What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Packers Offseason (2 Viewers)

I know a lot of people are down on Finley (and rightfully so), but I don't see him walking. With the success of a lot of TEs this year, we're in the midst of a potential offensive sea change and Finley at least has the uncoachable elements to be great. He definitely needs more consistency and maturity, but I think it's hard to part with a physical talent like that, even if he's not playing to expectations. I don't think he has a history of off field issues, which means I think his maturity stands a chance of improving instead of someone like Jeremay Stevens, who had a ton of talent, but couldn't make the transition to adulthood. Seems like some of the issues people have with him is that he didn't perform to the lofty expectations, but he still had a pretty good year. Can he do better? Absolutely, but he's worth continuing to work with (though not at 9mil+).
I agree. Word from the beat writers is that he has great hands and that's what is confusing. And you have to remember he is only 24. That's younger than TE Ryan Taylor who they drafted last year.

I know a lot of people are down on Finley (and rightfully so), but I don't see him walking. With the success of a lot of TEs this year, we're in the midst of a potential offensive sea change and Finley at least has the uncoachable elements to be great. He definitely needs more consistency and maturity, but I think it's hard to part with a physical talent like that, even if he's not playing to expectations. I don't think he has a history of off field issues, which means I think his maturity stands a chance of improving instead of someone like Jeremay Stevens, who had a ton of talent, but couldn't make the transition to adulthood.

Seems like some of the issues people have with him is that he didn't perform to the lofty expectations, but he still had a pretty good year. Can he do better? Absolutely, but he's worth continuing to work with (though not at 9mil+).
I agree. Word from the beat writers is that he has great hands and that's what is confusing. And you have to remember he is only 24. That's younger than TE Ryan Taylor who they drafted last year.
Did you not watch this past game? Believe your eyes, not some beat writer's.

Lets start with defense, defense, and defense:Linebacker: I know I say this constantly, but is there a more overrated linebacker than AJ Hawk? Desmond Bishop is fine in the middle, and is really good when he isn't battling nagging injuries. And obviously Hawk won't be replaced due to his contract. Matthews is Matthews, but the Pack are wasting his greatness by trotting out sub par OLB opposite him. I think this is the biggest need on the defense, but I am not sure where the answer is. Haven't really looked at free agents yet. D Line: Cullen Jenkins was greatly missed in the Giants game. When they went 3 down lineman rushing, their was zero rush, not even a push. Jenkins was fantastic at rushing the passer in the playoffs last season. Definitely need another body for depth, here, but I would not say it is a priority. A veteran rotation end would be helpful.Secondary: Poor year, that was exacerbated by poor pass rush. Safety is an area of need, and I have no confidence Collins will be healthy next year.Offense:Offensive Line: Do not move Bulaga, he was rated as one of the best right tackles in the league. Leave him at his position of strength. Left Tackle is a huge issue. Sherrod has got the leg issue, and Newhouse has to significantly improve (like his talent, just needs to become consistent, a big if).Running Back: Need better talent here. Wide Receiver: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb top 3. Let Jones walk. Draft a WR to step in in 2 years when Jennings leaves.Tight End: Do no sign Finley long term. I wouldn't franchise him, either. Would rahter franchise Flynn, as it is likely a team will give up a couple of picks.Quarterback: Flynn is as good as gone.
Jones has a multi year deal, he stays. Gurly comes in at #5Get some D line help, linebackers will look better.
First round DE? OLB? LT? DB?
Do we have 4 1st-rd picks? That would be awesome. ;)

........ But, ROLB seems the bigger "need", then DE.
I still contend it is the Dline that has to get better. That is the main difference from last year - the Dline could get pressure by just rushing 4. This year? Not so much. One decent DE and the Linebackers get better in a hurry
I agree with this. While another OLB is a huge need a DE is a bigger one. Should be the #1 priority in the draft/free agency.
Part of my reluctance there is I have not yet given up on Neal...have more confidence he can come back better than I do in Zombo, Walden, Jones doing anything.

Wells was definitely the best/most consistent lineman this past year.I wonder what taking Finley away would do to the offense though. I know he disappointed expectations(not sure if these expectations were valid to begin with, speaking to the bump finley crowds), but he is a huge target and a great athlete. Take him out of the equation, Driver being 37, and it could severely hurt that passing attack. Add to that Jennings is a UFA after 2013, and isn't a young pup anymore, and TT has to figure out a plan for the skill players. Nelson/Jones/Cobb doesn't look as appealing to me anyway.Woodson at FS and Burnett at SS is very interesting. However, they still need to find a legit CB3 because Woodson was a playmaker(although I think his skills may be deteriorating).What are you looking for them to fill on Defense? OLB, CB3, S, DE???Losing coaches is interesting as well, I would assume Reggie McKenzie is going to take a few in Oakland.
And defenitely agree that if Woodson goes to safety, they need to find a CB3. Bush is not it. He is decent near the LOS, but sucks in coverage.
My hunch is if Woodson does move to safety, they roll into the season with Davon House and hope he's ready to take that leap. That's my hunch.
Possible...just hope they don't bank everything on all of these guys improving (House, Neal, Zombo, So'to).Its ok to hope one of them works out, but when its several you are counting on and it does not go well, it really screws them (did this year a bit too).

If they tag or re-sign Finley they're idiots--as are any Packer fans thinking they can sign and get a #1 pick for Finley (lmao).
C'mon man, don't ruin this thread.
So you think they should tag Finley? It's a legitimate point.
Yes, they should. Finley is only 24 and still has potential. He just too good to let go, regardless of the drops this year. I'm willing to give him another year.

Wells was definitely the best/most consistent lineman this past year.I wonder what taking Finley away would do to the offense though. I know he disappointed expectations(not sure if these expectations were valid to begin with, speaking to the bump finley crowds), but he is a huge target and a great athlete. Take him out of the equation, Driver being 37, and it could severely hurt that passing attack. Add to that Jennings is a UFA after 2013, and isn't a young pup anymore, and TT has to figure out a plan for the skill players. Nelson/Jones/Cobb doesn't look as appealing to me anyway.Woodson at FS and Burnett at SS is very interesting. However, they still need to find a legit CB3 because Woodson was a playmaker(although I think his skills may be deteriorating).What are you looking for them to fill on Defense? OLB, CB3, S, DE???Losing coaches is interesting as well, I would assume Reggie McKenzie is going to take a few in Oakland.
And defenitely agree that if Woodson goes to safety, they need to find a CB3. Bush is not it. He is decent near the LOS, but sucks in coverage.
My hunch is if Woodson does move to safety, they roll into the season with Davon House and hope he's ready to take that leap. That's my hunch.
Possible...just hope they don't bank everything on all of these guys improving (House, Neal, Zombo, So'to).Its ok to hope one of them works out, but when its several you are counting on and it does not go well, it really screws them (did this year a bit too).
How long do you keep around the trio of Jones, Walden, and Zombo as they haven't been successful thus far?

........ But, ROLB seems the bigger "need", then DE.
I still contend it is the Dline that has to get better. That is the main difference from last year - the Dline could get pressure by just rushing 4. This year? Not so much. One decent DE and the Linebackers get better in a hurry
I agree with this. While another OLB is a huge need a DE is a bigger one. Should be the #1 priority in the draft/free agency.
Part of my reluctance there is I have not yet given up on Neal...have more confidence he can come back better than I do in Zombo, Walden, Jones doing anything.
While I thought Neal was a bit of a reach, he was still a second round pick that's battled injuries the past two years. I think he at least gets another year to prove his worth before they draft his replacement in the higher rounds.

How long do you keep around the trio of Jones, Walden, and Zombo as they haven't been successful thus far?
IMO...let Jones go...not great and always hurt.Walden's off the field issues, no matter the outcome of the trial may signal his end.He may have just been the flash in the pan during the one Chicago game.Zombo...average guy and just depth.Fans love So'oto...but ther eis a reason the guy could not see the field.He is pass rush only, can't cover well or stop the run.Will also be interesting what happens with the coaches.If Capers goes, do they keep the 3-4?

You either have good hands or you don't. Finley doesn't. It doesn't matter if he's young. All that means is he's a young player with good measurables but crappy hands. Not remotely worth tag money.

They did ok last year (when the pack dline played well)

I'm going to go out on a limb and simply say that everything people have been posting is "correct". But, when has Thompson done the "correct" thing that fans think be should do?

With that in mind I think Thompson will do something that nobody is even thinking about. What is that? Trading up in the first round to draft Trent Richardson. The running game has been terrible the last two years. Starks got lucky last year and caught teams off guard. Grant, while good, cannot break the tackles that the OL forces him into. Plus, the offense does not utilize Grant optimally. Using play action for one, committing to any kind of run game and such. Where did the Packers rank in running this season taking Rodgers yards out of the equation?

I think thompson looks to improve the running game big time as ball control will keep the offense effective but two-dimensional. Ball control helps the defense as well. This is what I see happening.

I'm going to go out on a limb and simply say that everything people have been posting is "correct". But, when has Thompson done the "correct" thing that fans think be should do? With that in mind I think Thompson will do something that nobody is even thinking about. What is that? Trading up in the first round to draft Trent Richardson. The running game has been terrible the last two years. Starks got lucky last year and caught teams off guard. Grant, while good, cannot break the tackles that the OL forces him into. Plus, the offense does not utilize Grant optimally. Using play action for one, committing to any kind of run game and such. Where did the Packers rank in running this season taking Rodgers yards out of the equation?I think thompson looks to improve the running game big time as ball control will keep the offense effective but two-dimensional. Ball control helps the defense as well. This is what I see happening.
I don't see him trading up as high as he would have to...and not for a RB.

So, we know the Packers have the 28th pick...does anyone know how many picks they have upcoming and then lets try and do an educated guess on compensatory picks.

I personally believe they will trade Flynn and get a pick or picks for him, but lets go with what we know.

I recall they made a trade before cutdowns but am not sure if it was voided or not.

I expect them to get two compensatory picks, one an early 4th (Jenkins) and the other a 5th (can't remember the name of the guard who went to Arizona).

So, 10(?) picks with Thompson able to maneuver with 8. I do expect them to trade for Oaklands 4th in order to get McKenzie additional picks on Oakland. Just seems like the most obvious scenario.

Anyone have more info on where I am going with this or if some of what I remember is incorrect (the oakland trade part being speculation of course.)

Also, how good is this upcoming draft from a 3-4 defensive standpoint and the Packers needs?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to go out on a limb and simply say that everything people have been posting is "correct". But, when has Thompson done the "correct" thing that fans think be should do? With that in mind I think Thompson will do something that nobody is even thinking about. What is that? Trading up in the first round to draft Trent Richardson. The running game has been terrible the last two years. Starks got lucky last year and caught teams off guard. Grant, while good, cannot break the tackles that the OL forces him into. Plus, the offense does not utilize Grant optimally. Using play action for one, committing to any kind of run game and such. Where did the Packers rank in running this season taking Rodgers yards out of the equation?I think thompson looks to improve the running game big time as ball control will keep the offense effective but two-dimensional. Ball control helps the defense as well. This is what I see happening.
Drafting Trent Richardson that high doesn't make sense.1) The Packers are a passing team, so how much would he be utilized?2) The Packers just invested a 3rd round pick in Alex Green last year(I know he is injured), but drafting Richardson would be giving up on a 3rd round pick just last year.3) Trading up isn't TT's MO4) Trading up would neglect many other need areas where the Packers have holes currently: DE, OLB, S, 3CB, OL, etc. Would you really want to give up(just guessing your whole draft, plus a 2013 1st) many draft picks for a luxury versus fixing needs?

IMO...let Jones go...not great and always hurt.Walden's off the field issues, no matter the outcome of the trial may signal his end.He may have just been the flash in the pan during the one Chicago game.Zombo...average guy and just depth.Fans love So'oto...but ther eis a reason the guy could not see the field.He is pass rush only, can't cover well or stop the run.Will also be interesting what happens with the coaches.If Capers goes, do they keep the 3-4?
What are the odds Capers is gone?

Drafting Trent Richardson that high doesn't make sense.1) The Packers are a passing team, so how much would he be utilized?2) The Packers just invested a 3rd round pick in Alex Green last year(I know he is injured), but drafting Richardson would be giving up on a 3rd round pick just last year.3) Trading up isn't TT's MO4) Trading up would neglect many other need areas where the Packers have holes currently: DE, OLB, S, 3CB, OL, etc. Would you really want to give up(just guessing your whole draft, plus a 2013 1st) many draft picks for a luxury versus fixing needs?
What he said. The Pack might pick a RB if he fell down the draft (arod anyone?) but they wont trade up significantly for one. It's not their team style and they need defensive help way more than offensive help.

Zero, unless some team offers him the HC
31st ranked defense doesn't have you worried moving forward? He has to get some blame, I know he was a huge reason why they won the super bowl though.
I don't see it that way - I see no DE and no ROLB on that team. The DLine could not get rush by themselves. Woodson is older and Collins is gone. Did he go from Genius last year to Putz this year? I don't think so.

Zero, unless some team offers him the HC
31st ranked defense doesn't have you worried moving forward? He has to get some blame, I know he was a huge reason why they won the super bowl though.
I don't see it that way - I see no DE and no ROLB on that team. The DLine could not get rush by themselves. Woodson is older and Collins is gone. Did he go from Genius last year to Putz this year? I don't think so.
One could say that about a lot of teams. Was Jim Caldwell the issue this season? Or was it losing key personnel Peyton Manning, Dallas Clark, he didn't have a ton of young pieces when he inherited the team, etc.I'd say it's somewhere in the middle then. They may have been a little lucky or overachieved last year and underachieved this year. Either way I don't think he gets canned, but I would think some of the coaches move(either by upgrading to another team or the Packers look to improve)

I agree with you but why wouldn't he tag him? Lotta teams need a quarterback and as limited as his play has been, he is much more proven than any rookie.

Tell me why TT doesn't get at least a number one pick for Flynn.
Teams in need of a QB:-Washington-Seattle-Miami-Indy-ClevelandAvailable QBs:Peyton Manning(Miami)-Andrew Luck(Indy)-RBIII(Washington)Other Rookie QBs:-Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M-Nick Foles Arizona-Kirk Cousins Michigan State-Brock Osweiler Arizona State-Kellen Moore Boise State-BJ Coleman UT ChattanoogaAll expected to be 4th round picks or higherOther notable UFA:-Kyle Orton-Jason Campbell-Donovan McNabb-David GarrardThat would leave only 2 teams in Seattle/Cleveland that could use a QB. Seattle just paid T. Jackson starter money last year and Cleveland that has Colt McCoy who just completed his second season. Pair up a 2nd/3rd round rookie QB or a fringe starting QB and it's a lot cheaper than paying a 1st/2nd round pick plus a bunch of guaranteed money for a guy with two career starts.

I agree with you but why wouldn't he tag him? Lotta teams need a quarterback and as limited as his play has been, he is much more proven than any rookie.
Because they'd have to pay him just under 15 million for 2012 which is significantly higher than what Rodgers is making. It's a risky move.

Because they'd have to pay him just under 15 million for 2012 which is significantly higher than what Rodgers is making. It's a risky move.
Oh yeah that's the other thing, if teams call Green Bays bluff. Then they're in the hole for a huge chunk that could be used to resign Wells/Finley/Grant/etc

Oh yeah that's the other thing, if teams call Green Bays bluff. Then they're in the hole for a huge chunk that could be used to resign Wells/Finley/Grant/etc
Benson - this is off topic but i just want to add that I appreciate your refreshing posts here in this thread. You've brought some great insight on the Packers. Honestly, I think you know more about them than I do (and I live here) and i'm surprised you know so much for a non-Packers homer. Keep up the great posts. I know we may have got off on the wrong foot but I hope we can put that aside.

What the Packers need this offseason is some good fans. I live in a state bordering Wisconsin with a lot of transplants living here. Nearly every Packers fan acts like if you are not a Packers fan you can't possibly be a real fan because they have the only true real fans. It's insane! They are almost all like this! I have watched football since before I could talk and I guarantee I know more about the Packers than almost every Packer fan out there! Now all I hear is whining out of these annoying cheeseheads. The 99% bad ruin it for the 1% good fans the Packers actually have.

What the Packers need this offseason is some good fans. I live in a state bordering Wisconsin with a lot of transplants living here. Nearly every Packers fan acts like if you are not a Packers fan you can't possibly be a real fan because they have the only true real fans. It's insane! They are almost all like this! I have watched football since before I could talk and I guarantee I know more about the Packers than almost every Packer fan out there! Now all I hear is whining out of these annoying cheeseheads. The 99% bad ruin it for the 1% good fans the Packers actually have.
thanks for adding to the conversation. Posters like you make this forum what it is.

And reading the link you posted above from Brandt...looks like the tag and trade practice is frowned upon by the league.

And reading the link you posted above from Brandt...looks like the tag and trade practice is frowned upon by the league.
Yep I read that as well, the Packers generally don't challenge the league either on this of this nature.

Benson - this is off topic but i just want to add that I appreciate your refreshing posts here in this thread. You've brought some great insight on the Packers. Honestly, I think you know more about them than I do (and I live here) and i'm surprised you know so much for a non-Packers homer. Keep up the great posts. I know we may have got off on the wrong foot but I hope we can put that aside.
Thank you. I know I have my moments of being a @%^$^#, but overall I just like to debate. I think it brings out more information for everyone to learn. Being from Wisconsin for most of my life and being a Bears fan=learning quite a bit about the Packers.I'm hoping we all can put stuff aside and have some good football conversations moving forward. I appreciate your post.

thanks for adding to the conversation. Posters like you make this forum what it is.
:lmao:

:lmao:
No problem. Anytime I can contribute.

JS Today

Green Bay - They framed it in all different kinds of ways, but in dissecting the failure of the Green Bay Packers defense this season, its players and coaches kept coming back to the same thing.

No pass rush.

They may not admit to it, but behind their words the message for general manager Ted Thompson was to find help this off-season. Departed end Cullen Jenkins' name was brought up so many times Monday that you would have thought he was still playing for the team.

Thompson let the team's best pass-rushing defensive lineman go last year despite his cost dropping dramatically in the free-agent market to a very affordable $5 million a year, which is what the Philadelphia Eagles paid to sign him.

Playing all 16 games for just the second time in four years, Jenkins had 51/2 sacks for the Eagles, exactly one-half sack fewer than the total of the entire Packers defensive line. From inside the locker room and out, the absence of a pass rush was on everybody's mind when it came to analyzing the NFL's 32nd-ranked defense.

D Line is what they will address first - either through fa or draft, or both

Some speculation on the Packer blog today. If the Eagles do indeed cut Cullen Jenkins, any hypothetical interest from Green Bay?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/137580733.html

Packers might get another shot at Jenkins

Jan. 18, 2012 |(110) COMMENTS

Green Bay - Among the players and coaches, there seemed to be agreement that the Packers missed DE Cullen Jenkins this past season.

Jenkins departed in free agency after the Packers basically ignored him following the expiration of his contract in 2011. Though he was seeking more money than the Packers were willing to spend, he wound up signing a very modest five-year, $25 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles that the Packers could have easily afforded.

General manager Ted Thompson rarely regrets any move because of the amount of thought he gives to every one, but it's clear to most everybody this one was a mistake. It might have been the difference between the Packers being out of the playoffs and facing the San Francisco 49ers this week.

Even if it isn't, the Packers definitely missed Jenkins' pass rush ability.

Well, they may have a shot at correcting that error.

Jenkins has a $5 million roster bonus due on the first day of the 2012 league year and it's questionable whether the Eagles will pay it. They would not take a salary cap hit if they chose not to pay it and allowed Jenkins to become a free agent because there was no signing bonus in the original deal.

The Eagles have a decent amount of cap room left for next season, but they need to sign WR DeSean Jackson, who is an unrestricted free agent, and they probably will re-do DE Trent Cole's deal before the start of the 2012 season.

By releasing Jenkins, the Eagles would gain $7.75 million in cap space.

They could ask Jenkins to restructure the deal and convert the roster bonus into a signing bonus, which shink his 2012 cap number to $4 million. But Jenkins would have to agree to it.

Given Jenkins' popularity in the locker room and his strong desire last year to want to return to the Packers, he would undoubtedly consider signing a free agent deal with Green Bay. It probably would cost the Packers a lot less than what the Eagles paid given Jenkins turns 31 in two days.

Signing Jenkins would provide insurance if DE Mike Neal doesn't pan out and Thompson isn't able to get an end in the first round of the draft. Even if Neal and a first-round pick were added, Jenkins was highly respected in the locker room and would definitely be a good tutor for the younger players.

Jenkins wouldn't be the first player to come back his original team after departing.

New England WR Deion Branch was traded to Seattle after a contract dispute and then returned two years ago and re-established his relationship with Tom Brady. The Miami Dolphins brought back DE Jason Taylor twice after he switched teams.

It's all very hypothetical, but it's something worth keeping an eye on this off-season.

31 is the obstacle with Jenkins.

But a proven guy to rotate in (not like Pickett is getting any younger)...keep the others fresh and not rely so much on Neal improving and keep the pressure off of him.

I think most fans would be all for it.

My link

Who could Packers promote from within?

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 20, 2012

Green Bay -- All signs point to Joe Philbin heading to South Beach as the Miami Dolphins' new head coach. After going through an unimaginable tragedy, the long-time assistant finally gets a well-deserved opportunity to run the show. With the Packers, he was a key behind-the-scenes force in building one of the NFL's best offenses.

Philbin began as the offensive line coach in Green Bay in 2003, eventually taking over as offensive coordinator in 2006.

Who would take his spot? If the Packers choose to promote from within, here are the candidates:

Tom Clements (QB coach) --- Clements has also interviewed for other jobs and could potentially join Philbin in Miami. He's only been an offensive coordinator once, with the Buffalo Bills 2004-05. In Green Bay, Clements has been a key player in Aaron Rodgers' growth. At this point in his career, Clements may want to call plays wherever he goes. In Green Bay, with Mike McCarthy at the helm, he wouldn't have that opportunity.

Edgar Bennett (WR coach) --- After coaching the running backs since 2005, Bennett took over as the wide receivers coach this season. From day one, Bennett emphasized fundamentals. For most of the season, the wide receivers' drops were relatively low. His loaded position group combined for 38 touchdowns and seemed to co-exist on and off the field without problems. After coaching two positions under McCarthy, Bennett may be the front-runner.

Ben McAdoo (TE coach) --- McAdoo has coached tight ends in Green Bay since 2006 and helped oversee Jermichael Finley's development. Historically, Green Bay's tight ends coaches have advanced. Philbin served as the Packers tight ends coach in 2004-05 while eventual head coaches Andy Reid and Mike Sherman also held this position.

Jerry Fontenot (RB coach) --- After four years as an assistant offensive line coach, Fontenot supplanted Bennett with the running backs. Up until the Packers' 37-20 playoff loss to New York, his backs did a remarkable job hanging onto the football. Green Bay rarely leaned on the run at all this season, but its running backs only lost two fumbles throughout the entire regular season.

James Campen (OL coach) --- Give Campen credit for helping the Packers' line stay afloat through several injuries this season. When Chad Clifton went down in Week 5, Marshall Newhouse did an admirable job filling in and now appears to be the team's future at left tackle. Considering the Packers spread the field out so much with multiple receivers, Campen's job is critical. The linemen must win one-on-one match-ups.
Clements seems to be the obvious choice but has been interviewed by several other teams. My guess is he goes somewhere else to call plays. Under McCarthy he is always going to have the stigma that it's McCarthy's offense and it may hurt him if he wants to become a HC in the future. Didn't seem to hurt Philbin though.I've heard they are really high on McAdoo so he would be the next choice. Players like him and he is said to be very intelligent.

They also like Bennett's future but he's probably still too inexperienced for the position. Last year they moved him from RB coach to WR coach so he would gain more experience in the offense.

Despite the blurb there, I think its Clements unless Philbin takes him with.

I can see the Packers wanting to keep him around and finding a way to give him some sort of "power" rather than calling plays in order to retain him.

If they do lose him...Bennett seems like the guy according to that...just seems like a pretty quick rise for him...but he has been going through other positions with the team...so it would be a logical move.

Users who are viewing this thread