What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2012 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Don't post in here much, but this quote from Jerry stood out. His perception of reality is so far off. Until that changes with a new GM, luck will be the only way to get to the SB. Owners need to dream like this and the GM needs to live in reality/make it happen.

Even if they stand pat, the Dallas Cowboys could field a championship-caliber team next season, owner Jerry Jones said Friday. "We have a team that can compete for the Super Bowl," he said. "I thought the team last year had the talent to compete for the Super Bowl. I believe that. And we fell short of not competing for a Super Bowl by letting the Giants come back at Cowboys Stadium."

DeCastro and Cordy Glenn were very impressive.

After hearing about Janoris Jenkins PC...I hope he his taken off our board.

Brockers with some eye popping measurables too.

I'm becoming more open to the idea up taking Upshall.

I want Ben Jones in the 2nd round.

There are a lot of quality CB's available if the Cowboys have cap space starting with Brandon Carr of KC if he isn't franchised. If they can somehow retain their key FA's, add Nicks and Carr ... they can truly focus on BPA in the draft with an emphasis on pass rusher.
Interesting bit from Rotoworld ... #2 on my wishlist now linked to Dallas also!
Brandon Carr - DB - ChiefsAccording to Pro Football Weekly, the Cowboys "covet" free agent CB Brandon Carr and are expected to "go all in for him" when the market opens.Carr is a big, physical corner with experience in both man and zone schemes, and he'd be a sizable upgrade on Terence Newman at left cornerback. The Cowboys can release Newman after March 13 and "designate" him a post-June 1 cut, saving over $6 million in cap space. Carr will command a pretty penny, but the secondary was Dallas' most glaring weakness for much of last season.Related: CowboysSource: Pro Football Weekly Feb 26 - 8:49 AM

I'm trying to remember the last player the cowboys cut that I was sad to see go. This is proving quite difficult.

eta: was Matt Moore a cut, because at the time I thought it fairly foolish to let him go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another name to consider for Dallas' draft is Bruce Irvin from West Virginia. Ran a 4.43 at 245 lbs. He played the 5 technique for WVU and showed strong pass rush ability. It will be interesting to see his agility and acceleration tests. He could very well be Spencer's replacement/upgrade.

My top 5 that I like at 14:

-DeCastro

-Poe

-Kuechly

-Brockers

-Glenn

Hon. mention to Ingram.

My top 5 that I like at 14:-DeCastro-Poe-Kuechly-Brockers-GlennHon. mention to Ingram.
Dear god, Poe is a monster. I heard Billick compare him a day or two ago to Ngata. I though Billick went on the deep end of crazy there, but wholly crap. Poe's a physical beast. I wish DT were on our 1, 2, or 3 list of needs, but if DeCastro is gone, it's hard to not consider taking a disruptive/versatile beast like that.

My top 5 that I like at 14:-DeCastro-Poe-Kuechly-Brockers-GlennHon. mention to Ingram.
Dear god, Poe is a monster. I heard Billick compare him a day or two ago to Ngata. I though Billick went on the deep end of crazy there, but wholly crap. Poe's a physical beast. I wish DT were on our 1, 2, or 3 list of needs, but if DeCastro is gone, it's hard to not consider taking a disruptive/versatile beast like that.
Yup.Earler in the year I thought we would have to trade down to make a case to take this guy 24-30 range. Now, if he's there at 14 you take him. Iwouldnt even be that upset if we took him over DeCastro. Although, I have a slight preference for DeCastro and addressing the OLine.

I'm going to say No to Poe. His tape is aweful from everything I've read. He is such a high bust risk. Best case scenario is he's the next Ngata. Worst case is Dan wilkerson. No, give me the sure next Steve Hutchinson, please.

I think this draft needs to be about defense. We have a couple of young guys at G and C that played and need some time. The defense cost this team any chance at the playoffs, not the offense.

I understand the O line needs some love but the defense was a train wreck.

I'm going to say No to Poe. His tape is aweful from everything I've read. He is such a high bust risk. Best case scenario is he's the next Ngata. Worst case is Dan wilkerson. No, give me the sure next Steve Hutchinson, please.
I hear you. And, I will say that I am much more in favor of grabbing DeCastro, if available. And, honestly, I wouldn't be at all against taking Konz at that position...and he definitely should be available there.But, if DeCastro is already off the board (which is very likely), consideration of a dynamic player like Poe to beef up the interior D line would not be the worst choice. But, no doubt, he could wind up being a colossal waste, too. Hard to tell with these guys sometimes.

Who the 'boys franchising?
Spencer, almost assuredly. He won't sign a new deal before Monday, and everyone seems pretty clear that they don't want him hitting the market. So, 8.8 million to him, and then they'll work out a longer-term deal later this spring.

I hear you. And, I will say that I am much more in favor of grabbing DeCastro, if available. And, honestly, I wouldn't be at all against taking Konz at that position...and he definitely should be available there.But, if DeCastro is already off the board (which is very likely), consideration of a dynamic player like Poe to beef up the interior D line would not be the worst choice. But, no doubt, he could wind up being a colossal waste, too. Hard to tell with these guys sometimes.
I've watched some, albeit, a very small sample of Poe's play during a random game I found. -First and foremost he played on a god awful 2-10 team.-faced lots of shot gun and the QB was releasing in 2 to 2.5 seconds. Hard to fault a NT for not getting "there".-Was drawing double and on one play even a triple team.-He got a pressure.-Tackle for a loss.Overall-when putting it in context he looked pretty decent to me.Also, on DeCastro I'm coming to grips that as much as I think he is the best fit for our team at 14. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this prospect but he might not be the right pick.Would you rather go:PoeBen Jonesor DeCastroIrvinPoint being where is the depth in the draft? I think we can get a very solid guard or centre in the second. Not so sure about corner or a pass rusher.I am starting to get conflicted.

I dont care who we draft in the first round as long as we get a solid free agent veteran CB and bring back Elam. Can grab a second round guy for the DT spot. Try to keep Spencer.

:excited: Nicks hits the free agent market... wait...New Orleans has until March 16th to sign him....and now that they are probably losing their draft picks...they will have the money...

Spencer tagged, but hasnt signed it. We can rescind it as long as he doesnt sign it. SO this allows us to chase FAs and still not have to worry about his salary unless/until he signs it. And Spencer, who is seeking a long term deal, will almost certainly not sign it until late because if Dallas rescinds, he becomes a FA.

I'm beginning to think that the Boys go hard after a CB (high price) and a vet center (moderate price) in FA. Probably stay away from the major bucks of Mario or Nicks. That pushes the guard need to the draft where there is depth.

Obviously, time will tell though.

Now we get to enjoy watching Vick and RGIII run all over our defense in addition to Eli shredding it.

Great.

Better make sure those moves count this off season Uncle Jerry.

‏ @AdamSchefter

Cowboys lose $10 million in cap space, Redskins lose $36 million in space. Can split it over 2012 and 2013 any way they want. More at ESPN.

:lmao:

From everything I have read, it wont be that big of a deal. Those expecting Nicks or Williams were likely fooling themselves. We get a corner and a center...imo

'netnalp said:
Adam SchefterAnd now the 49ers also jumping in on Chiefs free-agent CB Brandon Carr.
That's nice....he just has to sign it. The deal is already done.He just landed on Jerry's jet and was met by Rob Ryan and a few others.

Various reports have Dallas meeting with Dan Connor. Still in negotiations with Fiametta. Apparently L. Robinson has promised to give Cowboys option to match any offer he receives from J-Ville. FA so far so good assuming Carr on board.

'culdeus said:
Name a bigger offseason upgrade in the last 10 years since Newman->Carr
The longer this thing drags on, the more nervous I get. It can't be a good sign, either monetarily or in terms of just breaking down completely. Just get it done.My link

The Cowboys have found their backup quarterback to Tony Romo.

The team agreed to a three-year contract Wednesday with Kyle Orton, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Orton, of course, spent the final three games of last season starting for the Chiefs after he was waived by the Broncos.

The Cowboys have invested in Orton, and this is a good move.

Big News out of Dallas! Way to go Jerry!! :bag:

C'mon guys :wall: get Carr, a guard or center and our fullback signed TODAY please!

The Cowboys got the cornerback they coveted, agreeing to a five-year contract on Wednesday with Brandon Carr.

The Cowboys have been working toward a deal with Carr since the outset of free agency after releasing Terence Newman. League sources told NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi that Carr’s deal would likely be worth more than $7 million per season.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :thumbup:

Great news, the Cowboys have been busy today in FA signings.

Fullback Lawrence Vickers, a six-year veteran who played for the Houston Texans, agreed to terms with the Cowboys, according to a source. Terms were not disclosed. Vickers played in 14 games last season as the lead blocker for Arian Foster.

Offensive lineman Mackenzy Bernadeau agreed to a deal, according to a source. The 6-4, 308-pound guard started 20 games over the past four seasons with the Carolina Panthers after being drafted in the seventh round of the 2008 draft out of Bentley College.

I'm liking the value plays we've been making in FA so far. Get the young player at a premium position to a contract that still has him at a young engouh age at the end (Carr). Sign 3 solid guys in areas of need to fill holes. I really like the Vickers and Orton signings, though I don't know the terms.

Now to see about a center and a safety. Oh, and an ILB....

I think these signings make it more likely that our 1st rounder will be either DeCastro or, more likely, a defensive front seven (DE or OLB). I know we tendered Spencer, but until he signs it, it can be rescinded. But even if he does, it doesnt preclude drafting an OLB (Ingram?) and giving him a year to develop.

Oh, the Laurent Robinson sweepstakes are up to $6mil per from what I read on twitter. We may need another 3rd WR....

Love all of the signings so far. OL depth, a true FB with experience, a Backup QB that can come in and win if needed and a stud CB.

I love that they are looking at Poole.

I hope they get the best DL available in the draft now. I agree that we could use some CB depth but grab that in the 2nd.

I wonder about WR now. Robinson is likely gone. No more Holley. Are we going to rely on the young guys and hope for the best or bring in a guy? I was thinking about Lee Evans, reminds me a little of Robinson.

Robinson officially gone now.

That sucks. Figured it would happen but I always held out hope that he would be loyal to a team that took a chance on him.

He will never see anywhere near the numbers he had here. Especially not in Jacksonville.

Robinson officially gone now. That sucks. Figured it would happen but I always held out hope that he would be loyal to a team that took a chance on him. He will never see anywhere near the numbers he had here. Especially not in Jacksonville.
This is the one of the owners #####ing about Austin's deal. Hello pot, meet kettle.

I'm liking the value plays we've been making in FA so far. Get the young player at a premium position to a contract that still has him at a young engouh age at the end (Carr). Sign 3 solid guys in areas of need to fill holes. I really like the Vickers and Orton signings, though I don't know the terms.Now to see about a center and a safety. Oh, and an ILB....I think these signings make it more likely that our 1st rounder will be either DeCastro or, more likely, a defensive front seven (DE or OLB). I know we tendered Spencer, but until he signs it, it can be rescinded. But even if he does, it doesnt preclude drafting an OLB (Ingram?) and giving him a year to develop.
Gotta agree whole heatedly. Only thing that sucks is that we had a verbal agreement just shy of eight million per on Carr, and then Cortland signs with the Rams. The Carr camp then asked for 11 million per which completely put off the Cowboys front office. This deal was very close to falling apart. Glad to see us get it done in the end. Hard to argue any of the signings, it was a good day.

Was reading on another site something that made laugh and shake my head at the same time. Asked why Orton would sign here when he could possibly get starting job elsewhere "With this offensive line he has a great chance to play".

There are a lot of quality CB's available if the Cowboys have cap space starting with Brandon Carr of KC if he isn't franchised. If they can somehow retain their key FA's, add Nicks and Carr ... they can truly focus on BPA in the draft with an emphasis on pass rusher.
Interesting bit from Rotoworld ... #2 on my wishlist now linked to Dallas also!
Brandon Carr - DB - ChiefsAccording to Pro Football Weekly, the Cowboys "covet" free agent CB Brandon Carr and are expected to "go all in for him" when the market opens.Carr is a big, physical corner with experience in both man and zone schemes, and he'd be a sizable upgrade on Terence Newman at left cornerback. The Cowboys can release Newman after March 13 and "designate" him a post-June 1 cut, saving over $6 million in cap space. Carr will command a pretty penny, but the secondary was Dallas' most glaring weakness for much of last season.Related: CowboysSource: Pro Football Weekly Feb 26 - 8:49 AM
Very happy to see my #1 guy signed and picking it so early to boot. I have to think we lost Nicks because of the salary penalty thing. Still, they're in better shape to chase BPA in the draft now. I'd say an interior OL, SF, LB, and WR all make my short list ... but a stud NT or pass rusher may be the ticket if such a player is BPA at our pick.

Jerry and his boys doing some work this offseason. I like it.

Nick Eatman ‏ @nickeatmanOG Nate Livings is in the building meeting with coaches, FS Brodney Pool has signed and left - LB Dan Connor still in building; could sign

Nick Eatman ‏ @nickeatmanOG Nate Livings is in the building meeting with coaches, FS Brodney Pool has signed and left - LB Dan Connor still in building; could sign
Continuation of the value play. Excellent.The 3rd WR spot will be interesting. I've read we have some interest in Early Doucet. I can also see us targeting a quick slot guy/returner in the 2-4th round.

Continuation of the value play. Excellent.The 3rd WR spot will be interesting. I've read we have some interest in Early Doucet. I can also see us targeting a quick slot guy/returner in the 2-4th round.
Or maybe they like Harris or Radway enough to fill the WR3 hole?

Signed ILB Dan Connor and S Brodney Pool. Another very solid day.
With these signings whats the weakest link on the defense assuming a line up ofPoolSensabaughJenkinsCarrWareSpencerLeeConnorRatliffHatcherColemanIm guessing that DE is biggest weakness but you could probably get by with that defense

At this point the defensive weakness is depth and young players to groom. They need another interior OL and 3rd WR but otherwise can certainly go BPA. I wonder if Richardson is even remotely in play after Jerry passed on SJax years ago. Probably not going to happen but the chances go up with every hole plugged in free agency.

Users who are viewing this thread