What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 Every Down Linebackers (2 Viewers)

Will Jyles Tucker become a 3-down OLB when he finally returns for SDC?

Will be be able to displace Harris who I'm assuming is a 3-down currently, but not listed.

A number of minor injury changes over the past two weeks, but the major news is the Cardinals pulling Gerald Hayes from many of their 3-3-5 nickel looks over the past two weeks. Also close to adding Zach Thomas to this list again.

Greenwood in for Diles?
Possibly, but it's not a lock. I'd think Bentley could end up taking every down snaps. He was getting looks in training camp there. Greenwood got the snaps a few weeks back with Diles was dinged late in a game, so he's probably the favorite for now.

Is Freddie Keiaho not a 3 down backer all the time anymore? I thought I saw him get pulled more than a few times yesterday. Not sure if he was slightly banged up or if someone else took his 3rd down spot.

Is Freddie Keiaho not a 3 down backer all the time anymore? I thought I saw him get pulled more than a few times yesterday. Not sure if he was slightly banged up or if someone else took his 3rd down spot.
I've seen Tyjuan Hagler in for part of a series now and then, presumably due to Keiaho's multiple dings, but I don't think it's seriously impacting his playing time.

Maybe this was brought up earlier, but is Leroy Hill an every down player?
He was earlier in the season. I took him off this week (or last) after seeing the Seahawks begin running a lot of dime formations against spread sets. Hill had dropped down to playing just over 70% of the defensive snaps in Weeks 8 and 9 after playing 90%+ earlier in the season.Hard to know if that was Kerney related (Seahawks wanting more coverage with a weaker pass rush) or matchup related (both SF and PHI frequently use multiWR sets).

Will Adibi be every down or will it be Bentley? Anyone know? I assume his low tackle projection means he will only be a 2 down player.

Will Adibi be every down or will it be Bentley? Anyone know? I assume his low tackle projection means he will only be a 2 down player.
There was a note in one of the other threads that quoted Kubiak as strongly suggesting Adibi would be getting a lot of nickel snaps.

I noticed Hawk comes off the field when they go to the dime set. Brandon Chillar is the LB. Has this always been the case even when Hawk was at the WILL?

I noticed Hawk comes off the field when they go to the dime set. Brandon Chillar is the LB. Has this always been the case even when Hawk was at the WILL?
Yes, although it was Barnett as the dime backer when healthy. The Packers only go to the dime against four WRs, however, so except against teams like Detroit or New Orleans, it's not a major issue as it's probably 1-2 snaps out of ten even then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting roster shakeups straightBleedinggreennation_tiny by JasonB on Nov 25, 2008 1:00 PM EST in NewsOver the past couple of days we seen a couple of changes to the Eagles roster. With the short week, I thought it would be smart to try and get handle on what we will see and what we could see. So here goes... * Before Sunday's game Omar Gaither was benched in favor of Akeem Jordan. Jordan will retain the starting WILL LB job.

Is Greenwood expected to see any action in nickel or dime this week, or is Adibi now an every down player? I am considering starting Adibi against Jacksonville this week, but want to confirm he will be on the field in all sets.

Is Greenwood expected to see any action in nickel or dime this week, or is Adibi now an every down player? I am considering starting Adibi against Jacksonville this week, but want to confirm he will be on the field in all sets.
Adibi is an every-down player. Greenwood is a reserve right now.

In gamebook they just list them as ILBs. Cleveland list their ILBs as mike and will, with Davis playing mike and Jackson the will.

I'm not sure the Jets adjust their ILBs to the srong-side of the formation or if they just play straight up right/left.

Is Bowens or Barton considered the MIKE in the Jets 3-4?
The Jets call their SILB the Mike, though that's not consistent for all 3-4 teams. When Barton and Bowens are on the field together in the base 3-4, Bowens has taken the majority of snaps as the SILB. When Bowens leaves the field, I've seen Barton move over to the strong side, with Cody Spencer playing a WILB role.

First post updated with expectations/speculations of what may happen after this week's LB shuffle around the league.

Expecting Winborn and Williams to be the every-down players (assuming Williams plays), likely Woodyard in Williams place if not. Keiaho may be the only every-down linebacker in Indy this week, with Hagler a possible nickel backer if he plays. If Hagler is out, lean to the more experienced Session. Boiman looks likely to stay on the field in the nickel with Johnson after the position swap. David Harris may not bump Eric Barton from snaps, yet, but it's worth watching. Pisa Tinoisamoa looks like the only every-down backer in St. Louis, but Witherspoon didn't play in every nickel package last week and Chris Draft may get more time than the usual base defensive only backer.

-Bruschi possibly to IR

Was Bruschi taking any snaps away from Mayo? Sometimes I would see him in on goalline in the middle and Mayo on the sidelines.

Also, I did not want to waste starting a new thread for this but wanted to know about the decline in the production of Stephen Cooper in recent weeks. His solo tackle numbers the last 3 weeks are 2, 4, & 4 and the 2 picks he had against the Raiders really made up for his low tackle output. What I have noticed, is ever since I have seen him wearing some type of sleeve on I think his left arm, his production tackle wise is down. With that said, I am considering starting him against the Chiefs, who in my league are 21st in points allowed to the LB position, so the matchup is not favorable from that angle. So any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Johnson said:
-Bruschi possibly to IRWas Bruschi taking any snaps away from Mayo? Sometimes I would see him in on goalline in the middle and Mayo on the sidelines.Also, I did not want to waste starting a new thread for this but wanted to know about the decline in the production of Stephen Cooper in recent weeks. His solo tackle numbers the last 3 weeks are 2, 4, & 4 and the 2 picks he had against the Raiders really made up for his low tackle output. What I have noticed, is ever since I have seen him wearing some type of sleeve on I think his left arm, his production tackle wise is down. With that said, I am considering starting him against the Chiefs, who in my league are 21st in points allowed to the LB position, so the matchup is not favorable from that angle. So any thoughts?
I've seen Mayo playing in short yardage in prior weeks and those situations are usually a smaller percentage than nickel snaps, thus I usually don't consider them for the purposes of this thread. Guyton (in the dime) was a bigger threat to Mayo's playing time than Bruschi. Guyton is a favorite to become an every-down backer this week.Cooper's elbow injury hasn't kept him out of games but has definitely affected his tackling. He looked better last week, but had relatively limited opportunity against Oakland. The same should be the case against KC, though the ten day break should benefit him overall. He's still a LB2 tier starter to me.I've yet to finish my research this week, but I'll probably be adding Session and Bishop to the initial post by midweek.

Jack Johnson said:
-Bruschi possibly to IR
I've seen Mayo playing in short yardage in prior weeks and those situations are usually a smaller percentage than nickel snaps, thus I usually don't consider them for the purposes of this thread. Guyton (in the dime) was a bigger threat to Mayo's playing time than Bruschi. Guyton is a favorite to become an every-down backer this week.
So the only set Mayo will still come out on is the dime?

Jack Johnson said:
-Bruschi possibly to IR
I've seen Mayo playing in short yardage in prior weeks and those situations are usually a smaller percentage than nickel snaps, thus I usually don't consider them for the purposes of this thread. Guyton (in the dime) was a bigger threat to Mayo's playing time than Bruschi. Guyton is a favorite to become an every-down backer this week.
So the only set Mayo will still come out on is the dime?
Didn't see the game, but Mike Reiss has Mayo on the field for 47 of 57 snaps against Seattle. Sounds like some of those may have been short yardage, but I'd be willing to be the rest came in the dime packages against spread offensive sets.Still a work in progress here, but Junior Seau may have something to say about Bruschi's base defensive snaps as well.I'll try to get a full update together by tomorrow morning.

is this close to official? does the nfl put out a list of wears the communicators?
I have not kept the communicator information current since the season started. The teams probably have to declare who wears the communicator to the league before each game, but I'm not aware of any outlet that reports that information regularly.The first post has a date/time stamp of the most recent edit. I usually try to edit the post midweek after fallout from the previous week's games.

Users who are viewing this thread