What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Coach Otis All-Value Team <(^v^)> (1 Viewer)

Great work as always coach. I don't understand why you aren't on the FBG staff. I can only assume Joe and David can't afford you.

Coach Otis - Long time, first time. I play auction leagues. What is the equivalent of throwing away my first pick in that format?
Scott,

Thanks for calling. I'd recommend you make an announcement to the league that you're donating half your auction dollars to a charity to be named later by the champion, which, of course, will be you.

Fly straight, friend.

-Coach

Hard to get excited about Richardson.
Hawks aren't having any problem getting excited about him.
I think you are confusing hawks with common pigeons. In the last 2 weeks he's jumped from the 7th round to the 5th. I will swim against the herd here and take a pass on a questionable starter in the toughest division to run the football. I predict the Rams finish last in this division.

I'm not saying Richardson isn't a good player, just that he's in a bad spot and with a fair amount of competition.

It's not hard to see why FBG has extended staff offers to Otis every year since these started coming out.

Otis is a man of the people, however and refuses to be corrupted into being forced behind a pay wall. He's open source genius, people.

I think you are confusing hawks with common pigeons. In the last 2 weeks he's jumped from the 7th round to the 5th. I will swim against the herd here and take a pass on a questionable starter in the toughest division to run the football. I predict the Rams finish last in this division.

I'm not saying Richardson isn't a good player, just that he's in a bad spot and with a fair amount of competition.
It's this sort of creatively barren thinking that has polluted this sport for far too long.

That's fine. If you want at RB32 you can pick that superstar running back still available in your draft who is the starter on a great run offense with a cakewalk rushing schedule.

Oh what, that kind of guy won't be available there? You don't say.

There's no magic in me telling you Jessica Alba is hot. That's not what we do here.

Knocked another draft out of the park.

For some reason the "higher ups" have it in for Otis and won't bring him on staff. It's a travesty. I'd be behind Otis opening up his own rival site just to show 'em up.

:confused:

Coach Oats only advises you on your draft. He can't hold your hand for in-season team management.

Those posts were the blueprints in leading me to two consecutive undefeated seasons.

Otis said:
FF Ninja said:
Otis said:
FF Ninja said:

That's fine. If you want at RB32 you can pick that superstar running back still available in your draft who is the starter on a great run offense with a cakewalk rushing schedule.

There's no magic in me telling you Jessica Alba is hot. That's not what we do here.
I'll take Ingram (RB36) over Richardson (RB32) all day. According to FBG, they've got almost the same SoS but Ingram will outscore Richardson this year.

ETA: According to FF calculator, Richardson had moved up to 4.10 (RB25) at the time you posted this. So you are kind of late to that party. No value there (he's actually going ahead of Mathews (RB26) which is just laughable). I cannot condone anyone drafting Richardson in the 4th/5th round over Ryan Mathews.

Last edited by a moderator:
[icon] said:
FF Ninja said:
Otis said:
FF Ninja said:

It's this sort of creatively barren thinking that has polluted this sport for far too long.
Your pathetic signature has polluted this board far too long. Seriously... did your mom not give you enough attention? Do you really need to quote every compliment you've gotten? Sad:

[[icon] FAN CLUB : WALL OF FAME:

Keys Myaths: Proving again why [icon] is one of the most underrated posters in the history of message boardsflapgreen: Moving? Son, he's been there for a while now. Try to keep up. :popcorn:

Gary Pinkel: Love when Icon gets bored and starts reeling them in. Makes my day a little brighter

2012 - OFFICIAL FBG FFA Member of the Year™ Nominee

Otis said:
FF Ninja said:
Otis said:
FF Ninja said:

I'll take Ingram (RB36) over Richardson (RB32) all day. According to FBG, they've got almost the same SoS but Ingram will outscore Richardson this year.

ETA: According to FF calculator, Richardson had moved up to 4.10 (RB25) at the time you posted this. So you are kind of late to that party. No value there (he's actually going ahead of Mathews (RB26) which is just laughable). I cannot condone anyone drafting Richardson in the 4th/5th round over Ryan Mathews.
Running back in a 3-way timeshare vs guy who is going to get 12-15 carries per game plus 3rd down duties. Taking Ingram makes a ton of sense there.

Otis said:
FF Ninja said:
Otis said:
FF Ninja said:

You're in the right place here in the Shark Pool, friend.

Also, I can't control that our Hawk Value List is powerful enough to move the market. It is what it is.

Otis said:
FF Ninja said:
Otis said:
FF Ninja said:

Running back in a 3-way timeshare vs guy who is going to get 12-15 carries per game plus 3rd down duties. Taking Ingram makes a ton of sense there.
Shark move.

FF Ninja said:
Hard to get excited about Richardson. IF he holds onto the job all year, he has to face Sea &amp; SF twice each and Arizona isn't that bad, either. I also have no faith in Bradford.

I like the Sidney Rice pick, but top 20 is a bit bold for a guy who only got 82 targets last year.
556 yards. That is how many total yards Steven Jackson had against Arizona, San Fran, and Seattle.

3.9 was his average yards per carry against those 3 teams. Jackson's overall season average was 4.1

At least last year, playing those games did not cause a major interruption to the Rams fantasy RB.

Coach, how do I get access to the Hawk's Nest forum? I'll take a PM since you can't disclose it to everyone.

Fellow Hawks. I've found this to be a pretty powerful technique at drafts.

I've found it incredibly intimdating to other teams if when your pick comes up in the first round, if you take your printed cheat sheet, stand up, rip it in half, throw it on the ground... take a small list of these players HANDwritten on a napkin, calmly make (or pass) your pick, and say under your breath, but loud enough for others to hear: "all your league championships are belong to us"

Lil' bit disappointed to see you give up on Mr. Little this year...otherwise, I look forward to my championship...thanks, O!

Otis said:
FF Ninja said:
Otis said:
FF Ninja said:

The 3-way timeshare was before the preseason, when it looked like the Rams had three backs with potential NFL-viability. In the last three weeks, two of them have disproven that thought. It's getting close to being a timeshare of one.

Of course, hawks kinda knew it would turn out that way before it happened. At least, it shoulda been the case...

It's not even worth the effort looking up how historically bad these have been.
Keep swimming, friend.
Keep throwing darts. Bound to be right one of these seasons.
Hmmm, you seem skeptical. Have you not taken advantage of Coach's wisdom in the past? Sheer jealousy, perhaps?
Not sheer if I'm more jealous of his ff prowess or his lunch calendar.

Actually very disappointed with the effort this year. The sharks and gups are all bumping Finley and who doesn't like Greg the Leg.

The entire write-up was worth it for this line alone:

Finley is like one of those giant football robots they have on Fox, and he's going to stomp into your living room, wake your baby, and have your wife blushing and putting on perfume.

I tried this technique at a draft yesterday.

For my first round pick I didn't say a word. When it was my pick, I just got up and filled a glass with beer, then sat back down. Matt, the mouthy one at the draft, finally said "You gonna pick, or what?!". I replied "I'll take an Otis", and I looked at the room for reaction. Most looked clueless and asked what I meant. I told them it was a common term used when passing on your pick. But a few - I coulda swore a few knew what an Otis was - or rather who he was - and knew I was under his guidance. Their eyes got a little bigger, just for a split second, before they regained composure. I had Otis' picks written on my hand in blue ball-point pen. While others scrambled on their Pads or Laptops, or shuffled their sheets when their pick came around, I simply, casually, turned my palm upwards and then made a pick.

All of this is true. It's an old neighborhood league that's been around for a while. Most, after the draft, asked "What the hell was that all about with your first round pick?", but a few didn't ask.

Maybe they knew?

Dear Bird Folks,My friend told me that the reason why hawks make such loud screams and screeches when they fly is to scare prey out into the open so they can swoop down and capture them. Is this true?

-Susan, Brewster

No offense Sue,But I have the feeling that you don't have a friend who told you that hawks scream to scare up their food. If I'm wrong I apologize in advance, but this seems like one of those questions where the asker feels a bit awkward asking a question so they claim the information is really coming from someone else.

You know, like the time I said to my parents, "A kid on the school bus said that eating paste will help keep my teeth white." I really didn't hear that on the bus but I didn't want my parents to yell at me for eating paste or think I was a total idiot. My mother bought the whole thing and told me not to talk to the kids on the bus. My father on the other hand said, "Sure, eat all the paste you want. It will keep me from having to buy more Colgate." Good 'ol Dad was all about saving money.

Whatever the source of this question, Susan, I have to say eating paste makes more sense than a hawk screaming to scare up prey. Hunting is all about the element of surprise. The last thing a hunting hawk wants to do is call attention to itself.

Our old pal the Blue Jay seems to know how other birds will react when they hear a hawk. Jays are great imitators and will often give off a loud hawk call when approaching a bird feeder. Researchers aren't sure why they do it, but one of the theories is that the jays trick the other birds into running for cover so they can have all the food for themselves. The people who complain that the noisy jays are scaring away all the "good birds" should know that the Jays also give hawk calls when they find a bird of prey. The thought here is that the brave jay is warning others of a present danger. Now who's the good bird?

Hawks don't scream to scare prey but to communicate with each other. They aren't gifted singers like songbirds, so they scream. And why not, it works for rock stars. The most notable hawk screamer is the Red-tailed Hawk. Red-tails have such a classic scream that Hollywood uses the voice of the red-tail no matter which bird of prey they are showing on the screen. Whether it be an eagle, an owl or a Thunderbird, the movie makers almost always pipe-in the scream of the Red-tailed Hawk. And believe it or not, the red-tails rarely get paid for doing the voice-over.

Red-tails use their signature scream to defend their territory. They are often heard circling high overhead, blasting out a warning call for any other red-tails in the area. They also give their piercing scream when danger is approaching their nest, especially when the danger is the dreaded humans.

The other day a woman called me to report several hawks screaming around her yard. She was concerned that there was something wrong with them. I went over and was thrilled to discover that it was a family of Broad-winged Hawks. The newly fledged birds were chasing their parents around the neighborhood, screaming for food as they went. I don't know if the young hawks ever got any food, but I sure did. The lady gave me a bag of fresh cucumbers from her garden. See, I knew this bird gig would pay off some day.

Just about all young raptors scream for food. If you are lucky enough to have insomnia, you can even hear baby owls shrieking late at night in hopes that the adult birds will stop by with a meal.

One of the cutest cries comes from the baby Osprey. They not only cry out when they are hungry, but they also cry out when they are chilled and need to be brooded. They have a cry that says "Mommy, we're cold, please come keep us warm." Man, that was sappy, but it's true.

For the most part birds of prey are silent when they are hunting. In fact, many owls have special feathers that muffle their wing beats to help make their flight silent. Many hawks sit quiet, high up on a perch, using their "hawk-eyes" to spot the slightest movement. Others fly silently near the ground or through the trees in hopes of surprising an unsuspecting meal.

Sorry I couldn't back you/and or your friend up on this noisy hawk theory, Sue. Anytime I've seen hawks around my feeders the other birds freeze. They don't flush out into the open. I've seen birds remain motionless for several minutes. They are clearly waiting for the danger to pass. Either that or they aren't moving because they've been eating paste.

http://www.birdwatchersgeneralstore.com/RedTailsScreech.htm

Coach Otis - Long time, first time. I play auction leagues. What is the equivalent of throwing away my first pick in that format?
Scott,

Thanks for calling. I'd recommend you make an announcement to the league that you're donating half your auction dollars to a charity to be named later by the champion, which, of course, will be you.

Fly straight, friend.

-Coach
This is funny!

Otis said:
FF Ninja said:
Otis said:
FF Ninja said:

The 3-way timeshare was before the preseason, when it looked like the Rams had three backs with potential NFL-viability. In the last three weeks, two of them have disproven that thought. It's getting close to being a timeshare of one.

Of course, hawks kinda knew it would turn out that way before it happened. At least, it shoulda been the case...
I think he was being sarcastic. He was implying Ingram is in a 3-way timeshare, but what you both seem to miss is that Ingram WILL get 13-16 carries a game and goal line duties in a potent offense. Richardson MIGHT get 12-15 carries and 3rd down duties in a crap offense. Also, you might have missed it, but Ingram is getting involved in the passing game. Skip to the 45 second mark.

You're in the right place here in the Shark Pool, friend.

Also, I can't control that our Hawk Value List is powerful enough to move the market. It is what it is.
I think you are confused. This value list was posted AFTER Richardson had moved up two rounds. It appears you are merely swimming upstream with the other guppies. Yummy.

Again, I think Richardson was an underrated talent, but he's mired in a tough division with a crappy offense. At 4.10 he is a very bad pick. I highly recommend Mathews at the same spot or waiting a few round and snagging Ingram.

I like Jeff Fisher and I think he'll turn the Rams around but he's got his work cut out for him. Sea and SF are playoff teams and Arizona is better than they are given credit for. That defense single-handedly got them off to a 4-0 start last year, including victories against the Seahawks and Pats.

I think on the contrary Vereen is the NE back that is overrated because everyone is looking for the next Sproles. Ridley is a beast, I think he might punch in even more TDs this season.

Users who are viewing this thread