What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2012 Official Philadelphia Eagles Post Mortem Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Grubbs to the Saints. We need Mathis back.
No info there but, imo, they rolled the dice to let him visit other teams and might have lost him because of that.
McClane reported on Twitter that Mathis told him personally that the Eagles will have a chance to match any deal het gets. So we'll see.
\Either way the Eagles may have screwed the pooch. They are going to have to use more cap money to keep Mathis then they want to I think and that isn't good for getting Shady locked in for long term.

Meh. I wouldn't break the bank for Mathis when DeCastro is a legit possibility at a much, much cheaper number and 8 yrs younger. Worst case, you know you have Mudd coaching that line so there's a confidence in knowing he will put a quality LG out there.

Meh. I wouldn't break the bank for Mathis when DeCastro is a legit possibility at a much, much cheaper number and 8 yrs younger. Worst case, you know you have Mudd coaching that line so there's a confidence in knowing he will put a quality LG out there.
Agreed. Although it would suck to lose him I think Mudd is good at pointing out what lineman would be good for his scheme and this year he'll have mini-camps and a full training camp to develop them. They could still draft Kuechly and then go lineman with one of their 2nd round picks.

'Insein said:
Didn't the same thing happen with Dawkins?
What same thing?
I think he's talking about the implied offer by the Eagles to match the contract (like they failed to do in Dawkins case).However I don't see it as the same thing. As a player Dawkins was done and that was a poor contract for the Eagles to match. I think this is a different case here with Mathis as he still has some good years left.

'Insein said:
What same thing?
I think he's talking about the implied offer by the Eagles to match the contract (like they failed to do in Dawkins case).However I don't see it as the same thing. As a player Dawkins was done and that was a poor contract for the Eagles to match. I think this is a different case here with Mathis as he still has some good years left.
Am I alone in being a little hesitant on Mathis? He came out of nowhere and depending on the money I'm OK with letting him walk.

'Insein said:
What same thing?
Am I alone in being a little hesitant on Mathis? He came out of nowhere and depending on the money I'm OK with letting him walk.
I'd be more comfortable letting him walk if I had more faith in watkins. If I knew Danny boy would step in and be an instant stud this year, Mathis can take a hike if he wants too much.

'Insein said:
What same thing?
I'd be more comfortable letting him walk if I had more faith in watkins. If I knew Danny boy would step in and be an instant stud this year, Mathis can take a hike if he wants too much.
this is where I am as well.

'Insein said:
What same thing?
See above

I hope we find a way to keep Mathis, the guy plays with a lot of heart, and is a true football player - Something the Eagles need more of. Besides all that I love his Tweets on Twitter, the guy is a riot @EvanMathis69

Mathis didn't really come out of no where like someone said. He had a good year with the Bengals prior and was considered a very underrated signing by the Eagles,

Letting him go would be a big mistake. The impact it would have on shady would be huge too as I believe a good chunk of his yards came from the left side.

Not to mention there is nothing stellar or 'this year' promising at depth.

We all seen what happened early in the season last year with a line that was new, why would you want to break that up now?

Mathis didn't really come out of no where like someone said. He had a good year with the Bengals prior and was considered a very underrated signing by the Eagles, Letting him go would be a big mistake. The impact it would have on shady would be huge too as I believe a good chunk of his yards came from the left side. Not to mention there is nothing stellar or 'this year' promising at depth. We all seen what happened early in the season last year with a line that was new, why would you want to break that up now?
With the longer offseason this year, drafting a guy (like DeCastro) might be the play if Mathis want too much money.

Mathis didn't really come out of no where like someone said. He had a good year with the Bengals prior and was considered a very underrated signing by the Eagles, Letting him go would be a big mistake. The impact it would have on shady would be huge too as I believe a good chunk of his yards came from the left side. Not to mention there is nothing stellar or 'this year' promising at depth. We all seen what happened early in the season last year with a line that was new, why would you want to break that up now?
I don't know how he was rated but he is a soon to be 31 year old on his 4th team after being a 3rd round pick. I'm not sure you want to enter a bidding war with him especially when there's other OL still availible in FA.JMO, anyway.

Mathis is back in AZ today to mull his decision. Birds also offered a decent contract to "match" the Ravens offer. If it was garbage, he would have stayed in Baltimore and just signed.

Shameless plea to DH...what does you guy think about Weeden? Considering the Eagles' aren't shy to burn a high pick on an over-aged draft prospect, and with thought to your 2nd rd QB teaser, could Weeden be the mature study/quick groom as Vick's replacement next year?

Der Herm. - I would love to see the Birds make a play for M. Tolbert. King Andy has shown to like this type of player in past; Jon Ritchie, L. Weaver and has also drafted a few of the like. Does your contact have any info if he is on Birds radar? Put me on the Tolbert Train...

I saw that Carolina and Pittsburgh are the two finalists for Tolbert. And the Eagles don't run the ball enough to really justify paying whatever Tolbert's going to ask for either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evan Mathis signed to a 5 year/25 million dollar deal, 7 million guaranteed. And his tweet:

To all the Eagles fans who offered me various food and incentives to return... I've come to collect. #FLY

Evan Mathis signed to a 5 year/25 million dollar deal, 7 million guaranteed. And his tweet:To all the Eagles fans who offered me various food and incentives to return... I've come to collect. #FLY
That's good. Starting offensive line signed for the next couple of years.

Evan Mathis signed to a 5 year/25 million dollar deal, 7 million guaranteed. And his tweet:To all the Eagles fans who offered me various food and incentives to return... I've come to collect. #FLY
So far it's been a perfect offseason IMO. Returning all 5 starting OL will be huge next year. As far as I know all the FA LBers are still availible as is Landry so there's still a chance we can add one of them.

Now that Mathis is back it's about time to sign a linebacker or two. The way the market for linebackers has shaped up we should be able to get a bargain.

So far it's been a perfect offseason IMO. Returning all 5 starting OL will be huge next year. As far as I know all the FA LBers are still availible as is Landry so there's still a chance we can add one of them.
:thumbup: Agreed. Very strong start to the new season. Mathis cost us a lot less than I thought too, as he was clearly the best interior lineman left on the market.I want this Shady McCoy extension done, too, and then see what we can get in terms of veteran LB and S help. We don't need stars at those positions, just proven vets who can compete against our current crop.

If the Eagles can sign McCoy long term and walk away with Lofton or Tulloch and Landry I will be more then happy. They also need to get a Qb to groom and I wouldnt mind seeing L.Miller in round 2.

Considering the state of the market, Eagles should be able to get a great deal of help without spending a great deal of money. London Fletcher, Jim Leonhard, Plax? None of them should cost too much, but would be valuable additions.

:thumbup: Agreed. Very strong start to the new season. Mathis cost us a lot less than I thought too, as he was clearly the best interior lineman left on the market.I want this Shady McCoy extension done, too, and then see what we can get in terms of veteran LB and S help. We don't need stars at those positions, just proven vets who can compete against our current crop.
At that price it's a fantastic re-signing by the Birds.

i disagree thinking the Mathis signing was great if Winston signed for 4 for 22, would have rather had him and kicked Herremans back to LG

i disagree thinking the Mathis signing was great if Winston signed for 4 for 22, would have rather had him and kicked Herremans back to LG
Mathis graded out by PFF as THE top guard in the league last year, and we know he can play at an elite level in our existing system. While I like Winston -- a lot -- we have to remember he thrived in a zone blocking scheme that's not at all like the system Mudd runs.

What happens when Reid leaves and Mudd retires and the Eagles are sck with Kelce and Mathis who dot many systems. Unless the Eagles make a log run this year the Mathis signing could look real bad

What happens when Reid leaves and Mudd retires and the Eagles are sck with Kelce and Mathis who dot many systems. Unless the Eagles make a log run this year the Mathis signing could look real bad
If if's were a fif, we'd all be drunk. Can only go off of what is happening right now. Log run must be to keep the fireplace warm :football:

'Nagle2998 said:
What are you talking about? Mathis got a meager $7mm guaranteed, we aren't risking anything financially in keeping him. And as I mentioned earlier, he was PFTs top rated guard in the NFL last year.

I am happy that we go into this season with an o-line that is intact unlike last year. Hopefully with a full off-season and the cohesion they showed down the stretch, O-line will be the least of our worries this year.

I'm still holding out irrational hope that the reason we haven't signed a veteran LB is because they plan on jumping up to grab Kuechley. One can dream. Either way, LB and Safety have to be in the top 3 picks. Jarrett showed nothing to give him the benefit of the doubt just yet.

Eagles have any interest in Jacobs? He's certainly killed us enough over the years... would be nice to bring him in as Shady's backup, adding a much-needed short yardage option.

Eagles have any interest in Jacobs? He's certainly killed us enough over the years... would be nice to bring him in as Shady's backup, adding a much-needed short yardage option.
God I hate Jacobs. I'd have mixed feelings about him being an Eagle if it happens. He's not good enough like an emmitt smith or Troy aikman that I'd overlook the fact that I hated his guts if he now suddenly played for us.

'Donny Loved Bowling said:
Unless he wants to come here for the league minimum there just isnt a point. He'd get 1-2 carries per game and Shady seemed fine running in short yardage.

Not trying to get anyone's hopes up, but the Eagles had had some draft discussions with KC. My guess would be that they're trying to position themselves to move up to draft the LB everyone's been clamoring for as he's expected to go about there. Note that no players names were mentioned to me, I filled in the blanks here.

Anyway, just passing along what I know....

Not trying to get anyone's hopes up, but the Eagles had had some draft discussions with KC. My guess would be that they're trying to position themselves to move up to draft the LB everyone's been clamoring for as he's expected to go about there. Note that no players names were mentioned to me, I filled in the blanks here.

well that will get hopes up. LOLI expect 3 pages based on this nugget

You have my hopes up about the trade but I'd bet it won't be for a LBer. I hope I'm wrong but if they go up its for OL or DL. JMO anyway.

Philadelphia Eagles‏@EaglesReply

Retweet

Favorite

· Open

#Eagles today announced they have signed G/C Mike Gibson to a two-year contract and C/G Steve Vallos to a one-year contract.

Any knowledge about these guys? Know we need(ed) some depth. Mudd ok these two, thinks they're a good fit?

Philadelphia Eagles‏@EaglesReplyRetweetFavorite· Open#Eagles today announced they have signed G/C Mike Gibson to a two-year contract and C/G Steve Vallos to a one-year contract.Any knowledge about these guys? Know we need(ed) some depth. Mudd ok these two, thinks they're a good fit?
We drafted Gibson in 08. Backup at best. Likely camp bodies.

Kuechly at 11 sounds about right. :popcorn:

Kuechly at 11 sounds about right. :popcorn:
While I like LK, I see us trading up to snatch Poe.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for and envisioned them shooting for. The 10 spot would get said LB. The other thing that puts hope on my side is that they so screwed up the Earl Thomas thing. An all pro safety waiting right there for you when you've spent 2 seasons post Dawkins looking for one and you go for an overachieving, combine warrior in Graham. So perhaps with that mistake still glaring at them in the face, they will learn.

Users who are viewing this thread