What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 NFL Draft order (1 Viewer)

nerangers

Footballguy
2008 Draft Order

No. Team

1 Miami Dolphins

2 St. Louis Rams

3 Atlanta Falcons #

4 Oakland Raiders #

5 Kansas City Chiefs #

6 New York Jets

7 New England Patriots (from 49ers)

8 Baltimore Ravens

9 Cincinnati Bengals

10 New Orleans Saints

11 Buffalo Bills

12 Denver Broncos

13 Carolina Panthers

14 Chicago Bears

15 Detroit Lions

16 Arizona Cardinals

17 Minnesota Vikings

18 Houston Texans

19 Philadelphia Eagles

20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers *

21 Washington Redskins *

22 Dallas Cowboys (from Browns) *

23 Seattle Seahawks *

24 Pittsburgh Steelers *

25 Tennessee Titans *

26 New York Giants *

27 San Diego Chargers *

28 Jacksonville Jaguars *

29 Green Bay Packers *

30 Dallas Cowboys *

31 San Francisco 49ers (from Colts) *

32 New England Patriots **

* -- Subject to playoffs

# -- Subject to coin flip

** -- Lost first round pick (figured some of you would love seeing a few asteriks next to the Patriots name! lol)

2008 NFL Draft order - NFL.com

The Miami Dolphins will make the first choice of the 2008 NFL Draft on April 26-27. The order of the first round of the 2008 Draft was announced today by the NFL.

The Dolphins’ choice will be followed by the St. Louis Rams picking second and either the Atlanta Falcons or Oakland Raiders third.

Atlanta, Kansas City, and Oakland had the same strength-of-schedule in the 2007 season. Since Kansas City finished third in the AFC West Division and the Raiders fourth (the tie was broken on the basis of record in common games), the Raiders will draft ahead of the Chiefs. Atlanta and Oakland will flip a coin for the third position at the NFL Combine in February. If Atlanta wins, the Falcons will draft third, the Raiders fourth, and the Chiefs fifth. If the Raiders win the coin flip, they will draft third, and the Falcons and Chiefs will flip a coin to determine the fourth and fifth positions.

Though Buffalo and Denver had the same strength-of-schedule, their tie for the 11th and 12th positions was broken by the conference tie-breaker. Since Denver defeated Buffalo in head-to-head competition, Buffalo is given priority in the draft order and will select in the 11th position.

Chicago and Detroit also had the same strength-of-schedule. Their tie for the 14th and 15th positions was broken by the divisional tiebreaker. Since the Lions defeated the Bears twice in head-to-head competition, Chicago is given priority and will select in the 14th position.

Since Cleveland is not in the playoffs, the Browns (who traded the selection to Dallas) have priority in the draft ahead of playoffs teams with the same record.

Within a tied segment, non-playoff clubs are given priority over playoff clubs. Priority of playoff clubs within a tied segment will be based on their advancement in the playoffs, but they will not drop out of their tied segment unless they participate in the Super Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks nerangers. Always look forward to your posts in the offseason.

First post is slightly inaccurate. The Patriots officially lost their first round pick when they clinched a playoff berth.

Pity the Dolphins. With as many as three franchise QBs in the draft, it may be hard to get a bidding war for the #1 overall, and while they could still use one, the Dolphins have already spent more on QBs recently than virtually any other team. The best player in the draft might be McFadden, who would be a tough pick for a team that has Brown, Ricky and Chatman to make. And the agent for their second rounder will try to argue that he should be slotted as the last pick in the first round, instead of the first pick in the second, since the Patriots lost their first.

Thanks nerangers. Always look forward to your posts in the offseason. First post is slightly inaccurate. The Patriots officially lost their first round pick when they clinched a playoff berth.
Agreed...that was a ooops on the cut and paste from NFL.com. That seventh pick is looking nice though. Thinking ILB James Laurinaitis from what I read on the different Rookie Mock draft boards.

I would love to see my Rams trade the #2 overall pick to Dallas for their (2) #1's and probably a #3 this year and a #2 next year. The Rams need multiple players to add depth. They don't need a standout player taken early in the draft. I think Dallas would be a good partner cause they have made it very known that they would be extremely happy to have a chance to get McFadden. With those picks the Rams could take a safety, linebacker and 2 olinemen in the first 66 picks. Depth is definetly what the Rams need this offseason. They could be a huge surprise team for next year.

Perfect draft scenario

22. Kenny Phillips (Miami) I know he probably would fall but this D needs a hitter in the secondary

31. Dan Connor (Penn State) see above....they also need a leader with a big heart

33. Jeff Otah (Pitt) Depth on the oline is a must

66. Tony Hills (Texas) Big Man with upside...again need depth on the oline this draft

Sorry to ramble and they probably won't even make the trade just talking outloud.

I'd love to see it

The Pats had traded Pick #28 to SF last year for a fourth round pick in 2007 and 1st round pick in 2008. The fourth round pick in 2007 was traded for...drum roll please...Randy Moss!

So if the Raiders were to win the coin flip and get the #3 pick...what are the chances they take McFadden?

I personally see the Raiders taking McFadden if they win the toss .. i was just thinking that this morning

I personally see the Raiders taking McFadden if they win the toss .. i was just thinking that this morning
Yeah let Fargas walk, cut Jordan and roll with McFadden/Bush/Rhodes at RB and J Russ running the show. Would be nice to see this offense get some playmakers finally. That is obviously if they win the toss. If they lose it I think it is a foregone conclusion that Atlanta would take McFadden...

I tell you what I love seeing, the Browns 1st round pick being as late as it is. You know the Cowboys thought they were gonna get a top 5 pick after that trade for Brady Quinn last year. I remember several cowboy fans on these boards talking about it. :thumbup:

I ####### knew Philly would be 1st out. Every game Lurie/Reid won after being eliminated saved them 500k per draft slot. Fn greedy bastards.

nerangers said:
bostonfred said:
Thanks nerangers. Always look forward to your posts in the offseason. First post is slightly inaccurate. The Patriots officially lost their first round pick when they clinched a playoff berth.
Agreed...that was a ooops on the cut and paste from NFL.com. That seventh pick is looking nice though. Thinking ILB James Laurinaitis from what I read on the different Rookie Mock draft boards.
Just because a third party mock draft says a team will take a player isn't real good information on who a team is looking at... not sure if you were saying that you were thinking of that LB or if NE is thinking of him based off of what you read on mock drafts. If you're taking the mock draft as advice who a team will take, you're better of throwing darts at a list of names on a wall- last year typical mock drafts were right 4/32 picksHowever, defensive help does make sense for NE with no holes on offense and an aging defenseTo change subject- GB late first round is perfect. I can see them taking a CB (Harris and Woodson are old and our nickleback Bush can't cover for anything- see DAL vs GB... I think he gave up 2 TDs, or at least a TD and a big play) or going after TE... offensively we definately lack a solid TE presence. Perhaps even Safety, even though Bigby is starting to win over fans the last few weeks with all his picks. CB seems the most logical round 1 for GB fans... however Ted Thompson is anything but logical when it comes to his draft choices- but then again he's done an amazing job with the mess Sherman left, so whatever he decides I'll back! Just all GB fans out there- don't be surprised if he takes a DE or OT round 1 instead of filling the obvious need at CB :)

That's a good point. The Browns didn't make the playoffs. Shouldn't they be picking 20th?
Yes, swap Cleveland with Tampa Bay for now.
The draft order runs exclusively by regular season record except for the 2 teams that make the Super Bowl getting the last 2 spots. Teams that do not make the playoffs automatically "win" the tiebreak against teams that made the playoffs. But they do not move ahead of a worse record "bucket" just because they didn't make the playoffs.So assuming neither Tampa Bay nor Washington makes the Super Bowl, those two teams will pick 20 and 21 via their 9-7 record. Cleveland would pick 22 via their 10-6 record and being the only 10-6 team to not make the playoffs, giving them priority over all the other 10-6 teams.If one of the Bucs or Skins does make the Super Bowl, then the Cleveland pick would move up to 21.

That's a good point. The Browns didn't make the playoffs. Shouldn't they be picking 20th?
The draft order runs exclusively by regular season record except for the 2 teams that make the Super Bowl getting the last 2 spots. Teams that do not make the playoffs automatically "win" the tiebreak against teams that made the playoffs. But they do not move ahead of a worse record "bucket" just because they didn't make the playoffs.So assuming neither Tampa Bay nor Washington makes the Super Bowl, those two teams will pick 20 and 21 via their 9-7 record. Cleveland would pick 22 via their 10-6 record and being the only 10-6 team to not make the playoffs, giving them priority over all the other 10-6 teams.If one of the Bucs or Skins does make the Super Bowl, then the Cleveland pick would move up to 21.
Thanks Greg. That's pretty interesting, even if it is a total bull#### rule. It seems like it screws the best team in the better conference.

Thanks Greg. That's pretty interesting, even if it is a total bull#### rule. It seems like it screws the best team in the better conference.
I see what you mean... though I'd probably say the better team not making the playoffs is where the problem lies, rather than that the better team still drafts behind the worse team. Not that I'm advocating changing who goes to the playoffs, but that's the downside to the system in place.

Just because a third party mock draft says a team will take a player isn't real good information on who a team is looking at... not sure if you were saying that you were thinking of that LB or if NE is thinking of him based off of what you read on mock drafts. If you're taking the mock draft as advice who a team will take, you're better of throwing darts at a list of names on a wall- last year typical mock drafts were right 4/32 picks
I meant based on the information I have seen on different Mock sites, I personally think ILB James Laurinaitis would be a good fit for the Patriots based on what I have read about him. He fits a growing need for the Patriots. Since I don't rank college players myself, I use these sites to get information from. I understand that just because a site posts an opinion, that it is not the opinion of the team. How many sites had the Patriots taking Brian Leonard in last years draft? Besides, no one seems to know what BB or Pioli will do at a draft. :yes: But they do it oh so well!

nerangers said:
bostonfred said:
Just because a third party mock draft says a team will take a player isn't real good information on who a team is looking at... not sure if you were saying that you were thinking of that LB or if NE is thinking of him based off of what you read on mock drafts. If you're taking the mock draft as advice who a team will take, you're better of throwing darts at a list of names on a wall- last year typical mock drafts were right 4/32 picksHowever, defensive help does make sense for NE with no holes on offense and an aging defense
The Patriots could really use some youth at inside linebacker and will likely need a corner to replace Samuel if he leaves in the offseason. They haven't taken a linebacker with a first round pick since Andy Katzenmoyer, choosing instead to build through free agency and/or develop late round talent. Unfortunately, Seau will be 39 before the Superbowl, Bruschis' 34, Vrabel's 32, and Colvin and Thomas are 30. It'd be nice to see an infusion of youth. People try to use past history to predict what the Pats will do each year, but it doesn't work - their approach is simply to get good players who are a fit for the team, so predicting what they will do would mean you had to know who they thought was good. It would be nice if they could keep the offense intact, keep Samuel, and draft the best linebacker prospect out there, but I don't know their cap situation well enough to know if that's even possible. I would expect that they'd look around for veteran linebackers this offseason, though, because they have to be losing Seau, and they found out this year that they don't have any depth after their top five.

I'd like to thank the Bears for winning that game on Sunday and setting the Saints up with the 10th pick.

AFC has 9 of the first 12 picks. No wonder the AFC is so dominant.

The #29 pick the Packers have is a nice spot for another reason than what was mentioned before. For some reason the end of the 1st round is a trading paradise. Every year when players begin sliding those teams in the top 10 of the 2nd round start licking their chops.

Thompson, here's your chance to redeem yourself from getting that extra #1 from Cleveland last year.

Though in this case, it really just screws Dallas.

This could certainly happen (Raiders take McFadden). As a rabid Raider fan, I believe the wiser move would be to trade this pick to Dallas for a bushel of picks. Jerry Jones already tipped his hand by drooling over McFadden, and his Arkansas ties already had teams suspecting that he'd be very much interested him. With that being the case, I could see the Raiders or the Rams @ #2 gouging the Cowboys for both 1st Rders, a #3, and a #4 or #5 this year, and a #1 and #2 or #3 next year. That's 3 #1s and two additional Top 96 picks plus a later pick for 1 player.As much as I like McFadden, give me depth like this any day of the week for 1 player.......besides, a guy like Stewart or Mendenhall could possibly still be available to the Raiders at #20 or even super-speedy Slaton in the 2nd to pair with Bush. The key will be if the Raiders truly believe in Bush as the real deal and if he's healthy, which would allow them to bypass McFadden and fill some of their other glaring holes like DL, speedy WR, and OL depth. This is the perfect year for a team to make another team pay a steep price to move up, Dallas with few glaring needs and two 1st Rders AND an owner in love with a player, and the Dolphins/Raiders/Rams/Falcons all needing depth in a fairly deep draft.

Though in this case, it really just screws Dallas.
Which is always a good thing.19-10!

* -- Subject to playoffs

** -- Lost first round pick (figured some of you would love seeing a few asteriks next to the Patriots name! lol)
I can't understand why Goodell didn't make the Patriots give up the higher of their two draft picks.

* -- Subject to playoffs

I can't understand why Goodell didn't make the Patriots give up the higher of their two draft picks.
He wasn't trying to take away a top 20ish pick. If they didn't make the playoffs they'd have lost a 2nd and 3rd, not the 1st. If he wanted them to lose a higher pick he'd not have had that stipulation in there.

21 Washington Redskins *

23 Seattle Seahawks *

24 Pittsburgh Steelers *

25 Tennessee Titans *

26 New York Giants *

Do the first round playoff eliminations have any definitive bearing on picks 20-26?

I'd imagine 20 & 21 are decided, but am not sure about that group of 10-6 teams.

Do we have to wait until all the 10-6 teams are eliminated for that to be set?

* -- Subject to playoffs

I think its because technically that's San Frans pick. The Patriots acquired it but that would almost be like punishing them by changing the trade around then punishing them by taking away their pick. They gave up their first last year for the 2008 pick and while it worked out well for them it would be wrong of the nfl to basically tell them they gave up their first last year for nothing. I could see where they may have found grounds to do it but to wipe san frans pick off the books and have the Patriots keep the 32 would be odd to me. Maybe they also thought the crime wasn't worth the stipulation that they give up the higher pick.

21 Washington Redskins *

23 Seattle Seahawks *

24 Pittsburgh Steelers *

25 Tennessee Titans *

26 New York Giants *

Do the first round playoff eliminations have any definitive bearing on picks 20-26?

I'd imagine 20 & 21 are decided, but am not sure about that group of 10-6 teams.

Do we have to wait until all the 10-6 teams are eliminated for that to be set?
The only way that playoff finish affects the draft order is that the 2 Super Bowl teams pick 32 and 31st. So what "changed" in draft order is that some teams (like the 10-6) teams can no longer slide up since both 9-7 teams won't make the SB now. Bucs and Skins are now locked into 20 and 21. Cleveland's pick is now locked into 22. 23 is technically still up in the air in that Seattle could make the Super bowl and drop down... but if they don't, they get 23, etc.

* -- Subject to playoffs

I think its because technically that's San Frans pick. The Patriots acquired it but that would almost be like punishing them by changing the trade around then punishing them by taking away their pick. They gave up their first last year for the 2008 pick and while it worked out well for them it would be wrong of the nfl to basically tell them they gave up their first last year for nothing. I could see where they may have found grounds to do it but to wipe san frans pick off the books and have the Patriots keep the 32 would be odd to me. Maybe they also thought the crime wasn't worth the stipulation that they give up the higher pick.
Well, he didn't set it to the higher of the two picks because the most he wanted to punish them was about a 1.20 pick, and the least about a 1.32. Remember what the punishment was set to be:
Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up its first-round draft choice next year if it reaches the playoffs this season, or its second- and third-round picks if it misses the postseason.
If he thought the punishment warranted losing more than a 1.20 he wouldn't have made that the approximate limit. So saying "why didn't he make them lose the higher of the two picks" isn't really any different than a generic "Why didn't he fine them more than he did?" He didn't fine them more because he felt what he set was an appropriate range of punishment for what they did.

Users who are viewing this thread