What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2012 Official Philadelphia Eagles Post Mortem Thread *** (1 Viewer)

face it, their past few drafts havent been good at all & development has been shoddy at best
In what might shock you delusional, I agree with you. Here are our last five drafts:2011 1 1 23 23 Danny Watkins G Baylor2011 2 2 22 54 Jaiquawn Jarrett DB Temple2011 3 3 26 90 Curtis Marsh DB Utah State2011 4 4 19 116 Casey Matthews LB Oregon2011 5 4 23 120 Alex Henery K Nebraska2011 6 5 30 161 Julian Vandervele G Iowa2011 7 6 26 191 Jason Kelce C Cincinnati2011 8 6 28 193 Brian Rolle LB Ohio State2011 9 7 34 237 Greg Lloyd LB Connecticut2011 10 7 37 240 Stanley Havili RB USC2010 1 1 13 13 Brandon Graham LB Michigan2010 2 2 5 37 Nate Allen DB South Florida2010 3 3 22 86 Daniel Te'p-Nesheim DE Washington2010 4 4 7 105 Trevard Lindley DB Kentucky2010 5 4 23 121 Keenan Clayton LB Oklahoma2010 6 4 24 122 Mike Kafka QB Northwestern2010 7 4 27 125 Clay Harbor TE Missouri State2010 8 5 3 134 Ricky Sapp DE Clemson2010 9 5 28 159 Riley Cooper WR Florida2010 10 6 31 200 Charles Scott RB Louisiana State2010 11 7 13 220 Jamar Chaney LB Mississippi State2010 12 7 36 243 Jeffrey Owens DT Georgia2010 13 7 37 244 Kurt Coleman DB Ohio State2009 1 1 19 19 Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri2009 2 2 21 53 LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh2009 3 5 17 153 Cornelius Ingram TE Florida2009 4 5 21 157 Victor Harris DB Virginia Tech2009 5 5 23 159 Fenuki Tupou T Oregon2009 6 6 21 194 Brandon Gibson WR Washington State2009 7 7 4 213 Paul Fanaika G Arizona State2009 8 7 21 230 Moise Fokou LB Maryland2008 1 2 16 47 Trevor Laws DT Notre Dame2008 2 2 18 49 DeSean Jackson WR California2008 3 3 17 80 Bryan Smith DE McNeese State2008 4 4 10 109 Michael McGlynn G Pittsburgh2008 5 4 18 117 Quintin Demps DB Texas-El Paso2008 6 4 32 131 Jack Ikegwuonu DB Wisconsin2008 7 6 18 184 Michael Gibson G California2008 8 6 34 200 Joe Mays LB North Dakota State2008 9 6 37 203 Andrew Studebaker DE Wheaton2008 10 7 23 230 King Dunlap T Auburn2007 1 2 4 36 Kevin Kolb QB Houston2007 2 2 25 57 Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame2007 3 3 24 87 Stewart Bradley LB Nebraska2007 4 3 27 90 Tony Hunt RB Penn State2007 5 5 22 159 C.J. Gaddis DB Clemson2007 6 5 25 162 Brent Celek TE Cincinnati2007 7 6 27 201 Rashad Barksdale DB Albany State2007 8 7 26 236 Nate Ilaoa RB HawaiiIn five years we've drafted three impact players (Shady McCoy, Maclin and DJax), a traded commodity (Kolb) and a few low end starters (that we would all admit could be replaced by many alternatives for the better). That's pretty ridiculous for an organization with the Eagles reputation.
PUT THOSE GREEN REID GLASSES BACK ON WOOD ... YOU ARE SCARING US!!! ;)

'JAA said:
'delusional said:
face it, their past few drafts havent been good at all & development has been shoddy at best
Id like someone to find ANY good Eagles draft ...
2002 Eagles Draft.Lito, Sheldon, Michael Lewis, Brian Westbrook and even Raheem Brock in the 7th even though he never played for us. Best draft Andy ever had.

I don't really understand the Graham hate by everyone. Yes, he's not JPP. But I remember reading on PFF or one of that statistical sites taht Graham had the best rookie season of any of the rookie DEs until his ACL. Last year he was playing thru injury and barely on the field. I expect good things this year.

Looked into it and he made PFF's all rookie team. Here is what they said:

Quite clearly wasn’t ready to start in Week 1, and he was far too one-dimensional a player to play the run. Graham did improve before his season ended, and maintained his pass rush throughout to finish the year as the most productive rookie pass rusher (37 total pressures).

I don't really understand the Graham hate by everyone. Yes, he's not JPP. But I remember reading on PFF or one of that statistical sites taht Graham had the best rookie season of any of the rookie DEs until his ACL. Last year he was playing thru injury and barely on the field. I expect good things this year.
His rookie season seems so far away at this point and even then all he had was pressures. As it stands now he's not going to take enough playing time away from Babin or Cole to justfiy his selection. Right now, IMHO, he is Jerome McDougle.

So since we came out of nowhere last season and signed Nnamdi when we had 2 CB's is there ANY chance we do the same thing for another position we value....like Mario Williams? I'm not sure of Cole's contract or anything but I would make this happen no matter what. If you're going to spend, get him and Landry.

So since we came out of nowhere last season and signed Nnamdi when we had 2 CB's is there ANY chance we do the same thing for another position we value....like Mario Williams? I'm not sure of Cole's contract or anything but I would make this happen no matter what. If you're going to spend, get him and Landry.
Right? Don't get cheap on me now Dodson... err Banner.

That rings a bell....Jurrasic Park?

That be da bell you hearing

That be da bell you hearing
Ding ding!

So what are the positives/negatives among Connor/Lofton/Fletcher at the MLB spot (other than it means they definitely would not draft Kuechly)?
Lofton is a liability vs. the pass, Fletcher is the best right now but the cliff could arrive any moment, and Connor doesn't suck at anything but he's also not abover average anywhere either. He's just a guy.Although the FA route seems much more Reid's M.O. then LB early in the draft, even though he should.

Plus with Connor, don't you have to be at least a little leery of his injuries? Missed most of 2008 with an ACL. Only started 8 games in 2010 after he broke his hip.

Plus with Connor, don't you have to be at least a little leery of his injuries? Missed most of 2008 with an ACL. Only started 8 games in 2010 after he broke his hip.
Sounds like a Joe Banner special. Guy with a history of major injuries will settle for a lower contract.

At PSU he was a beast but he's been banged up pretty much since he started in the NFL. Not sure if i'd be up for having him but loved him when he played at PSU.

The draft is about 2 things; adding impact players and creating solid depth. The Eagles have added depth. I'm willing to admit guys like Jamar Cheney, Brian rolle, Clay harbour, etc were good gets where they got them and have proven they can step in and be competent at the position.

Where they have failed miserably is the star power, specifically on defense. While on offense its true they have added DJax, Shady and Maclin, defensively they have a mental block as to what type of player has star potential. Picking guys like Brandon Graham over JPP or settling for Nate Allen in the 2nd when they could have had Earl Thomas in the first. There's no imagination. They have a formula that says player x weighs this much, height is this much and he runs this fast. He can play at x position. There's a big difference between "can play" and "owns the role." There doesn't seem to be any scouting instinct on what guys just have "IT." Whether thats the scouts being bad at their job or the top brass ignoring their scout's opinions for their own, it is a problem. They have no defensive minds in the organization that can identify players with star potential.
fans are going to be regretting that for the next 10 years.
Or maybe, the Eagles suck at developing young defensive players, and if they had drafted differently, the young players still would not have panned out. Nothing says the Eagles would have been able to put JPP in the same position to succeed as the Giants have.
Well its not like any of the guys we failed to develop went somewhere else and actually played. Most of them are out of the league

The more I'm thinking about it the more I can definitley see Mario Williams coming here. Cole's contract is up after next season and Williams can also double as a DT in the Wide-9 and DE when Babin/ Cole need a break. This is also a position they love.

Mario Williams is a FA?
uhh, yup and we just signed Babin last year to pair with Cole. Not sure where they would all line-up
His rookie season seems so far away at this point and even then all he had was pressures. As it stands now he's not going to take enough playing time away from Babin or Cole to justfiy his selection. Right now, IMHO, he is Jerome McDougle.
I don't hate him at all. But we traded up to take him instead of JPP who is now in our division. Sure he was OK as a rookie but he does look like McDougle to me right now. Of course it won't be the FO's fault if he never gets on the field due to injuries.And as far as pressures.... I remember a Philly DE we drafted in the 1st round who had a lot of QB pressures. bet you would want another player like him? Mike "one step away" Mamula. I'll take sacks over pressures

The more I'm thinking about it the more I can definitley see Mario Williams coming here. Cole's contract is up after next season and Williams can also double as a DT in the Wide-9 and DE when Babin/ Cole need a break. This is also a position they love.
:lol:will we have enough cap space after we sign Peyton?

'Shane Falco said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
After we trade Vick, Desean and Asante we should lol.All kidding aside...of all the rumors (this wasnt one as far as I know) this would not shock me in anyway. Cole is heading toward FA and 30...neither bode well for him with how we are. Williams is what, 26-27 and a superstar. He's also big enough to play DT as well and again, its a position we value.

'Shane Falco said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
After we trade Vick, Desean and Asante we should lol.All kidding aside...of all the rumors (this wasnt one as far as I know) this would not shock me in anyway. Cole is heading toward FA and 30...neither bode well for him with how we are. Williams is what, 26-27 and a superstar. He's also big enough to play DT as well and again, its a position we value.
Yeah, they come out of left field sometimes with signings but I really don't see this one in the cards

I know after last year's Nnamdi get and free agent bonanza, it's hard to dismiss any move this organization might make. But I have to say that most moves have filled needs before and weren't completely out of left field. We were considered one of the possible fits for Nnamdi last year, but ultimately it felt like a "surprise" because we acquired DRC in the Kolb trade, kept Asante, and had already spent a boatload of money on other free agents by the time he made his announcement.

In looking at the slate of free agents (at least until we see who gets jettisoned for cap reasons), I think the highest priced FA I could see them targeting is Ben Grubbs or Carl Nicks. We seem ready to re-sign Evan Mathis, but Reid has always loved bolstering the OL and will pay big bucks for a guy he thinks is a difference maker. I personally would LOVE to see them go after an FA center -- someone like Hardwick or Myers or Wells, because I just don't think Kelce should be the answer for a team that really wants to contend.

I know after last year's Nnamdi get and free agent bonanza, it's hard to dismiss any move this organization might make. But I have to say that most moves have filled needs before and weren't completely out of left field. We were considered one of the possible fits for Nnamdi last year, but ultimately it felt like a "surprise" because we acquired DRC in the Kolb trade, kept Asante, and had already spent a boatload of money on other free agents by the time he made his announcement. In looking at the slate of free agents (at least until we see who gets jettisoned for cap reasons), I think the highest priced FA I could see them targeting is Ben Grubbs or Carl Nicks. We seem ready to re-sign Evan Mathis, but Reid has always loved bolstering the OL and will pay big bucks for a guy he thinks is a difference maker. I personally would LOVE to see them go after an FA center -- someone like Hardwick or Myers or Wells, because I just don't think Kelce should be the answer for a team that really wants to contend.
The Williams thing just feels right for some reason. They're always trying to find DE's to move inside and with Cole being a FA soon you culd just slide him over there. If you want to rush the passer all day then why not run wil Babin, whoever, Williams and Cole? Wishful thinking I guess.Is there a site or someone who ranks offensive lineman? I don't really know much about Kelce but he didnt seem bad to me as the season went on and I'm curios to see how he stacked up to other centers.

'Shane Falco said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
I live in Houston, and have seen quite a bit of Williams play. I, for one, don't think he is worth what he's going to be paid. He has put up pretty good numbers, but doesn't seem to be a game changer. I also think he is an injury risk. Based on his personality, I think he would get pretty upset with the Philly fans riding him if he didn't perform. He seems like the type who would pout and it would affect his game.While he had 5 sacks in just 5 games last year, the defense was still ranked #2 with a rookie filling his slot.Just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooooo.... sign Peyton, trade Vick for a 1st, have Lombardi Trophy delivered to training camp. Seems like a good plan to me. What? It could happen. :mellow:

I have to say that all the talk on WIP and 97.5 about bringing Manning in is annoying me. While I understand that the on-air folks need something to generate interested and passionate phone calls the truth is that it is just highly unlikely (to me). I don't see Reid/Mornhinweg allowing Peyton to "run his offense" and audible as much as he does. (Though I guess the counter is that he would need to become fluent in their offense before he could do so as effectively as he has before.) I don't know how many takers there would be for Vick considering his contract and last year's injuries, output, and seeming decline/plateau in development. Maybe having Mudd in is attractive, and there are certainly good weapons, but Manning may not want to stand in a pocket that had Vick running for his life last year.

What ever happened to the Stephen Tulloch rumours? Sounded 2 weeks ago like they were reporting we were going to sign him, but that sure cooled down. I'd still take him over a lot of the other LB's that are rumoured to come here. Even seeing Kuechly going earlier then #15 so not sure he'd last to us.

What ever happened to the Stephen Tulloch rumours? Sounded 2 weeks ago like they were reporting we were going to sign him, but that sure cooled down. I'd still take him over a lot of the other LB's that are rumoured to come here. Even seeing Kuechly going earlier then #15 so not sure he'd last to us.
last I heard was Dan Conner. Which sounds about right for the Eagles

In what might shock you delusional, I agree with you. Here are our last five drafts:2011 1 1 23 23 Danny Watkins G Baylor2011 2 2 22 54 Jaiquawn Jarrett DB Temple2011 3 3 26 90 Curtis Marsh DB Utah State2011 4 4 19 116 Casey Matthews LB Oregon2011 5 4 23 120 Alex Henery K Nebraska2011 6 5 30 161 Julian Vandervele G Iowa2011 7 6 26 191 Jason Kelce C Cincinnati2011 8 6 28 193 Brian Rolle LB Ohio State2011 9 7 34 237 Greg Lloyd LB Connecticut2011 10 7 37 240 Stanley Havili RB USC2010 1 1 13 13 Brandon Graham LB Michigan2010 2 2 5 37 Nate Allen DB South Florida2010 3 3 22 86 Daniel Te'p-Nesheim DE Washington2010 4 4 7 105 Trevard Lindley DB Kentucky2010 5 4 23 121 Keenan Clayton LB Oklahoma2010 6 4 24 122 Mike Kafka QB Northwestern2010 7 4 27 125 Clay Harbor TE Missouri State2010 8 5 3 134 Ricky Sapp DE Clemson2010 9 5 28 159 Riley Cooper WR Florida2010 10 6 31 200 Charles Scott RB Louisiana State2010 11 7 13 220 Jamar Chaney LB Mississippi State2010 12 7 36 243 Jeffrey Owens DT Georgia2010 13 7 37 244 Kurt Coleman DB Ohio State2009 1 1 19 19 Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri2009 2 2 21 53 LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh2009 3 5 17 153 Cornelius Ingram TE Florida2009 4 5 21 157 Victor Harris DB Virginia Tech2009 5 5 23 159 Fenuki Tupou T Oregon2009 6 6 21 194 Brandon Gibson WR Washington State2009 7 7 4 213 Paul Fanaika G Arizona State2009 8 7 21 230 Moise Fokou LB Maryland2008 1 2 16 47 Trevor Laws DT Notre Dame2008 2 2 18 49 DeSean Jackson WR California2008 3 3 17 80 Bryan Smith DE McNeese State2008 4 4 10 109 Michael McGlynn G Pittsburgh2008 5 4 18 117 Quintin Demps DB Texas-El Paso2008 6 4 32 131 Jack Ikegwuonu DB Wisconsin2008 7 6 18 184 Michael Gibson G California2008 8 6 34 200 Joe Mays LB North Dakota State2008 9 6 37 203 Andrew Studebaker DE Wheaton2008 10 7 23 230 King Dunlap T Auburn2007 1 2 4 36 Kevin Kolb QB Houston2007 2 2 25 57 Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame2007 3 3 24 87 Stewart Bradley LB Nebraska2007 4 3 27 90 Tony Hunt RB Penn State2007 5 5 22 159 C.J. Gaddis DB Clemson2007 6 5 25 162 Brent Celek TE Cincinnati2007 7 6 27 201 Rashad Barksdale DB Albany State2007 8 7 26 236 Nate Ilaoa RB HawaiiIn five years we've drafted three impact players (Shady McCoy, Maclin and DJax), a traded commodity (Kolb) and a few low end starters (that we would all admit could be replaced by many alternatives for the better). That's pretty ridiculous for an organization with the Eagles reputation.
PUT THOSE GREEN REID GLASSES BACK ON WOOD ... YOU ARE SCARING US!!! ;)
I know, he agreed with what I been saying for the past 3 years here LOL. Glad to see some people are realizing it

Its not Graham hate. Its the fact the bigger need was safety & they moved up to take Graham instead of Thomas. Which IMHO was the common sense pick but they throw a curve ball. Which happens to be an ongoing thing with the Eagles draft.

Lol at those who thought we could trade up to #2 for Asante and Desean...

Rams trade down 4 picks for 2 1st round picks and a 2nd.

'scratcher said:
Lol at those who thought we could trade up to #2 for Asante and Desean...Rams trade down 4 picks for 2 1st round picks and a 2nd.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7668243/source-washington-redskins-acquire-no-2-overall-pick-st-louis-ramsActually, 3 first rounders. Like I said.
So D-Jax, Samuel, 15 overall and one of the two's wouldnt be enough? If you are STL...why wouldnt you do that?
When Cleveland or Washington will give you this year's 1st, next year's 1st and 2014's 1st plus some late rounders, why would you take a 31 year old overpaid corner and a diva WR when you can get all those picks and Blackmon? Falcons traded two 1st's, a 2nd and two 4th's just to get 6th overall last year for Julio Jones. We're talking the 2nd pick and a possible franchise QB on the line. That is not going for 2 players a 1st round swap and a 2nd.

'scratcher said:
Lol at those who thought we could trade up to #2 for Asante and Desean...Rams trade down 4 picks for 2 1st round picks and a 2nd.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7668243/source-washington-redskins-acquire-no-2-overall-pick-st-louis-ramsActually, 3 first rounders. Like I said.
So D-Jax, Samuel, 15 overall and one of the two's wouldnt be enough? If you are STL...why wouldnt you do that?
When Cleveland or Washington will give you this year's 1st, next year's 1st and 2014's 1st plus some late rounders, why would you take a 31 year old overpaid corner and a diva WR when you can get all those picks and Blackmon? Falcons traded two 1st's, a 2nd and two 4th's just to get 6th overall last year for Julio Jones. We're talking the 2nd pick and a possible franchise QB on the line. That is not going for 2 players a 1st round swap and a 2nd.
LOL at the Redskins. Way to mortgage your future guys. Better hope RG doesn't get hurt or just plain sucks.

LOL at the Redskins. Way to mortgage your future guys. Better hope RG doesn't get hurt or just plain sucks.
Just out of curiosity, did your buddy mention if the Eagles were ever seriously involved in this? I'm happy they didn't, considering the steep price, but I'm a curious cat.

'scratcher said:
The redskins gave up 3 firsts including the one this year but in essence that means the rams traded down 4 spots for 2 first rounders (and a 2nd). Semantics. :shrug:Good prediction btw.

Graziano talks about how the Eagles should sign London Fletcher and I agree completely. I think its the perfect solution. I dont want to trust MLB to a rookie and Fletcher would be the perfect 2 year bandaid til we develop a rookie. Fletcher is old, yes, but his game is still at a high level and he's a great leader. And he wont be as expensive as these other FA LBs. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Graziano talks about how the Eagles should sign London Fletcher and I agree completely. I think its the perfect solution. I dont want to trust MLB to a rookie and Fletcher would be the perfect 2 year bandaid til we develop a rookie. Fletcher is old, yes, but his game is still at a high level and he's a great leader. And he wont be as expensive as these other FA LBs. Seems like a no brainer to me.
I'm told he will be looked at closely. Seems like a good fit to me.

Just out of curiosity, did your buddy mention if the Eagles were ever seriously involved in this? I'm happy they didn't, considering the steep price, but I'm a curious cat.
We don't need an insider to know the Eagles weren't in on this.
Yeah, what Jason said. They kicked the tires, but didn't even make an offer.

It will be interesting in about 5 years when the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys are all looking for their next franchise QB.

It will be interesting in about 5 years when the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys are all looking for their next franchise QB.
Earlier than that for the Eagles and probably the Boys too. If they are both wait till then they're gonna have some issues
Eagles will need one next year. I don't think Vick can last for another 3 seasons. So either Andy is still here and needs a new protege to learn the offense by the time Vick is done or Andy is gone and so is Vick. The new coach will want his guy in there learning his offense.

DH, I realize this is a stupid question loaded with wishful thinking but do you know if the Eagles have even discussed Peyton Manning?

DH, I realize this is a stupid question loaded with wishful thinking but do you know if the Eagles have even discussed Peyton Manning?
I asked him that very same question last night. I got the feeling they weren't looking for another aging, broken down QB on the roster.

That's what I would have guessed, but I'm not sure that the aging quarterback we have right now can take us to the Super Bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread