What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2012 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread*** (4 Viewers)

2 decent to good moves to start the off season.

1. OL coach Hudson Houck retires. Great guy, huge part of those 90's SB years. He was also very instrumental (from what I understand) in drafting Smith. He will be replaced by Bill Callahan OL coach of the Jets and former head coach of the Raiders. I remember him for his famous press conference quote "We have got to be the dumbest team in America" about the Raiders and taking penalties.

2. The muppett named Dave Campo who has done so little with so much over his years was not renewed. Rob Ryan is bringing in Jerome Harrison from Cleveland. He also worked with Revis and the Jets. I don't honestly know much about him, however anyone who knows what Ryan is asking for is a step in right direction.

Also, there are reports that the coaching staff is considering moving Rat to DE. Something some of us having been calling for the last 18 months. Not a done deal, but they are kicking the tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if they can just get a new CB and some D-line upgrades for Rob Ryan's blitz crazy defense...getting rid of Campo was a must. He was possibly the worst head coach in the history of the NFL, a definite JJ puppet.

First moves of the off season should be to cut Brookings and Newman, for the fan's sake. Those two were absolutely brutal.

I really hope they are able to keep Laurent Robinson around long term. He was definitely a huge piece, especially since Austin and Dez always seem to be dinged up. And speaking of Dez, can we please keep someone on the roster to return kicks and keep Dez far, far away from kick returning. Not doubting his talent, just his ability to stay healthy.

Should be an exciting off season. :popcorn:

I like the new coach hires too. The organization is better for it.

Now to upgrade the talent these guys have to work with....

Garrett is fine. He made a few blunders this season but this was his 1st year as a full-time HC, so I will cut him a slight break. I still really think he will mold this team into a tough team with the right attitude...but it does take time.* Draft picks need to be spent on defense. I would love to see one of the top CB's drafted. 1/2/3 rounds all dedicated to defense. This is our weak link on this team. Offense okay, just need some upgrade on interior Oline but I think that can be handled some in FA.* Carl Nicks from NO is available at G. From the sounds of things NO can't afford to keep him. He's one of the top OG in the league. I'd like to see Dallas at least take a shot at him. Ben Grubbs is another pretty solid OG that is available, but I think BAL resigns him. Never know though.* Laron Landry, Michael Griffin, Tyvon Branch all available at safety. Any of those 3 could start over what we have. Would absolutely love to steal Landry from Washington.* Brent Grimes, Carlos Rogers, Cortland Finnegan at CB. Need to get either one of the Safeties above or a CB. If not I will be disappointed. Would love to have 2 players off of these 2 lists.* FA's on the Dline we could go after are NT Antonio Garay from SD, DE Calais Campbell from AZ, or NT Sione Pouha from NYJ. I'd really like to get a big beefy NT and move Ratliff to DE.* Get rid of Newman. Don't resign Brooking, Bradie James, Mary Bennett. Resign Spencer only at the right price, he's not that good but he's good enough at a decent price. He will probably get paid somewhere else though.* Resign Laurent Robinson, hope he didnt earn himself a big payday as a starter somewhere. Abe Elam, Tony Fiammetta, and Mat McBriar also need resigned.I'm not real sure what our cap looks like. Anyone have the early figures?
(Rotoworld) ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer suggests that the Cowboys may make a run at free agent LG Carl Nicks this offseason. Analysis: Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has a history of spending big on guards (Leonard Davis, Kyle Kosier, Marco Rivera), and new Dallas OL coach Bill Callahan was Nebraska's head coach when Nicks was a Cornhusker. Nicks turns 27 in May. He was a second-team All-Pro selection in 2010 and first-team All-Pro in 2011.Love that Callahan has ties with him. Maybe he can help lure him in Dallas. He is on my wish-list for this offseason.

Nicks would be a wet dream.
This is one signing that has to happen.
No way New Orleans lets this guy walk: They could easily franchise him.Callahan and Nicks have a history together at Nebraska. Callahan suspended Nicks. I know that Nicks has publicly said he was stupid back then and holds no ill will towards Callahan. No one wants him more then me, sadly though, I don't see it going down.

Worst season I remember as a 30+ year fan. Roller coaster tease ride from start to finish.A few topics:Garrett: I am willing to give him 1 more yearHowever, he needs an OC (norv turner is fine with me)Draft/Free Agents:Center and a guard.2 corners1 safety1 OLB to replace Spencer who will not be back.IdentityBuild around DeMarco Murray and a power run game.Get some nasty on defense.I'm ok with Ryan not returning.Not returning:Spencer- FANewman-shot and thrown from the plane ride homeBrooking-sent to retirement homeBennett-Trade or cutOne of Sensy or Elam-Likely Sensy.Defense:I keep saying this but....get rid of the 3-4. Ware is fine at DE, Rat would be a great gap penetrating DT.We have servicable other DT's.Lee plays MLB.Special TeamsNew coach.This needs to be a focusWhy can we never field a decent ST unit.Coaching Campo-firedGarrett-hired awayRyan-tbdHouck-RetiresI just want to see some nasty on defense and some identity on offense.Pick 14 should land us a player.
1989 was absolutely the worst season I ever suffered thru as a Cowboy fan.......that 1-15 season was obviously needed to lay the foundation for what was to come. But at the time future success wasn't a given......

Interesting...

The Dallas Cowboys officially announced the hiring of assistant coaches Bill Callahan and Jerome Henderson, and the official press release came with a mild surprise. Callahan's title will be offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. We knew he was coming in to coach the offensive line (and Henderson to coach defensive backs), but "offensive coordinator" is a title that current Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett has held since 2007 and kept this past year even after moving into the big job.

There was much discussion toward the end of this season, as questionable in-game decisions mounted, about whether Garrett could or should be asked to continue handling his play-calling responsibilities as offensive coordinator along with the considerable responsibilities of the head coach. So the fact that Callahan gets the coordinator title is an eyebrow-raiser. Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com reported via Twitter than Garrett would keep his play-calling duties, but that's not addressed (as one would not expect it to be) in the 101-word press release the team sent out Thursday.

It's entirely possible that Garrett will see no change in his actual duties, and that coordinator was a title the Cowboys needed to give Callahan to entice him to join their coaching staff. (There were rumors, after all, that the Jets were hoping to keep him and promote him to coordinator.) But given the concerns about Garrett that cropped up toward the end of the year, it will be interesting to see what adjustments, if any, are made to the way the offense runs next year. Again, may turn out to be nothing, but worth keeping an eye on

Interesting...The Dallas Cowboys officially announced the hiring of assistant coaches Bill Callahan and Jerome Henderson, and the official press release came with a mild surprise. Callahan's title will be offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. We knew he was coming in to coach the offensive line (and Henderson to coach defensive backs), but "offensive coordinator" is a title that current Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett has held since 2007 and kept this past year even after moving into the big job. There was much discussion toward the end of this season, as questionable in-game decisions mounted, about whether Garrett could or should be asked to continue handling his play-calling responsibilities as offensive coordinator along with the considerable responsibilities of the head coach. So the fact that Callahan gets the coordinator title is an eyebrow-raiser. Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com reported via Twitter than Garrett would keep his play-calling duties, but that's not addressed (as one would not expect it to be) in the 101-word press release the team sent out Thursday. It's entirely possible that Garrett will see no change in his actual duties, and that coordinator was a title the Cowboys needed to give Callahan to entice him to join their coaching staff. (There were rumors, after all, that the Jets were hoping to keep him and promote him to coordinator.) But given the concerns about Garrett that cropped up toward the end of the year, it will be interesting to see what adjustments, if any, are made to the way the offense runs next year. Again, may turn out to be nothing, but worth keeping an eye on
I think this is a nice hire. Not flashy but a solid hire. A guy with a ton of experience, even head coaching experience. I like Rob Ryan getting one of "his guys" to run his secondary.

I've wondered about the Callahan OC title as well. About the politics on the existing guys there. Jimmy Robinson is the WR coach and Assistant HC. what does he think about someone else being HC? Or Skip Peete, the RB coach. Think he's happy someone jumped over him for that title?

Well anyway, we'll find out more once next season starts.

Interesting...The Dallas Cowboys officially announced the hiring of assistant coaches Bill Callahan and Jerome Henderson, and the official press release came with a mild surprise. Callahan's title will be offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. We knew he was coming in to coach the offensive line (and Henderson to coach defensive backs), but "offensive coordinator" is a title that current Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett has held since 2007 and kept this past year even after moving into the big job. There was much discussion toward the end of this season, as questionable in-game decisions mounted, about whether Garrett could or should be asked to continue handling his play-calling responsibilities as offensive coordinator along with the considerable responsibilities of the head coach. So the fact that Callahan gets the coordinator title is an eyebrow-raiser. Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com reported via Twitter than Garrett would keep his play-calling duties, but that's not addressed (as one would not expect it to be) in the 101-word press release the team sent out Thursday. It's entirely possible that Garrett will see no change in his actual duties, and that coordinator was a title the Cowboys needed to give Callahan to entice him to join their coaching staff. (There were rumors, after all, that the Jets were hoping to keep him and promote him to coordinator.) But given the concerns about Garrett that cropped up toward the end of the year, it will be interesting to see what adjustments, if any, are made to the way the offense runs next year. Again, may turn out to be nothing, but worth keeping an eye on
I think the biggest mistake that offensive coordinators who become head coaches make is continuing to call the plays and running the offense. I think at key points in the game, you need the head coach to be thinking about the big picture of what's going on and not what play to call next. You can point to the first Giants game as an example where Garrett might have called time out or not had to ice his kicker, if he had been acting truly as head coach and not as head coach/OC. I have seen this in Houston to with Kubiak. He gets so wrapped up in what the offense is doing that he tends to neglect input into the defense and special teams, or he has clock management problems because he is focused on play calling.Coaches like Parcells, Cowher, Tomlin, Coughlin, and Belicheck are true head coachs in that they manage the whole team, and not just one side of the ball. The only coach I can think of who was really wrapped up in the offense who was very successful was Bill Walsh, and he had a George Seifert to rely on to run the defense.To be successful, Garrett has to realize he is in charge of more than just the offense. If he is truly turning over OC to someone else, that is a good first step.

I've been running this through my head, and the more I think of it possibly happening I am coming to like it.

I have looked back at when we passed on Steven Jackson to trade down and select Julius Jones as a huge mistake, I'm sure we all have including Jerry. This draft has one of the more "sure thing" workhorse RB's in Richardson, and rumor has him dropping around our pick. I don't think I'd be terribly upset if we take him. Felix has been injury prone and his contract is up after next season. Maybe get something for him this offseason. Murray looked good in very limited play, so really the jury is still out on him a bit...plus he's injury prone as well.

Sure, we have other pressing needs. But we saw what this offense can do with a solid running game. Richardson would complete that package, and with GB/NO/NE all having top offenses and bad defenses Jerry Jones could follow suit. NFL is a copycat league. I could see it happening, and don't think I'd mind it one bit.

(KFFL) Dallas Cowboys impending free-agent WR Laurent Robinson said he wants to re-sign with the team this offseason and is not worried about where he would be in the depth chart because he feels like the Cowboys are a good fit for him. He said the team has expressed interest in bringing him back.
:thumbup:

I've been running this through my head, and the more I think of it possibly happening I am coming to like it.I have looked back at when we passed on Steven Jackson to trade down and select Julius Jones as a huge mistake, I'm sure we all have including Jerry. This draft has one of the more "sure thing" workhorse RB's in Richardson, and rumor has him dropping around our pick. I don't think I'd be terribly upset if we take him. Felix has been injury prone and his contract is up after next season. Maybe get something for him this offseason. Murray looked good in very limited play, so really the jury is still out on him a bit...plus he's injury prone as well. Sure, we have other pressing needs. But we saw what this offense can do with a solid running game. Richardson would complete that package, and with GB/NO/NE all having top offenses and bad defenses Jerry Jones could follow suit. NFL is a copycat league. I could see it happening, and don't think I'd mind it one bit.
Seems to me that a big part of the reason GB/NO/NE have really good offenses is that the QB has time to throw. We saw what happened to GB when Rodgers didnt when they visited KC with their OL in shambles. Or NE losing the SB to the Giants when Brady was consistently swarmed. Further, the Colts have been Super Bowl contenders with the worst running game in the NFL. Not to mention that GB is using a collection of UDFAs and the like at RB.If we want to go for a sure thing in the draft, go OL. Either DeCastro or Konz. Then we might be able to improve both the running and passing.Sorry. I just don't see how Richardson works in any way, shape, or form.

(KFFL) Dallas Cowboys impending free-agent WR Laurent Robinson said he wants to re-sign with the team this offseason and is not worried about where he would be in the depth chart because he feels like the Cowboys are a good fit for him. He said the team has expressed interest in bringing him back.
:thumbup:
Yeah, I agree. I love the guy. Had some tough breaks but he is a better Miles Austin than Miles Austin was this year. That is such a tough group to cover with Austin, Bryant, Witten and Robinson...and with a healthy Murray coming out of the backfield...just need a couple of OG's. :popcorn:

I've been running this through my head, and the more I think of it possibly happening I am coming to like it.I have looked back at when we passed on Steven Jackson to trade down and select Julius Jones as a huge mistake, I'm sure we all have including Jerry. This draft has one of the more "sure thing" workhorse RB's in Richardson, and rumor has him dropping around our pick. I don't think I'd be terribly upset if we take him. Felix has been injury prone and his contract is up after next season. Maybe get something for him this offseason. Murray looked good in very limited play, so really the jury is still out on him a bit...plus he's injury prone as well. Sure, we have other pressing needs. But we saw what this offense can do with a solid running game. Richardson would complete that package, and with GB/NO/NE all having top offenses and bad defenses Jerry Jones could follow suit. NFL is a copycat league. I could see it happening, and don't think I'd mind it one bit.
Seems to me that a big part of the reason GB/NO/NE have really good offenses is that the QB has time to throw. We saw what happened to GB when Rodgers didnt when they visited KC with their OL in shambles. Or NE losing the SB to the Giants when Brady was consistently swarmed. Further, the Colts have been Super Bowl contenders with the worst running game in the NFL. Not to mention that GB is using a collection of UDFAs and the like at RB.If we want to go for a sure thing in the draft, go OL. Either DeCastro or Konz. Then we might be able to improve both the running and passing.Sorry. I just don't see how Richardson works in any way, shape, or form.
Zero chance that this happens in my opinion. The Cowboys have Murray as the starer, Felix is the COP back, and Phillip Tanner coming off of IR as the young guy. This team has serious holes to fill, RB isnt one of them.

I'm not necessarily saying Richardson is who I want them to choose. But the thought has crossed my mind that it could happen. Jerry's approach is to take BPA in most drafts. The Vikes didn't really need ADP when they took him. I've seen much stranger picks in the NFL.

If Richardson grades out as a very rare special athlete, one that only comes out every few years, then I can see it happening. Small chance of it, sure...but a good RB can make a bad Oline look good too. Just thought I'd share what was running through my head though. Slim possibility, but was curious how other fans would feel if it were to happen. I don't think I'd be disappointed, although I'd much rather have a LB, DE, DT or most importantly a CB with that 14th pick.

I'm not necessarily saying Richardson is who I want them to choose. But the thought has crossed my mind that it could happen. Jerry's approach is to take BPA in most drafts. The Vikes didn't really need ADP when they took him. I've seen much stranger picks in the NFL.If Richardson grades out as a very rare special athlete, one that only comes out every few years, then I can see it happening. Small chance of it, sure...but a good RB can make a bad Oline look good too. Just thought I'd share what was running through my head though. Slim possibility, but was curious how other fans would feel if it were to happen. I don't think I'd be disappointed, although I'd much rather have a LB, DE, DT or most importantly a CB with that 14th pick.
If he is that impressive at the combine and in workouts, chances are, he doesnt make it to 14 anyway.

There are a lot of quality CB's available if the Cowboys have cap space starting with Brandon Carr of KC if he isn't franchised. If they can somehow retain their key FA's, add Nicks and Carr ... they can truly focus on BPA in the draft with an emphasis on pass rusher.

'DevilDog919 said:
It would be a typical Jerry pick. Please for the love of god, I hope he's figured out that he's not going to replace the triplets. Ever. He needs to build a ####### football team, not a fantasy roster. The solid running game will follow with a competent offensive line. At this point, even TR would get swallowed up with what we have on the O-Line.Their needs are no different than last year: O line and defensive help in the secondary. Get DeCastro. This is a process. Have to stop swinging for the fences.Incidentally, we made a nice start last year with a measured, smart approach. TR would be a very poor decision.

'DevilDog919 said:
It would be a typical Jerry pick. Please for the love of god, I hope he's figured out that he's not going to replace the triplets. Ever. He needs to build a ####### football team, not a fantasy roster. The solid running game will follow with a competent offensive line. At this point, even TR would get swallowed up with what we have on the O-Line.Their needs are no different than last year: O line and defensive help in the secondary. Get DeCastro. This is a process. Have to stop swinging for the fences.Incidentally, we made a nice start last year with a measured, smart approach. TR would be a very poor decision.
Seconded.

Worst season I remember as a 30+ year fan. Roller coaster tease ride from start to finish.A few topics:Garrett: I am willing to give him 1 more yearHowever, he needs an OC (norv turner is fine with me)Draft/Free Agents:Center and a guard.2 corners1 safety1 OLB to replace Spencer who will not be back.IdentityBuild around DeMarco Murray and a power run game.Get some nasty on defense.I'm ok with Ryan not returning.Not returning:Spencer- FANewman-shot and thrown from the plane ride homeBrooking-sent to retirement homeBennett-Trade or cutOne of Sensy or Elam-Likely Sensy.Defense:I keep saying this but....get rid of the 3-4. Ware is fine at DE, Rat would be a great gap penetrating DT.We have servicable other DT's.Lee plays MLB.Special TeamsNew coach.This needs to be a focusWhy can we never field a decent ST unit.Coaching Campo-firedGarrett-hired awayRyan-tbdHouck-RetiresI just want to see some nasty on defense and some identity on offense.Pick 14 should land us a player.
1989 was absolutely the worst season I ever suffered thru as a Cowboy fan.......that 1-15 season was obviously needed to lay the foundation for what was to come. But at the time future success wasn't a given......
I enjoyed that season more then any of the past four or five. Pulling every trick in the book to pull off the Redskins win and preventing them from going undefeated was a magical game I will never forget, and certainly more memorable then the many, many letdowns of the past few years.

Per PFT

Report: Carl Nicks “expected to leave” New Orleans in free agency

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 15, 2012, 11:44 AM EST

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees is lifted by guard Carl Nicks in New Orleans Reuters

Drew Brees is a free agent, but we know he’s not going anywhere this offseason.

So the Saints essentially have two options. They can strike a deal quickly with Brees or they can place the franchise tag on him to retain his rights while continuing to work on a long-term deal, like the Colts did with Peyton Manning last year.

Option No. 2 includes a hidden cost. The Saints won’t have the option to use their franchise tag elsewhere, and they have at least two other great candidates.

Guard Carl Nicks and wide receiver Marques Colston are both headed for free agency. Florio has explained previously Colston won’t take a hometown discount.

Nicks will be especially difficult to keep on a long-term deal because the Saints have already paid huge money for Jahri Evans and Nicks is viewed as one of the very best guards in football. Retaining Nicks on a one-year deal would be ideal, but it won’t be possible unless Brees’ contract is worked out quickly.

Nicks is “expected to leave” town, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

This gives Brees greater leverage in negotiations, but it also puts him in a tricky spot. The Saints can’t handle their other important free agent business and build the best team around Brees until they get his contract done.
In summary, Jerry...figure this out. Draft DeCastro, too. Could be an absolutely dominating O Line, almost overnight.Defense still needs tending to, but at least we'd have 1 huge area of weakness converted into a tremendous area of strength.

Per PFT

Report: Carl Nicks “expected to leave” New Orleans in free agency

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 15, 2012, 11:44 AM EST

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees is lifted by guard Carl Nicks in New Orleans Reuters

Drew Brees is a free agent, but we know he’s not going anywhere this offseason.

So the Saints essentially have two options. They can strike a deal quickly with Brees or they can place the franchise tag on him to retain his rights while continuing to work on a long-term deal, like the Colts did with Peyton Manning last year.

Option No. 2 includes a hidden cost. The Saints won’t have the option to use their franchise tag elsewhere, and they have at least two other great candidates.

Guard Carl Nicks and wide receiver Marques Colston are both headed for free agency. Florio has explained previously Colston won’t take a hometown discount.

Nicks will be especially difficult to keep on a long-term deal because the Saints have already paid huge money for Jahri Evans and Nicks is viewed as one of the very best guards in football. Retaining Nicks on a one-year deal would be ideal, but it won’t be possible unless Brees’ contract is worked out quickly.

Nicks is “expected to leave” town, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

This gives Brees greater leverage in negotiations, but it also puts him in a tricky spot. The Saints can’t handle their other important free agent business and build the best team around Brees until they get his contract done.
In summary, Jerry...figure this out. Draft DeCastro, too. Could be an absolutely dominating O Line, almost overnight.Defense still needs tending to, but at least we'd have 1 huge area of weakness converted into a tremendous area of strength.
If it were only this easy. JJ just doesn't see it like everyone else. See Steven Jackson 2004 or Stephen McGee 2009. I'm expecting anything but what seems logical or needed.

I enjoyed that season more then any of the past four or five. Pulling every trick in the book to pull off the Redskins win and preventing them from going undefeated was a magical game I will never forget, and certainly more memorable then the many, many letdowns of the past few years.
At least in 89 there were no expectations with a rookie QB. Last 2010/2011 were two of the most painful seasons I have ever been a part of. 2010 coming off of a playoff win and really showing some promise, only to have the team mismanaged and underachieving with a coach firing and missing the playoffs. 2011 showing some excitement with the release of Wade and the turnaround that seemed to be happening with Garrett only to have the season pissed away by two field goal blunders and an all out beat down by the Giants....not even a close comparison to me.

There are a lot of quality CB's available if the Cowboys have cap space starting with Brandon Carr of KC if he isn't franchised. If they can somehow retain their key FA's, add Nicks and Carr ... they can truly focus on BPA in the draft with an emphasis on pass rusher.
With all the WR's in the NFL, especially in Philly and NYG, grabbing a CB in FA and a CB in the draft wouldnt be a bad idea to me, buy we need to build up the "trenches." The lack of any type of pass rush puts way too much pressure on the CB we have to start with. I honestly think if we had a couple of decent pass rushers to take some pressure off of Ware, Rat and Spencer, the CB would be a lot better than they have looked. I love Jenkins and I think Scandrick has some talent but there is just too much pressure on these guys when the QB can just stand in the pocket and pick them apart. I would love to see two guards, to DE, two ILB and two CB out of this draft/Free agency. Get rid of Brookings. Get rid of Newman. Give Rob Ryan some pieces to work with and give Romo some time in the pocket. And FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, resign Laurent Robinson. Come up with some type of cap friendly deal that rewards him but doesnt kill the rest of the off season, but do not let this guy walk. He has some real chemistry with Romo and Dez is a knucklehead and Austin has some early Isaac Bruce going on. Robinson was our most reliable reciever all season long.

Some random musings:

-I have read that JG has publicly stated he would consider a switch back to the 4-3. Something I would be in favor of. Now I fully understand that almost teams run both the 3-4 and 4-3 depending on the situation. We ran the base 3-4 on only 15 percent of our plays. This has a lot to do with the league being pass happy as well. Food for thought and a total pipe dream. Imagine grabbing Mario Williams in free agency and having him and Ware as bookends. :excited: . Maybe this whole 4-3 chatter is pre-draft smokescreen.

-It appears that we have much more cap space then I thought we would have. I have heard that it could be as much as 18 million (I'll go double check that). It's interesting to debate the merits of signing 4-5 players or signing 1 or 2 big FA's. I'm still not sure which way to go.

-Team needs in order imo... O-line, CB, DE, SS/FS.

-Those penciling in Decastro at 14, better watch for 1 or 2 teams ahead of us (Cincy and Miami) scooping him. Not to mention the possibility of a team leap-frogging us to grab him.

-Jenkins just had shoulder surgery and will be in rehab for 4-6 months. This should show how hurt he really was and still played. I am willing to forgive for the previous year's lack of effort. Now let's get him some help.

-The Dez buzz is overblown but I'm getting sick of it.

I think the draft will be heavily influenced by what happens with regards to Carl Nicks. It's no secret we have a need there and that Nicks IS the answer. I still say that we are long shots to land him-but how sweet it would be.

FA's to consider (I haven't included players that I feel will be re-signed by their current team)

Carl Nicks-Pro Bowler stud. Nuff said. Gonna be hard to get him and he will get paid.

Ben Grubbs-Solid consolation prize.

Chris Myers- Houston C. Not fancy, but a prototypical Center. More of a zone blocker though.

Robert Mathis-I could really see this. An underdsized speed rusher who generates good pressure on the edge to compliment Ware.

Cortland Finnegan-Some character issues but has an intriqing swagger.

Paul Soliai-Fills our NT void and gets Rat where he belongs at 3-4 DE

Osi????

First 2 round prospects:

At 14 (I could see)

G David DeCastro does everything well with a nasty streak

DT Michael Brockers his stock is rising and he will kill the combine. Think of a more athletic JJ Watt

SS Mark Barron Value = need

CB A falling Dre Kirkpatrick likes the weed, risky pick but high end talent at a premium position

First round trade down scenarios

C Peter Konz has injury concerns but one of the best center prospects in a couple of years

CB Janoris Jenkins small ballhawk with character issues and weed history

CB Alfonzo Dennard rising up the draft mocks, interested to see his combine measurables

Round 2

C Ben Jones

OG Brandon Washington

I don't see us trading up at ALL this year based on the early boards.

I would be happy with the following:

Robinson, Fiametta, McBriar and Spencer returning.

Bring in Finnegan (Rookie CB's struggle and our window is closing). Jenkins, Finnegan and Scandrick are a solid group. An increased pass rush helps out our back end. It also explains why I don't address the safety spots.

Ben Grubbs at Guard. I still just have my doubts we get Nicks.

Paul Soliai facilitates Ratliff moving to DE to help our inconsistent pass rush

Round 1 Draft DeCastro if we are lucky enough he's still there.

Round 2 Draft Ben Jones

Oline = Smith DeCastro Jones Grubbs Free (Wow)

Front 3 = Hatcher Soliai Ratliff

LB's Spencer Carter Lee Ware

Secondary Jenkins Elam Sensy Finnegan

I will change this I'm sure after watching the combine but I was bored this morning. These are my January thoughts.

Not really news on the team, but thought I'd share.

Dallas Cowboys jerseys are all half off right now on their website. I just bought two replica jerseys for $25.00 apiece. Can't beat that deal if you need/want to load up on some jerseys.

Depending on trade up/down scenarios ahead of us, I think DeCastro will be there. If not...I'd totally "settle" for Konz. Watched a thing on him the other day, and he looks as legit as he's hyped.

Bring in Nicks or Grubbs, but please Jerry please...get one of those guys.

That's a phenom OL.

Good value/risk with CB in 2nd round.

I'll beat this :deadhorse: throughout the FA period and draft.

Depending on trade up/down scenarios ahead of us, I think DeCastro will be there. If not...I'd totally "settle" for Konz. Watched a thing on him the other day, and he looks as legit as he's hyped. Bring in Nicks or Grubbs, but please Jerry please...get one of those guys. That's a phenom OL. Good value/risk with CB in 2nd round.I'll beat this :deadhorse: throughout the FA period and draft.
I was on the Grubbs bandwagon too. I watched him very closely during the Pats playoff game. He was having trouble holding his ground and was getting pushed back into the pocket regularly. My opinion has changed on him. Options:FA NicksorRound 1-DeCastroorRound 2- One of the other top OG's - Zeitler

I really am beginning to believe that we're starting year 2 of a 3 year rebuilding cycle. Last year, we cleanout the bad salaries on the offense. I expect this year will be the defense. But further, there are so many holes to fill that I don't think they can be adequately patched in 1 offseason. So in my mind, the idea is to take the best value in FA and the draft at all of those holes which we've elaborated on ad naseum. And realize that the remainder will have to wait until next year.

Its really 2013 in my mind that we should have a legit shot. The core of Ware/Romo/Witten/Rat/Austin will still have a bit of life left. And that is really the best shot we'll have.

Long term value would be my goal this offseason. Don't reach just to fill a hole for this season.

Depending on trade up/down scenarios ahead of us, I think DeCastro will be there. If not...I'd totally "settle" for Konz. Watched a thing on him the other day, and he looks as legit as he's hyped. Bring in Nicks or Grubbs, but please Jerry please...get one of those guys. That's a phenom OL. Good value/risk with CB in 2nd round.I'll beat this :deadhorse: throughout the FA period and draft.
I was on the Grubbs bandwagon too. I watched him very closely during the Pats playoff game. He was having trouble holding his ground and was getting pushed back into the pocket regularly. My opinion has changed on him.
Interesting. Was it Wilfork? If so, I might give him a pass. Otherwise, that's not terribly encouraging to hear.

I'll be honest I was watching Grubbs so closely that I didn't really pay attention to who he was matched up against. Will try to investigate further. It didn't look good though.

A couple thoughts on Routt: I'm lukewarm on the idea of bringing him in)

-Yes 9 tds and a bunch of penalties. In his defense, Oakland runs more man to man coverage then any team in the league. Also, there pass rush isn't exactly a strength.

-He was very highly ranked on db metrics 2 years ago.

-He has played for Ryan and knows the system.

-Good size and elite speed

It all comes down to $$$$ for me.

From another Cowboys board who has NFL connections:

-He claims that the Panthers love Decastro. He is likely gone 14.

-He wouldn't be surprised if Brooking was back as a back up.

-Jags in hot pursuit of Robinson

-He expects possibly 4 QB's battling for the backup spot. Team is not sold on McGee. Talk of McNabb...

-Expect the Cowboys to talk to FA corners Tracy Porter and Bryant McFadden.

-Dallas will be looking at LB's in FA as well as having ALL scouts watch the LB's combine. Team is watching the Nevada duo of Michael Johnson and Brett Roy.

-Complete switch to a 4-3 highly unlikely, but will start using more 4 man fronts.

Baltimore is not going to resign Ben Grubbs and he will hit the market.

-Saints will sign one of Colston or Nicks, not both.

-Prefers Jenkins over Kirkpatrick by quite a bit.

I copied this part of the post:

-If your hearing the rumors about CB Janoris Jenkins and interest from the Dallas Cowboys but don't buy it based on his character issues then you need to put it aside.........for now. Garrett and Jerry have brought a new approach to dealing with character issues and prospects and from what I'm told it played out when Dez was drafted. Up until the final board and ranking are decided the Cowboys take the approach that each player has a Sparkling clean background. This allows them to grade each player only based on their productivity and workout's. Once the process is complete they slide the player around or remove them all together based on their preset point system attached to each concern. This also apply's to injuries. I'm told that prior to the final adjustments on the board in 2010 Dez Bryant and Sean Lee were both given top 10 scores on the Cowboys board. This also lets you know that any reports that the Cowboys removed this player or that player from their board anytime before late April is simply anticipation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just sharing what I saw. He is a very well respected posted with a track record of some inside tidbits.

I always laugh when people make a bucket list for the offseason and it includes messing around with the backup qb. Really?

I always laugh when people make a bucket list for the offseason and it includes messing around with the backup qb. Really?
He didn't make a "bucket list", he posted on what he is hearing from sources he knows throughout the league. I didn't post his whole thing as some was not even Cowboy related. Again, feel free to take with a grain of salt, but it would be just as foolish to totally disregard ALL of it too.Besides...what's so great about McGee. Help me understand?

He didn't make a "bucket list", he posted on what he is hearing from sources he knows throughout the league. I didn't post his whole thing as some was not even Cowboy related. Again, feel free to take with a grain of salt, but it would be just as foolish to totally disregard ALL of it too.Besides...what's so great about McGee. Help me understand?
Zero chance the Cowboys DONT bring in a veteran QB. McGee has some promise but that guy isnt ready to take this team to the playoffs. I am not 100% sold he will ever materialize to anything more than a decent backup. I dont see him as the QB of the future either.

Did anyone post all of Dallas' picks for the upcoming draft? I'm striking out in my searches to find a round by round list. Thanks.

Did anyone post all of Dallas' picks for the upcoming draft? I'm striking out in my searches to find a round by round list. Thanks.
1.14, 2.13, 3.19, 4.18, 5.17, 6.16, 7.15 Plus compensatory picks-I think we are in line for an additional 6th.

Great tidbits. Thanks for sharing. A couple of my thoughts...

I totally see this, and he would be a great fit. But, I just can't see them passing on defense, which is such a high area of need for them. If I were a Panthers fan, I'd want them to secure Kirkpatrick, Coples, or Ingram.

I'm fine with this. He is still a great locker room guy. Skills no longer hugely effective, but still could contribute 10-15 snaps/game.

Sadly, he's as good as gone. Will be overpaid, so good for him. But, after last year, we can't afford him.

-He expects possibly 4 QB's battling for the backup spot. Team is not sold on McGee. Talk of McNabb...

Not McNabb, please.

Oof. Porter? McFadden? Ouch. Complete disasters in coverage, if you ask me. Would much prefer (certainly) Carr, or Finnegan, or the next tier guys in Middleton, Marshall, etc

As noted before, really hope that Brees deal doesn't get done by March 13, and the Saints slap the FT on him and not Nicks. Remote chance, still, but would like that chance. Although, at 7 years, $58 million or whatever it will take to sign Nicks, I'm not sure if Grubbs isn't the better value.

I don't. Talent's there for Jenkins, but he's not worth the headache.

Great tidbits. Thanks for sharing. A couple of my thoughts...

I totally see this, and he would be a great fit. But, I just can't see them passing on defense, which is such a high area of need for them. If I were a Panthers fan, I'd want them to secure Kirkpatrick, Coples, or Ingram.

I'm fine with this. He is still a great locker room guy. Skills no longer hugely effective, but still could contribute 10-15 snaps/game.

Sadly, he's as good as gone. Will be overpaid, so good for him. But, after last year, we can't afford him.

Not McNabb, please.

Oof. Porter? McFadden? Ouch. Complete disasters in coverage, if you ask me. Would much prefer (certainly) Carr, or Finnegan, or the next tier guys in Middleton, Marshall, etc

As noted before, really hope that Brees deal doesn't get done by March 13, and the Saints slap the FT on him and not Nicks. Remote chance, still, but would like that chance. Although, at 7 years, $58 million or whatever it will take to sign Nicks, I'm not sure if Grubbs isn't the better value.

I don't. Talent's there for Jenkins, but he's not worth the headache.
-Agree on McNabb. I would be ill.-More and more I think Jenkins is smokescreen.

-Too much money for Nicks and while Grubbs is solid, I dont want him either.

That list seemed to be a bullet point sheet discussing current cowboy events. The other players I assumed were mentioned as a way of addressing players the Cowboys otherwise were interested in.I just giggle when people tinker with the backup QB as if this team is so talented you have to have a contingency plan in place to save the season from a Romo injury.

Users who are viewing this thread