What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Packers Offseason (1 Viewer)

Despite the blurb there, I think its Clements unless Philbin takes him with.I can see the Packers wanting to keep him around and finding a way to give him some sort of "power" rather than calling plays in order to retain him.If they do lose him...Bennett seems like the guy according to that...just seems like a pretty quick rise for him...but he has been going through other positions with the team...so it would be a logical move.
Why would Clements leave with Philbin? Would you rather be OC in GB - with Rodgers, Jennings, Jordy, Finley, etc - or on the Dolphins? Which place are you more likely to have team success?

Despite the blurb there, I think its Clements unless Philbin takes him with.I can see the Packers wanting to keep him around and finding a way to give him some sort of "power" rather than calling plays in order to retain him.If they do lose him...Bennett seems like the guy according to that...just seems like a pretty quick rise for him...but he has been going through other positions with the team...so it would be a logical move.
Why would Clements leave with Philbin? Would you rather be OC in GB - with Rodgers, Jennings, Jordy, Finley, etc - or on the Dolphins? Which place are you more likely to have team success?
To be the OC and have a chance to call plays.Depends his overall aspirations as far as calling things and how much more power he would like as a coach.Though, you make a better point to have success...and ultimately move on to a head coach job, it would seem wiser to stay in GB.It also depends on if ownership there says they will do whatever it takes to get Flynn. Why not keep working with the QB you want...with a guy you know the offense for...and get to build.Both sides can make compelling arugments for that job (and if GB wants him as OC as well...they may have their eye elsewhere).

Despite the blurb there, I think its Clements unless Philbin takes him with.

I can see the Packers wanting to keep him around and finding a way to give him some sort of "power" rather than calling plays in order to retain him.

If they do lose him...Bennett seems like the guy according to that...just seems like a pretty quick rise for him...but he has been going through other positions with the team...so it would be a logical move.
I agree that it will probably be Clements. I would think McCarthy had some sort of agreement with Philbin who he could take with him. Clements would be a logical choice for Philbin as OC in Miami but would he rather have that than OC in Green Bay? Only reason that the Packers may not name him offensive coordinator is for continuity sake. Clements seems to be a hot name and may have head coaching opportunities next year. An interesting read on McAdoo:

My link

Ben McAdoo has the respect of the players

By Lori Nickel of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 21, 2012 6:30 a.m. |(3) Comments

Green Bay - With the news that respected Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin is leaving for Miami, Packers coach Mike McCarthy might consider promoting from within to fill the vacancy. JSOnline considered the potential candidates from the Green Bay staff.

A source familiar with the Packers' operation told Tom Silverstein it was expected that quarterbacks coach Tom Clements would replace Philbin, but having heard good things about tight ends coach Ben McAdoo, I happened to ask a few Packers about him in the final weeks of the regular season. They indicated he was an up-and-coming coach.

"He’s extremely intelligent," said rookie tight end D.J. Williams. "He does a great job coaching specific players. And when it comes to Xs and Os, he’s know his playbook like the back of his hand.

"He not only understands offense, he understands defense," said Williams. "He picks up tendencies. Say for instance, I’ll know if it’s third down and if I have a Sam linebacker outside of me, there’s a 34% chance they’ll play this coverage as soon as they snap. And if that’s not the case and the safety takes a step toward the left, I know how to run my route across the field or up the field to adjust. He knows all of that. He loves watching film. The NFL is full of talented players, we all get paid and we’re all professionals. And when it comes down to it, yes the players need to make plays but they need to be taught well."

The players say McAdoo is an excellent teacher.

"Ben is awesome, he really gets you ready," said rookie tight end Ryan Taylor. "It wasn’t like I was scrambling to catch up. I really felt prepared. He’s had me ready to go. He’s incredibly knowledgeable. He’s great at breaking it down. Coaches may throw a lot of information at you and you have to pick out what you actually need to know; Ben just breaks it down so it is very exact. He’s good at keeping us loose. Has a good sense ohumor which is good; if everybody is uptight and worries about messing up, you’re obviously not going to play as open as a team."
Seems like the Packers have a few up-and-comer coaching prospects. Clements, McAdoo, Bennett, Moss, etc.

JS has a pretty complete reviewof the Packers season

Or as the put it, Just Who is Responsible for this Title Killing effort defense?
Good too see someone else realizing how below average Hawk is. What would be the cap hit if they cut him?
Possibly the worst signing TT has ever made. Decision to draft him was bad enough at that slot (#5 overall), but compounding the error by giving him an extension was even worse.

Or as the put it, Just Who is Responsible for this Title Killing effort defense?
Good too see someone else realizing how below average Hawk is. What would be the cap hit if they cut him?
small. I think they already have pretty much absorbed his bonusI still don't think he is the biggest issue. You have a decent 3 or 4 man rush, everything looks better. Can't rush, other weak spots get exposed.

I'm a little late to the discussion but...

1) I think Green Bay should reconsider keeping Capers. I certainly can see a downgrade with the loss of Jenkins and Collins, but there's no excuse for a defense with Woodson, Matthews, Williams, Raji, etc to have ended dead last in the NFL. Bottom line is that he failed this season, completely. For whatever reason, Capers has lost this team and a few additions this offseason isn't going to get it back. Kind of the story of his coaching career-- one good season followed by mediocrity. Well, we got the good season, now let's move on.

2) It doesn't matter if Finley can outrun linebackers or outjump CBs if he can't catch. He can take his salary and twitter distractions elsewhere.

3) Driver needs to be told that he's a WR4-5, and if he's OK with that, keep him another season. If not, let him walk. He's already 1 year past his expiration date, as much as we love him.

4) Woodson is great at jumping routes, but he's clearly a liability in coverage, and simply cannot stay at CB. He should have been moved to safety already this season, especially after Collins got hurt.

Possibly the worst signing TT has ever made. Decision to draft him was bad enough at that slot (#5 overall), but compounding the error by giving him an extension was even worse.
We have gone through this before, but I was really hoping the Packers drafted Ngata in the draft. Just a monster for Baltimore, he would be huge in the Pack's D.

small. I think they already have pretty much absorbed his bonusI still don't think he is the biggest issue. You have a decent 3 or 4 man rush, everything looks better. Can't rush, other weak spots get exposed.
He has been a weak spot his entire career. It's not just in pass coverage, it's in stopping the run. He takes so long to diagnose a play, and then tiptoes around instead of filling the hole. Drives me crazy.Down Lineman in a 3-4 are not going to generate the sacks/hurries, it's the linebackers. And they have truly been the weak spot outside of Matthews and Bishop (when he is healthy). I would like to see the nose push the pocket a little, though. I think OLB opposite Matthews could be one of the biggest needs. And obviously an ILB next to Bishop, but I am pretty sure we are stuck with Hawk.

He has been a weak spot his entire career. It's not just in pass coverage, it's in stopping the run. He takes so long to diagnose a play, and then tiptoes around instead of filling the hole. Drives me crazy.Down Lineman in a 3-4 are not going to generate the sacks/hurries, it's the linebackers. And they have truly been the weak spot outside of Matthews and Bishop (when he is healthy). I would like to see the nose push the pocket a little, though. I think OLB opposite Matthews could be one of the biggest needs. And obviously an ILB next to Bishop, but I am pretty sure we are stuck with Hawk.
He got the contract based on his play last year...which was very good.He earned it as well as the respect of his teammates and coaches.

This year, he stepped back for sure...but was about the only defensive player that played worth a crap in the playoff game.

He got the contract based on his play last year...which was very good.He earned it as well as the respect of his teammates and coaches.

This year, he stepped back for sure...but was about the only defensive player that played worth a crap in the playoff game.
I disagree completely that he was anything but average in 2010. Watch where he makes his tackles. Watch him studder step and allow huge lanes for running backs. He has been that way his entire career. And I thought he had a pretty bad playoff game.There are alot of players that are respected by their teammates and coaches that make the veteran's minimum. I want players who are good football players.

'FavreAndAwayAnIdiot said:

1) I think Green Bay should reconsider keeping Capers. I certainly can see a downgrade with the loss of Jenkins and Collins, but there's no excuse for a defense with Woodson, Matthews, Williams, Raji, etc to have ended dead last in the NFL. Bottom line is that he failed this season, completely. For whatever reason, Capers has lost this team and a few additions this offseason isn't going to get it back. Kind of the story of his coaching career-- one good season followed by mediocrity. Well, we got the good season, now let's move on.
Charlie Casseryly just said on CBS that Oakland has asked to interview Dom Capers, but he hasn't interviewed yet.

'Balco said:
I disagree completely that he was anything but average in 2010. Watch where he makes his tackles. Watch him studder step and allow huge lanes for running backs. He has been that way his entire career. And I thought he had a pretty bad playoff game.There are alot of players that are respected by their teammates and coaches that make the veteran's minimum. I want players who are good football players.
Yep. Spot on.

Charlie Casseryly just said on CBS that Oakland has asked to interview Dom Capers, but he hasn't interviewed yet.
It really amazes me that Capers is being discussed as a coaching candidate after what occurred this season. He and his defense were an utter failure.

'Balco said:
Let me guess...you are going to claim he made all of his tackles 5 yards down field right?He was a tick above average in 2010. Not great...but certainly a solid player.A far cry from as bad as some of you painted him to be.This year...he was that bad...until the playoff game.

It really amazes me that Capers is being discussed as a coaching candidate after what occurred this season. He and his defense were an utter failure.
So in 2010 he was a genius...and in the span of a year should be fired?Makes little sense.

'Balco said:
Let me guess...you are going to claim he made all of his tackles 5 yards down field right?He was a tick above average in 2010. Not great...but certainly a solid player.A far cry from as bad as some of you painted him to be.This year...he was that bad...until the playoff game.
No, not all of them. Alot of them. He is not a very good player. It pains me to say. I just wish TT would recognize it and cut bait.

'Balco said:
No, not all of them. Alot of them. He is not a very good player. It pains me to say. I just wish TT would recognize it and cut bait.
I think last year he was a good solid player. Leader on and off the field.Not spectacular at all...but solid.This year he looked bad.Then again, so did Woodson down the stretch, Tramon, Shields, Raji....and so on.No need to cut bait. At worst, you keep him and keep him as solid experienced depth and for certain situations.

'Balco said:
I think last year he was a good solid player. Leader on and off the field.Not spectacular at all...but solid.This year he looked bad.Then again, so did Woodson down the stretch, Tramon, Shields, Raji....and so on.No need to cut bait. At worst, you keep him and keep him as solid experienced depth and for certain situations.
He was benched early in 2010. Remember? Sure, he regained the starting spot, but the dude was still benched. And he struggled all of 2010 - just like 2011 - anytime he had to cover someone. And he looked tentative taking on blockers and/or plugging gaps. Just like 2011. Nothing has changed - it's just that everyone else around him played worse in 2011.

He was benched early in 2010. Remember? Sure, he regained the starting spot, but the dude was still benched. And he struggled all of 2010 - just like 2011 - anytime he had to cover someone. And he looked tentative taking on blockers and/or plugging gaps. Just like 2011. Nothing has changed - it's just that everyone else around him played worse in 2011.
He was benched the first game (mainly because they went heavy with the nickel package and they were not using him as much in that as his coverage sucks...still does).He responded though later especially when Barnett went out and played well the rest of 2010.To claim his 2010 was so bad because he was benched the first game really does not tell the whole story.

Hawk is ok, that's it. He's not really any better than Brad Jones or Walden.
I think he is a bit better than them...and the big reason he is around (and even better than Jones) is he stays on the field. He rarely misses time.
i am with sho nuff on this one. Hawk is better than average. He has some limitations, but knows the defense and his roll. Should he be paid less? Perhaps. But there are about five other issues to address first on defense. Hawk will be ok if they do that

Hawk is ok, that's it. He's not really any better than Brad Jones or Walden.
I think he is a bit better than them...and the big reason he is around (and even better than Jones) is he stays on the field. He rarely misses time.
i am with sho nuff on this one. Hawk is better than average. He has some limitations, but knows the defense and his roll. Should he be paid less? Perhaps. But there are about five other issues to address first on defense. Hawk will be ok if they do that
His bonus is paid...so his cap number, while up there...is still livable if they have the space to keep him for depth if nothing more.Id love to see more of DJ Smitth.And Hawk's health is why he is here and not Barnett too IMO.

Jim Irwin, long time voice of the Packers, has passed away.

He was the quintessential "voice" when I was growing up.

Irwin faced a battle with kidney cancer and had recently received hospice care in Southern California.

Irwin came to Newsradio 620 WTMJ and TODAY'S TMJ4 in 1969 after covering sports on television at WLUK-TV in Green Bay.

His first assignment was giving color commentary on 620WTMJ's Packers Radio Network broadcasts with Ted Moore.

After Moore departed to become the radio voice of the Baltimore Colts in 1970, Irwin worked with Gary Bender, who eventually became a voice of the NFL, NBA, NCAA football/basketball and the Olympics on ABC and CBS Sports.

When Bender left in 1975, Irwin slid over to the play-by-play microphone, initially working with color commentator Lionel Aldridge, a former Packers defensive end, TODAY'S TMJ4 sports anchor and NBC Sports commentator.

Irwin wouldn't give up that job for 24 years, working with former Packers wide receiver Max McGee for the final 20 of those seasons.

He was benched the first game (mainly because they went heavy with the nickel package and they were not using him as much in that as his coverage sucks...still does).He responded though later especially when Barnett went out and played well the rest of 2010.To claim his 2010 was so bad because he was benched the first game really does not tell the whole story.
It's not accurate to say Hawk was "benched" in any event. There was one game (2010 opener) in which he didn't play because they spent the entire game in the nickel and dime. Hawk has been a starter in the Packers base defense, whether 3~4 or 4-3, since the day he was drafted.

i hope ted loads up on a great d players and maybe a rb or two and then we can get about to number 4 in the league in d next year and obliterate the spirits of our opponents and see them driven before us and hear the lamentations of thier women conan the packbarian style take it to the bank red sonyas

It's not accurate to say Hawk was "benched" in any event. There was one game (2010 opener) in which he didn't play because they spent the entire game in the nickel and dime. Hawk has been a starter in the Packers base defense, whether 3~4 or 4-3, since the day he was drafted.
He didn't start game 1 of 2010. When a former starter doesn't get to start a game, most people call that a "benching."

He didn't start game 1 of 2010. When a former starter doesn't get to start a game, most people call that a "benching."
you are trolling but you are benched if you are sat out a whole game because you stunk up the joint the week before or missed a deadline or something but not starting does not equal being benched it just means that someone else started and then he came in when they ran his package think of it like this just because you are not the first poster in a thread does not mean you were benched from the thread it just means that you didnot start the thread but you can still get in there and post in it and try to show why you should get to start the next post you see what i mean so take it to the bank

I guess its mostly semantics then, but I would refer to Sam Shields as a "nickel back" rather than a "starter". The Packers defense is commonly referred to as a 3-4, even though Capers has them in sub packages more often than not.

'smackdaddies said:

Irwin faced a battle with kidney cancer and had recently received hospice care in Southern California.

Irwin came to Newsradio 620 WTMJ and TODAY'S TMJ4 in 1969 after covering sports on television at WLUK-TV in Green Bay.

His first assignment was giving color commentary on 620WTMJ's Packers Radio Network broadcasts with Ted Moore.

After Moore departed to become the radio voice of the Baltimore Colts in 1970, Irwin worked with Gary Bender, who eventually became a voice of the NFL, NBA, NCAA football/basketball and the Olympics on ABC and CBS Sports.

When Bender left in 1975, Irwin slid over to the play-by-play microphone, initially working with color commentator Lionel Aldridge, a former Packers defensive end, TODAY'S TMJ4 sports anchor and NBC Sports commentator.

Irwin wouldn't give up that job for 24 years, working with former Packers wide receiver Max McGee for the final 20 of those seasons.
RIP JimMany Packer fans would turn off the sound on the TV and listen to Jim and Max on the radio.

They were THE BEST.

So in 2010 he was a genius...and in the span of a year should be fired?Makes little sense.
...so we choose to overlook complete failure? I'd say last year showed he has the players/ability to field a top defense, so this year it should have been at least average. His secondary was getting owned even before Collins went down, so I won't count him. And Jenkins isn't an All-Pro player, or even a Pro-Bowl player.To me, it shows that Dom Capers completely failed, and that should be troubling to anyone when you look at things in perspective. This defense was utterly inept for the vast majority of the year, despite having 95% of the pieces it had last year. Maybe Capers was thinking about his next job? Maybe he's distracted by something? Maybe the guys just are sick of his scheme or his coaching tactics? I really don't care what he did in 2010 when you look at the total collapse that occurred THIS season. I just don't see how you can give Capers a pass after what happened this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

...so we choose to overlook complete failure? I'd say last year showed he has the players/ability to field a top defense, so this year it should have been at least average. His secondary was getting owned even before Collins went down, so I won't count him. And Jenkins isn't an All-Pro player, or even a Pro-Bowl player.To me, it shows that Dom Capers completely failed, and that should be troubling to anyone when you look at things in perspective. This defense was utterly inept for the vast majority of the year, despite having 95% of the pieces it had last year. Maybe Capers was thinking about his next job? Maybe he's distracted by something? Maybe the guys just are sick of his scheme or his coaching tactics? I really don't care what he did in 2010 when you look at the total collapse that occurred THIS season. I just don't see how you can give Capers a pass after what happened this year.
I think I choose to not just blame one man for the failures on defense.Read McGinn's article.

It was a total failure on all parts.

Capers was a part of it...Thompson was another...and last but not least the players that so many keep trying to excuse for their play at times.

His secondary got owned because they had no pass rush (though, I think you are underestimating the loss of Collins on the year).

Jenkins may not be those things, but do you deny the impact he made from that position? Both in pass rush and in taking on guys to free up others (like Raji and Matthews and the other OLB spot that was more productive with the same guys last year than it was this year?).

Should he be on the hot seat if it continues? Sure...fire him though because of that bad year after the way 2010 went or reconsider keeping him at this point? No, that is knee jerk reactionary type stuff.

Coaches coach and players play...Id put more blame on the players than on Dom Capers.

I don't give him a pass...I just think firing him is a mindnumbingly terrible idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
'SWC said:
'Alex P Keaton said:
'CletiusMaximus said:
you are trolling but you are benched if you are sat out a whole game because you stunk up the joint the week before or missed a deadline or something but not starting does not equal being benched it just means that someone else started and then he came in when they ran his package think of it like this just because you are not the first poster in a thread does not mean you were benched from the thread it just means that you didnot start the thread but you can still get in there and post in it and try to show why you should get to start the next post you see what i mean so take it to the bank
You might disagree with my view, but I'm not trolling. That's just a stupid thing to write.

'CletiusMaximus said:
'Alex P Keaton said:
'CletiusMaximus said:
I guess its mostly semantics then, but I would refer to Sam Shields as a "nickel back" rather than a "starter". The Packers defense is commonly referred to as a 3-4, even though Capers has them in sub packages more often than not.
Fair enough. I disagree - go back and read what was being said about Hawk's limitations going into week 1 and immediately after - but do agree that Hawk wasn't abysmal in 2010. He was ok.

'smackdaddies said:

RIP JimMany Packer fans would turn off the sound on the TV and listen to Jim and Max on the radio.

They were THE BEST.
Yep, we rarely bothered listening to the TV. Jim & Max were infinitely better. Especially in earlier days when Max drank more. ;) RIP Jim.

'smackdaddies said:

They were THE BEST.
Yep, we rarely bothered listening to the TV. Jim & Max were infinitely better. Especially in earlier days when Max drank more. ;) RIP Jim.
:goodposting: Remember my "step" grandfather always had his radio headphones on at the games...loved listening to Jim and Max while in Lambeau.

Though, I think some of it was he did not want to listen to the guy that sat behind him all game.

I think I choose to not just blame one man for the failures on defense.Read McGinn's article.

It was a total failure on all parts.

Capers was a part of it...Thompson was another...and last but not least the players that so many keep trying to excuse for their play at times.

His secondary got owned because they had no pass rush (though, I think you are underestimating the loss of Collins on the year).

Jenkins may not be those things, but do you deny the impact he made from that position? Both in pass rush and in taking on guys to free up others (like Raji and Matthews and the other OLB spot that was more productive with the same guys last year than it was this year?).

Should he be on the hot seat if it continues? Sure...fire him though because of that bad year after the way 2010 went or reconsider keeping him at this point? No, that is knee jerk reactionary type stuff.

Coaches coach and players play...Id put more blame on the players than on Dom Capers.

I don't give him a pass...I just think firing him is a mindnumbingly terrible idea.
Largely agree with sho', though also understand the other perspective. Capers didn't exactly do a stellar job this year. So who is to blame - TT or Capers? Or both? Who deserves more of the blame? BTW - wasn't our 2009 D even better?

Largely agree with sho', though also understand the other perspective. Capers didn't exactly do a stellar job this year. So who is to blame - TT or Capers? Or both? Who deserves more of the blame? BTW - wasn't our 2009 D even better?
Our 2009 D was pretty similar to this year.How many QBs tore up that secondary?As I said, 2010 earned Capers some time for sure. I don't think you play that well on D and it does not have something to do with Capers.2009 he gets the pass being new into the system...and we saw some good things, but many of the same problems that showed up in 2011 (mistakes in coverage...impossible to cover the middle of the field...).Also as I said...I think its Capers, TT, and the players.Can we blame Capers or TT that Shields and Tramon took a ton of chances and it did not pay off? That Peprah could not tackle this year? That Hawk played worse? That Raji had very little impact? That Neal got hurt (well, can kind of blame TT there for not signing Jenkins).That Jones/Walden/Zombo showed absolutely no progression this year?I think there is plenty of blame to go around for sure.

'SWC said:
'Alex P Keaton said:
'CletiusMaximus said:
You might disagree with my view, but I'm not trolling. That's just a stupid thing to write.
sorry for being stupid i guess i just am stupid my bad man you might disagree with my opinion but even if i am stupid its not a cool thing to write have a good day there all star and i hope you treat others better than you act around here but hey you are not trolling

OLB - 1st pick in the draft for the Pack, unless they go Dline -

Good article on the Packers today in the JS

Green Bay -- The Packers' needs on defense this off-season are fairly obvious. Defensive coordinator Dom Capers needs a pass-rushing threat opposite Clay Matthews and a reliable 3-4 defensive end. Resurrecting the league's 32nd-ranked defense starts there.

Well, Green Bay didn't need to wait long for a first look at new blood.

Senior Bowl Week in Mobile, Ala., wraps up with Saturday's game at 3 p.m. (CST) on NFL Network and there are plenty of potential 3-4 rushers to analyze. NFL.com's Pat Kirwan broke down six rushers this week that could be drafted in the first four rounds:

--- The two top, South Carolina's Melvin Ingram and Alabama's Courtney Upshaw, didn't disappoint. Ingram "couldn't be blocked" at Tuesday's practice as Kirwan compared him to Pittsburgh's Lamarr Woodley. Ingram's variety of pass-rush moves make him dangerous, while Upshaw relies more on "pure strength" than quickness.

--- One player to keep an eye on is Boise State's Shea McClellin, a 248-pounder who saw time at end and outside linebacker at practice. A tight end in high school, McClellin is "one of the most intriguing hybrid players" at the Senior Bowl, Kirwan says. Some astute observations here, too. At practice, McClellin motored past a pulling guard when his hand was on the ground and also showed bull-rushed a tackle out of a two-point stance. McClellin stood out to one of the best linebackers ever.

"Let me just say this, if [McClellin] wants to play D-line, he can play D-line," Vikings linebackers coach Mike Singletary told CBS Sports' Rob Rang. "If he wants to play linebacker, he can play linebacker. He is the kind of guy that can fit either way.

"He's a guy that right now is about 255 pounds. He can pick up and go to 275 and go back to D-line or he can stay where he's at. He's got a lot of good stuff ahead of him because he's also a worker. You find a guy like him with his versatility and intangibles -- he's also a smart kid -- and he's going to be just fine at the next level."

--- Arkansas' Jake Bequette projects as a middle-round pick after 30 tackles for loss and 22 sacks in college. And Kirwan also notes North Carolina State's Audie Cole as a player who can play both inside and outside linebacker. Game reps will be telling for him Saturday.

If the Pack thinks they can get a decent OLB later in the draft, they will go Dline. If not, they will go OLB (assuming they fall to their pick)

Pretty sure this year is BDPA (Best Defensive Player Available)

Largely agree with sho', though also understand the other perspective. Capers didn't exactly do a stellar job this year. So who is to blame - TT or Capers? Or both? Who deserves more of the blame?

BTW - wasn't our 2009 D even better?
Our 2009 D was pretty similar to this year.How many QBs tore up that secondary?

As I said, 2010 earned Capers some time for sure. I don't think you play that well on D and it does not have something to do with Capers.2009 he gets the pass being new into the system...and we saw some good things, but many of the same problems that showed up in 2011 (mistakes in coverage...impossible to cover the middle of the field...).

Also as I said...I think its Capers, TT, and the players.

Can we blame Capers or TT that Shields and Tramon took a ton of chances and it did not pay off? That Peprah could not tackle this year? That Hawk played worse? That Raji had very little impact? That Neal got hurt (well, can kind of blame TT there for not signing Jenkins).

That Jones/Walden/Zombo showed absolutely no progression this year?

I think there is plenty of blame to go around for sure.
Your memory appears to be faulty sho. In 2009, we had the #2 overall defense in terms of yards allowed. We had the #1 rushing defense and the #5 passing defense. That was also the year Woodson was Defensive MVP.http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2009&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go

sorry for being stupid i guess i just am stupid my bad man you might disagree with my opinion but even if i am stupid its not a cool thing to write have a good day there all star and i hope you treat others better than you act around here but hey you are not trolling
:lmao: I'll just take your word for it.

Green Bay -- The Packers' needs on defense this off-season are fairly obvious. Defensive coordinator Dom Capers needs a pass-rushing threat opposite Clay Matthews and a reliable 3-4 defensive end. Resurrecting the league's 32nd-ranked defense starts there.

Senior Bowl Week in Mobile, Ala., wraps up with Saturday's game at 3 p.m. (CST) on NFL Network and there are plenty of potential 3-4 rushers to analyze. NFL.com's Pat Kirwan broke down six rushers this week that could be drafted in the first four rounds:

--- The two top, South Carolina's Melvin Ingram and Alabama's Courtney Upshaw, didn't disappoint. Ingram "couldn't be blocked" at Tuesday's practice as Kirwan compared him to Pittsburgh's Lamarr Woodley. Ingram's variety of pass-rush moves make him dangerous, while Upshaw relies more on "pure strength" than quickness.

--- One player to keep an eye on is Boise State's Shea McClellin, a 248-pounder who saw time at end and outside linebacker at practice. A tight end in high school, McClellin is "one of the most intriguing hybrid players" at the Senior Bowl, Kirwan says. Some astute observations here, too. At practice, McClellin motored past a pulling guard when his hand was on the ground and also showed bull-rushed a tackle out of a two-point stance. McClellin stood out to one of the best linebackers ever.

"Let me just say this, if [McClellin] wants to play D-line, he can play D-line," Vikings linebackers coach Mike Singletary told CBS Sports' Rob Rang. "If he wants to play linebacker, he can play linebacker. He is the kind of guy that can fit either way.

"He's a guy that right now is about 255 pounds. He can pick up and go to 275 and go back to D-line or he can stay where he's at. He's got a lot of good stuff ahead of him because he's also a worker. You find a guy like him with his versatility and intangibles -- he's also a smart kid -- and he's going to be just fine at the next level."

--- Arkansas' Jake Bequette projects as a middle-round pick after 30 tackles for loss and 22 sacks in college. And Kirwan also notes North Carolina State's Audie Cole as a player who can play both inside and outside linebacker. Game reps will be telling for him Saturday.

If the Pack thinks they can get a decent OLB later in the draft, they will go Dline. If not, they will go OLB (assuming they fall to their pick)

Very interesting, thanks for posting smack. Does anyone think TT would select McClellin? Any idea what round he is expected to go in? Imagine Ingram paired up with Matthews.....darn.

Very interesting, thanks for posting smack. Does anyone think TT would select McClellin? Any idea what round he is expected to go in? Imagine Ingram paired up with Matthews.....darn.
Interesting piece, what are the thoughts about Driver and his 2.5 million bonus?

Users who are viewing this thread