What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2012 Official Philadelphia Eagles Post Mortem Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Contributors of the 2012 draft class so far:

Cox

Kendricks

Boykins

Foles (primary backup)

Brown (primary backup)

And many of them look very good. Pretty impressive
What has Cox done?
He's splitting a starting role with Landri. I'd call it contributing.
His next impact play will be his first. Not impressed so far.
BTW, re: Cox:
COX - Terrific game. Credited with 5 solo tackles, TFL, and PD. Tackled Rice on inside run by getting down the LOS. Only gave up a yard or so. Got the best of the RG and came free up the middle on pass play. Hit Flacco. Got cut blocked on run going to other side. Fought off the block and moved down the LOS to get in on the tackle. Broke up a 3rd Qtr pass. Was a screen and Fletch just got a hand up at the last second to deflect it. BAL ran outside to his side. Cox was fast enough to get over and get a hand on Rice. Didn’t make the play, but slowed him and pursuit was able to make the stop. Got a TFL to start the 4th Qtr, but it was a gift. Landri blew up a run and Fletch went and fell on the RB. Drove the RG back on run play and helped to clog the backfield. Drew a holding call in the early 4th when he split the RG and C. Birk grabbed him and drew the flag. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with Fletch. Looks like a stud DT in the making.
THE EAGLES LOST their best defensive tackle to brain surgery.

Fletcher Cox has made that loss less painful.

Without veteran starter Mike Patterson, whose skull is healing, the heralded defensive line did not dominate in Cleveland in Week 1.

Cox, however, had one of their two sacks.

During the week that followed, Eagles coach Andy Reid approached his first-round rookie and said, "I have to get you more playing time."

When the team convened at its hotel Saturday night to prepare for the home opener against the Ravens, defensive line coach Jim Washburn warned Cox to be ready for a marathon. So Cox, fearing cramps, hyper-hydrated with water, Gatorade and Pedialyte.

Good thing.

Cox played with the first unit as early as the second series of the game. He stood out with that unit again, just after the 2-minute warning of the first half, when the Eagles stopped the Ravens cold.

Cox ran a terrific stunt, switching from inside to outside with Jason Babin, which made Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco turn left, where Trent Cole was closing. Flacco had to throw the ball away.

On the next play, Cox pushed right guard Marshal Yanda into the backfield. Flacco had to settle for a pass to running back Ray Rice, for just 3 yards.

After just two games, Cox knew what to expect.

"Right before the half, he made two plays where he was really able to read their blocking scheme," said defensive coordinator Juan Castillo.

"I'm understanding it," Cox said.

Cox finished the afternoon with five tackles, one for a loss. The defense held the formidable Ravens attack to 23 points, 10 of them off turnovers. It should be said, only 10, since the Eagles turned it over four times.

The most remarkable numbers, though, were 51 and 73.

Cox played 51 defensive snaps. That is 73 percent.

He played more than any other defensive lineman. He played 14 more snaps than starting tackle Derek Landri, 19 more than starter Cullen Jenkins.

" 'Wash' has done a great job with him," Castillo said. "The kid knows he's special."

The Eagles considered him special enough to trade up three spots in the draft to secure him. They recently have endured modest disappointments on the defensive line, through injury or ineffectiveness. Having spent valuable picks on Brandon Graham, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim and Trevor Laws, Bryan Smith, Victor Abiamiri and Brodrick Bunkley, they should have cultivated a stable of home-grown players along the line.

They did not.

They have Cole, a cadre of mercenaries, no Patterson . . . and Cox.

"He has to play," Castillo said. "We count on him to make plays."

He made a few in Cleveland.

He made a few more Sunday.

Cox bulldozed left guard Ramon Harewood into the backfield and nearly intercepted Flacco's first pass of the second half.

He collapsed the pocket on the last two plays of the Ravens' next possession, after which the Eagles tied it.

Late in the third quarter, Cox sealed off the right side of the Ravens' screen blockers. Graham, the end on Cox's left, hit Flacco, while Cedric Thornton, the tackle to Cox's right, sniffed out the screen and pounded Rice, creating a third down that the Ravens did not convert.

Things hardly could have gone better. Certainly, the timing was perfect.

For the home opener, Cox hosted his mother, Malissa, and Bertha Moton, who is the mother of Melvin Baker, Cox's best friend. Melvin Baker died in a car crash in Mississippi in June. Cox calls Bertha Moton "Mamma." He considered Baker a brother.

Cox took his mother and his Mamma to dinner every night after they landed Wednesday. He took them shopping.

Then, on Sunday, he took them to work.

Bertha Moton cried when Cox took the field. She cried during the national anthem.

"I'm so proud. To see him out there . . . there's really no words for it," she said. "I had a few tear-dripping moments."

Since the accident, Cox routinely telephones Moton. He hardly ever called her before.

"She's my 'mom.' I'm her 'son.' Sunday, it was really emotional," Cox said.

"For her."

On Sunday, Cox had work to do. He played with a directness that he did not show in training camp.

"It's night and day," veteran end Darryl Tapp said.

Certainly, a light has come on for Cox.

"Really, it's just understanding the blocking schemes, and understanding the scheme here," Castillo said.

Washburn and Castillo use a version of the Wide Nine alignment, which usually flares ends far outside the offensive tackles with the aim of disrupting play in the backfield. That leaves the defensive tackles with an inordinate amount of responsibility, especially when teams run; even moreso when teams show a pass play and then run.

The scheme is not that simple, Castillo insisted.

"Everybody thinks it's just rushing the quarterback. What it is is, you rush, then you crush, then you close," Castillo said.

That might be clever phrasing, but unclear. Castillo clarified:

"When you rush, when you get off the ball, if it's a pass, you continue rushing the quarterback. If it's a run, and an offensive lineman blocks you, you try to take that offensive lineman right back to the back. You crush. Then, if you rush, and the offensive lineman blocks down, you have to [avoid that block and] be able to close.

"He's really come a long ways in understanding our scheme and what we're trying to do."

Mainly, the Eagles are trying to get Cox on the field as much as possible. To that end, Cox is eager to refine his technique.

A year ago, at Mississippi State, he could bully blockers with his 6-4, 298-pound frame. Today, he concentrates on the precise footwork and handwork that marks the NFL's best defensive linemen.

"It could be where my foot is positioned, or where my hands are in my alignment, to taking that bad step," Cox said. "My thing is, if things start off bad, it's going to be a bad play."

Considering the support that surrounds him, and considering his violent, absorptive nature, Cox isn't likely to have many bad plays.

"Fletch has a lot of fight in him. The attitude. That nastiness you like defensive linemen to have," said Jenkins, who worries that Cox might be overcoached. "You don't want to get on a guy like that too much, take away his natural abilities."

It is a balance. Without Patterson, who might miss the entire season, Cox's performance will be crucial. He understands that - and how little else he understands.

"He's a humble dude," Tapp said. "He's willing to listen."

On Monday, Cox listened to Washburn, who offered qualified praise. Washburn told Cox only that Cox played better Sunday than he had in Game 1.

That is fine with Cox.

"I can't afford to take a step backward," Cox said. "I am humble. What got me here is not having the answer to everything."

For the moment, Cox might not have the answer. Soon, though, he might be the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contributors of the 2012 draft class so far:CoxKendricksBoykinsFoles (primary backup)Brown (primary backup)And many of them look very good. Pretty impressive
What has Cox done?
Another great article about how impressive Cox has been. With All-22 film breakdown. Also from Brian Solomon who is usually very critical.http://mcnabborkolb.com/2012/9/21/fletcher-cox-for-the-win

Contributors of the 2012 draft class so far:

Cox

Kendricks

Boykins

Foles (primary backup)

Brown (primary backup)

And many of them look very good. Pretty impressive
What has Cox done?
BTW, re: Cox:
COX - Terrific game. Credited with 5 solo tackles, TFL, and PD. Tackled Rice on inside run by getting down the LOS. Only gave up a yard or so. Got the best of the RG and came free up the middle on pass play. Hit Flacco. Got cut blocked on run going to other side. Fought off the block and moved down the LOS to get in on the tackle. Broke up a 3rd Qtr pass. Was a screen and Fletch just got a hand up at the last second to deflect it. BAL ran outside to his side. Cox was fast enough to get over and get a hand on Rice. Didn’t make the play, but slowed him and pursuit was able to make the stop. Got a TFL to start the 4th Qtr, but it was a gift. Landri blew up a run and Fletch went and fell on the RB. Drove the RG back on run play and helped to clog the backfield. Drew a holding call in the early 4th when he split the RG and C. Birk grabbed him and drew the flag. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with Fletch. Looks like a stud DT in the making.
THE EAGLES LOST their best defensive tackle to brain surgery.

Fletcher Cox has made that loss less painful.

Without veteran starter Mike Patterson, whose skull is healing, the heralded defensive line did not dominate in Cleveland in Week 1.

Cox, however, had one of their two sacks.

During the week that followed, Eagles coach Andy Reid approached his first-round rookie and said, "I have to get you more playing time."

When the team convened at its hotel Saturday night to prepare for the home opener against the Ravens, defensive line coach Jim Washburn warned Cox to be ready for a marathon. So Cox, fearing cramps, hyper-hydrated with water, Gatorade and Pedialyte.

Good thing.

Cox played with the first unit as early as the second series of the game. He stood out with that unit again, just after the 2-minute warning of the first half, when the Eagles stopped the Ravens cold.

Cox ran a terrific stunt, switching from inside to outside with Jason Babin, which made Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco turn left, where Trent Cole was closing. Flacco had to throw the ball away.

On the next play, Cox pushed right guard Marshal Yanda into the backfield. Flacco had to settle for a pass to running back Ray Rice, for just 3 yards.

After just two games, Cox knew what to expect.

"Right before the half, he made two plays where he was really able to read their blocking scheme," said defensive coordinator Juan Castillo.

"I'm understanding it," Cox said.

Cox finished the afternoon with five tackles, one for a loss. The defense held the formidable Ravens attack to 23 points, 10 of them off turnovers. It should be said, only 10, since the Eagles turned it over four times.

The most remarkable numbers, though, were 51 and 73.

Cox played 51 defensive snaps. That is 73 percent.

He played more than any other defensive lineman. He played 14 more snaps than starting tackle Derek Landri, 19 more than starter Cullen Jenkins.

" 'Wash' has done a great job with him," Castillo said. "The kid knows he's special."

The Eagles considered him special enough to trade up three spots in the draft to secure him. They recently have endured modest disappointments on the defensive line, through injury or ineffectiveness. Having spent valuable picks on Brandon Graham, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim and Trevor Laws, Bryan Smith, Victor Abiamiri and Brodrick Bunkley, they should have cultivated a stable of home-grown players along the line.

They did not.

They have Cole, a cadre of mercenaries, no Patterson . . . and Cox.

"He has to play," Castillo said. "We count on him to make plays."

He made a few in Cleveland.

He made a few more Sunday.

Cox bulldozed left guard Ramon Harewood into the backfield and nearly intercepted Flacco's first pass of the second half.

He collapsed the pocket on the last two plays of the Ravens' next possession, after which the Eagles tied it.

Late in the third quarter, Cox sealed off the right side of the Ravens' screen blockers. Graham, the end on Cox's left, hit Flacco, while Cedric Thornton, the tackle to Cox's right, sniffed out the screen and pounded Rice, creating a third down that the Ravens did not convert.

Things hardly could have gone better. Certainly, the timing was perfect.

For the home opener, Cox hosted his mother, Malissa, and Bertha Moton, who is the mother of Melvin Baker, Cox's best friend. Melvin Baker died in a car crash in Mississippi in June. Cox calls Bertha Moton "Mamma." He considered Baker a brother.

Cox took his mother and his Mamma to dinner every night after they landed Wednesday. He took them shopping.

Then, on Sunday, he took them to work.

Bertha Moton cried when Cox took the field. She cried during the national anthem.

"I'm so proud. To see him out there . . . there's really no words for it," she said. "I had a few tear-dripping moments."

Since the accident, Cox routinely telephones Moton. He hardly ever called her before.

"She's my 'mom.' I'm her 'son.' Sunday, it was really emotional," Cox said.

"For her."

On Sunday, Cox had work to do. He played with a directness that he did not show in training camp.

"It's night and day," veteran end Darryl Tapp said.

Certainly, a light has come on for Cox.

"Really, it's just understanding the blocking schemes, and understanding the scheme here," Castillo said.

Washburn and Castillo use a version of the Wide Nine alignment, which usually flares ends far outside the offensive tackles with the aim of disrupting play in the backfield. That leaves the defensive tackles with an inordinate amount of responsibility, especially when teams run; even moreso when teams show a pass play and then run.

The scheme is not that simple, Castillo insisted.

"Everybody thinks it's just rushing the quarterback. What it is is, you rush, then you crush, then you close," Castillo said.

That might be clever phrasing, but unclear. Castillo clarified:

"When you rush, when you get off the ball, if it's a pass, you continue rushing the quarterback. If it's a run, and an offensive lineman blocks you, you try to take that offensive lineman right back to the back. You crush. Then, if you rush, and the offensive lineman blocks down, you have to [avoid that block and] be able to close.

"He's really come a long ways in understanding our scheme and what we're trying to do."

Mainly, the Eagles are trying to get Cox on the field as much as possible. To that end, Cox is eager to refine his technique.

A year ago, at Mississippi State, he could bully blockers with his 6-4, 298-pound frame. Today, he concentrates on the precise footwork and handwork that marks the NFL's best defensive linemen.

"It could be where my foot is positioned, or where my hands are in my alignment, to taking that bad step," Cox said. "My thing is, if things start off bad, it's going to be a bad play."

Considering the support that surrounds him, and considering his violent, absorptive nature, Cox isn't likely to have many bad plays.

"Fletch has a lot of fight in him. The attitude. That nastiness you like defensive linemen to have," said Jenkins, who worries that Cox might be overcoached. "You don't want to get on a guy like that too much, take away his natural abilities."

It is a balance. Without Patterson, who might miss the entire season, Cox's performance will be crucial. He understands that - and how little else he understands.

"He's a humble dude," Tapp said. "He's willing to listen."

On Monday, Cox listened to Washburn, who offered qualified praise. Washburn told Cox only that Cox played better Sunday than he had in Game 1.

That is fine with Cox.

"I can't afford to take a step backward," Cox said. "I am humble. What got me here is not having the answer to everything."

For the moment, Cox might not have the answer. Soon, though, he might be the answer.
Thanks for sharing the articles and I gladly stand corrected. With visions of dominant DTs like Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp, etc dancing in my head, I tend to have high expectations of first rd DTs. It's encouraging that he is grasping the mental side of the game, it tells me that his best is still ahead.

Real concerned about the OL today. I hope Demetrus Bell has his #### together, and the replacement center can hold his own. But I see McCoy not having too much success and Vick dropping back 50+ again times today with 3 or more turnovers. Could be a long day in the desert.

Turnovers. What else is new. They're lucky they're not 0-3. I just couldnt understand people ignoring the turnover issue all week. I guess because they were 2-0 it was no big deal, now that they got embarrassed it will be the biggest problem since the Cold War. I heard people all the radio this morning saying they were a Super Bowl caliper team, including the hosts.. :lmao:

Looking at stats, appears defense was good, but not great. Offense shooting itself in the foot again with turnovers. But I couldnt see the game today.

Was it as close as the stats indicate, barring turnovers? (I realize the score...looking at TOP, 3rd down conversion, totsal yards, etc.)

Looking at stats, appears defense was good, but not great. Offense shooting itself in the foot again with turnovers. But I couldnt see the game today.

Was it as close as the stats indicate, barring turnovers? (I realize the score...looking at TOP, 3rd down conversion, totsal yards, etc.)
:no:

Total domination. All the running yards came late in the game when Andy decided it was time to run.

Well it was 17-0, Birds had the ball on the 7 yard line with 6 seconds left in the half. Sack,fumble, 93 yard return td. And game. Turnovers played a big part.

Glad I picked up AZ defense this week.

Seriously though, turnovers. We all said it. We're happy we're 2-0 rather than 0-2 but 9 turnovers is too many. Today it bit them in the ###. The only upside is that they did win the previous 2 weeks so they have a margin for error. Going to be a tough one next week though with a well rested Giants team.

Got to see the game up close and personal. Surprised Vick's still alive with some of the shots he took.

Total domination by the Cards D. I give them all the credit in the world for making this solid offense look very ordinary.

It really wouldn't have mattered today who was QB back there with the swarming Arizona D.

Got to see the game up close and personal. Surprised Vick's still alive with some of the shots he took.Total domination by the Cards D. I give them all the credit in the world for making this solid offense look very ordinary.It really wouldn't have mattered today who was QB back there with the swarming Arizona D.
Outcoached

Pretty awful game from Vick, no pocket presence and holding the ball way too long. Poor clock management. Bad playcalling. Giving up a huge game to Larry Fitzgerald, which I don't find acceptable when THE PATRIOTS held him to a 1 catch/4 yard game. Same old ####. Very frustrating to be a fan of this team.

Pretty awful game from Vick, no pocket presence and holding the ball way too long. Poor clock management. Bad playcalling. Giving up a huge game to Larry Fitzgerald, which I don't find acceptable when THE PATRIOTS held him to a 1 catch/4 yard game. Same old ####. Very frustrating to be a fan of this team.
:goodposting: Don't see many Reid apologists in this thread anymore.

Nothings changed. Seems to be getting worse. Edwards or Foles will play at least one game before week 10 with the way the offensive line is letting guys blast through. Vick is taking more hits then any qb should take

I can't root for this team until Reid and the whole staff is blown up. Can't take it anymore. It's been real. Seeyas next season. (maybe, hopefully)

I can't root for this team until Reid and the whole staff is blown up. Can't take it anymore. It's been real. Seeyas next season. (maybe, hopefully)
Well I've been very consistent in my approach to this season - I don't really care what happens until the post-season. That's all that matters to me in year AR14. If they go 9-7 and get in, they better go deep. If they go 9-7 and miss it, I'm convinced Andy's gone (and not to appease the fans Joe B.). The only outcome that will tick me off is if they get into the playoffs and are 1-and-done and Jeff doesn't fire Reid. Any other outcome and I'm satisfied.

We need to sign Jake Scott to help shore up this interior line. They got it handed to them. Had we had some time to throw then I could critique other things but it all starts up front

Well I've been very consistent in my approach to this season - I don't really care what happens until the post-season. That's all that matters to me in year AR14. If they go 9-7 and get in, they better go deep. If they go 9-7 and miss it, I'm convinced Andy's gone (and not to appease the fans Joe B.). The only outcome that will tick me off is if they get into the playoffs and are 1-and-done and Jeff doesn't fire Reid. Any other outcome and I'm satisfied.
I'm just tired of it all. Been the same #### for 14 years, and he hasn't improved as a coach. If anything he's regressing. Another timeout wasted at the start of the 2nd quarter? Seriously??? How many times have we seen it? It's ####### amateur hour and a complete joke. McCoy had four carries in the first half. 4. I know they're not winning a Super Bowl this year, so what's the ####### point in wasting my time anymore? A deep playoff run and Reid staying is the worse thing that could possibly happen. But I'm pretty convinced it won't at this point.

I'm just tired of it all. Been the same #### for 14 years, and he hasn't improved as a coach. If anything he's regressing. Another timeout wasted at the start of the 2nd quarter? Seriously??? How many times have we seen it? It's ####### amateur hour and a complete joke. McCoy had four carries in the first half. 4. I know they're not winning a Super Bowl this year, so what's the ####### point in wasting my time anymore? A deep playoff run and Reid staying is the worse thing that could possibly happen. But I'm pretty convinced it won't at this point.
Ya you're not really adding anything to this conversation... you can scroll through other sites to find unoriginal banter from 'fans' like this... can we at least maybe save fbg threads for somewhat good discussion? We get it you hate reid, cheer for another team then since it sounds like you want to anyways. no one cares who you cheer for.

:goodposting:

Ya you're not really adding anything to this conversation... you can scroll through other sites to find unoriginal banter from 'fans' like this... can we at least maybe save fbg threads for somewhat good discussion? We get it you hate reid, cheer for another team then since it sounds like you want to anyways. no one cares who you cheer for.
Billy is frustrated just like many fans are. I doubt he's not watching the games come sunday. He's just saying it out of anger because we have seen the same thing for 14 years. IT becomes disheartening when you feel your team has no chance at the Super Bowl because the coach will fall back on bad habits at the first sign of distress. I'm still taking this year as a wait and see for each week. I hoped we could win in AZ but I knew it would be tough. Didn't think we'd get blown out. Again though, our defense held them to only 3 points in the 2nd half. So whatever adjustments they made worked. Just wish the offense could learn to do the same. And final note, We're gradually getting less turnovers. 5-4-3. So next week only 2 and only 1 against the Steelers. We'll be on our way. :excited:

I get a baaaad feeling that this is only the beginning of a really bad stretch for the team. I think this NYG game is going to be U-G-L-Y.

I get a baaaad feeling that this is only the beginning of a really bad stretch for the team. I think this NYG game is going to be U-G-L-Y.
Maybe. I had a bad feeling about this game as recent history shows they've really haven;'t played that very good against the Cards. I do agree if they lose and lose bad to the Giants that will be the downward spiral.

Good discussion. I was having a conversation with amused, not you. But feel free to put me on ignore or don't waste you're time replying to my posts. Pretty simple, really. Not sure if you're a new fan, but anybody accepting these kinds of games from a so called great coach is being a blind fool. And insein is right. I'm going to keep watching because I'm a fan, a loyal fan of 30 years who travels to watch the team.. It just gets my blood boiling after watching the insanity continue into our 14th season with no improvement.

Agreed. Just way too many turnovers and Vick gets hit way too often. This season could turn ugly in a hurry, the defense gives me hope though. I would love to see more carries early for McCoy just to keep the turnovers down. A little more balance early in games would be nice. Hopefully Maclin is back soon.

Giants Steelers Lions....they could easily be 2-3 before their bye. Hell they shouldnt have been 2-0 going into the Cards game. Any rumblings from your buddy yet?Also the defense still worries me some. Was lots of miscommunication yesterday some of which led to a TD

You know, given the way this season has gone and the way Giants/Eagles games go, it wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles win big. Remember the first game against the Cowboys last year? And the Steelers just lost to the Raiders. They're beatable.

Giants Steelers Lions....they could easily be 2-3 before their bye. Hell they shouldnt have been 2-0 going into the Cards game. Any rumblings from your buddy yet?

Also the defense still worries me some. Was lots of miscommunication yesterday some of which led to a TD
Not really. Apparently there is a lot of blame going around about re-signing Vick. The ones who spoke out against it are really crowing now. IMO that's all 20/20 hindsight though. Of course they know that the o-line is in shambles, but no team could get through losing all those players without problems. Not much out there currently to help.

Good discussion. I was having a conversation with amused, not you. But feel free to put me on ignore or don't waste you're time replying to my posts. Pretty simple, really. Not sure if you're a new fan, but anybody accepting these kinds of games from a so called great coach is being a blind fool.

And insein is right. I'm going to keep watching because I'm a fan, a loyal fan of 30 years who travels to watch the team.. It just gets my blood boiling after watching the insanity continue into our 14th season with no improvement.
No I've been a fan for a long time but I don't rush to boards to say how much I hate the team when they lose a game. It's almost like you'd rather lose and be 'right' then have your team win the superbowl. No I'm not happy with last nights game, but I'm happy we won the first two and I think one game doesn't dictate a season.So let me get this straight, you're going to keep watching because you're a loyal fan, yet you said you can't root for this team until Reid is fired. So you're going to watch and root for the other team? Pretty contradictory statements there don't you think?

'Deranged Hermit said:
'delusional said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
Giants Steelers Lions....they could easily be 2-3 before their bye. Hell they shouldnt have been 2-0 going into the Cards game. Any rumblings from your buddy yet?

Also the defense still worries me some. Was lots of miscommunication yesterday some of which led to a TD
Not really. Apparently there is a lot of blame going around about re-signing Vick. The ones who spoke out against it are really crowing now. IMO that's all 20/20 hindsight though. Of course they know that the o-line is in shambles, but no team could get through losing all those players without problems. Not much out there currently to help.
Poor decision making on Vick's part to be sure, but I can't blame him for yesterday's debacle. The play calling was un-fathomable. 1st down, 1 yard line goal to go with the best RB in the league and one of the most mobile QBs in the league....pass.

2nd down, 1 yard line goal to go with the best RB in the league and one of the most mobile QBs in the league....pass.

3rd down, 1 yard line goal to go with the best RB in the league and one of the most mobile QBs in the league....pass with no protection on the left side of the line, Vick gets killed-fumble return the other way 99 yards for a TD.

If memory serves, they had timeouts left too, so you can't tell me that they couldn't run with 18 seconds left on the clock.

I really hope Andy explains the thinking with that specific series cause I am stumped.

'Deamon said:
'Billy Bats said:
'Billy Bats said:
Good discussion. I was having a conversation with amused, not you. But feel free to put me on ignore or don't waste you're time replying to my posts. Pretty simple, really. Not sure if you're a new fan, but anybody accepting these kinds of games from a so called great coach is being a blind fool.

And insein is right. I'm going to keep watching because I'm a fan, a loyal fan of 30 years who travels to watch the team.. It just gets my blood boiling after watching the insanity continue into our 14th season with no improvement.
No I've been a fan for a long time but I don't rush to boards to say how much I hate the team when they lose a game. It's almost like you'd rather lose and be 'right' then have your team win the superbowl. No I'm not happy with last nights game, but I'm happy we won the first two and I think one game doesn't dictate a season.So let me get this straight, you're going to keep watching because you're a loyal fan, yet you said you can't root for this team until Reid is fired. So you're going to watch and root for the other team? Pretty contradictory statements there don't you think?
Who cares. He's venting. He's allowed to do it. I got so called-out on this board after week one for pointing out all the serious issues I saw and sounding 'down on the team' after a road win. Same issues week two and surprise, surprise, the same issues this week. My frustration with this coaching staff does not preclude me from being a fan and vice-versa. I saw a much more talented Eagles team yesterday, manhandled by Arizona in all facets of the game, as well as a glut of turnovers, Red Zone inefficiency, complete lack of running game and poor decision making by players and coaches. Its ####### maddening.

'Deranged Hermit said:
'delusional said:
'Deranged Hermit said:

Poor decision making on Vick's part to be sure, but I can't blame him for yesterday's debacle. The play calling was un-fathomable. 1st down, 1 yard line goal to go with the best RB in the league and one of the most mobile QBs in the league....pass.

2nd down, 1 yard line goal to go with the best RB in the league and one of the most mobile QBs in the league....pass.

3rd down, 1 yard line goal to go with the best RB in the league and one of the most mobile QBs in the league....pass with no protection on the left side of the line, Vick gets killed-fumble return the other way 99 yards for a TD.

If memory serves, they had timeouts left too, so you can't tell me that they couldn't run with 18 seconds left on the clock.

I really hope Andy explains the thinking with that specific series cause I am stumped.
Actually I think they were out of time outs. But that also can be attributed to poor game management on Reid's part.

'Deranged Hermit said:
'delusional said:
'Deranged Hermit said:

Pretty sure they had no timeouts left. I don't disagree with passing in that situation. Also, the free blitzer is the QBs responsibility. Vick needs to recognize that and move the pocket to his right, where his protection is. He never looked to his left and got blindsided.I heard Jaws this morning on M&M and to paraphrase, he said he's a Reid apologist but the first half play calling was bad. He pointed out that the O-line had 2 replacements and Vick was getting pressure from the start. Reid needed to balance the play calling to help the lineman and slow down the pass rush.

But we as fans know that Reid will NEVER make the necessary in-game adjustments to counter what the defense is doing. Andy is smarter than the rest of us.

'Deranged Hermit said:
'delusional said:
'Deranged Hermit said:

They had no timeouts and 16 seconds on the clock to start. If they were going to run it had to be on first down...

My only real issue with that drive was Vick hanging out in the pocket when the play had 6 seconds to start with.

It goes back to what we have seen since the end of 2010. Vick is figured and regressing.

Where's the shovel pass that's been so effective in the past? Where's the roll outs for Vick? No disguise in their plays whatsoever. No quick hitters. Everything is a 5-7 step drop and let Vick hang in the pocket while routes slowly develop. Horrific play calling.

During the game, did anyone else catch the broadcaster (Thom Breneman?) say the Eagles offense forgot what down it was? IIRC, Vick had just been sacked for a big loss on 2nd down and offense started to trot off the field and bring in the punt team. I thought I heard Breneman say something like, "The Eagles forgot what down it was and started leaving the field".

Also, the fact that they had call a timeout prior to the start of the 2nd quarter was inexcusable. C'mon guys, the clock isn't even running! Act like you're prepared to play. Oh, forgot Andy said in his presser that he didn't have the team ready to play. It showed.

'Deranged Hermit said:
'delusional said:
'Deranged Hermit said:

Saw this part on RZ...they had no timeouts. COuldn't run.

During the game, did anyone else catch the broadcaster (Thom Breneman?) say the Eagles offense forgot what down it was? IIRC, Vick had just been sacked for a big loss on 2nd down and offense started to trot off the field and bring in the punt team. I thought I heard Breneman say something like, "The Eagles forgot what down it was and started leaving the field".

Also, the fact that they had call a timeout prior to the start of the 2nd quarter was inexcusable. C'mon guys, the clock isn't even running! Act like you're prepared to play. Oh, forgot Andy said in his presser that he didn't have the team ready to play. It showed.
Yes, it was after a sack and 3rd and 20. The next play was a draw to Shady I believe...one of his 4 carries that half.

Where's the shovel pass that's been so effective in the past? Where's the roll outs for Vick? No disguise in their plays whatsoever. No quick hitters. Everything is a 5-7 step drop and let Vick hang in the pocket while routes slowly develop. Horrific play calling.
How many screens have they run so far in 3 games? That was something else that stood out to me during the game was the broadcaster made a comment that "the screen is such a vital part of the Eagles play calling"It used to be...

Looking over all the numbers, I find it hard to get too far down. 'Zona has what looks like a top 5 defense, the O-line is banged up, and the offense keeps turning the ball over at an insane rate. Yet the Eagles have put up solid offensive yardage, the defense has looked like a top 5-8 unit, and the team scraped out two wins in games they would have folded in last year.

The Giants defense isn't nearly as strong as the Cardinals...they got embaressed week 1 by Dallas at home, and looked pretty bad again against a marginal Bucs team. Give Vick any semblance of protection and keep the turnovers down and that's a game we should win. Pittsburgh has their own issues on the O-line, and are certainly beatable (as long as we stop turning the ball over 4X a game.)

'Deamon said:
'Billy Bats said:
'Billy Bats said:

Who cares. He's venting. He's allowed to do it. I got so called-out on this board after week one for pointing out all the serious issues I saw and sounding 'down on the team' after a road win. Same issues week two and surprise, surprise, the same issues this week. My frustration with this coaching staff does not preclude me from being a fan and vice-versa. I saw a much more talented Eagles team yesterday, manhandled by Arizona in all facets of the game, as well as a glut of turnovers, Red Zone inefficiency, complete lack of running game and poor decision making by players and coaches. Its ####### maddening.
It's one thing to vent, but to say you're not going to root for the team anymore, then taking that statement back and saying you're a huge fan who will continue to cheer for them. Then let me guess, if we lose and play awful next week, it will be back to the boards or to friends saying how you knew this team would suck, reid has to be fired, and you can't cheer for the team again. I get it you're frustrated... I am too.... but if you're so against the team and have so little faith in them, then stop watching them. It's very contradictory to claim to be a huge fan then rush to tell people you're giving up on them or claiming that you could do a better job play calling and running the team and this is what andy did wrong, etc. Yes thats right, you should actually be the coach of the team. Even though after every loss you want him gone, Andy isn't getting fired this season and you're going to have to deal with it. This "i hate this team, we're going nowhere, we suck, andy sucks" stuff is things I wouldn't expect from a fan actually wanting the team to win a superbowl.

Users who are viewing this thread