. Many of them will be tentative and I strongly doubt I'll find a LB not on this list that will be wearing one. Also, my recollection is that many coaches have said they'll use secondary players, fearing that the receiver may be damaged by heavy hitting. We'll see how it comes out.
Ah ok thanks Jene.I am seeing that Lofton is not being listed here yet he is ranked really high in the IDP rankings. Do you not list rookies on this list until they are confirmed starters?

Biabreakable said:
What does the asterix mean in the original post? :mellow:
Ah ok thanks Jene.I am seeing that Lofton is not being listed here yet he is ranked really high in the IDP rankings. Do you not list rookies on this list until they are confirmed starters?
No, Mayo, Rivers and Dizon are on there I think. Just have yet to see confirmation that Lofton will be on the field instead of Brooking or that they'll move Boley into a rush role on passing downs. Both are very possible.

Falcons LB Brooking To Wear Communicator Helmet

D. Orlando Ledbetter, Atlanta Journal-Constitution- [Full Article]

LB Keith Brooking is expected to wear the newly allowed defensive in-helmet communicator this season for the Falcons defense.

Hey Jene, since Brady James is going to wear the headset, do you think that is going to raise his numbers over the predictions you guys have set for him? It looks as though he was predicted to lose snaps in the nickle but if he is wearing the headset, I doubt he will be off the field much.

Here are the most recent predictions for him:

TKL AST SACK FF FR INT PD FPT

John Norton 60 33 3 1 1 0 4 140.75

Aaron Rudnicki 60 30 2 1 2 0 3 137.00

Also, do you really see DQ losing snaps in Cleveland? He seemed like one of the more definite every down backers there, just curious of your take on this.

Hey Jene, since Brady James is going to wear the headset, do you think that is going to raise his numbers over the predictions you guys have set for him? It looks as though he was predicted to lose snaps in the nickle but if he is wearing the headset, I doubt he will be off the field much. Here are the most recent predictions for him: TKL AST SACK FF FR INT PD FPT John Norton 60 33 3 1 1 0 4 140.75 Aaron Rudnicki 60 30 2 1 2 0 3 137.00 Also, do you really see DQ losing snaps in Cleveland? He seemed like one of the more definite every down backers there, just curious of your take on this.Thanks :-)
I don't see Jackson losing snaps. The James news is interesting. It would increase his stat projection some, but probably not enough to send him into a tier where he's clearly above replacement level. I'm not convinced he'll keep the headset into opening weekend, though, if Thomas proves he's healthy.

I was really excited for Justin Durant's prospects this year, he's really not going to be a 3 down LB?
I think there's a good chance he may be, but Peterson and Smith have been entrenched in those roles for so long that it's hard to project otherwise until we know for certain.

No, Mayo, Rivers and Dizon are on there I think. Just have yet to see confirmation that Lofton will be on the field instead of Brooking or that they'll move Boley into a rush role on passing downs. Both are very possible.
Where is the confirmation that Dizon has overtaken Paris Lenon at MLB? While I think it could happen I haven't seen anything saying that it is a lock. Just wondering if I might have missed something?

Where is the confirmation that Dizon has overtaken Paris Lenon at MLB? While I think it could happen I haven't seen anything saying that it is a lock. Just wondering if I might have missed something?
The last time I updated the first post, Dizon was expected to see time at MLB in OTAs. That didn't happen. However, it still wouldn't surprise me to see Dizon move ahead of Lenon on passing downs even if he doesn't start in the middle.

Jene Bramel said:
Biabreakable said:
What does the asterix mean in the original post? :no:
The last time I updated the first post, Dizon was expected to see time at MLB in OTAs. That didn't happen. However, it still wouldn't surprise me to see Dizon move ahead of Lenon on passing downs even if he doesn't start in the middle.
Ok thanks Jene.This is definitly a situation I see worth monitoring.Last year the Lions had 1087 offensive plays run against them compared to only running 965 plays on offense.They were on the wrong side of TOP 32:39 average for their opponents.Although the HC has recommited to the running game we all know that these commitments get abandoned when the team is losing. So I do not see a lot of reason to expect the Lions to improve their TOP situation moving forward. Their defense is soft up the middle and this lends to some very good tackle opportunity for the MLB.I picked up Lenon last year in dynasty leagues because of how he was performing in the box scores. Dizon certainly has the potential to be a more complete player if he should win the job. If they split time at MLB that will hurt both players opportunity however.With 2 games against the run heavy Vikings, a Packers team that may lean more heavily on the run against them and teams like Jacksonville and the Titans on the schedule this year there definitly will be some times to consider the Lions MLB a start.If one of these 2 can establish themselves as the guy.

Biabreakable said:
Marinelli will not hand a rookie a starting job. That's why he is not listed as the starter. But from everything I have seen around here, Dizon should start early, if not week 1.

Looks like a good call on James.

Rob Phillips, of DallasCowboys.com, reports Dallas Cowboys LB Bradie James is unlikely to play in the team's nickel defense again in 2008. James said, "We've got too much talent. I could see if we didn't have all the linebackers we have, all the secondary guys we have. I preach everybody has a role, do your best at your role. I would like to play third down because I feel like that gives me a chance to go for individual accolades, but I've got to make it work without playing third down."

Looks like a good call on James. Rob Phillips, of DallasCowboys.com, reports Dallas Cowboys LB Bradie James is unlikely to play in the team's nickel defense again in 2008. James said, "We've got too much talent. I could see if we didn't have all the linebackers we have, all the secondary guys we have. I preach everybody has a role, do your best at your role. I would like to play third down because I feel like that gives me a chance to go for individual accolades, but I've got to make it work without playing third down."
Which doesn't jive at all with an earlier report that James will have the helmet communicator. I'm not so sure this is going to be a reliable indicator in every instance.

My understanding of the rule is that only 1 helmet with a transmitter is allowed on the field at one time.

I have not seen any verbiage that would preclude an additional player(s) from having one, such as a nickel DB, etc., as long as they are not on the field at the same time. I'd imagine this may be the case for backup QBs as well.

If anybody can provide a reference, it would be appreciated!

My understanding of the rule is that only 1 helmet with a transmitter is allowed on the field at one time.

I have not seen any verbiage that would preclude an additional player(s) from having one, such as a nickel DB, etc., as long as they are not on the field at the same time. I'd imagine this may be the case for backup QBs as well.

If anybody can provide a reference, it would be appreciated!
Here's a clarification of the rule I picked up from a Packers Blog.Palm Beach, Fla. -- By a vote of 25-7, the NFL owners passed a proposal that would allow a defensive player on the field to wear a radio in his helmet so he could receive play calls from the sideline.

The proposal was made two years ago to give the defense the same advantage the offense had as far as getting plays into the huddle, but the owners did not see it as necessary. It came up for a vote last year, too, but again didn't get the required votes.

This time around it passed, most likely because of the New England "Spygate" scandal in which signals from opposing coaches were illegally taped. With this system, signals won't hav eot be used because a defensive player will hear the call from his coach over a receiver in his helmet.

This proposal also featured a backup provision. If the player who has the radio helmet gets hurt, another player who is designated before the game may use a helmet with a radio in it. If for some reason both helmets are used on the field at the same time, a 5-yard penalty would be levied against the defense.

The helmets will be marked with a big green dot, just like quarterback helmets are.

More than likely, the Packers will designate middle linebacker Nick Barnett as the one to receive the radio helmet, but other options are safeties Nick Collins and Atari Bigby. All three play in base and sub packages and never leave the field.

Some players will probably just have 2 helmets- one with the communicator and one without. Unless the device can be easily and quickly added and removed, which I doubt.

Browns ILB Andra Davis will wear the team's defensive headset to relay in play calls from the sideline this season.

Davis is now a sure bet to be Cleveland's starter next to D'Qwell Jackson, and figures to be an every-down player. This ups Davis' IDP potential a bit.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

bcr8f said:
Browns ILB Andra Davis will wear the team's defensive headset to relay in play calls from the sideline this season.

Davis is now a sure bet to be Cleveland's starter next to D'Qwell Jackson, and figures to be an every-down player. This ups Davis' IDP potential a bit.

Be very careful with Rotoworld folks. Here's the full blurb from the primary source.

Testing, one, two, three: A new NFL rule this year allows one defensive player to wear a helmet with an earpiece, like the quarterbacks, that will enable them to hear coaches' defensive signals. Crennel said that the defense will be introduced to the process this weekend. At present, Crennel plans for linebacker Andra Davis to be the designated helmet-wearer and linebacker Leon Williams to be the alternate. No more than one player at a time can wear the special helmet and only two players can be designated for it prior to games.

Nothing has changed from last season. The Browns will enter camp with Davis as the thumper on early downs and Williams playing in the nickel packages unless Beau Bell has an early impact.

bcr8f said:

Be very careful with Rotoworld folks. Here's the full blurb from the primary source.

Testing, one, two, three: A new NFL rule this year allows one defensive player to wear a helmet with an earpiece, like the quarterbacks, that will enable them to hear coaches' defensive signals. Crennel said that the defense will be introduced to the process this weekend. At present, Crennel plans for linebacker Andra Davis to be the designated helmet-wearer and linebacker Leon Williams to be the alternate. No more than one player at a time can wear the special helmet and only two players can be designated for it prior to games.

Nothing has changed from last season. The Browns will enter camp with Davis as the thumper on early downs and Williams playing in the nickel packages unless Beau Bell has an early impact.
:rolleyes: This is why our bloggers actually READ the article before posting news....

As a D'Qwell owner, I'm worried about the lack of confidence in the guy we all feel will be on the field for every snap. Maybe he isn't going to become the leader of this D after all. Can anyone imagine Jaime sharper or Ed Reed standing in front of every defensive huddle before Ray Lewis (when he was good)? Maybe I'm digging too deep but I'm concerned.

Info on the backup "speaker helmet" for the 'Skins:

Zorn says the team will not have a designated second defensive player set to wear the speaker helmet. Starting MLB London Fletcher, who never misses a play, will wear it, and should anyone have to come in for him, the team would then adjust the second speaker helmet (which sits in a box on the sidelines) to fit that player. Not sure how quickly they could make that transition, and at this point if I'm a Skins fan I'm hoping backup LBs Khary Campbell and H.B. Blades have the same size head as Fletcher.

"We decided not to have a second guy with the speaker, because we feel that London is an every-down player," Zorn said. So if Fletcher goes down, whoever the backup MLB is - likely Blades - "we'll get that guy fitted, whoever that is, we'll get him fitted right there. But we're not going to have a designated second [microphone] guy."
That blog post also mentions that DC Greg Blache is having "issues" getting used to the communication system. I don't think Blache will have a problem going back to hand signals if they run into snags with the speaker helmets (in fact, he may prefer it).

Users who are viewing this thread